Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

bulletsponge13 posted:

Mafia 3 is fabulous.

The sheer joy I had breaking up a Klan Rally with a well coordinated ambush is unrivaled in video games.

Oh nice! I’m not that far yet but looking forward to that. You could do that in RDR2 and I appreciated how doing so unprovoked wasn’t considered bad on the morality scale, and was a valuable way to test your dynamite aiming abilities.

Mafia I was excellent and i remember had well directed cutscenes that helped to sell the story. It also had good sequence breaking accommodations where it allowed you to hit the target before he reached the getaway plane. And excellent attention to detail with the old cars where it did feel like you were driving an antique 1920s truck.

Good police system too where if you’re speeding and stop it’s just a time tax of being given a ticket but they don’t open fire.

Mafia II not so much although combat was pretty good. I did have a good laugh when I got bored during a mission and went on a destruction spree, then during the cutscene the authorities stepped over the wreckage of what used to be a neighborhood to arrest me for gasoline rationing coupon fraud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The 3 notes you hear when you wake up in Shipbreaker is the same as the Brand Power commercials I see from time to time in tv. Just a weird thing I noticed.

Just got level 6.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

bulletsponge13 posted:

Mafia 3 is fabulous.

The sheer joy I had breaking up a Klan Rally with a well coordinated ambush is unrivaled in video games.

There's a moment in RDR2 where I found a klan rally getting together and as I was setting up an ambush and they set themselves on fire trying to burn a cross. I shot the survivors.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Steezo posted:

There's a moment in RDR2 where I found a klan rally getting together and as I was setting up an ambush and they set themselves on fire trying to burn a cross. I shot the survivors.

you're gonna make me play rdr2 single player. I did it for all of 30 minutes before jumping to multi

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

pmchem posted:

you're gonna make me play rdr2 single player. I did it for all of 30 minutes before jumping to multi

I have tried extremely hard to get into this game but the control scheme kills my interest every goddamn time

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m trying to push my way into RDR2 after like four aborted attempts and I made it further this time, to the point where I turned in my first bounty

I think I’m just going to give up. The game feels like dogshit to play and the systems all seem like horrendous chores.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

RDR2 is the only game with deep side quests and crafting stuff that made me go “ooh, yes, random stranger! I’d love to go fishing/hunting/help you out with whatever weird thing you’re doing!” I couldn’t get much into GTAV because that seemed like an unfun slog to me but RDR2… man, if ever you get bored, just go ride your horse around and admire the scenery and wait for something cool to happen.

Like wandering into a Klan meeting and setting it on fire, then lassoing the sole survivor and dropping him off a waterfall.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That’s why I keep going back. The writing seems genuinely engaging but man

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

I’m trying to push my way into RDR2 after like four aborted attempts and I made it further this time, to the point where I turned in my first bounty

I think I’m just going to give up. The game feels like dogshit to play and the systems all seem like horrendous chores.

Having played through to the ending, it is not worth it. The story isn’t satisfying and for the colossal budget/game world missions are endless combos of “ride somewhere, shoot endless hordes, ride back.” There was a refreshing mission where you get to pilot a hot air balloon and I was hoping the missions were taking a positive turn but nope we have more shooting for you to do.

It felt like Rockstar forgot how make their big sandbox enjoyable, like how for Ballad of Gay Tony they had enough sense to close out on a thrilling/goofy adventure of hitting golf balls at helicopters and BASE jumping.

To have fun in RDR2 just ignore the story/morality system as much as you can and free roam the map acting like a loon, with the most ridiculous beard and hat you can find. And use online guides as much as possible there are some huge gold stashes that let you go on shopping sprees and some of the hunting quests are terribly laid out. Stuff like “to craft a raccoon hat, simply gather these three items close to where you got the quest, plus this snake that only appears in the top right corner of the map for one hour a week.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s disappointing because I recall RDR 1 being fairly tight-feeling and not so excessively languid, though the shooty parts were about as simplistic (all of their games are like this but at least in GTA you get fast cars).

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I've enjoyed Call of Juarez: Gunslinger a lot more than RDR2. I mean yeah, it's just COD with a wild west twist, but it's also a lot more charming and a hell of a lot less portentous.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Another issue with RDR2 is going the prequel route as it meant like half the cast had plot immunity which isn’t what you want when your gang is being menaced.

