Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Apparently Embers Adrift launches in a week? Is that...a thing that anyone is aware of or is looking forward to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Pryce posted:

Apparently Embers Adrift launches in a week? Is that...a thing that anyone is aware of or is looking forward to?

Never even heard of Embers till now, but according to MMORPG.COM:

Sandbox Environment
No quest hubs. No mini-maps. No railroads. Experience an ever-expanding world of adventure.
Group-Based Gameplay
Overcoming impossible challenges is a feeling like no other and there is something even greater about doing it with friends and allies. Come make memories to share around the ember ring!
Immersive Experience
Blaze a path through untamed forests; forge into cavernous depths; become a light in the dark. Join our ranks to see what awaits across a new horizon.

No Railroads? I've been saying this for years that Railroad's and MMO's DO NOT MIX.
Glad someone's listening to me...

Also i'm wondering how the hell im going to find the ember ring with no mini map.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Pryce posted:

I played one of the beta weekends and it was actually pretty promising but the box fee+subscription for what is already an extremely niche MMO seems psychotic

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Phoix posted:

I played one of the beta weekends and it was actually pretty promising but the box fee+subscription for what is already an extremely niche MMO seems psychotic

Pay for the game
Pay a monthly sub
and no minimap.

Where do i go to buy this WoW killer mmo.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

FreeWifi!! posted:

Pay for the game
Pay a monthly sub
and no minimap.

Where do i go to buy this WoW killer mmo.

Finally a reason to print out maps into a binder like the old days of everquest.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

How long do you think it will take for someone to either mod in a minimap or figure out how to get your coordinates to put a minimap on a second monitor?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I said come in! posted:

How is it nowadays? It seems like its been getting the No Mans Sky treatment but not nearly as much as that game.

Depends what you want out of it. I still enjoy playing it with friends every few updates but it's still the same game at its core.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011

Phigs posted:

Nothing I said makes a persistent world impossible.

Imagine an MMO "Battle Royale" where the world doesn't restart constantly and instead people and places respawn over time and there is no dwindling circle. People spawn in without items and they're tasked with quickly finding their items and maybe even leveling up their characters. Then you've got resources around that you gather the same way as your gear, and you can kill players to get a % of the resources they've gathered and their gear. Every player dies after a certain amount of time and has to respawn just like as if they died. They can also get to special locations on the map to bank their full resources and respawn. The resources you gather pay for a meta progression that gives you better/different starting characters/items or lets you level up into different specs or make different gear or whatever. The characters can be your clones or summons or something like that.

The world persists, the characters don't. Or keep the characters and just reset their gear. Or whatever, this is just a quick idea to illustrate a possibility, not a game pitch. :banjo:

Point is this way you focus on making a game that is fun to regear/relevel because players are expected to do it always, and nobody loses anything beyond a % of gathered resources on death because they were going to lose all that anyway. I think a central problem of PVP in a lot of MMOs is you have a game where players want to make vertical progress and then somehow expect them to be okay with someone coming along and setting them backwards on that progress. Ideally you'd want to somehow make a game where the consequences of being killed are themselves desirable, that it is part of the gameplay loop such that players would be wanting to engage in it if they like the game.

congratulations you have basically invented escape from tarkov but bigger

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I see where you're coming from, but I'd actually say Tarkov is the exact opposite of what I'm suggesting. In Tarkov you risk the stuff you take in to the match with the hope that you will be able to extract with both it and extra stuff and if you die you lose everything. In the game I described the main point is you either don't take in anything, or you always lose whatever you bring in, so you never have to fear losing it. It's not possible to come out of the world with less than you had at the point you spawn into the world because at that point you have nothing (either because you have nothing, or because you can't take the stuff out that you came in with, so it is already lost). The point is to lower the stakes, while Tarkov really ramps up the stakes with its systems. Also in Tarkov there is no real growing in power during the time you spend in the world, you come in with your gear and your stats for the most part.

The game I'm describing is more like the kinds of Tarkov runs where you go in naked and your main intent is to put valuable items into your pouch (whatever the thing that holds stuff you don't lose on death is called) plus maybe get your hands on a gun and try your luck. Or the old hatchet runs where you tried to kill someone in melee and take their stuff to fight from there. If you lose then you lose nothing. They used to nerf these things whenever they were viable because they run counter to what they want Tarkov to be. Probably still do but I haven't played in a while.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Phoix posted:

I'd love to hear any other thoughts you had about the game. Are there quests? How's the writing? Is the combat "dangerous" the way it is in EQ and Wow Classic and isn't in FF14?

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'd love to hear any other thoughts you had about the game. Are there quests? How's the writing? Is the combat "dangerous" the way it is in EQ and Wow Classic and isn't in FF14?

Yeah I’ve been curious because I’m seeing some excitement from folks who love EQ/FF11 style games but I actually haven’t been able to find any information on what the game actually is?

