Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

quote:

#8: Leprechaun 2

Back to a time, when the leprechauns ruled over Ireland. I thought the first movie was just fine. This one had a lot more to it, more variety in terms of sets and scope. But wow, the acting, particularly from the lead actress, is *not good*. I liked the scam-artist father figure. Even though it wasn’t that long of movie, I still felt like it dragged for a bit in the middle.

:spooky: :spooky: :spooky:

#9: Garfield’s Halloween Adventure, Simpsons Treehouse of Horror XII & XIII (SPOOKY BINGO: Halloween is Special)

Garfield: Very cute, and I’m fairly sure I remember this from my childhood. If the comics were like this, Garfield would be a lot better. I appreciated The Fog reference.

Treehouse of Horror XII: This is for me the one that starts feeling like it’s not quite as good, although I like the smarthouse one especially, and I kinda think based on which ones I’ve been liking that simpsons does sci-fi stuff better than fantasy.

Treehouse of Horror XIII: The last of the ones that *I* consider true Treehouse of Horror episodes, I’m sure someone else’s is a much earlier episode, but this is the last one that I really watch for good memory associations, it’s all about the age you’re at when you see it. After this one though when I read an episode description I hesitate as to whether I want to watch it.

:spooky::spooky::spooky: .5:spooky:

#10: The Raven (1963)

This would have been 3 or 3.5 if not for the cast elevating a cozy rainy day film into something I found utterly charming. These kinds of movies really get me into the mood of the season, even if it’s a silly mood. That final duel honestly had me laughing throughout. This is a new favorite.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:

#11: Vampyr (1932) (SPOOKY BINGO: Golden Years)

First of all, this looked great, just visually a treat. For me it didn’t really pick up until the final third, but it was great to look at up until then, *especially* that forest shot at the end. The entire thing involving the shadows was a lovely touch, too

:spooky::spooky::spooky:+ .5:spooky:

#12: The Mummy (1932) (SPOOKY BINGO: Goodnight Mommy)

The quality of the film was very high, everything crisp. The actual movie itself is just so-so, and as others noted Karloff is the best thing about it. Frank is unpleasant and boring in his best moments. I still, despite all of that, can see why it sits in the same collections as movies like Frankenstein, but it’s just not as much a thing for me. Frankenstein has set way too high a bar thus far, in my experience with watching other Universal monster movies. The people, and sets, captured in time, that part I still really like.

:spooky: :spooky: .5 :spooky:

#13: The Wolf Man (SPOOKY BINGO: Full Moon)

Beautiful surfaces of fog drifting between gnarled trees. Lon Chaney. This one really grabbed me. Only a half hour in I found it much more emotionally engaging than The Mummy. That reaction Larry has when he checks his arms and chest and sees no extra hair and *almost* sighs in relief before noticing something about his legs…so good. This was much more fully realized, from the estate, to the village and villagers and their backgrounds.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:

#14: The Invisible Man

This was really good. It had been on my lists the last two years and i never got to it until now. Very unsettling, and although the final twists which played out were not as good as everything that came before it, i still really liked where it ended up at the end.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky: .5:spooky:

#15: Piranha 3D (SPOOKY BINGO: Wild Beasts)

Adam Scott plays a malnourished Nathan Drake. Piranhas attack and bite and they start with the swimsuit layer, and they work from there. There’s some cool kills and a general dumbness that’s enjoyable. Over all I didn't want to give it a lot of praise nor pan it, it was just sort of good enough that it’s worth it.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Yes. The final wizard duel in The Raven is absolutely wonderful.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

#42.) Killjoy Goes to Hell (2012; Tubi)

Demon clown Killjoy is being put on trial in Hell; the final girl from the previous film in the series got away, so he's accused of being insufficiently evil.

I have to say, this was better than I was expecting. It has more creativity than I would expect from a modern(ish) Full Moon picture. The bureaucracy of Hell (guess what D.A. stands for down there), the minutes-long elevator ride to arrive at the courtroom, making sure to plead 'not innocent'... Simple stuff once you've arrived at the idea of putting a demon on trial, but arriving at that idea? I'm sure it didn't come from Charles Band.

There's also references made to the first two films in the series, and the trio of supporting demon clowns from the previous film get to show up (though Batty Boop is wearing more than body paint this time around, and her Harley Quinn pastiche is more played up than I remembered). The idea of Killjoy's punishment being to lose some of the numerous demonic names by which he's known for each proven failing was a nice touch, too, particularly with the meditation on the nature of oblivion to which it leads. Yeah, that happens in a Killjoy movie. Compared to the world of film outside of the Full Moon catalog, it's not great, but it's a shining beacon compared to the majority of their last decade's output.

“Ahh, virgin! You disgust me!”

:spooky: Rating: 5/10

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Kelly Brook was really good in Piranha 3D, and I think anybody with an English accent is good probably.

Loved that Garfield special as a lad too.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Franchescanado posted:

:spooky: SPOOKY BINGO 2022 Edition :spooky:
H20

-watch a film that features a lot of water (the ocean counts)
-watch a film about underwater creatures/monsters
-watch a film that is celebrating it's 20th anniversary this year (no rewatches)

36) The Deep House - 2021 - Paramount+

A pair of urbex divers discover more than they thought when they explore a house submerged in a lake.

Well, I did really like the premise, and I did like how the film looked. The underwater cinematography was very nice. However, with such a unique premise, nothing really was done with it. This film could really be summed up as 'haunted house, but underwater'. While that's not exactly an awful thing, it's just there could've been so much more done with this than what they did.

Overall, the film wasn't so much as bad, but just 'meh'.

Franchescanado posted:

Punk Vacation

-watch a film that heavily features punks.
-watch a "punk" horror film. You will need to discuss in your review why you think the film could be described as "punk".

37) Green Room - 2015 - Prime

After so many friends praised this one, I finally decided to give it a try. Yeah, this film didn't work with me.

It's not a bad film. The storyline of a band ends up in the wrong place at the wrong time is a solid one. The cast is fine. It really was something to see with Patrick Stewart portraying someone so evil. It's just for me, this just wasn't my sort of thing.

Franchescanado posted:

Femme Fatale

-Watch a horror film directed by a woman.
-Watch a feminist horror film. You need to including in your review how the film qualifies as a feminist film.

38) Satanic Panic - 2019 - Shudder

In this one, a pizza delivery goes terribly wrong.

For me, the title alone brings up memories of the satanic panic of the 80s and how much grief a horror loving metalhead who played Dungeons and Dragons went through. So naturally, I had some expectations going in on watching this.

Pretty much this is the standard rich people devil cult thing. They're pretty inept as expected, and the ending goes the same as expected. Overall, this was okay. Not the greatest, but definitely not the worst.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Goddamnit I let the thread get away from me. Not the horror movies, though!

