Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mon Mothma's entire deal with Saw Gerrera is that she doesn't like stochastic terrorism. His random violence isn't particularly effective most of the time at actually fighting the Empire and tends to result in harsher crackdowns or the loss of valuable Rebel assets. She, Bail, and Luthen are trying to build an organized rebellion that can enact good plans instead of just car bombing poo poo and hoping it makes Palpatine give up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

i say swears online posted:

nah it's just regular terrorism, not stochastic

It would be funny if it were stochastic. Just knowingly saying awful, dehumanizing things on the holonet at ever opportunity about Stormtroopers and the Empire that are statistically likely to be heard by someone cracked in the brain enough to blow up a Death Star about it, but with no direct, immediate call to action.

chitoryu12 posted:

Mon Mothma's entire deal with Saw Gerrera is that she doesn't like stochastic terrorism. His random violence isn't particularly effective most of the time at actually fighting the Empire and tends to result in harsher crackdowns or the loss of valuable Rebel assets. She, Bail, and Luthen are trying to build an organized rebellion that can enact good plans instead of just car bombing poo poo and hoping it makes Palpatine give up.

I'd quibble even Saw doesn't meet the definition of stochastic, just indiscriminate or cruel and without quarter. Actual stochastic terrorism is like the stand alone complex. You don't even need an organization to do it, just a microphone big enough to reach someone with sufficient sympathy to what you're saying, the means, and lack of self preservation and impulse control.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 9, 2022

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
The Empire in this is no longer an occupying force and is becoming a stable enough society to its citizens - maybe some low key awful poo poo but before the totally cracked out Death Star poo poo. The nerd in the raid/heist party groks the thing in a way intellectual manner like what the gently caress is this show I’m finding myself cheering for the destruction of Space America and it just feels so weird.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
The Empire was always Space America.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Madurai posted:

With Mando having the Space Western angle pretty well handled, and the Ahsoka show covering Space Samurai Wizards, we will be in need of some more quality Space WW2.

An Ewok to kill a guy with a bow whose clearly based on mad hack Churchill and he gets his own show

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bobcats posted:

The nerd in the raid/heist party groks the thing in a way intellectual manner like what the gently caress is this show I’m finding myself cheering for the destruction of Space America and it just feels so weird.

it rules :d2a:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Bobcats posted:

The Empire in this is no longer an occupying force and is becoming a stable enough society to its citizens - maybe some low key awful poo poo but before the totally cracked out Death Star poo poo. The nerd in the raid/heist party groks the thing in a way intellectual manner like what the gently caress is this show I’m finding myself cheering for the destruction of Space America and it just feels so weird.

Maybe take that feeling and then try and math some things out about America's place in the world lol.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

An Ewok to kill a guy with a bow whose clearly based on mad hack Churchill and he gets his own show

Luke Skywalker and Chirrut Inwe were both that guy in the Rebellion.

I mean, can you imagine talking about Luke before he gets trained by Yoda?

"This guy carries a karking Lightsaber with him on missions? And no one says anything?"

"Look, I know it's weird; but besides that he's rock solid. Loyal, good fighter, and if you need close air support there literally isn't anyone better. You just have to accept the weirdness as part of the package."

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Bobcats posted:

Feeling very weird with the Rebellion’s origin portrayal as some vaguely ideological rich person not fully in favor of the big power so she funds stochastic terrorism. Like… gently caress. This isn’t a good and bad thing anymore - which was like the Star Wars thing.

Gul Dukat, is that you???

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Saw Guerrera has a long history of not necessarily being a big fan of the Republic, either.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah Anakin kinda accidentally created a part of the rebellion.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Saw Gerrera did nothing wrong. Even Leia agrees that Saw and the Partisan Front, "does what needs to be done". Should we really mourn for the rich aristocrats of the empire that were shotgunned to pieces at a high society dinner?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Servetus posted:

"Look, I know it's weird; but besides that he's rock solid. Loyal, good fighter, and if you need close air support there literally isn't anyone better. You just have to accept the weirdness as part of the package."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Saw Gerrera did nothing wrong. Even Leia agrees that Saw and the Partisan Front, "does what needs to be done". Should we really mourn for the rich aristocrats of the empire that were shotgunned to pieces at a high society dinner?

Saw also spent a couple of years chasing down leads on the Death Star before anybody else was looking in to it.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Also keep in mind when Saw petitioned the Jedi for help to train his local rebel force during the Clone Wars, they sent Darth Vader to give him tips. And then they won. If that's the guy you're learning war from, it's probably going to skew your perspective a little bit.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I just marathoned what there is of Andor. Why does this show feel like an episode of Sherlock so very very much?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
idk have you been shipping andor and syril

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
saw gerrera never shrieked at his servants, or had any for that matter.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

boo boo bear posted:

saw gerrera never shrieked at his servants, or had any for that matter.

He just tortured and murdered his cell, or threw them to Imperial prisons if they had sensitive info.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
they knew the risks and followed saw regardless.

no kid ever signs up to have a helicopter parent.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Fun fact this actor served in the South African military fighting, uh, Angola, in the late 80s.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

should have been cast as an imperial instead of a corpo

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

chitoryu12 posted:

Car bombing poo poo and hoping the [insert ruler] gives up has historically worked very well irl though. From what I've seen of Saw though, he does go off the deep end

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Shoehead posted:

Car bombing poo poo and hoping the [insert ruler] gives up has historically worked very well irl though. From what I've seen of Saw though, he does go off the deep end

The missing variable is the actual size of the Empire's forces/logistical capabilities, which I'm not sure will ever (for good reason) be elaborated on in a movie or TV show. In-show I think there's been mentions of imperial overextension, so partisan violence would probably work here.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Alan Smithee posted:

idk have you been shipping andor and syril

It's something about the music, the way they do establishing shots, the augmented reality text translation from Aurebesh that allows us to read Andor's APB, all of it feels like that particular style of high-end British crime/spook drama.

