Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Varsity
Jun 4, 2006

I wouldn't recommend Potion Permit, and this is coming from a guy who has been playing Farm and Life Simulators since Harvest Moon on the Gameboy.

It looks like it should be a charming Farm/life/shop simulator, but it really isn't. The gameplay loop is really bad, it's either run and talk to villagers to increase their once-daily friendship stat increase, or fast travel to the forest area and farm the same exact mobs and resource nodes that you've been farming for the last 7 in-game days.

All the progress unlocks that I have seen are literally just grind up wood/stone/money and maybe the occasional 'talk to this NPC', and then they open up a new area with differently skinned resource nodes and more mobs.

As for the main gimmick of the game, curing villagers and whatnot... It gets old about 3 sick villagers in. You play a 'babby's first rhythm game' over and over, and then make a randomized potion that the game wants. Everything about it is unfun, tedious and annoying.

Other than the graphics, the villager interactions are nice and every new level of friendship brings a cutscene/quest. Those are well written, but the solution is almost always a random fetch quest or make a potion (which as we've established, is quite boring).

I wouldn't recommend it, unless you really are jonesing for an on-rails, grindy experience. Cute graphics, and competently written, but pretty unfun.

Varsity fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I'm the kind of chump who will definitely consider ponying up the cash for a game based on looks alone, and the pixel art in Potion Permit is gorgeous, but the reviews combined with that day 1 glut of DLC are really turning me off. I kinda enjoyed the demo despite the grindiness, and I don't mind devs making some extra income by releasing some cute cosmetics on the side, but there seems to be a general consensus that the gameplay turned out pretty shallow, and I think I can make a guess at where the effort was put instead.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Varsity posted:

I wouldn't recommend Potion Permit, and this is coming from a guy who has been playing Farm and Life Simulators since Harvest Moon on the Gameboy.

It looks like it should be a charming Farm/life/shop simulator, but it really isn't. The gameplay loop is really bad, it's either run and talk to villagers to increase their once-daily friendship stat increase, or fast travel to the forest area and farm the same exact mobs and resource nodes that you've been farming for the last 7 in-game days.

All the progress unlocks that I have seen are literally just grind up wood/stone/money and maybe the occasional 'talk to this NPC', and then they open up a new area with differently skinned resource nodes and more mobs.

As for the main gimmick of the game, curing villagers and whatnot... It gets old about 3 sick villagers in. You play a 'babby's first rhythm game' over and over, and then make a randomized potion that the game wants. Everything about it is unfun, tedious and annoying.

Other than the graphics, the villager interactions are nice and every new level of friendship brings a cutscene/quest. Those are well written, but the solution is almost always a random fetch quest or make a potion (which as we've established, is quite boring).

I wouldn't recommend it, unless you really are jonesing for an on-rails, grindy experience. Cute graphics, and competently written, but pretty unfun.

Sadly this all feels true for me. In theory it really felt like it should hit, but it really did not. Just feels super constrained and artificial to me.

Varsity
Jun 4, 2006

tildes posted:

Sadly this all feels true for me. In theory it really felt like it should hit, but it really did not. Just feels super constrained and artificial to me.

I just wish there was some kind of attempt at depth. The tetrimino puzzle game is fun for a few times, but then you have to make some popping potion and you just sigh and start the tedious process of fitting in the pieces.

Something like this would have at least made the potion part of the game interesting:

This patient has a burn level of 6 and 3 scratches.

Let me throw in 3 red flowers that treat +2 burn a piece, and the blue flower that treats +4 scratch. But oh hey, this new plant I unlocked has +5 burn and +3 scratch, saving me materials, sweet! Now I have room to add in the yellow +3 sweet flower that adds satisfaction.

Just... anything to make the process worth doing. Shrug.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Varsity posted:

I just wish there was some kind of attempt at depth. The tetrimino puzzle game is fun for a few times, but then you have to make some popping potion and you just sigh and start the tedious process of fitting in the pieces.

Something like this would have at least made the potion part of the game interesting:

Let me throw in 3 red flowers that treat +2 burn a piece, and the blue flower that treats +4 scratch. But oh hey, this new plant I unlocked has +5 burn and +3 scratch, saving me materials, sweet! Now I have room to add in the yellow +3 sweet flower that adds satisfaction.

That would have been cool.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i guess my only counterpoint is that i like it specifically because it's not deep. sometimes i just want to press button and heal people and chop tree, and get drip-fed a cute story. and potion permit does an excellent job of being that and nothing more.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
give me the mysterious style of puzzle alchemy in the atelier games in a life sim instead of whatever potion permit is doing

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

someone awful. posted:

i guess my only counterpoint is that i like it specifically because it's not deep. sometimes i just want to press button and heal people and chop tree, and get drip-fed a cute story. and potion permit does an excellent job of being that and nothing more.