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Literally everything I've read about Embers Adrift is that it's absolutely not ready and they're releasing it to get further funding to continue making the game. Also doesn't help that it seems like a grand total of 40 people are following the game's development. It'll be DOA.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

I mean that’s expected for an indie mmo, I was moreso curious what the gameplay gimmick was. What’s the stated gameplay intention?

Pryce
May 21, 2011

GoGoGadget posted:

Literally everything I've read about Embers Adrift is that it's absolutely not ready and they're releasing it to get further funding to continue making the game. Also doesn't help that it seems like a grand total of 40 people are following the game's development. It'll be DOA.

Their own forums seem to agree:

quote:

Releasing now is fine, for finances or whatever the reason is, but I think we would be better served publicly by being a bit more honest. Rightly or not, we need to try to see around our own passions for something because when players and press realise that there is no content above 30 for example, it may not be pretty if we are saying "MMO's are never finished" or words to that effect as an excuse.

quote:

Q: How the release will look outside of our bubble?

A: Unfinished, boring, slow, unfun, laggy, lack of Qol/wasting peoples time on unproductive things, subpar weapons/armors, unfun skills.

So...I think I'll probably wait to try it out.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Pryce posted:

So...I think I'll probably wait to try it out.

Yeah I found this gameplay video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSRsLO3mShk

It's badly unoptimized visually and the sound and animations make combat seem muddled and unresponsive. I'll wait; if it ends up coming together I'll probably hear about it from word of mouse or at some noteworthy gaming news outlet.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
They did a bang up job with the night time lighting. Otherwise at first blush it looks like another tab target crapfest :suicide: hope I’m wrong.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah I found this gameplay video:
I think this is the first time I've ever seen body shapes in character creation.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

That does not look very good

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
That's the game originally developed by a guy and his brother who founded the company, that was originally under a different name, that the company ended up kicking the guy off the project for "unknown reasons" (being weird in public posts), and did a massive overhaul of mechanics mid-development.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Something about MMOs man, lol

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
If I remember properly they did a beta and everyone was mad because soloing was like EQ-nonviable for most people and the guy posted like "lmao people don't even know how to make groups to level anymore" or something. The fact that they booted the guy off the project seemed like it implied they were making solo play viable & putting in more modern QoL stuff but they never said anything like that per se, and maybe they don't have the resources to do it. I'm also not sure what the hook of an EQ nostalgia MMO would be if you took out the EQ nostalgia, but I guess pantheon's doing it so why not?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
I think everyone's definition of QoL is a bit different and teams keep trying to improve on the EQ formula until they end up like Pantheon, indistinguishable from every other hot bar masher in the genre after tweaking just one more thing. Any attempt to remake it invariably tries to de-jank it and removes some of the magic in the process. Similar to the SS13 remake curse.

Happens even in the emulator space where the client and server are virtually identical to EQ. Take Project 1999 for example - they advertise themselves as classic EQ, but they've still got 3rd person camera, the newer lighting engine that makes night time less awful for human races, the nicer UI engine etc. Maybe that's QoL for some people, but my brain worms tell me I should be locked to first person view, trying to get out of the Surefall Glade zone tunnel as a level 1 human ranger for hours :colbert:

Will Monsters & Memories chase down the dragon and break the curse? I think they're making a drat good stab at it from what they've shown, but then I read the gameplay ideas channel on their discord and :stare:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i think p1999 found a hackish way to make night time suck for humans recently, i don't really know how it works but i just started playing there again a couple of days ago and hoo boy cant see a dang thing at night, however i did not have this experience when the server first launched

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Phigs posted:

Imagine an MMO "Battle Royale" where the world doesn't restart constantly and instead people and places respawn over time and there is no dwindling circle. People spawn in without items and they're tasked with quickly finding their items and maybe even leveling up their characters.

This is basically the mixed PvE/PvP maze game I'm working on that I pitched PvP divisions for a page or two back, except the maze seed resets daily too. Whatever tokens or currency or gathered in a previous run can be (use or lose it, Rogue Legacy style) spent to take unlocked items in with you, but unlocking an item for later purchase requires bringing it back to a safe area which could be quite a trek from a boss for instance.

If I wasn't already ankle deep in it I'd be stealing your idea though, yeah.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Albion Online did a very similar Blue - Yellow - Red pvp designation. Seems cool. I always liked the blockade run in theory, but actually never enjoyed it in practice.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I'll look that up, thanks!

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

cmdrk posted:

Will Monsters & Memories chase down the dragon and break the curse?

Considering it's from the same guy that added all of that QoL blandness to EQ during and after Luclin, probably not.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Tbf, I think the pressure to add QoL stuff to Luclin and onwards always coming from a vocal part of the playerbase and from SOE when they took over Verant. And this guy has conflicting ideas about the level of difficulty he wants in M&M.

