Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cartoon Man posted:

:siren: I FOUND THEM! :siren:

Took the family out to Bob Evans, went to pay the bill at the cash register where they have their tiny little country store and lo and behold! They had like 6 racks of them cause nobody wanted it, lol. Most of the other candy on the rack was gone, but they had poo poo tons of circus peanuts…I grabbed my prize!

Pretty loving good! Love the banana flavor. Has a nice chewy squish to it, A+ would buy again! Maybe Bob Evans is the S tier of circus peanuts candy, but I was pleasantly surprised by the quality.

Maybe it's just the photo, but the label looks like it's covered in the grime of many years of sitting on a shelf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

steinrokkan posted:

Maybe it's just the photo, but the label looks like it's covered in the grime of many years of sitting on a shelf

That's how you know they're authentic!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

I looked and could not find an expiration date anywhere on the packaging…
:ninja:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
they improve with age. i have one that i've kept in a jar on a shelf for 10 years. almost ripe.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I mean when you eat them you can’t tell whether it’s stale or chewing as intended. Still tastes great!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
seasoning the pan

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

axolotl farmer posted:

Are you boneheads so stuck debating regional US pizza styles that you are missing this Swedish horror that even I won’t defend?

That is a pickled herring coctail with lumpfish caviar and an egg yolk.

You know what... Absolutely would

Edit - I managed to find the recipe and now I want to make/photograph/eat it.

hallo spacedog has a new favorite as of 01:52 on Oct 9, 2022

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

My regional grocery store chain has a section of the candy aisle dedicated to old-tyme candies—circus peanuts, Mary Janes, chick-o-sticks, the Blackjack/Clove/Beeman’s trio, necco wafers, nik-l-nips, bit-o-honeys, all the stuff people hate. I like them all though, the only candy that I think is cursed are dots/crows/jujubes but only because they get jammed in my teeth worse than anything else.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

axolotl farmer posted:

Think shrimp coctail.

I always think of it said all drunkenly like AC/DC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPlqLHcphyw

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I like when candy comes in that thick vinyl plastic bag, like it was meant for decoration but you decided to eat it.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

My regional grocery store chain has a section of the candy aisle dedicated to old-tyme candies—circus peanuts, Mary Janes, chick-o-sticks, the Blackjack/Clove/Beeman’s trio, necco wafers, nik-l-nips, bit-o-honeys, all the stuff people hate. I like them all though, the only candy that I think is cursed are dots/crows/jujubes but only because they get jammed in my teeth worse than anything else.

I bought my dad a pack of Beeman's for Christmas one time but just because we bonded over the movie The Right Stuff when I was a kid and there's a recurring bit between Chuck Yeager and his buddy Ridley about loaning him a stick of Beeman's. He wrapped it in ribbon and made an ornament out of it.

:unsmith:

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Dots are amazing, the trick is that you don’t fully bite down but kind of knead them repeatedly between your molars until they get warm and soft enough to push through with your tongue against your palate and separate into swallowable pieces

I realize I may not be conveying the appeal with that description, haha

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Dots are amazing, the trick is that you don’t fully bite down but kind of knead them repeatedly between your molars until they get warm and soft enough to push through with your tongue against your palate and separate into swallowable pieces

I realize I may not be conveying the appeal with that description, haha

So the guy likes to gently caress candy with his tongue, nothing wrong with that. dotilingus.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Tacos aren't baking!!!

Her avocado must have been underripe if she could peel it like that though.

Around here, Hass avocados are sold significantly underripe to extend their shelf life, and pretty much no one I know seems to realize that you’re supposed to let them ripen before use. First time the Missus and I made guacamole for a party, everyone thought we were loving wizards.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

I feel like cocktail means something different over there

Kuksvans.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Been a while since I had ears and penii in jelly.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

If this is honey mustard, it's a distinct "maybe"

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

I like how the small paper napkin is futilely trying to suck out the infinite grease in that thing.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

The glistening is what always gets me.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

glazed meats

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Ror posted:

glazed meats

I thought we were over the principle and superintendent luncheon meme.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

By popular demand posted:

Been a while since I had ears and penii in jelly.

Looks like it had also been a while for whomever glazed the plate.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:yikes:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
grandma came from Circumstances.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Not any more disgusting than shrimp.
:shrug:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Related: Cherokee yellowjacket soup

https://twitter.com/hseanbrock/status/910836231109595136

So some guys made it https://www.vice.com/en/article/8xyydk/yellow-jacket-wasp-soup

Honestly sounds like another Circumstances type food.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

So it's a pizza, sure, but what is that sauce??

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Zipperelli. posted:

it's ranch I think

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

If your ranch has a yellow tint, please seek medical advice

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Captain Hygiene posted:

I despise ranch, but this is an accurate statement

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Captain Hygiene posted:

What would a doctor know about yellow ranch, shouldn't you seek culinary advice?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Zipperelli. posted:

Looks like bearnaise to me at least.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Related: Cherokee yellowjacket soup

https://twitter.com/hseanbrock/status/910836231109595136

So some guys made it https://www.vice.com/en/article/8xyydk/yellow-jacket-wasp-soup

Honestly sounds like another Circumstances type food.
Maybe I'm not reading it right but it seems like you're supposed to add the yellowjackets, not the nest itself.

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

Most places around here offer hollandaise on za and one time I ordered it by accident. I found out that baked hollandaise tastes like hot buttery mustard cream and it actually made me physically ill lol.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

My Lovely Horse posted:

Maybe I'm not reading it right but it seems like you're supposed to add the yellowjackets, not the nest itself.

Yeah, I don't know why they would puree the actual nest with it-- the original recipe is pretty clearly instructions on how to collect just the grubs. Outside of the difficulty of digging up a wasp nest (seems like a lot of work for not much food! but I guess in times of starvation you do what you must), it seems like a pretty standard protein source. The cicada recipe below isn't that different, except the cicadas obligingly dig themselves up.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sure we're hungry now, but in seventeen years we'll eat like kings!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Fine I'll say it. I'll loving say it:

"Sounds like some good grub."