Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hadlock posted:

Yeah that's exactly how our HFM progressed. Big fever spike, then nothing, then 48 hours later :cthulhu: and 9 days later it's like nothing ever happened

Ugh. Emailing preschool now to find out what their protocol is on HFM. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

nwin posted:

99% sure my 4 year old has HFM. He was sent home from preschool yesterday with a fever. We brought him to urgent care and no ear infection and no signs of HFM but that’s what the PA was thinking. Today he’s got some acne looking stuff around his mouth.

So, we will try and keep the 18 month away from him and we’ll wash our hands and sanitize, but…if I’m not showing symptoms, can I go to work? Never had to deal with this before. I work with people that are also parents so I don’t want to spread it. My wife stays at home with the 18 month old so she’ll have a rough week for sure…just curious if I should count on missing work (college teacher).

HFM is extremely contagious, it’s probably not a great idea to go to work if you can avoid it. It can also cause some nasty poo poo for adults, like peeling hands and open sores.

It took something like 10 actual days from when the blisters showed up to when they were mostly resolved. They looked gnarly, but baby never seemed bothered by them.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh yeah like a week after her stuff cleared up, the skin on her feet ... Came loose? Like she was wearing a clear produce bag from the grocery store over her feet, I was like what the gently caress. When I think of peeling, it's more like sunburn peeling and flaking. In his case her body was just like, "gently caress everything about THIS layer of skin! Off you go!"

Hands peeled more normal

For me I got a bunch of canker sores on the inside of my lip and like one or two on the outside

HFM is definitely the most concerning disease she's gotten so far simply because it's so :cthulhu: gross and visible

Our state doesn't exclude for HFM because, well, it's super loving contagious and by the time it presents, every kid in class has been exposed

As for work, yeah I finally understand why every 6-18 months I'd get these tiny red pinprick sores deep under my skin on my fingers, I think it was just a measured response to HFM that was circulating through my coworkers daycare

Between covid and daycare I have a much clearer idea of how/why I've felt bad in the past and how my immune system responds to xyz

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Our daycare’s policy was for the rash to “crust over” (i.e. no liquid within it) which took about 5 days both (lol) times. On the other hand, the lesions I got in my mouth from the second bout lasted for a full week.

You’re obviously less likely to spread it than a child in a care setting although better than safe than sorry if your sick leave allows it.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

nwin posted:

99% sure my 4 year old has HFM. He was sent home from preschool yesterday with a fever. We brought him to urgent care and no ear infection and no signs of HFM but that’s what the PA was thinking. Today he’s got some acne looking stuff around his mouth.

So, we will try and keep the 18 month away from him and we’ll wash our hands and sanitize, but…if I’m not showing symptoms, can I go to work? Never had to deal with this before. I work with people that are also parents so I don’t want to spread it. My wife stays at home with the 18 month old so she’ll have a rough week for sure…just curious if I should count on missing work (college teacher).

Pretty sure your family all going to catch it. It’s extremely contagious.

About work, we’ll, there’s a 7-or-so day incubation, so you have a few days to mull it over. You’re not going to spread it until you develop symptoms AFAIK.

Edit: that could actually be wrong. Do your research.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 8, 2022

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Day 4 of fever for the kid. It seems to come and go. I'll check it in the middle of the night and he'll be at 97 with no medicine for like 10 hours and then randomly he'll spike over 100 during the day just chillin doing kid things.

How long is normal for a cold (which is what this seems to be, negative covid test every day so far) to be feverish?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Immune systems vary so much it's impossible to say with much certainty

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Hadlock posted:

Immune systems vary so much it's impossible to say with much certainty

:negative::negative::negative:

I need him to be no fever tomorrow so he can go to daycare Monday. They've got a very sensible "No fever for 24h" policy, but I got so much to do especially since I missed nearly all of thursday and Friday taking care of him.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

L0cke17 posted:

:negative::negative::negative:

but I got so much to do especially since I missed nearly all of thursday and Friday taking care of him.

Daycare.txt

We put ours in traditional daycare back in February, I haven't been keeping track but pretty sure we're averaging 3-4 sick days a month not including weekends

This is the unspoken part of "once you have kids, your life is over", I think

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Fwiw when my toddler caught HFM my wife got it and I didn’t

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Yeah I’m just really pissed that I’m kinda betting our preschool will make the 4 year old stay home (who likely has symptoms) and then will make the 1.5 year old also stay home…I dunno-maybe not. We’ll have to see what Tuesday brings.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

dismas posted:

i am not an epidemiologist, but my guess is that it largely depends on the last time you were exposed. my symptoms were so severe that if i didn't have a toddler with it, i wouldn't have noticed

HFM is caused by at least two different families of virus, and one of the families, there are two distinct species so there's three versions to get, so three different immunities to build up, at least. CDC page is pretty high level on it but that's what i've gathered. I think only two are common in the US though

from what I understand, the concept of "once you've had it, you're immune forever" is optimistic at best, and in most cases boosters are needed. my wife and i qualify for polio boosters for some upcoming travel, even though it's supposed to be "lifetime" immunity

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

dismas posted:

My kid got HFM as an infant and I’m pretty sure I came away unscathed and my wife just had one little bump on her hand. We definitely consider ourselves lucky, especially with how sick the kiddo seemed, definitely one of the worst things she’s had so far.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

How much screen time do you let your kids have?