M&M could be good, but I'm not expecting an EQ-like experience. I'm also not planning on touching it until launch, if at all. cmdrk is 100% right about the discord. Game Dev transparency can be a mistake sometimes.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

When are nostalgia hound developers supposed to start working on Vanilla - Wrath WoW ripoffs? That's really the sweet spot for me but I don't wanna put more money and time into any Blizzard games.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

100 degrees Calcium posted:

When are nostalgia hound developers supposed to start working on Vanilla - Wrath WoW ripoffs? That's really the sweet spot for me but I don't wanna put more money and time into any Blizzard games.

From what I've seen, most of them started popping up at around the same time as NFTs became big, so all the proposed projects ended up just being pay-to-earn bullshit that never arrived. I imagine the process is hampered by classic WoW existing as it is, as well as private WoW servers being around in sufficient quantities to keep people sated.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
There were a ton of wow clones, they each cost a hundred million dollars and they were all dogshit.

e: like all the kickstarter/indie mmos either collapse or find some answer to the question "how can i make an MMO with barely any content because I've got $700,000 and whatever I can trick players into giving me to play an unfinished game"

Ezane
Sep 27, 2016
I hope Embers Adrift is good, but I’ve stopped holding out hope for a cool new MMO. I threw 30 bucks at it because I’m bad with money and I figure I can get enough entertainment out of it over the weekend at the very least.

For the folks that were talking about WoW nostalgia MMOs Turtle WoW is great imo. It’s literally WoW but they’ve added their own end game content and mechanics throughout. As far as I can tell the community seems decent?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

I heard the private WoW ascension server was good with it's build-a-class making it pretty unique, but I doubt you'll find any new "vanilla wow" experiences, both because it's already around and because it's mostly rose colored glasses or the company you had that made it seem enjoyable at the time.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Ezane posted:

I hope Embers Adrift is good, but I’ve stopped holding out hope for a cool new MMO. I threw 30 bucks at it because I’m bad with money and I figure I can get enough entertainment out of it over the weekend at the very least.

For the folks that were talking about WoW nostalgia MMOs Turtle WoW is great imo. It’s literally WoW but they’ve added their own end game content and mechanics throughout. As far as I can tell the community seems decent?

chromiecraft is okay for getting a wow fix, iirc right now it's classic content with wotlk talents and all the jank that implies

i played there for awhile but it turns out classic content isn't great for anything but raidlogging after a certain point

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Vinestalk posted:

Tbf, I think the pressure to add QoL stuff to Luclin and onwards always coming from a vocal part of the playerbase and from SOE when they took over Verant. And this guy has conflicting ideas about the level of difficulty he wants in M&M.

M&M could be good, but I'm not expecting an EQ-like experience. I'm also not planning on touching it until launch, if at all. cmdrk is 100% right about the discord. Game Dev transparency can be a mistake sometimes.

The problem is that everyone who wants a classic EQ-like experience has their "I love the game but I'd just change this one little thing" and the little thing is always something different. Add them all up from everyone involved and you just reinvent WoW. Pantheon is basically following that roadmap and judging from how M&M has been going I expect them to do so as well. P1999 is as dogmatic as it gets about preserving classic EQ, warts and all, and that's honestly the only outcome that doesn't result in the game losing all of its identity. A lot of things that make classic EQ great as a whole game come from aspects that, when viewed in isolation, seem horrible.

E: Also, yes. Game dev transparency is terrible for a game like this, especially when you combine it with the performance the devs always feel like they need to do about not shutting anyone down and acting like everyone's idea is great. How they'll consider it and they'd add it if only there were just enough time and resources. Just once I'd love to see one of them just completely shut someone down with "wow that idea is hot garbage what were you thinking". I'd instantly kickstart anyone I saw doing that.

Sachant fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 14, 2022

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

Sea of Thieves was so frustrating because it's so close to being an amazing game.

They day they announced they were taking out Arena, I uninstalled.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Sachant posted:

E: Also, yes. Game dev transparency is terrible for a game like this, especially when you combine it with the performance the devs always feel like they need to do about not shutting anyone down and acting like everyone's idea is great. How they'll consider it and they'd add it if only there were just enough time and resources. Just once I'd love to see one of them just completely shut someone down with "wow that idea is hot garbage what were you thinking". I'd instantly kickstart anyone I saw doing that.

THANK YOU. I've said this for 10 years IN THE INDUSTRY. Devs get really caught up in the hype and the desire to be loved by everyone, but we desperately need to be braver and more willing to say "Sorry, no." and express that not every game is intended for every person.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Hey, check this thread out today!!!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4014755&perpage=40&noseen=1

It’s one of the “Around the forums in 80 days” posts from that GBS thread

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Sachant posted:

The game and the dev were trash but Life is Feudal MMO had a town hall -type community chat with the lead dev and some of the reps of the bigger clans. One of the really weird feudal roleplay clans wanted him to change how combat works so it fits their fantasy of ranked formations better. The kind of people who called it their "military doctrine". The response was laughter, "no", and more laughter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Wildstar tried.