Tiny Timbs posted:

It’s disappointing because I recall RDR 1 being fairly tight-feeling and not so excessively languid, though the shooty parts were about as simplistic (all of their games are like this but at least in GTA you get fast cars).

True, RDR1 wasn’t a masterpiece of mission design but the shooting mechanics did have a brilliant moment when you go into bullet time against the army and slowly realize you can’t possibly hit them all, and no one is coming to help.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

It took a while for this game to click with me, but I've really been enjoying The Ascent lately. Just pure twin stick shooter indulgence at times, and it's hard to overstate just how good looking it is. Has anyone played the Cyber Heist DLC yet?

Here's a gif of my still probably laughably bad character moments before he was blown to bits.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm up to rank 10 on Shipbreaker, but it's crashing to the xbox dashboard after every other shift or so. My progress is being saved, so I'm not losing anything.

I am enjoying it, but it hasn't broken the farm sim 22 habit. Planted 3 big rear end fields of canola last night. No Man's Land is a ridiculous map.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I guess I get people finding RDR2 slow or boring but for me it's like, hands-down one of the best games ever made. But I legit love just riding around on the horse chilling/exploring, perhaps shooting a deer or a hillbilly :shrug:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
RDR is one of the best games I have ever played. The start is slow and controls suck as a console port, but past that it is a breathtaking masterpiece.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Maybe I should cross post this in the idiots thread, but I'm enjoying PUBG again.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Godholio posted:

Maybe I should cross post this in the idiots thread, but I'm enjoying PUBG again.

What platform? Last time I played was on PC and it was full of hackers. I started messing with Fortnite zero build, and that's been fun, but it's mostly made me want to jump into PUBG dual queue.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Shipbreaker is crashing to dashboard after every shift now. Still saving progress, but it's getting annoying. It almost adds to the hassle of wage slavery of the game.

I hit rank 15 earlier today. Killed myself maybe a half dozen times so far.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

bengy81 posted:

What platform? Last time I played was on PC and it was full of hackers. I started messing with Fortnite zero build, and that's been fun, but it's mostly made me want to jump into PUBG dual queue.

PC. I don't think enough people play anymore for hackers to be an issue. I haven't seen it, but I also haven't been playing for hours on end.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

What is it about the game that brought you back five years later? I had some fun playing with you and others back in 2017 but I don’t think I’ve touched it since like 2018.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Getting tired of C&C: Generals

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Prodeus verdict: A+

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Prodeus verdict: A+

Two recommendations. First, prioritize unlocking the Quad Shotgun with the Ores you find. Second, once you're done with the (excellent) campaign, play through the user-created maps. Any of the contest winners, hot picks, and highly-rated maps are excellent standalone maps rivaling some of the campaign maps.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

is it on switch yet

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

facialimpediment posted:

Two recommendations. First, prioritize unlocking the Quad Shotgun with the Ores you find. Second, once you're done with the (excellent) campaign, play through the user-created maps. Any of the contest winners, hot picks, and highly-rated maps are excellent standalone maps rivaling some of the campaign maps.

:lol: I'll definitely do that, thanks for the tip.

It's highly entertaining, like someone traveled back in time to 1994 and read my mind and made my dream game.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

yeah it comes on switch today and im grabbing that

how was ion fury btw?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Have access to tons of older PS4 games I’d never tried with a PS now subscription so gave Detroit: Become Human a try. So far fun although my fondness for QuickTime events is not shared by all. The branching narrative is neat as my decisions that sent someone plummeting from a skyscraper could probably have been optimized.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

yeah it comes on switch today and im grabbing that

Just a heads up:

https://twitter.com/ProdeusGame/status/1578510689664368640?t=iOxrqJUk5bwCKGent-WHyQ&s=19

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

hahahahahahaha. its running on mine

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Pretty sure I have that same blanket and if it is I approve of the choice in comfy, warm blankets.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

bird food bathtub posted:

Pretty sure I have that same blanket and if it is I approve of the choice in comfy, warm blankets.

visiting my gf's mom in detroit, ill make sure to pass the approval lol

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

how was ion fury btw?

loving great, really digging it.

Helldump Immunity
Sep 11, 2001

pretty much rollin with the dad farm these days

Godholio posted:

Getting tired of C&C: Generals

loving bullshit, man.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

There goes the loving neighborhood.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

fuckkkkk

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

YOU GOT A BOAT!

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Anyone playing Overwatch 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I didn’t pass the credit check