I've been playing for an hour or so between other, bigger games and I agree. It's what I expected for $20 and I really do find it charming and relaxing. I do wish it were more challenging but ah well.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Like many things, I suspect Potion Permit may have annoyed us because it’s so CLOSE to being good.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Anyone who likes the idea of Potion Permit and also is enough of a nerd to like solo tabletop RPG experiences should check out Apothecaria by Anna Blackwell. A game where you slowly improve your apothecary's workshop while gathering mysterious ingredients and treating various ailments. There's also a very cute 'travelling animal merchant' game called Apawthecaria.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

HopperUK posted:

Anyone who likes the idea of Potion Permit and also is enough of a nerd to like solo tabletop RPG experiences should check out Apothecaria by Anna Blackwell. A game where you slowly improve your apothecary's workshop while gathering mysterious ingredients and treating various ailments. There's also a very cute 'travelling animal merchant' game called Apawthecaria.

Was just about to post about this very thing. Rules-light and flexible around how much creative energy and time you want to spend on it. I liked it so much that I went as far as to buy all the expansions as pdfs (since they don't all exist in print form) and have been printing them at home and hand-binding them with thread and needle. It's been a really soothing little project.

I also really enjoy her solo mapping games, DELVE (dwarf-fortress-alike and the original instance of this rules engine), RISE (more of a dungeon-keeper idea) and UMBRA (in the vein of Alien and similar). All her stuff is very indie and could benefit from an editor, but the value for the price is great IMO.

I was just looking around the other day to see if TG had a solo/journaling RPG thread, but I didn't spot one. It should exist but I'm not the guy to do it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if you like identifying mysterious things and also solving weird problems, try Strange Horticulture

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

CK07 posted:

Was just about to post about this very thing. Rules-light and flexible around how much creative energy and time you want to spend on it. I liked it so much that I went as far as to buy all the expansions as pdfs (since they don't all exist in print form) and have been printing them at home and hand-binding them with thread and needle. It's been a really soothing little project.

I also really enjoy her solo mapping games, DELVE (dwarf-fortress-alike and the original instance of this rules engine), RISE (more of a dungeon-keeper idea) and UMBRA (in the vein of Alien and similar). All her stuff is very indie and could benefit from an editor, but the value for the price is great IMO.

I was just looking around the other day to see if TG had a solo/journaling RPG thread, but I didn't spot one. It should exist but I'm not the guy to do it.

There is one! Phone posting, cannot get link, but I promise it's there :)

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Here it is!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

HopperUK posted:

Do you mean an actual physical game?

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

HopperUK posted:

There is one! Phone posting, cannot get link, but I promise it's there :)

Thank you both!! What wonderful news :3

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
A Nth cottagecore witch simulator has hit the building

Still waiting for reviews, but the visuals look pretty cute. More of a visual novel than a simulator, though.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

mikemil828 posted:

After playing the game I am not sure how Dreamlight Valley has anything to do with copyright law or how it even matters (even when Steamboat Willie enters the public domain, folks who would want to use the mouse are going to have a hell of a time not running afoul of trademark law)

Anyway the premise isn’t that people have forgotten Disney characters (indeed the game doesn’t really bother introducing anyone because it assumes you already know who all these characters are), it’s that you the player have forgotten your childhood dreams with these characters, because you are a burnt out, jaded adult

If you like Animal Crossing, Dreamlight Valley scratches the same itch, except instead of random animals with one of a few preset personalities, you get Disney characters.

It is early access so expect bugs and crashes. Instead of paying 30 bucks to play an somewhat polished alpha version of the game, if you are interested go with game pass.

This is correct. And not only that, but the characters themselves have forgotten the adventures they had in said childhood dreams. They gradually remember more and more as you complete their individual friendship quest chains.

I've now maxed friendship with 5 out of the 17 starting characters, and completing the last quest for each one gives you a special item and a new backstory reveal. I don't remember every one, but Elsa's (the one I just finished) is that she created the "winter" biome, back in the good old days, by bringing ice and snow to what had previously just been rocky cliffs. I'm still having fun and am excited about finishing the other questlines. I'm also really looking forward to the addition of more Realms beyond the initial four (Frozen, Moana, Ratatouille, and WALL-E). The game doesn't stop awarding Dreamlight for gameplay actions, even when you don't have any unlocks left to spend it on.