Ours is nearly three, and we've been pretty good about limiting it but holy poo poo neither of us can get anything done. She refuses to play on her own for more than a few minutes before starting "PLAY WITH ME". Which is adorable, but less so when it's 8 hours of my day.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
IME it doesn't get any better anytime soon (the play with me!) stuff. Ours is almost 6 and it still goes on.

We basically limit our kid to shows that at least seem pretty decent and not mindless junk (stuff that at least teaches friendship, kindness, etc...he was big on If you give a mouse a cookie for a long time, Pete the Cat, etc) or stuff that really interested him like wildlife documentaries on big cats and it was/is a staple of our weekends to do a bunch of stuff in the mornings together etc and then have an "afternoon break" where we get time to relax or do stuff that needs to be done and he can watch some stuff

If it starts causing problems (arguments or fits over continuing to watch) then we cut it off for awhile.

Basically...it's not going to ruin your kid to watch some tv for a bit. Personally I just try to avoid the crappy kid sstuff that really gets them addicted to watching the next episode of whatever because it's designed to be addictive

so really...a couple of hours a day on weekends after makign sure we do a bunch of family/other activities stuff

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Levitate posted:

Personally I just try to avoid the crappy kid sstuff that really gets them addicted to watching the next episode of whatever because it's designed to be addictive

Ours has so far only seen about 20 minutes of cocomelon when her aunt was here with new baby for a few days

Colomelon, vlad and nikki, blippi are all banned from our house, probably paw patrol too

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
We watch a lot of full-length animated movies in our house. Usually on repeat. But no frenetic kids' programming, after some missteps in the past we've learned to avoid that.

The screen time I wish we'd never introduced is cat videos on instagram. She looooves the kitties and can start and stop the playback on her own, but if she scrolls away then her new favorite cat is suddenly lost to the void of the Algorithm and she doesn't understand why we can't bring it back.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Took the little goblin to the doctor today.

Turns out there's a 2 hour turnaround Flu/RSV/COVID test now all done off one swab.

So that's cool.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

gently caress. Definitely HFM. His mouth starts showing spots last night but they kinda went away when he first woke up. By noon they’re definitely back and then some on his hands and a few on his back.

He took a hell of a nap and his little brother isn’t showing signs yet.

So, any tips on how to care for him? I know tylenol/motrin as needed, but do these blisters end up hurting at all or will he be trying to scratch them? I know with the sores in his mouth it can get difficult to eat anything so we’re prepared with popsicles and yogurt, but not sure what else to do. I’m going to reach out to work and ask what the best idea is since I’m not showing symptoms yet.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Oh hell maybe that’s what mine has too. He’s 5 and just has like 3-4 little tiny pimples around his mouth that have recently appeared. I didn’t even think about HFM until now, thanks thread. His hands/feet/butt all seem clear at least.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I'm not sure what it says about my physical and mental state when the most refreshed I've felt in months is due to me first taking a day off to look after the child that threw up in my face the day before, taking the next two days off because I caughr it too, and then just chilling at home over the weekend.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I don't think the blisters hurt unless you eat spicy food or press on them, even then it's not super terrible, it just looks awful :cthulhu: I would argue that Tylenol is overkill, but it can't hurt if you stick with the dosage recommendations

It's just gonna look awful for about a week. I think after the fever my kid didn't even realize they looked like a slice of dorm room pepperoni pizza

Ours was 85-90% around her mouth, and then maybe 3-10 small dots on each hand and foot, maybe one or two actual blisters on her knuckle and one foot

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

And don't panic if your kid's toenails fall out a couple of weeks later. It's a known side effect. (roughly put HFM can disrupt your body's ability to create nails for a bit which happens under your skin and takes a couple of weeks for the bad nail to emerge where it then falls off and a new one comes out a bit later)

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Re-sleep-training suuucks

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

nwin posted:

gently caress. Definitely HFM. His mouth starts showing spots last night but they kinda went away when he first woke up. By noon they’re definitely back and then some on his hands and a few on his back.

He took a hell of a nap and his little brother isn’t showing signs yet.

So, any tips on how to care for him? I know tylenol/motrin as needed, but do these blisters end up hurting at all or will he be trying to scratch them? I know with the sores in his mouth it can get difficult to eat anything so we’re prepared with popsicles and yogurt, but not sure what else to do. I’m going to reach out to work and ask what the best idea is since I’m not showing symptoms yet.

