Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I like to call Halana and Alena Galana and Palena because they are lesbians. Thank you

idgi. oh wait I just got it nvm. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Easy first win, after yesterday's slightly salty run maybe I walk away while I'm ahead lol

Edit: yeah maybe i take a week or two just keeping it casual, into historic brawl where Sheoldred can get hit with a Wishclawed Swords to Plowshares

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 8, 2022

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

kalel posted:

drat it I was gonna do this!!!!

I watched the same video and I opted to port the deck he played to explorer instead, keeping the pyromancer and Nicol bolas stipulations. trip report, it's basically worse rakdos mid-range as Bosh mentions in the video. you have to work for your 2-for-1s whereas rakdos does not. in rakdos every card just does the thing immediately. grixis really hurts from the lack of treasure cruise and EI, mazemind tome isn't a perfect replacement. I also came very close to decking against rakdos when I played against it and won, it takes forever to stabilize

update, I subbed the pyromancers for improbable alliances and the deck feels a little better. a bunch of 1/1 fliers are really difficult for rakdos to deal with and unless they find and cast their one-of-sometimes-two-of invoke despair, the alliance isn't going anywhere. I also went up to 4 sheoldreds in the 75 and one ox of agonas in the main. the deck doesn't really care about gy hate except for the ox which is nice when they bring in unlicenced hearse and it does nothing of relevance

btw, copying oxen with reflection of kiki-jiki is pretty busterino

kalel fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 8, 2022

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Those gamer avatars are kinda funny.
Though Mythos the Mythic fan is kinda strange. I found the small print implying that she is a lore fan.
But I can't unsee Mythos with her deck full of mythic rares as the whale gamer archetype. The kind of magic player that does buy mythic wildcard bundles, or 1000$ proxies.

Also there is a customer survey advertised in the advertisings. You can tell wizards if you want them to focus on bringing 4-player games, modern format or deck sharing or deck rental to arena.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

VictualSquid posted:

Though Mythos the Mythic fan is kinda strange. I found the small print implying that she is a lore fan.
But I can't unsee Mythos with her deck full of mythic rares as the whale gamer archetype. The kind of magic player that does buy mythic wildcard bundles, or 1000$ proxies.

Also there is a customer survey advertised in the advertisings. You can tell wizards if you want them to focus on bringing 4-player games, modern format or deck sharing or deck rental to arena.

her name is vorthos and you don't have to have a deck full of mythic rares to make a deck that centers around a given character?

edit: do you not know what 'myth' means outside the context of 'mythic rare'

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

flatluigi posted:

her name is vorthos and you don't have to have a deck full of mythic rares to make a deck that centers around a given character?

edit: do you not know what 'myth' means outside the context of 'mythic rare'

I do. But the first time I saw a character with a gold color theme and the title mythic on mtg arena the first association I had with those character traits has nothing to do with the story kind of myth.
I probably would interpret her differently if I hadn't encountered her while logging in only to check for stonks. Or if I hadn't encountered her right after the peak mtg finance announcements of last week.

Also, she has a massively mythic heavy deck in the current event. Even if it is supposed to Bolas themed.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Event is hilarious, pick Johnny

How it started:

How it's going:

VictualSquid posted:

The avatars are from a series of Un-cards printed about the "player psychographics Timmy, Johnny, Spike,Vorthos and Mel (two links). The BG card isn't part of this cycle and Mel hasn't been printed yet.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Playing the Timmy deck seems wise, seeing as everything costs 0 so you can just drop multiple massive creatures. My opponent scooped when I had like 20 power on the board on turn 1 and then dropped Ulamog on turn 2.

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah I just did a timmy game where drew 5 cards and hit for 21 hasty damage before my opponent got to take a turn

It's probably the most busted deck

edit: twice in a row

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

It may not be the most busted deck, but Johnny the Combo is probably the funniest. Liliana's Contract into Demenlord Belzenlok into Mind's Desire - with Aether Marvel on the board? Yes, please! Simic Ascendancy, Animation Module, and Cathar's Crusade? That won't take long!

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

It may not be the most busted deck, but Johnny the Combo is probably the funniest. Liliana's Contract into Demenlord Belzenlok into Mind's Desire - with Aether Marvel on the board? Yes, please! Simic Ascendancy, Animation Module, and Cathar's Crusade? That won't take long!