It also vibes like someone reads John le Carre a lot, which is no bad thing.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Admiral Bosch posted:

Fun fact this actor served in the South African military fighting, uh, Angola, in the late 80s.

He's also the face of Megabus

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Splendid posted:

He's also the face of Megabus

lmao

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

quote:

I'd quibble even Saw doesn't meet the definition of stochastic, just indiscriminate or cruel and without quarter. Actual stochastic terrorism is like the stand alone complex. You don't even need an organization to do it, just a microphone big enough to reach someone with sufficient sympathy to what you're saying, the means, and lack of self preservation and impulse control.

I'd say Saw is a classic accelerationist leftist who wants the Empire to crack down more and behave more oppressively because it fuels more popular rebellion. The more the Empire behaves disproportionately the more people are pissed off. Plus he's a dude who was fighting for one cause or another his entire life. His view is likely that the empire is just a continuation of the corrupt republic. He's looking at a longer struggle.

Edit: he's the kind of person who always gets thrown under the bus by political leaders. Also, in some ways his actions on Jedah confirm the effectiveness of his brutal tactics.

Love Rat fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 10, 2022

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
Also digging the show a lot. The line from Vulture (I think) about the first episodes being Ken Loach's Star Wars was only slightly exaggerated.

It's nice to have a SW show that actually pairs nicely with Tokyo Vice, which I've also been watching, in terms of aesthetic, detail, characterization and pacing. Quite nice.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Skimming wookieepedia and there's literally one example of saws' 'extreme tactics' across the entire canon

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Fallen Order's portrayal of Saw is a little odd in that he's failings are more to do with being a glory hound than a brutal pragmatist.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

Farm Frenzy posted:

Skimming wookieepedia and there's literally one example of saws' 'extreme tactics' across the entire canon

You have to take the alliance's word for it in Rogue One really because you're right: they never show anything other than him being a bit of an rear end in a top hat across all the animated series and video games.

I'm hoping in this series we'll see the actual poo poo.

Love Rat fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 10, 2022

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
In Rebels he's just an rear end in a top hat to a bug man for no reason. Lame.

It's rather weird to think of a professional revolutionary as an accelerationist.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
In cCassian's tribe on Camorria, where are the elders? The oldest one seemed to be like twenty. I can only assume either this is a Lord of the Flies castaway situation... or the elders all died or were enslaved to work in the mines i guess? i doubt it's Lord of the Flies because they seemed to have too much ritual and understanding of how to live in the jungle, but their clothing looks like it's made up of parts of mended Republic uniforms, which says castaway. It's all very confusing, semiotically. I also noticed that the kids know to be afraid of starships. Having subtitles for these parts would probably help explain all this, but there were none on my stream.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Kesper North posted:

In cCassian's tribe on Camorria, where are the elders? The oldest one seemed to be like twenty. I can only assume either this is a Lord of the Flies castaway situation... or the elders all died or were enslaved to work in the mines i guess? i doubt it's Lord of the Flies because they seemed to have too much ritual and understanding of how to live in the jungle, but their clothing looks like it's made up of parts of mended Republic uniforms, which says castaway. It's all very confusing, semiotically. I also noticed that the kids know to be afraid of starships. Having subtitles for these parts would probably help explain all this, but there were none on my stream.

None of the children's language was subtitled. It's not meant to be understood. Whether they were children left behind after the planet's mines were abandoned, or castaways from afterwards, is still up in the air.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

In Rebels he's just an rear end in a top hat to a bug man for no reason. Lame.

It's rather weird to think of a professional revolutionary as an accelerationist.

Yeah, it's not the best word choice given its association with reactionary/right-wing politics. I just meant in the sense of believing that making life worse under the empire would accelerate its demise.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Fallen Order's portrayal of Saw is a little odd in that he's failings are more to do with being a glory hound than a brutal pragmatist.

It's actually even odder because he's not even really shown as a glory hound, once the Empire counter-attacks he wants to stick to guerrilla warfare, retreat and fight another day with new Wookiee allies in tow. Cal is just naive and thinks they could liberate the planet and prevent any reprisals.

Farm Frenzy posted:

I love that another falling out between the Rebellion and the Partisans is that the Partisans blew up Moff Panaka, because the Rebellion loves rehabilitating respectable space Nazis so much.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kesper North posted:

I thought they said there was a mining disaster or something similar? My assumption is that the parents were all indentured laborers who were all killed in the disaster and then the kids are abandoned because evil empire.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Seldom Posts posted:

I thought they said there was a mining disaster or something similar? My assumption is that the parents were all indentured laborers who were all killed in the disaster and then the kids are abandoned because evil empire.

The disaster was said to be an Imperial mining disaster, but those scenes are pre-Empire. It's during the Clone Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Kesper North posted:

My guess is that there was environmental contamination from the mining disaster, and no one lives past their mid twenties due to some sickness from the contamination. New kids are being born to the population but there are no elders; it's Logan's run planet.

My reasoning for this theory is their language drift, the kids are probably generations removed from the mining disaster.