#4: Who Invited Them (2022)

No screenshot, Shudder makes it too hard. Anyway, a couple of unbearable strivers - well, mostly just the guy, the wife's alright - deal with a pair of strangers who just won't go away after a dinner party.
It was solid; kind of a tired premise, but a good execution of it. The strange couple were a lot of fun, and I loved that they had an actual motivation beyond "causing the movie to happen". They are explicitly pushing the main couple to see how they cope under pressure; ultimately they judge them "worthy" and leave them alone. Honestly, you could end this movie with the main couple never realising they're serial killers, and it would still work. That's what it comes down to, Adam and Margo being... not great, but sufficiently-functional. That's why I'm counting this for Zombie Honeymoon. You could alternatively watch it for Yuppie Nightmare, but I've got something better for that:

#5 Vampire's Kiss (1989)

A man becomes convinced he is a vampire, and no-one notices except his secretary.
Somehow, I started this movie without knowing it was the like prototypical Insane Nic Cage performance. Peter is an unbelievable prick, and he doesn't so much descend into vampirism as use it as a framework to understand his own actions. There's a lot of this movie in American Psycho, particularly the main character's astonishment as he realises he doesn't even have to hide. I should mention that the movie is also a comedy, and a great one, seesawing between Peter's viewpoint and the real world. Worth a watch, especially if you want to break a string of downers.

Spooky Bingo: Yuppie Nightmare. Doesn't really work for other categories.

edit: oh poo poo I forgot! Connective tissue from #3 Come True to #4: both involve people who really, really just want a good night's rest.
Connective tissue from #4 to #5: both feature killers who get away with a lot by being well-dressed.

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 9, 2022

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

11. Prince of Darkness (Masters of Horror)

Finally got around to watching this one! Traditional Carpenter goodness. I think a lot of contemporary horror films take inspiration from Prince of Darkness, splitting time between supernatural phenomena and long dialogues explaining the thematic resonance of those phenomena. I liked seeing Victor Wong and Dennis Dun again. I got really scared when Dennis Dun got mad about having to go to the church, I thought he might not be in the rest of the movie.

Hot Dog Day #89
Mar 17, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Morbid Hound

Tales from the Crypt, 1972

I remember reading a whole bunch of reprints of those old Tales from the Crypt and Vault of Horror comics as a kid, so finally watching this movie was a treat. The comic would be perfect for an anthology movie, just interesting it would be an British production instead of an American one, but not gonna complain since Peter Cushing is in it. I very much remember the reading the comic that story he is in is from. The other's I'm a bit more unsure if I read the comics they are based on. Either way, it was a nice movie. Very early 70s in look and feel. No point in me going over each story or the over all theme and plot linking the stories together. Just a nice movie to put on for that old horror nostalgia feel.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

14. The Incredible Shrinking Man
He keeps shrinking... and Leon's getting largerrrrr...

An early horror/sci-fi film that was considered an 'adult picture' on its release, The Incredible Shrinking Man is pure 50s B-Movie cheese, and it's excellent. The practical effects (specifically the oversized sets) are impressive still today, and it's easy to see why the movie has become a touchstone for so much that came after it. Of course, the stakes feel appropriately low; the movie spends approximately two minutes building characterization before getting straight to the shrinking action, so it's not like you're emotionally bonded to anyone. But the adventure is fun, if not appropriately campy, and it's a breezy watch.

Rating if I was ten years old and this was 1957: 9/10 Shrinking Men
Rating as a jaded adult: 7.8/10 Oversized Spools of Thread

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

3.) Raven’s Hollow (2022) | Shudder

This movie is about Edgar Allen Poe hanging out in a town with a murderous raven monster… thing. Apparently, the dumbshit nonsense that transpires inspires him to write “The Raven” (a quiet poem about regret and age.) It’s one of the dumbest ideas I’ve seen make it to screen.

1/5

4.) Glorious (2022) | Shudder

Ryan Kwanten spends most of the runtime talking to a god (JK Simmons) in a bathroom stall. It’s a great (and highly original) low-budget premise executed well enough. If you’re a fan of pitch-black comedy, this is worth watching.

3.5/5

5.) Bodies Bodies Bodies (2022)

Lots of energy and a decent portrayal of the way social media changes how we talk to each other. It’s a relatable tale of friends growing apart, but also dying. Pete Davidson’s very adept at playing a douche, and I’m not saying that as a backhanded burn like most people would. Every character’s reasonably fleshed out and their disagreements all feel believable. They definitely go pretty broad with the twitter speak, but it’s not laid on too thick. Predictable plot, though.

3.5/5

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I've decided to pace myself on the Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi File movies. I want to close the month with the final one, so I'm spacing them out with other movies.

#15 Death Line/Raw Meat

To Serve Man

I have a weakness for very British horror movies. You know what I mean, well-spoken professional men in suits having conversations about vampires or some other kind of monster in a room with bookshelves. Death Line (released in America as Raw Meat) fits that bill.

It's class conscious as well, with the uncaring upper class investigators, the cannibals being poor people who were literally buried and forgotten. And in the end while one may feel for the poor people it would be in everyone's best interest including their own if they are discreetly destroyed as quickly as possible.

I do think it plays the cannibal card way too early. Give us some more time with the investigation, putting the pieces together. But instead it spells it out and shows the cannibal pretty early on. Which makes the investigation rather dull as we know more than the characters and are just waiting for them to figure it out..

Death Line. Not bad.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 10, 2022

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

October 8α - After Midnight

Again, I picked off of the SPOOKY square instead of just watching and going with whatever came up; I'm going to save the "watch and pick later" movies for my mainline challenge, not these bonus SPOOKY movies that I'm adding to the card.

After being together for ten years, Hank's girlfriend Abby has left. She just went away and left a note. Now Hank is left alone in their big house, pondering where their relationship went wrong, and dealing with a monster that comes each night trying to get in.

I found this by searching for "romantic horror" and seeing what came up. It's easy to find a horror movie where there's a doomed relationship; I wanted to find one where it was the driving force in the narrative and that's definitely the case here. The metaphor is obvious and it runs with it right to the very last scene.

Thing is, Hank's an rear end in a top hat but he's more the kind of rear end in a top hat who has sunk into an inconsiderate rut, enjoying his life in backwoods Florida while his girlfriend grows more and more unhappy. So this is a movie about a relationship that rots away rather than explodes spectacularly or one where Hank is unredeemable. It's a relationship that feels natural, rather than structured for the film.

I do have a problem where I feel like the monster metaphor doesn't quite line up in a reasonable way, especially in the ending. There's a point toward the end of the movie in particular which would be a heavy spoiler that I think completely undermines it.

Still, this was an interesting movie. I don't think it's as strong as a lot of other "monster as explicit metaphor" movies that we got in the teens, but it's solid.

Obviously this one is filling in Zombie Honeymoon.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

13: Skull, The Mask
:spooky: Osteology

Now that's what I call goop. This is made by people who are primarily FX guys and that really shows, because the effects are terrific but the writing is barely there. It's a breezy 90 mins though and looks gorgeous (there are some great landscape shots and one particular fight sequence that's just beautiful). It's also quite blood soaked.

14: Werewolf by Night
:spooky: Halloween is Special

This is one of those things that is just a perfect junction of all the things I like. I'm a big Marvel nerd and of course a horror fan (I mean look at my gang tags, they are literally this movie), and this certainly scratches both itches. The only complaint I have is that I wish they'd leaned into the old style more with the effects and props, but I can understand why they didn't.
Actually my other complaint is that apparently nobody told them about the challenge so it's only 54 mins. On that note

Treehouse of Horror V

Put this on to pad the time a bit. It's definitely my favorite ToH, and if You Only Move Twice didn't exist it would probably be my favorite episode period.
Just a near perfect half hour of TV

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 9, 2022

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

13 (32 - Bangladesh). Banglar King Kong :spooky: They Always Come Back :spooky: - Relatively faithful remake. Also a complete trainwreck. Made in 2010, it unintentionally or not has a centuries worth of cinematic issues - there's film tears, which I assume are intentional, it looks like someone turned the technicolor up to 11, and there's some horrid greenscreening. King Kong is also a guy in a really bad gorilla suit. And they steal footage from the 70s remake. About the only plus is that our Fay Wray replacement can sing. No subtitles, so no rating, but it was bad.

14 (33- Sri Lanka). Gharasarapa :spooky: Zombie Honeymoon :spooky: - No subs for this either, but it was quite good even without them. Described on Letterboxd as a romantic horror film, the cinematography here is consistently beautiful, and the visuals carry enough meaning that you can get by without the words. Boy meets girl, girl gets possessed by demon, girl's family moves to Canada. The director does such a great job that the "my dad says we're moving to Canada" conversation is obvious without speaking Sinhala. Pretty big problem without subs though as the resolution of the movie is a 20 minute conversation that I can't understand. Great songs too, and a good villain.

15 (34 - Ghana). African Kung-Fu Nazis - Hitler and Tojo escape to Ghana following World War II where they begin to brainwash people into their new Ghan-arian army. And also put on a bloodsport tournament. Actually, it's mostly the bloodsport tournament. They only hypnotize like 5 people. Anyway, the local Kung Fu club travels the land, learns all the martial arts techniques, defeats Hitler, and saves the 5 people that he brainwashed into standing around. That said, the tournament narrative is handled pretty well, aside from all the terrible CGI. 3.5/5

Sono fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 9, 2022

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

#43.) Event Horizon (1997; Blu-ray) * rewatch

Starship Titanic, but horror. A spaceship with an experimental tesseract drive fucks up on its maiden voyage, goes missing, then pops back up after a few years. Time to grab the first/nearest space crew available, no matter how poorly disciplined they are, and send them with the ship's designer to play Scooby-Doo!

I respect that it's a space horror that makes use of spaceships beyond their internals, even if there's not that much travel done with them, and that it's space horror without physical aliens, even if the plot is basically Sphere with gore. The set designs are neat, though they take the thinnest string of justification to include, for example, a funhouse rotation tunnel. The CGI holds up well enough, except when they decide to spin an object right into the camera, and the spikes everywhere are...there.

Why can't I get down with this, when I've enjoyed more self-indulgent horror movies with worse concepts? Is it entirely disdain for PWSA? Maybe. But maybe it's from stuff that one more pass over the script could have worked out. Make a certain character's lines less than 80% jokes, don't have another character insisting that he saw a man on fire rise from a vat of oil in one scene, and then refusing to even consider the possibility of technobabble readings being connected to the hallucinations less than thirty seconds later. Don't have that character state that the ship knows his fears and secrets, and then announce his intention to blow up the ship while he's still on it. Definitely don't have characters able to overcome a hard vacuum through willpower.

It's not an issue of 'these characters should behave perfectly logically at all times,' it's an issue of 'these characters have gone through years of training to become astronauts, and now they're encountering weird poo poo in space, and are ignoring all the camaraderie the script has gone to such pains to establish so the script can push them into conflict.' Yeah, there's a mysterious unknowable force pitting them against each other, so that's all fine, whatever. PWSA doesn't care enough about this movie to have watched the tape of the lost footage in the decade since a producer found a copy, I shouldn't care enough to pick at it this much.

The airlock scene is cool, Laurence Fishburne is cool, it's a better Hellraiser in space than the actual Hellraiser in space, and a Latin translation being key while they're on a spaceship in 2047 is a cute bit of contrast. Future cigarettes that don't use up the finite amount of oxygen on a spaceship? Super cool. Most of my complaints are born out of frustration that the film doesn't consistently rise to its potential. If it did, I'd be fully behind it, because it has so much potential. Strip at least half of the hero versus villain cliches out of the finale, even, and I'd be good with it. But whatever. At least it's passed on its inspirations to a lot of other good movies.

“This is not something that's in our heads.”

:spooky: Rating: 6/10

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Movie #8

They Always Come Back
-watch a remake, reboot or a prequel to a film

Hellraiser, 2022

Definitely the goopiest intervention film I've seen. I'm sad that this didn't get a theatrical release, I would have loved to have seen it on a big screen!

A new adaptation inspired by Clive Barker's The Hellbound Heart, this version follows Reilly, a struggling addict who finds a mysterious puzzle box that connects our world to that of the masochistic Cenobites.

Neither a sequel nor a direct remake, but a film that's easy to imagine occupying the same world as the original story. Similar themes of pleasure and pain and a couple similar designs but this is a completely different story.

This movie feels like a throwback to 80s horror in a lot of ways except I actually like the characters here and want things to work out for them, even as Reilly keeps pushing everyone into dark places. This one is very clearly about addiction ruining not just the addict but the people around her. It's grim and very personal. And I like that it's not just a "drugs bad" message. Addiction to substances, to sex, to puzzles, anything Reilly can do to escape.

I've seen some reviews that are very down on Reilly as a character and yeah, she does make some terrible choices, but I related to a lot of the despair she found herself in and I like that she could eventually reclaim herself.

Jamie Clayton is fantastic as the Hell Priest, she's terrifying and plays the character just teetering on the edge of joy with every line. She looks absolutely delighted when Reilly outwits her! The Cenobites overall feel way more alien here. Less leather bondage monsters and more angel/demon, with the gruesome design of wearing "clothes" made from their own bodies. 

I also like that the previous owner of the box built an entire mansion around occult puzzles. Big Resident Evil villain energy.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

The dame had legs that bent at strange, non-Euclidean angles outside of mortal ken.

Cast a Deadly Spell (Martin Campbell ; 1991)
A Really Convoluted Paperbacks from Hell?

In an alternate reality Los Angeles, it's 1948. Magic and sorcery are normal parts of daily life, just like phones and radio. Zombies are shipped in from the Caribbean for menial labor. People light their 60th cigarette of the day by summoning fire on their fingertips. Our boys fought in the Pacific and brought back gremlins with them. The criminal underworld is infested with demons and killing runes. But one hard-boiled gumshoe is still out there, hard drinking, chain smoking and trying to keep his morals intact : Howard Phillips Lovecraft.

Look do you want to see a dude in a fedora kick a gargoyle in the nards or don't you.

This movie loving whips rear end. It's cheesy as hell, but I wouldn't have it any other way. This is the kind of movie that needs to insulate itself with a certain amount of camp just by virtue of the genres it's swimming in. A surprisingly stacked cast too : David Warner as the rich fussy client who needs his Necronomicon recovered, Julianne Moore (who is a GREAT femme fatale) and Clancy mothafukken BROWN as a late 40's LA gangster he even has a little pencil mustache o my loving GOD.

Basically, do you like those two genres and would you like to see them together? Because they're here and they say hi, come on in, the water's fine. gently caress and there's a sequel.

The one heads up is there's what I think is supposed to be a trans character which is handled with... okay, it's not bad for "90's representation of 40's views to sexuality and gender identity" which basically just means there's only one slur so still pretty bad.

8/10
14 down, 17 to go

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

Watching a bunch of specials and miscellaneous poo poo that ain't moving the needle on any Spooky Bingo I haven't already crossed off, but is still a good time!

Werewolf by Night (2022, 55 minutes)

A playful, affectionate tribute to old Universal monster movies as told through the MCU lens. Werewolf by Night's black-and-white photography doesn't measure up to that era by a long shot but it still has a lot of fun trying on some stylish feats of presentation and polished takes on throwback VFX - any fan of old movie magic will enjoy the homage to old school drawn-on-the-frame lightning effects, and the way a monster's supernatural annihilation of its prey looks like the best 1950s atomic disintegration effect ever.

The story is a tad sparse. This could easily have been a feature with more development for the monster hunters and more for Laura Donnelly to do besides play "exasperated with all this bullshit." Her role is pretty bog standard Marvel tough gal, right down to her very first move being the leaping-twisty-leg takedown from the Black Widow playbook. Gael Garcia Bernal is given a way meatier part as a reluctant empathetic monster hunter and he kills it. Fun watching him treat Donnelly's bristling jerk like a horse whose nerves need to be soothed. The script was careful to call out "longevity" as one of the magical Bloodstone's gifts, so here's to seeing these people show up for supporting roles in the upcoming Blade or whatever sword-thing they were trying to set up Kit Harington for at the end of Eternals.

:rip: :rip: :rip: .5 / 5

A Sinister Halloween Scary Opposites Solar Special (2022, ~22 minutes)

A holiday nugget of Solar Opposites gold. The show in general is Justin Roiland's aggro dumbfuck salvo of recycled pop culture detritus, meta-sitcom jokes and improv-loose riffing, and this special is exactly all of that. I have a fondness for stupid Crypt Keeper puns so this one had me from "hell-o," and then I lost it at the cheap Tim Burton crack.

:skeltal: :skeltal: :skeltal: :skeltal: / 5

17. All My Friends Hate Me (2021)

Social anxiety cranked up to such a paranoid, suffering extreme that it becomes horror: trapped in an emotional torture chamber where you can't distinguish what's real and what's in your head. But with some funny needle drops.

Tom Stourton and Dustin Demri-Burns both do superb acting here. Stourton sells the journey from confusion into anxiety into a breakdown that's just barely being held together by a thin flap of social nicety, while Demri-Burns does a great job with a motte-and-bailey demeanor as he rains an unending stream of jabs and putdowns. The insults are serious but every time Stourton reacts, Demri-Burns feigns a shield of confusion: what, it's just a joke, isn't it mate? Absolutely maddening. A reunion party with college friends is a perfectly chosen atmosphere for making people endure that kind of awkwardness long beyond rational boundaries for the sake of politeness, but even my awkward rear end would be throwing down or bailing.

Which becomes a problem for me with the movie. The whole picture is like an "Am I the rear end in a top hat?" post on Reddit writ large, with only enough emotional intelligence to identify the grievance and not to resolve it. The title and much of the content of All My Friends Hate Me suggest it's a portrayal of social drift, with Stourton agonizing over whether the new friction in old relationships is his fault. Are they being dicks? Can he just not take a joke? Stourton drops references to his work with refugees so conspicuously in conversation that it's hard not to come to the conclusion that he's changed from the fun party guy he used to be. But some of the conduct of his friends is so heinous that misunderstanding seems almost impossible over malice. These people loving suck yet the climax gives them a pass in order to drill in further on Stourton's failings, as if he hasn't been flayed enough by inches already.

Or to put it more simply, anyone who thinks a roast is an appropriate way to celebrate a reunion with university friends you haven't seen in years deserves some loving buckshot, and that seems to include the writers.

:imunfunny: :imunfunny: :imunfunny: / 3

Vanilla Bison fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 10, 2022

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

Halloween Is Special
rewatch safe

-Watch a Halloween favorite or "guilty pleasure"

6.) The Return of the Living Dead
Dan O’Bannon | 1985 | Blu-ray
Rewatch

I’ve been watching this everything Halloween season since 2018. It’s just such a fun movie. Everything works so well and comes together so nicely: the performances, the gore, the music, everything! I don’t really have much else to say about it but it’s one of my favorites and it helped me to get more into horror.
Rating: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky:

Franchescanado posted:

Goodnight, Mommy

-watch a movie with a scary/killer mom
-watch a movie with mommy issues
-watch a movie that features themes of motherhood.
-watch a movie with a mummy

7.) Barbarian
Zach Cruegger | 2022 | AMC Theatre
This one was pretty fun and like others in the thread have pointed out: the less you know going in, the better but don’t set your expectations too high. Also, it was really nice seeing it in the theater and hearing the reactions from the audience especially after AJ tosses Tess off the roof in order to save himself.

As pertaining to the challenge: the design of “The Mother” was really creepy and seeing her just smash Keith’s head in was perfectly startling. Her whole situation was horrifying, but also very sad, especially her final interaction with Tess. I do think they tried to compare AJ with Frank (“The Father”) but I don’t know how effective it was.

I had said at the beginning of this review to go in blind, but don’t set your expectations too high because some reviews I’ve seen afterwards mention it not living up to the hype. That being said, I gave Malignant a perfect score last year because I got such a kick out of the absolutely bonkers twist that I had to give it 5/5. But that was due to the twist. I don’t know if I’d give it such a high score on a rewatch (or if I’d even rewatch it). Barbarian on the other hand, would be something I’d probably watch again because, while slightly less bonkers (only slightly) the whole package is pretty good.

Rating: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky:
Total: 7/13
New: 6
Rewatches: 1
My Letterboxd list (in progress)
Bingo card:

Greekonomics fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 11, 2022

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

#8: Mayhem (2017)

A virus that induces extreme behavior gets loose in the offices of a high-end legal consulting firm, where a just-laid-off lawyer and a victim of the firm's services team up to assault the corporate board.

A mild fantasy of violently cutting loose in an office environment. Not as sharp or angry as I was hoping for, and has the wrong main character, but I liked the cast.

#9: Glorious (2022)
Spooky Bingo: The Devil Made Me Do It

A man struggling with the end of a relationship encounters an emergent demi-god in a rest stop bathroom that tasks him with saving the universe.

I enjoyed this. It dug into the premise in a satisfying way, the two leads are good, and I liked the look of the special effects, presumably helped by not having to be used very much.

#10: Spooky Bingo: Halloween Is Special
Werewolf by Night (2022)
A group of monster hunters meet for a competitive hunt to determine which will take possession of a powerful artifact, unaware that another monster lurks in their midst.

Fun little special. Seems like the Bloodstone should have gone to whoever managed to catch Man-Thing in his non-depowered state, but I'm picking nits. The black and white looked really nice a number of times, and presumably helped sell the CGI.

It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1966) Rewatch
A group of neighborhood children and one dog engage in Halloween festivities such as trick-or-treating, partying, pagan worship, and fantasies of war.

Hadn't seen this since I was a kid. I remembered the main points, but had forgotten how much time was spent on dialog-free sequences. Really charming. Don't know if I would have bothered to watch this without the challenge and I'm glad I did.

#11: The Belko Experiment (2016)

Employees of a human-resources company in Columbia are subject to a murderous psychological test while locked into the building they work in.

A lot of similarities to Mayhem—a workplace devolves into violence along existing lines of tension—but the writing is sharper here and while the lead is weaker, the secondary cast is better filled out and more interesting. If you for some reason find yourself trying to decide between the two, I'd go with this one.

#12: Chopping Mall (1986)
Spooky Bingo: Glitches

Some mall employees throw an after-hours party on the night a robot security system goes online, which obviously goes haywire and starts killing people.

This was pretty fun. With some gratuitous nudity, more shocking deaths than I was expecting, and a trim 76 minute runtime, I was generally enjoying this, often sincerely.

In terms of the spooky bingo challenge, I was a bit surprised how little personality the robots / AI were given and how no particular justification was given for them going haywire. It's simply taken as a given that security robots will start exterminating people. Which I take more as a result of how obligatory it is for the movie than commentary on the inherent dangers of AI or whatever. Though that surprise may be my impressing more modern perspectives on AI on the movie, where we find ourselves concerned with AIs as intellectual competition (e.g., Ex Machina) more than a fear of brute force.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
9. Mindwarp (1992)

In the future in the world of the post apocalypse the matrix exists and it bores our protagonist so she has to leave it. Outside she discovers a world of mutant cannibals.

Mindwarp has to be one of the worst movies I've seen this year, not even Bruce Campbell can save this. The acting is rough, the plot is meh and the ending you see a mile away is total trash.

Not recommended.

Since this was technology based I'm counting this towards glitches

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Movie 7: Dog Soldiers (Full Moon)

Come and have a go, if you think you're hard enough!

Turns out I had possibly seen An American Werewolf in London some time ago. I have absolutely no recollection of this, but a friend swears we watched it in 2017 or something, so to be safe I went with Dog Soldiers, which I definitely haven't seen despite owning it on DVD since 2003 or something.

If I had to describe the movie in a nutshell, I'd say it was Aliens, except with British squaddies in the Scottish outback instead of colonial marines on a space outpost. The rest is pretty similar. Our soldiers have been sent out on a practise mission against some special forces guys, but possibly there was an ulterior motive, because turns out there's also hell of werewolves and they're eating everyone. Were our squaddies intended to be bait? Is the wounded special forces captain holding back information from his would-be saviours?

It was fun to see that the movie's cast is basically a who's who of British character actors before they made it big. That guy from Game of Thrones! That dude from Rome! They're all doing their best gruff military guy impressions and there's a lot of laddish banter and moderately toxic masculinity on display, and then werewolves.

What follows is an hour and a half of running from werewolves, fending off werewolf attacks in a lonely farmhouse, and getting eaten by werewolves. Once the film gets going, the action is relentless and fairly brutal. The werewolves themselves look kinda comical, but they're also shot in the dark and in plenty of smoke for the most part so it usually looks OK, and the gore effects are drat impressive. There's also a surprising amount of humour, like a werewolf plucking the shotgun out of a squaddie's hands after he gets too close to an open window, firing the shotgun at the defenders and then chucking the bent and broken gun back inside through the window. OK, you had to be there, but it was amusing!

It would not be accurate at all to describe the movie as a disappointment, because I certainly didn't have a bad time with it. It was a fine action horror movie with a ton of extremely British flavouring. But somehow I was expecting ... more? Maybe it's because I watched the movie so long after it was released and had built up unrealistic expectations for it? I was expecting not a twist or anything, but something. In my mind this was another Cabin in the Woods, some kind of trend-setting new take on werewolf movies, and instead it was "just" a well done werewolf movie. But that's probably a me problem more than the movie's fault.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:,5 / 5

My October 2022 Movies:
1. Nope, 2. Night at the Eagle Inn, 3. Day of the Mummy, 4. Freaky, 5. Choose or Die, 6. Shopping Tour, 7. Dog Soldiers

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

17. Hellraiser (2022)
Watched On: Hulu

Bingo: They Always Come Back
What a pleasant surprise and just a lovely horror movie time. I know this won't be the same for everyone but I watched this after taking a few good hits off a joint and it was so very intense for me. I found the body horror to also be enhanced in it's effectiveness, I'm normally able to disconnect and not let it get to me but not so here. The reality bending that happened when the Cenobites made their appearances was very cool and knee jerk I'm gonna say I liked it better than the efforts of the first two Hellraiser films, though nothing in this had a patch on Frank re-forming in the attic but not a lot of things can. It certainly had it's weakness and some things I would have liked more of but what a positive step in the right direction for the series and I hope they take all the right things away from it.

18. I Like Bats (1986)
Watched On: Shudder

Bingo: A Perfect Getaway (Poland)
Absolutely weird but at times whimsical vampire movie about a woman in a small Polish town that that could possibly be a vampire and slays potential suitors in town while also seeking a cure to her affliction from a psychiatrist. I'm still not sure how much I liked it and it had some moments where the plot sagged but I don't exactly regret seeing it either just to look at a take on the vampire myth from a country I haven't experienced it from.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
7. Maniac (2012)
:spooky:Spooky Bingo: They Always Come Back :spooky:

In this remake of the super-controversial 1980 slasher, Elijah Wood plays Frank, a man who seems to spend all his time prowling the streets and killing women. He scalps them and puts their hair on mannequins in the run-down shop where he lives. At one point he meets Anna (Nora Arzender), an artist who takes photographs of his shop and wants to do a piece with mannequins, and he grows closer to her while still going about his grisly business.

This film is shot almost entirely from Frank's POV; we sometimes catch reflections of him and when he's killing the camera goes to third person, as though he's stepping outside himself. This does create a sense of tension and discomfort as we watch him slowly pursue and brutally murder women, at first. But it slowly becomes not just unpleasant (which was likely the intention) but kind of repetitive and uninteresting. As much as it tries to get us into the head of the killer, what it has to offer for its contents is a hackneyed motive and melodramatic representation of psychosis: Frank's mother was a prostitute (or maybe just a woman who slept with skeezy guys and did drugs) so now he hates women and has confused sexual ideas, she died and so he has abandonment issues, and while this was also the motive in the original, it gets a lot more focus here and so we can see just how rickety the whole Freudian construct is. Elijah Wood gives a really good effort but it never feels like anything but a performance. And so we get murders that are increasingly brutal but never really scary, and some dime store psychoanalysis between them. The whole tone of this thing feels confused, like it's trying to be slicker than the original but also still really nasty and grimy, but whatever it's doing doesn't play well with the hoariness of the material at its core.

Nice music though.

8. Frankenweenie (2012)
:spooky:Spooky Bingo: Children of the Damned :spooky:

Tim Burton directs this material yet again for a feature length stop-motion adaptation of his early career short. Young Victor Frankenstein (Charlie Tahan) lives with his parents (Martin Short and Catherine O'Hara) in the suburb of New Holland, and his best friend is his dog Sparky. When Sparky is hit by a car, Victor takes inspiration from his new science teacher (Martin Landau) and constructs a laboratory in the attic, bringing his canine friend back to life. The reanimated Sparky has a few loose stitches but is still his energetic self, and he runs around town catching the attention of Victor's classmates, who are all competing in the science fair. Once they cotton on to what he's done, they decide they're going to try some experiments of their own.

I was surprised how much I enjoyed this one. There's a real energy and enthusiasm to it, and the animation is fun and inventive throughout, full of goofy little gags and engaging character designs (in particular there's a bug-eyed cat who is just comedy gold). Yes, it's Burton in very comfortable territory, misfits and monsters against the blandness of 50s-style suburbia, but it's full of neat inventive visuals and wild story ideas. It is very unfocused, with a few plot ideas never actually developed, but the ramshackle nature of it means it goes pretty drat goofball at the climax. I don't want to spoil anything but it's a really worthy iteration on the basic concept. Honestly I find myself enjoying even "lesser" Burton.

Shout out to the Scream Stream, I didn't watch anything last night due to RL stuff and this little double feature kept me caught up!

Demilich Vocals
Oct 7, 2022

by Hand Knit
I watch 31 "spooky" films every October.

My 5 Star rating system is:

1 star – Poor.
2 stars – OK.
2.5 stars – Good.
3 stars – Very Good.
4 Stars – Excellent.
5 stars – Classics.

1 - Hauntedween (1991) 2/5

Some kid named Eddie Burber accidentally kills a girl in a Halloween haunted house run by his family and has to leave town. Skip to 20 years later, he is living in the woods with his mother who suddenly dies and he decides its time to return home. A fraternity in the town need to raise money to pay for fees and they decide to use the “Old Burber House” to host a Halloween haunted house event, the same house where Eddie killed the girl 20 years earlier. A stranger appears at the fraternity and says they should use the house and gives them a key.
During the Halloween event Eddie turns up in a mask and starts executing the fraternity members running and acting in the event, and none of the townsfolk attending know its real.
A surviving fraternity member eventually kills Eddie.

Its rather low budget, the generic characters and setting don’t require any fleshing out, the general idea is a good one, and it goes rather fast for 127mins. Its still only a 2/5 being generous.

2 - Malignant (2021)

Yeah there’s a weird and convoluted storyline. The important parts are all the weird WTF moments, the straight acting, the genre and style mashing, the style choices generally, the creepy poo poo, and the insane action scenes and horror. It feels kind of like a collage of genres and styles from different films, that meld and even overlap each other even in the same scenes. It feels ridiculous and that is in no way a bad thing.
Argento films, Homicide: Life on the Street, Possession, Blade, Exorcist 2? I have no idea…

It makes no sense to watch a film like this and rate it low for being this ridiculous, that’s not how the Horror genre works. And the more confusing and ridiculous it got the more I liked it.
Its a hosed up ride. 3/5.
(The “Where is my mind” musical stabs were the dumbest part.)

3 -Hider in the House (1989)

This is a psychological thriller (that counts as scary I guess) staring Gary Busey, Mimi Rodgers and Michael McKean. Jake Busey appears in scenes where Garys character is a child.

It sounds like it should be hilarious, but it isn’t.

Gary escapes from a mental institution and starts living in the attic of an unoccupied house. Then a family moves in. He spies on them, kills their dog, and starts interacting with the wife. Gary ends up trying to kill the family members and is killed by the cops. Its a TV movie and its not great. 1.5/5.

4 - Halloween III : Season of the Witch (1982)

The best of the Halloween sequels, and one of the best horror films ever.

I have seen this before but not for a long time. It isn’t directed by John Carpenter like 1 and 2 (Carpenter and Debra Hill produced, Carpenter also co-wrote the music), and there’s no Michael Myers. How is this even a sequel?

A toy company, Silver Shamrock, makes a Halloween mask that every child wants. Each mask contains a microchip with a piece of Stonehenge in it. Upon watching a special commercial to be aired on TV anyone wearing the masks will die and insects will escape their body killing anyone nearby. The masks creator wants to sacrifice children like ancient Celtic pagans did, presumably to gain powers!

Just insane stuff! 4/5

Demilich Vocals fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Oct 9, 2022

Demilich Vocals
Oct 7, 2022

by Hand Knit
5 - Hellraiser (2022)

I don’t want to be involved in these annoying peoples lives for 2 hours. The main character is an idiot, and it takes so long for the Cenobites to turn up. There’s no reason for her and the guy to instantly go straight to “we must investigate who owns the warehouse” etc… as a solution, rather than just throw the box away. Everything but the Cenobite costumes is stupid. Yelling “I dont know, I dont know” and “What the hell is going on” and being hysterical isn’t suspense. Everything about the characters and almost everything they do is pointless except for occasional out of place seemingly random choices needed to keep connecting the most basic “story” elements together. The twist that the BF is working for the box “owner” is brutal to experience after almost an hour, such a tired cliche. It takes so long to get to the Cenobites. Jesus it just wont loving end. The only good parts are when the Cenobites are on screen, and even then they are too often wasted. This needs to be cut down, edited and re-released 100% focused on the Cenobites.

I guess its not really THAT bad, its just disappointing. 1.5/5

6 - Anotomia Extinction

The film starts with train station announcements and new presentations about overpopulation and city congestion, and murders. A businessman witnesses a murder and is then chased around by a strange mutant guy who “recruits” him to be an “Engineer” by infecting him with something (?). The businessman starts being wracked with pains and receiving hallucinations and messages telling him to “reduce the rats” and “be the engineer”. H meets the mutant guy again at a crime scene. The news on his TV is now overtly discussing murdering people as population control. He keeps having fits and freakouts, fighting the urges to kill? He has an altercation with the police shooting one of them and getting shot himself before killing the other with some kind of mutant weapon that his arm has turned into. He steals their car and goes on a killing rampage. Cops chase him to his home and there is a confrontation. He destroys them all, and when we see him next he is all hosed up and mutated. We then see scenes of other mutated Engineers around the city. We then suddenly see him and he is fully normal, walking in a crowd, he looks at his normal un-mutated hand and smiles. A voice announced “The Latest Congestion Update…” and the film ends.

A highly stylised film with almost zero dialogue. Its very low budget, but still visually nice. Different and very 90’s Japan. Sort of remade as Tokyo Gore Police in 2008. 2/5

7 - Men (2022)

British folk horror. A strange interesting film.

A woman takes a vacation in the country after the suicide of her husband. She encounters men in a variety of hosed up forms.

Its shot lovely, and the score is excellent. Its atmospheric yet intense, grounded but with big surreal moments, rich in subtext, and genuinely creepy and hosed up and confronting as needed. An interesting, different and even enjoyable film. 3/5

8 - Houseboat Horror (1989)

Some A grade Aussie shot on video dogshit.

A rock band, crew and entourage go to a lake to film a video clip. A killer, known as Acid Head, starts killing everyone.

Its awfulness and notoriety are the films only redeeming qualities. 1/5

Demilich Vocals
Oct 7, 2022

by Hand Knit
9 - Who can Kill a Child (1976)

¿Quién puede matar a un niño? Some real 70’s exploitation insanity.

Kids are attacking and killing adults in retribution for decades of abuse and past atrocities against children (as seen in the opening montage of stock footage of war, famine, the holocaust, that just keeps going for a full 10 minutes). Initially the adults are incapable of killing the children in defense, but that soon ends… The adults fight back. The children seem to be able to recruit other children just by looking at them. An unborn child “joins” the children by killing the pregnant main female character from the inside.

It’s a rather slow and meandering and occasionally very hosed up film.

The movie ends with a small group of children preparing to head to mainland Spain on a motorboat, taking care to go in low numbers to avoid suspicion. When one girl asks, “Do you think the other children will start playing the way we do?” the boy in charge grins and says, “Oh, yes…there are lots of children in the world. Lots of them.” 2/5.

10 - Lair of the White Worm (1988)

A horror comedy by Ken Russell based on the Bram Stoker novel, staring Hugh Grant and Peter Capaldi.

Peter Capaldi is an archeologist digging on the grounds of Hugh Grants manor. They find a skull, possibly that of the the d’Ampton ‘worm’ (Lambton worm), a legendary creature said to have been slain by an ancestor of Grants. A missing persons watch is found, a seductress is encountered, and the legend of the “worm” may be more real than it seems.

An interesting really enjoyable film, a bit raunchy, and almost camp? There’s some far out psychedelic moments, some horror moments. It is absolutely a comedy and in ways you are not initially expecting at all, dry yet overt and often just outlandish and bizarre. Intelligently and stupidly, almost subversively, fully aware of its insanity. 3/5

Demilich Vocals fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Oct 9, 2022

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Alligator :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky:
1980, Lewis Teague, Shudder

Far better than it has any right to be. Thoroughly carried by a genuinely funny script and Robert Forster's immense likeability that should have led to him being a bigger star. Premise is simple: an alligator is flushed down the toilet in 1968 and becomes an unstoppable mutant by 1980 that begins eating everyone dumb enough to go into the sewer or fall into the water. You go in expecting a very forgettable movie and actually get something that both delivers on fun characters and practical effects.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

9. Fantastic Planet (1973) - 4.5/5

The Criterion Channel describes this as “a perennially compelling statement against conformity and violence”, which, sure, you could read into the film along with many other messages, but strikes me as backwards and missing the point. It’s primarily about a class struggle— and the Oms achieve their freedom through collective action and explicitly by engaging in a violent revolution against their oppressors! The constant potential of another violent uprising is what enables the peaceful coexistence of the ending! It’s indicative of how tamed the 99% are that this atomized take is foregrounded by Criterion. Kind of sad really. Get educated like the Oms!

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

16. Fresh (2022)
Loved the title card at thirtysomething minutes into this - I went into it blind (but had some assumptions based on the poster) and thought this did a good job of letting you marinate in your worry for a while before it drops the hammer / meat tenderizer.

Daisy Edgar-Jones is brilliant as Noa, you're rooting for her so hard and she's being so smart (for someone chained up and getting her rear end ate but not in the fun way). And Sebastian Stan is so arrogant and easy to root against in this, I hooted when Noa seemingly heard me say "bite his loving dick off!" through my TV. But I do get annoyed at stupid decisions in horror movies, and Noa going back alone for her cell phone bothered me, since she was with Mollie who had her phone and said there was no service. I just don't get the urgency to go back for it beyond "we need her to go back to deal with Ann". At least Mollie got to clobber Ann with a shovel. Solid movie!

:spooky: 4/5 -- Bingo Square: Femme Fatale (feature directorial debut of Mimi Cave, but this would also work for Zombie Honeymoon or To Serve Man squares

17. Hellraiser (2022)
Yeah, I watched it too. This was fine, I guess. They do a good job of making a coherent story out of the whole Cenobite / Leviathan etc. mythos and there are some fun visuals, but making the framing story one of addiction feels so overdone and boring. And where was all the HORNY?! This was so sexless. Hellraiser is a series for sleazy freaks! Have you ever been so horny you summoned hell demons just to see if they invented any new ways to nut? That's what Hellraiser movies should be imho, and this is very much not that - but it's still probably better than most of the movies in the franchise.

:spooky: 3/5 -- Bingo Square: They Always Come Back

Total Watched: 17 // First Time: 15

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

7. Waxwork
:spooky:Dead and Buried Challenge:spooky:

A very satisfactory 80s horror spook-show. It’s vignette-y as some shithead college students find themselves sucked into haunted wax display. Less about the wax as in something like House of Wax and more of an excuse to film tributes to werewolf, vampire, mummy, and zombie films. All of which are really charming and fun. Not an expensive film but an impressive array of effects and characters. A real Halloween kind of film. The finale when a horde of octogenarians burst in to save the day was so ridiculous and campy- it really made me smile. It’s not the greatest version of this particular type of 80s horror, could stand to trim down a bit, but it’s pretty fun.

Shout out to the man himself, David Warner, the reason why I am using this for the Dead and Buried challenge. It probably goes without saying that he nails the main villain character. He is seemingly effortlessly sinister yet charming. We lost a real gem.

:spooky:3.5/5:spooky:

5/5- Return of the Living Dead (1985)*
4.5/5 - Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
4/5 - Tales from the Crypt (1972)
3.5/5 - Evil Toons (1992), Waxwork (1989)
3/5 - Ghost Stories (2017)
2.5/5 - Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers (1988)

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 9, 2022

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
#6 No one Gets Out Alive (2021)

A young woman, Ambar, winds up living in a haunted house, but she can't Just Move Out because she's undocumented.
This is a Netflix horror movie, which is to say it's well-made but not quite weird enough to be truly great. The central metaphor is not subtle, but it's original enough- she can't get help from authorities because she's an illegal immigrant, and she can't seem to get help from individuals because they know there's no alternative. Much of the movie is this steady raising-of-stakes, and all she can really do is hope it goes away, like hoping your cough will go away when you can't afford a doctor. The end of the movie is kind of brilliant in its way: all she really does in find someone who will deal fairly and keep its word to her, bodies in exchange for healing. The monster, by the way, has this pretty funky design, wish it got to do more. Anyway, the movie is probably what you expect, but it's a decent execution of it nonetheless.
I'm counting it for Hausu
Connective tissue with #5 Vampire's Kiss: that's easy, both prominently feature a latina woman treated like poo poo by her boss.

#7: Savageland (2015)

A man takes 36 black-and-white photographs while fleeing through a small-town zombie apocalypse.
Fantastic movie. I loved it. It's a faux-documentary, a counterfactual pushing back against the official narrative that Salazar - photographer, and undocumented immigrant, and lone survivor - personally killed like a hundred people. It commits hard to the format, and does a lot with not much budget. Most of the movie is talking heads, vox pops, and narration over the photos, but those photos are so compelling, you just can't look away. Aside from Salazar's personal story (which can only be inferred, the man himself gives little away), the focus of the movie is on illegal immigration, and the hysteria and tacitly-permitted violence over it. I can't help but read it as a climate-change movie; these people and this society have no response to a godawful horrific catastrophe aside from finding a scapegoat and doling out some frontier-justice, and this is surely going to catch up with them sooner or later. A very angry, memorable film.

Props to Xiahou Dun for putting this one on my list. it's on youtube btw. This was my 100th movie of the year! and I'm counting it for V/H/S. The "footage" is a bunch of photos, something like 0.01FPS, but it's still a movie that purports to be someone's technology-assisted record of an event that happened to them, a movie in which the recording device exists within the movie, so it counts, damnit.
Connective tissue with #6: oh come on, do I even have to say it? I didn't plan to line these two up, it just kinda happened.

Spooky Bingo status:

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Whoa whoa wait, time out.
A Field in England (2013)
Directed by Ben Wheatley

🎃 Picnic At Hanging Rock 🎃

"It does not surprise me that the devil is an Irishman. Though I thought perhaps a bit taller."

Sometimes uneasy and disoriented is the best kind of scared.

👻👻👻.5/5

October Challenge 4/31
1. Blood Feast (1963), 2. Sunshine (2007), 3. Relic (2020), 4. Mortuary (2005)

Spooky Bingo 7/36
1. Rodan (1956), 2. Carrie (2013), 3. Gargoyles (1972), 4. Ticks (1993), 5. Penda’s Fen (1974), 6. Crimson Peak (2015), 7. A Field in England (2013)

Total 11/?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

20. Piranha 3D

I admire any tits'n'teeth shlock that grasps the nettle and commits to the bit, and oh boy does this commit. Starts a little slow, although playing "Spot the It's-A-Living Character Actor" does push you through all the exposition (VIng Rhames! Christopher Lloyd! Richard Dreyfuss!), it eventually does concede "Okay, we've got all the boring stuff out of the way, we've got the Spring Break party set-piece and we're going for it", even with some creative non-piranha kills (face pulled off by hair stuck in an outboard engine is a personal highlight).

It's silly, it's camp, it's shlocky, but it's so earnestly all of those things, I have to enjoy it.

3 out of 5!

20/31, watched: Scary Movie, Final Destination 4, Happy Death Day, Final Destination, No One Gets Out Alive, Smile, Freaky, Body Bags, Alien Psychosis, The Invisible Man, The Last Exorcism, Final Destination 2, Werewolves of the Third Reich, Unfriended, Final Destination 3, Hellraiser (2022), Deadstream, Final Destination 5, Village of the Damned, Piranha 3D

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 9, 2022

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

#8: Skeleton Man (2004)
:spooky:Osteology:spooky:

A Predator rip-off in which Michael Rooker and Casper Van Dien are hunted by a vengeful Native American spirit. And that is overselling it. Turns out I was indeed tempting fate by calling Mad Doctor of Blood Island the worst movie I'd see for the challenge. The screenplay is dumb as dirt, 99% of the movie takes place in broad daylight and most of the kills are just people being thrown a short distance. The only interesting moment occurs when a blind(?) Native American weirdo tells the monster's backstory in exchange for a can of beans because "beans is good." Rooker and Van Dien are part of an "undercover search and rescue team" looking for army guys who were killed by the monster. They're "undercover" because it's cheaper and easier than costuming six people in military garb, I assume. The monster, aka "Cottonmouth Joe," shrugs off gunfire and grenades until an entire building explodes around him and that kills him, the end. I need a serious palate cleanser tonight.

0 out of 5

1. Dracula (Spanish)(1931)
2. Trick r Treat (2007)
3. Ghost Ship (2002) H20
4. The Devil Within Her (1975) Goodnight, Mommy
5. Ghost Story (1981) Paperbacks From Hell
6. Nomads (1986) Punk Vacation
7. Mad Doctor of Blood Island (1969) Thrilla in Manila
8. Skeleton Man (2004) Osteology

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

WeaponX posted:

7. Waxwork
:spooky:Dead and Buried Challenge:spooky:

I like Waxwork 2 a lot too, I’m not sure if I’d call it better than the first but it does have a black and white segment starring Bruce Campbell that’s a riff on The Haunting AND it ends with a rap song over the credits that recaps the events of the movie

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Alright you guys have talked me into watching Savageland. A shame it’s not available on bluray

Purno
Aug 6, 2008

10 Chopping Mall (1986) rewatch

Fancy new mall security robots go haywire and start killing a bunch of teens throwing a party. There really isn't much more to it than that. At 76 minutes it doesn't waste much time with setting things up, and the characters are paper thin, but that doesn't matter. You're here for the killer robots and it delivers. Just a fun flick.

11 Death Spa (1989)
Bingo: Glitches

People end up (almost) dying at a fancy spa. Who or what is behind it? Since there's a supercomputer involved, I'm counting this for Glitches. This was a blast! The spa itself is one the most quintessentially 80s looking sets you'll ever see. The action comes quick and fast, and there is a lot of variety in the kills and set pieces. There is some weird supernatural / dream logic going, and it really reminded me of Italian horror, in the sense that just throws all these wild ideas at you where "does this look cool" is more important than "does this make sense", and I can respect that. Sure, it is messy and there is some dodgy acting but that is more than balanced out by the good stuff. Highly recommended if you enjoy 80s cheese

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Chopping Mall is good times for sure.

Getting a late start, here's movie number 1 of 13:

StageFright (1987)

Decent flick, love the style. Big Dario fan and enjoy those pumpin' rockin' 80s scores a lot too, so this has potential. Overall for me this didn't quite make it to keeper status, the first half felt a lot more inspired than the second half. Opera from that year is a lot more impressive and captivating for me. And yet, I also love a good cheap thrills slasher movie, but this to me didn't feel as alive and interesting as your usual Friday the 13th movie either. Just felt like the usual popular elements we enjoy thrown together in an amateurish way. Almost like it was put together by committee. But, that's still a decent time, and a cut above your usual cash-in slasher. Nightmare Beach is one I liked a bit better for example, also Delirium. I think I might just be the oddball who likes Lamberto Bava and Umberto Lenzi better than Michele Soavi. Or maybe George Eastman's script just could've been cooler. Still, not a bad time.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

gey muckle mowser posted:

I like Waxwork 2 a lot too, I’m not sure if I’d call it better than the first but it does have a black and white segment starring Bruce Campbell that’s a riff on The Haunting AND it ends with a rap song over the credits that recaps the events of the movie

Every movie should end like this.