I like that this is a completely different set of incredible combos than any of the one's i've had going on

Which is indeed exactly why Johnny is the best one

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Shooting Blanks posted:

It's pretty good but I don't think a single card from his flavor text is in Arena:

quote:

"Just wait till I get my Krark-Clan Ironworks, Genesis Chamber, and Grinding Station. Oh yeah, and a second Myr Retriever."

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Timmy is pretty fun, with all those big dinos.

But, Jonny being able to cast every card in his hand several times per turn is just cruel.

Spike brought a standard deck to an omniscience event.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

How is anyone winning at all with Johnny? I keep getting matched vs Vorthos's insane bullshit that makes me discard all my stuff while they just draw/remove forever and I'm dead in the water on turn 2.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

fridge corn posted:

Am I the only one who manually changed their basics to the DMU lands every draft?

i manually pick a different land art every draft and for every deck,i thought everyone did this since you get so many free variants

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Horace Kinch posted:

How is anyone winning at all with Johnny? I keep getting matched vs insane bullshit that makes me discard all my stuff while they just draw/remove forever and I'm dead in the water on turn 3.

Johnny draws his deck, plays his deck, bounces his deck back to hand, plays it again, then triggers aetherflux for lethal. On turn 1. And if the opponent survives he has the funnier wincons.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Horace Kinch posted:

How is anyone winning at all with Johnny? I keep getting matched vs Vorthos's insane bullshit that makes me discard all my stuff while they just draw/remove forever and I'm dead in the water on turn 2.

i got my win very quickly with vorthos haha, it was

Timmy plays like 5 dudes
i play that artifact that taps to tutor for 8 mana, then cast that red spel that gives you 10 mana, then tutor'd up Overwhelming Splendor, he scooped

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

I kept losing to Johnny with Timmy cause they would bounce all my dinosaurs repeatedly. Won with spike with epiphany and priest of forgotten gods.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Remember that you get WUBRG for each turn, so you can activate abilities a second time on the opponent's turn if you have them

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

VictualSquid posted:

Timmy is pretty fun, with all those big dinos.

But, Jonny being able to cast every card in his hand several times per turn is just cruel.

Spike brought a standard deck to an omniscience event.

Yeah the spike deck just seemed bad. I got my win with it and immeediately stopped. Maybe I should try a couple of the others.

Fricking Llanowar elves and a whole bunch of basic doomblade effects in a frickin omniscience event.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Johnny is definitely the deck to play if you want to have fun. Timmy and Vorthos can win games, but usually it’s just because they play a single card that totally ends things for them (Ulamog, Apex of Power, etc.) Johnny makes you find the win.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

the Spike deck should have been all of the mystical archive and all of the cards on Arena that have been banned... it would have been fun to play with Oko lol

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ariong posted:

Johnny is definitely the deck to play if you want to have fun. Timmy and Vorthos can win games, but usually it’s just because they play a single card that totally ends things for them (Ulamog, Apex of Power, etc.) Johnny makes you find the win.

Vorthos deffo has dumb combos too, like the one i mentioned.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

the Spike deck should have been all of the mystical archive and all of the cards on Arena that have been banned... it would have been fun to play with Oko lol

I know right? That's what the Spike card did was tutor up banned poo poo.

edit: was there any reason they couldn't have made this historic brawl with the actual cards as commanders?

edit 2: well, ignoring the color restriction, but still that would have owned

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 8, 2022

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
For those not on Discord, this is a solid Johnny first turn:

This was my one Vorthos play:

Absolutely sickening

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I knew it was a good event when I picked Johnny and won with turn 1 simic ascendancy, turn 2 mind's desire, play my whole deck, replay the demon that gets +1/+1 counters a bunch of times to win on my next upkeep

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Played the Johnny deck and played the “cast a spell proliferate” card then copied my Ajani Sleeper Agent with spark double, played a spell, ulted both ajanis then paradoxical outcome’d my creature back to my hand to replay them and win via ajani poison counters. Deck rules.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Johnny is great. I think the only times I haven't played to my outs is against overwhelming splendor. I don't think there is a way to get out from that card.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

People tend to scoop to turn one ulamog, so :shrug:

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
I remember when jumpstart came out it was fun and I had a spreadsheet that let me collect a bunch of rares/mythics for cheap(ish). Jump In seems decent for me since i'm just getting returning and my standard is not much more than the starter decks. However this time around I don't know what cards are good/worth going for. Can you guys check out the list and give me some reccomendations?

https://mtg.fandom.com/wiki/Jump_In!#Packets
'

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

The timmy deck is real fun. Had some good times getting the 'draw for each dinosaur' in my opening hand. Had a game where an oppo sac'd their domri to fight my creature, but in saccing the domri lost 1 power so didnt finish it off. One where my oppo did a smug g1 'good game' when i had umalog, regisaur alpha and goring ceratops in my opening hand. Another where an opponent didnt realise their creature was stolen and bounced it accidentally. Fun times

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Trying to work on my drafting game. I feel like I did okay this time.

My draft: https://www.17lands.com/draft/ab41d726468847ff8aa9c86a54d6e536

My pool: https://sealeddeck.tech/S2BJBh2DJi

A little annoyed I bypassed dual lands but I felt like there were better option at the time. Should I just go Rakdos or splash in white for Leyblne Binding? Not much else in white to add for it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
for those sick of the current meta's bullcrap, especially mono B, might i suggest, the humble where wolff

4 x Ascendant Packleader
3 x Tail Swipe
2 x Abrade
3 x Kami's Flare
4 x Packsong Pup
3 x Kessig Naturalist
2 x Reckless Stormseeker
2 x Weaver of Blossoms
3 x Tovolar, Dire Overlord
2 x Howlpack Piper
3 x Arlinn, the Pack's Hope
3 x Burn Down the House
3 x Avabruck Caretaker

8 x Mountain
1 x Sokenzan, Crucible of Defiance
8 x Forest
2 x Karplusan Forest
4 x Rockfall Vale

that's the build i've settled on. it has gone a ridiculous 15 wins in a row in Plat/now Diamond. i don't know that i've ever gone that many wins in a row with any deck ever. it's stupid. woofs are good

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I won the Qualifier Play-In with this fun match. My opponent had over 150 power on the board, but he couldn't stop two flying creatures.

This deck is still fantastic at crushing mono-black. I took it to Mythic #400 last month.

Deck
1 March of Otherworldly Light (NEO) 28
20 Plains (ANA) 23
3 Fateful Absence (MID) 18
4 Raffine's Informant (SNC) 26
2 Sunset Revelry (MID) 38
3 Destroy Evil (DMU) 17
4 The Restoration of Eiganjo (NEO) 34
4 Wedding Announcement (VOW) 45
3 The Wandering Emperor (NEO) 42
2 Elspeth Resplendent (SNC) 11
4 Invoke Justice (NEO) 21
4 Sanctuary Warden (SNC) 30
2 Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire (NEO) 268
2 Roadside Reliquary (NEO) 272
2 Spirited Companion (NEO) 38

Sideboard
3 Knockout Blow (SNC) 20
3 The Fall of Lord Konda (NEO) 12
1 Intrepid Adversary (MID) 25
1 Knockout Blow (SNC) 20
1 Intrepid Adversary (MID) 25
1 Serra Paragon (DMU) 32
2 Cemetery Protector (VOW) 6
2 Enduring Angel (MID) 17
1 Destroy Evil (DMU) 17

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

hmm i should probably consider that list if Fable is really gonna get banned lol

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

hmm i should probably consider that list if Fable is really gonna get banned lol

Where are you seeing this? If there is any card likely to get banned on Monday it's probably Fable, but it doesn't feel as format-warping as most of the Standard bans from the past few years.

Edit: My own guess is that Greasefang will see a ban in Historic/Explorer. I'm not sure how much play it sees in Pioneer.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

This is seriously the best Omniscience event yet.

Average game:

Also, my prediction for the ban is that it will be for a format that is not on Arena.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Mostly this event is me watching my opponent get god draws and combo off for twenty minutes

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Froghammer posted:

Mostly this event is me watching my opponent get god draws and combo off for twenty minutes
Oh so you're one of those opponents who see me go off like a maniac, exiling their entire hand, but don't just concede?! When I see Nicol or Liliana's draw-4-cards on the first turn, I just "gg" and move on to save us both a lot of time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

VictualSquid posted:

This is seriously the best Omniscience event yet.

Average game:

Also, my prediction for the ban is that it will be for a format that is not on Arena.

Is there anything in Modern/Legacy/Vintage that's warping the format currently?