It mostly effected my daughters eating, and we had to be wary of pushing enough liquids and food. We basically alternated Tylenol/ibuprofen every three hours for a few days and she was more or less 100% fine (besides the lack of appetite).

Her hands and feet got pretty gnarly, but it never once seemed like they caused pain. We just made sure to I give long warm baths every day to keep them clean. Busted out the soft fleece pajamas to keep irritation down.

Wife and I both got it, and we both had a sore throat and general flulike stuff, but she broke out with blisters and was unwell longer than I was. She’s also pregnant, and HFM can cause pregnancy concerns like other viruses can, so that sucked.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
Today my 3.5 year old had a ‘concert’ in the living room while I put his baby brother to sleep. Blaring music, flashlight, dancing, and smart light bulbs changing colors. I came out to check on him once baby was down… and he was sleeping on the couch. This is the first time in his life he’s put himself to sleep voluntarily, and it was a good hour before his normal bedtime.

Naturally I’m spending this hour stocking up on Tylenol, ibuprofen, and comfort foods for whenever the other shoe drops. Hopefully it’s not covid.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
My son put himself to bed at 4:30pm on Saturday and slept until 7am the next day. No illness that we're aware of. :iiam:

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

My 2 year old managed to pick up impetigo and tonsillitis at the same time last week. Spent most of the weekend watching Bluey on repeat.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Hadlock posted:

I don't think the blisters hurt unless you eat spicy food or press on them, even then it's not super terrible, it just looks awful :cthulhu: I would argue that Tylenol is overkill, but it can't hurt if you stick with the dosage recommendations

It's just gonna look awful for about a week. I think after the fever my kid didn't even realize they looked like a slice of dorm room pepperoni pizza

Ours was 85-90% around her mouth, and then maybe 3-10 small dots on each hand and foot, maybe one or two actual blisters on her knuckle and one foot

My blisters hurt like hell, and they were all over my hands so I basically couldn't touch anything without pain. Including resting my hands lightly on my lap or stomach. So, that was fun. But I hear kids' blisters are usually less painful. Ours just had two little pimple-like things near her mouth, and never complained about pain. The only real problem for her was the fever.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
My 15 month old learned how to take off her diaper and it's the worst :(

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Slaan posted:

My 15 month old learned how to take off her diaper and it's the worst :(

God I'm not looking forward to that, our 12m/o loves mucking with her diaper and I just know one day soon I'm gonna find her either diaperless or with both hands shoved into a dirty diaper

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Ughhhh. Day 6 of fever now.

Doctors said it wasnt covid, rsv, or flu. He's just got a long cold I guess?

He keeps waking up and having no fever then around 10 or 11am he spikes to 101ish. I was so hopeful when he was 98 this morning.

And he threw up last night, he said he was feeling better, ate and drank a bunch for dinner, then puked it all up >.<

The doctor isnt worried though, apparently it's kinda expected?

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Took our 18mo to the zoo for the first time last night, little man absolutely loves giraffes. :3:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Same, but the aquarium. Otters and jellyfish are apparently the best :kimchi:

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Slaan posted:

Same, but the aquarium. Otters and jellyfish are apparently the best :kimchi:

Can confirm, went to the aquarium recently and the otter was a major showoff my for 16 month old daughter. Little bit of fancy flip for the 4yo, but hammed it up for the baby.

My son loved spotting the octopus and figuring out where he was hiding. :3:

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

We took my 2yo to the zoo a few weeks back and she was most interested in the pigs in the little farm section; totally nonplussed by the BABY TIGERS. Kids are stupid.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I really thought we were past the puking in the car phase with my now 3.5yo. She did a ton of it when she was 2-2.5ish, and it went away for a while. But it came back today on both the out and back trips and oh noooo not again.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

We managed to survive last week's ogre toddler illness due in part because my daughter was at fuckface's house for the week. Intimacy went out the window when the stomach bug made its rounds. But hey, he can go back to montessori on tuesday! It was closed today but i took the day off anyway since i can't bill to the client today.

Cue the school calling us at a little before 8.30 to let us know our daughter was spiking a fever and needed to come home. Which means she was sick before that. Say, possibly, this morning when her dad was getting her ready for the 30 minute drive to the same school that's a 15 minute walk for us...

It's seeming more and more like horsehumper dropped my kid off at school sick just so he didn't have to care for her.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

dismas posted:

We took my 2yo to the zoo a few weeks back and she was most interested in the pigs in the little farm section; totally nonplussed by the BABY TIGERS. Kids are stupid.

Our kids actively ignore the animals anytime we go to the zoo. They just want to climb the decorative rocks. There's a giraffe right there ready to eat leaves out of your hands - get off the drat rocks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

From daycare today: