Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Got 110 on Blursed mode!

Bolt I think is the strongest blessing, or at least one of them. Guaranteed reward for getting mana, makes the mana-gain blessings way more powerful, lets you take the burst-affecting curses for very little downside. Helps in those early fights on the start of a loop when curses make you suck at fighting (one-taps Gnolls!). Also it almost strictly dominates Cruel Burst. Honestly this run had the nut blessings and could have gone a lot further if I hadn't hit the one encounter that hard-counters me, imp/chest/triple grave. Doing super strong damage doesn't help into Tough and Small Bonus+ and Skulk means the fight gets out of hand super fast.

Slice and Dice 2.0 rules! Game of the decade contender!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Started a hard run with the golden cache blessing. Thought I might be throwing but look at what I've got by round 4:

:getin:

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Someone made a crazy puzzle in discord (for paste mode)

{v:202i,d:{n:10,p:{h:[Buckle~Square Wheel~Martyr,Statue~Wolf Ears~Cracked Phylactery~Mirror Mask,Defender~Square Wheel~Martyr,Statue~Wolf Ears~Spell: Betray~Mirror Mask,Roulette~Demon Claw~Spell: Hinder~Determination,Squire~Square Wheel~Martyr,Statue~Wolf Ears~Mirror Mask,Alloy~Square Wheel~Martyr,Statue~Wolf Ears~Cracked Phylactery~Mirror Mask]},m:[Deep Pockets,Essence Capture,Leyline,Hero heavy,Shrink,-3 Max Mana,Mana Debt+,Mana Debt+,Mana Debt+,Preparation,Preparation,Poison Immunity],l:{m:[Wisp,Imp,Imp,Imp,Imp,Imp,Imp,Imp,Imp]},sl:10},c:[1gZ4c,1bZ4c,1eZ4c,1ha1,19d2,20d1,21a4,22d0,23a1,2493,25e0,26f1,27d0,28e1,4,20f2,21a3,22f2,23c0,24h3,25Z5,26c1,27c4,28Z3,4],s:232035143244024141,p:["4[red]DO NOT WIN THIS TURN!!!!!!!!![n][n][n][grey]Submitted by Thunder",10]}

My friend made this tricky one

`{v:202i,d:{n:8,p:{h:[Spellblade,Gladiator,Stalwart~Citrine Ring,Disciple,Sparky]},l:{m:[Troll King]},sl:8},c:[1141,12Z3,20Z4,4,2042,4,1333,2022,4,20Z1,4],s:122522,p:["4Lethal Puzzle - defeat all enemies this turn[n2][n2][grey]Submitted by Sunil",10]}`

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I unlocked Generate mode. That was interesting, to say the least. At one point I had a yellow guy with three bloodlust 1 damage sides and the item that gives sides +1 for each identical side paired with a red guy who had two heal/shield/mana gain sides and the item that gives those sides era. poo poo got done that run.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Tann posted:

My friend made this tricky one

`{v:202i,d:{n:8,p:{h:[Spellblade,Gladiator,Stalwart~Citrine Ring,Disciple,Sparky]},l:{m:[Troll King]},sl:8},c:[1141,12Z3,20Z4,4,2042,4,1333,2022,4,20Z1,4],s:122522,p:["4Lethal Puzzle - defeat all enemies this turn[n2][n2][grey]Submitted by Sunil",10]}`

This seems weird as a puzzle because I was left with 1 mana left over. Would be an easy fix, though.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
my main opinion of the update so far is that it's really good, but I feel like a few of the new enemies are really overturned.

namely Gnolls. They hit extremely hard, are very tanky, can straight up wall out some builds and their low HP let's them avoid duck under attacks with heavy.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Aww crumbs. I do have a Steam Deck...

We'll see.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

FZeroRacer posted:

my main opinion of the update so far is that it's really good, but I feel like a few of the new enemies are really overturned.

namely Gnolls. They hit extremely hard, are very tanky, can straight up wall out some builds and their low HP let's them avoid duck under attacks with heavy.

Honestly I find Gnolls to be perfectly fine. They do a lot of damage but at a cost (either hitting the healthiest hero or skipping a turn), and while their defense is obnoxious, as long as you can deal at least 2 damage (which a ton of heroes can) they don't have any more HP than a Wolf or Crone. They might slightly devalue heroes like the juggler, but I think that's fine, not every hero is optimal in every situation.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Arzaac posted:

Honestly I find Gnolls to be perfectly fine. They do a lot of damage but at a cost (either hitting the healthiest hero or skipping a turn), and while their defense is obnoxious, as long as you can deal at least 2 damage (which a ton of heroes can) they don't have any more HP than a Wolf or Crone. They might slightly devalue heroes like the juggler, but I think that's fine, not every hero is optimal in every situation.
i recently lost a run to them because there was no way for me to actually target them and take them out early, since there were a couple of high hp enemies and my strongest attacks were all heavy-based. so first round the gnolls just obliterated someone immediately and it was over from there.

if you can only deal two damage a turn they effectively have six hp and their high damage makes seeing two gnolls or more nightmarish to deal with

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Heavy is just a really bad keyword and I try and avoid it when at all possible.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

distortion park posted:

Heavy is just a really bad keyword and I try and avoid it when at all possible.

Not an empty quote. heavy is a trap.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Of the three t1 Orange I like Lost the most because they have the most sides, and early Cruel can be nice for Gnolls

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Junpei posted:

Of the three t1 Orange I like Lost the most because they have the most sides, and early Cruel can be nice for Gnolls

Cruel does absolutely nothing against Gnolls, though? The -1 for armour is subtracted before the die is doubled for Cruel.

Vulnerable is very good for picking them off, though.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Jedit posted:

Cruel does absolutely nothing against Gnolls, though? The -1 for armour is subtracted before the die is doubled for Cruel.

I think this is wrong, you can kill a 1hp gnoll with 1dmg cruel.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tann posted:

I think this is wrong, you can kill a 1hp gnoll with 1dmg cruel.

I'm sure I've tried and failed. It was one of the things that made me think Gnolls were militantly unfair in the first place. It's probably easier for you to check and fix if required than for me to try and recreate, though.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Jedit posted:

I'm sure I've tried and failed. It was one of the things that made me think Gnolls were militantly unfair in the first place. It's probably easier for you to check and fix if required than for me to try and recreate, though.

`{v:202i,d:{p:{h:[Gladiator,Scrapper,Lost,Sinew,Glacia],e:[Copper Ring,Citrine Ring,Scalpel,Charon's Obol,Dragonhide Gloves,Glyph of Purity,Stasis]},l:{m:[Gnoll,Gnoll,Gnoll,Gnoll,Gnoll,Gnoll]}},c:[1aZ4,307,1750,20a5,2160,22a1,2374,2493,2585,4],s:50143520004,p:[1987]}`

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
It's the dumbest thing, but I could not figure out how to fulfill the "press undo three times in a row" tutorial tip. I pressed it three times in a row, and then three actions and three undos, and every other combo I could think of. I finally just turned off tutorials since I don't need them anyways.

Killed the dragon on Normal first try. It was iffy, but got the perfect combo off on what would have been the final round regardless. A perfect way to end the game!

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Canuckistan posted:

It's the dumbest thing, but I could not figure out how to fulfill the "press undo three times in a row" tutorial tip. I pressed it three times in a row, and then three actions and three undos, and every other combo I could think of. I finally just turned off tutorials since I don't need them anyways.

Yeah I think I need to re-word it or something. It's intended to show there's no undo limit so you can, for example, undo your entire complex turn and try another approach. Use 3 dice, then undo all 3 should do it. But it's basically at the end of the tutorial anyway.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Tann posted:

Yeah I think I need to re-word it or something. It's intended to show there's no undo limit so you can, for example, undo your entire complex turn and try another approach. Use 3 dice, then undo all 3 should do it. But it's basically at the end of the tutorial anyway.

Well, don't I feel stupid. That makes perfect sense, and it's my broke brain that didn't parse it properly.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I also found it confusing, took me a minute to work it out. Perhaps adding "there's no undo limit" or something to the tutorial text would help.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop
"undo all the way to the beginning"

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Just got my first hard win (on generated though). Generated is a lot of fun, I'd initially ignored it. Feels a bit easier to get really strong combos going than with the normal classes. The algorithm to make up the dice is pretty good, they feel like they have their own theme, not just megarandom sides.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I've absolutely used a Cruel 1 side to kill a Gnoll, maybe there was armor or something else happening simultaneously?

I got the "add patient to all sides" blessing and wow, it genuinely completely changes the game. For the better? I'm not sure, but passing up on a low-value side in the hopes you get a doubled high value side next turn makes every character play like the gambler.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

That's cool! I never actually played with that blessing, glad it makes it interesting.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Patient + Exhaust

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

CainFortea posted:

Not an empty quote. heavy is a trap.

Honestly I think heavy is fine, there are plenty of fights where a strong heavy attack will simply solve it for you. You just also really desperately need heavy to not be your only option.

I guess I'm thinking of Bash in particular for that. The 5 damage heavies are nice but when you really need something else both the 7 damage exert and stun are really solid sides. The 2 damage steel is a bit more situational but you can absolutely pop off with the right combo. Good hero.

waddler
Jan 3, 2008

Hi Tann, just wanted to say I was supposed to do stuff today but instead downloaded this and got sucked into some normal runs instead. Thank you and :argh:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I made it into the top 100 normal runs high score chart and got the <50 turns cheevo :toot:

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Finally had time to sink my teeth into the new update. Was bummed nothing carried over, but actually it's quite the blessing in disguise. Being able to rediscover all the things is a treat.

Game is slightly harder than it was before, or I'm just bad and need to gitgud again. Dropped down to Easy and had fun with the new blessings so it was a net gain. Super stoked you're still working on this game. Massive props.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Arzaac posted:

Honestly I think heavy is fine, there are plenty of fights where a strong heavy attack will simply solve it for you. You just also really desperately need heavy to not be your only option.

I guess I'm thinking of Bash in particular for that. The 5 damage heavies are nice but when you really need something else both the 7 damage exert and stun are really solid sides. The 2 damage steel is a bit more situational but you can absolutely pop off with the right combo. Good hero.

Given how important finishing off enemies is, limiting your target selection is very bad. That's why ranged things are almost always the best choice.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Slaan posted:

I made it into the top 100 normal runs high score chart and got the <50 turns cheevo :toot:

32 minutes but 52 turns for me. :argh:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I've been mashing runs on easy to try and get the under 35 turns achievement and it's really freaking hard. I doubt it even unlocks a particularly interesting mode, considering what the under 40 mode was, but drat it I want all those question marks off my screen.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

CainFortea posted:

Given how important finishing off enemies is, limiting your target selection is very bad. That's why ranged things are almost always the best choice.

:shrug: Heavy sides frequently lead to killing things I otherwise wouldn't be able to because of their high damage. I feel like I get a lot of use out of them.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I... just had Hexia run away :woop:

That's one way to end a 5x red custom run, heal/cleanse-tank the demon lord while smiting all his minions until you finally get through on him and he peaces out.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Xtanstic posted:

Finally had time to sink my teeth into the new update. Was bummed nothing carried over, but actually it's quite the blessing in disguise.

There's a button in Settings that will attempt to import all your achievements.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Archenteron posted:

I... just had Hexia run away :woop:

That's one way to end a 5x red custom run, heal/cleanse-tank the demon lord while smiting all his minions until you finally get through on him and he peaces out.

Meanwhile I had a 5x blues hard run where I stoked up enough mana to Blaze and otherwise damage Hexia to death turn 1 at the cost of only two heroes and then mopped up everyone else after. Still haven't lucked into any amazingly broken item combos but I'm sure I just have to keep playing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I was just doing a 4x blue custom run when I randomly got Egg Basket on a Wizard and Hourglass on a Sorcerer. That made for some amusing first turns and some ridiculous second turns.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Just had a run with Scales and Wandcraft on Druid.

Why yes, thank you, I would love two 10 mana sides on this die.

Arzaac fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Oct 9, 2022

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

It has only just occurred to me that thimble, a tier 6 item, basically makes one character immune to hexia's gimmick. Picking it every single time even if I've only got 1 pain side in the entire party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Tann posted:

Someone made a crazy puzzle in discord (for paste mode)

{v:202i,d:{n:10,p:{h:[Buckle~Square Wheel~Martyr,Statue~Wolf Ears~Cracked Phylactery~Mirror Mask,Defender~Square Wheel~Martyr,Statue~Wolf Ears~Spell: Betray~Mirror Mask,Roulette~Demon Claw~Spell: Hinder~Determination,Squire~Square Wheel~Martyr,Statue~Wolf Ears~Mirror Mask,Alloy~Square Wheel~Martyr,Statue~Wolf Ears~Cracked Phylactery~Mirror Mask]},m:[Deep Pockets,Essence Capture,Leyline,Hero heavy,Shrink,-3 Max Mana,Mana Debt+,Mana Debt+,Mana Debt+,Preparation,Preparation,Poison Immunity],l:{m:[Wisp,Imp,Imp,Imp,Imp,Imp,Imp,Imp,Imp]},sl:10},c:[1gZ4c,1bZ4c,1eZ4c,1ha1,19d2,20d1,21a4,22d0,23a1,2493,25e0,26f1,27d0,28e1,4,20f2,21a3,22f2,23c0,24h3,25Z5,26c1,27c4,28Z3,4],s:232035143244024141,p:["4[red]DO NOT WIN THIS TURN!!!!!!!!![n][n][n][grey]Submitted by Thunder",10]}

This was sick, love the idea of puzzles