PurpleButterfly fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Oct 3, 2022

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://twitter.com/_wholesomegames/status/1576984475262939137

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Tried the Potionomics demo in the current Steam Next Fest.

It's incredibly cute and it looks like the gameplay will be... perfectly fine. I hope they improve the load screen situation, though, I can see that being an issue.

https://twitter.com/potionomics/status/1527332366271668256

https://twitter.com/potionomics/status/1568272410171801601

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
its a game i had my eye on and i wasn't disappointed in the demo, yay...

the haggling stuff isn't anything to write home (just a simple card battler) but it does look like it won't over stay its welcome or anything and has an emphasis on it being quick which is nice. just gives me a bit of a style savvy vibe getting to do something to sell a product, so im for it i think.

i am more interested in what the actual potion making stuff ends up like because it does seem like there are atelier style traits/tags and what not. speaking of atelier the walrus is 100% their Hagel... even the theme music is sorta similar vibe

also mint is cute

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 8, 2022

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Snooze Cruise posted:

also mint is cute

the character animation is so good

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
yeah for sure. there were some designs i wasn't sold on compared to others, but the animations add a lot

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

LLSix posted:

Do you mean an actual physical game?

Yep! All her stuff is on itch.io as pdfs.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i am playing touhou mystia's izakaya

days you walk around an overworld map, do some sidequests and gather ingredients, nights you play a diner dash game. sometimes rare customers in who are actually characters and unlike the generics they don't tell you what dish they want from your menu but you have to figure out what traits they like in their food and drink and serve it to them. make rare customers happy and they start giving you sidequests that lead to new recipes and helpers.

seems it has a surprisingly amount of content. im still in the early game but eventually you can get like 3 workers to do everything for you in the kitchen and you just focus on the rare customers.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

The 7th Guest posted:

the character animation is so good

Yeah I really noticed that, very impressive animation work. There are some transitions still missing, but I'm surprised there are animations at all tbh. The writing is great, too - I'm already intrigued by several of the characters who only had a few lines.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Are there any good bunker simulators put there? I bounced hard off Mr Prepper (more dystopia than aopcalypse, didn't enjoy that mail system) and Sheltered (horrible inventory and crafting system)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Varsity posted:

Please don't make up games I want.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Splicer posted:

Are there any good bunker simulators put there? I bounced hard off Mr Prepper (more dystopia than aopcalypse, didn't enjoy that mail system) and Sheltered (horrible inventory and crafting system)
After the Collapse is pretty good. It's rimworld style interface, but there's bunker scenario, RNG world map for looting and underground layers.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nyaa posted:

After the Collapse is pretty good. It's rimworld style interface, but there's bunker scenario, RNG world map for looting and underground layers.
Oh hey, just had a 1.0.1 UI update. Bought.

e: lol my doctor's a cannibal A++

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Oct 9, 2022

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Snooze Cruise posted:

days you walk around an overworld map, do some sidequests and gather ingredients, nights you play a diner dash game. sometimes rare customers in who are actually characters and unlike the generics they don't tell you what dish they want from your menu but you have to figure out what traits they like in their food and drink and serve it to them. make rare customers happy and they start giving you sidequests that lead to new recipes and helpers.

seems it has a surprisingly amount of content. im still in the early game but eventually you can get like 3 workers to do everything for you in the kitchen and you just focus on the rare customers.

One of the first screenshots I saw on that steam page was Chen being a little poo poo and threatening Kyouko with a nailbat, so I'm sold. Real cheap too.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

I bought this ages ago because it was dirt cheap and have yet to play it so thanks for this! I'm going to give it a shot soon.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Snooze Cruise posted:

This game is really cute!

I guess that's no surprise, it's Touhou

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I've mentioned it a time or two here but just in case - folk who like these games might be interested in a current bundle of tabletop, PDF games that includes Apothecaria.

https://bundleofholding.com/presents/NovelTools

Eight bucks for the lower level containing several very good games. Just a headsup!

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Summer In Mara is currently in the Fanatical Platinum Bundle. Anyone have any experience with it?

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Summer In Mara is currently in the Fanatical Platinum Bundle. Anyone have any experience with it?

I tried the demo a while back, and it was a very boring, soulless experience. Felt pretty on rails, long tutorial section, and with so many other better options, I'd avoid.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
I am glad this thread exists, I play a lot of this kind of game so it's good to see some recommendations here!

First I'll suggest a game that I didn't see here yet, it's about child-raising but it's actually pretty rough thematically: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1114070/?snr=1_5_9__205 "My Child Lebensborn"
The story is that you're raising an adopted German child shortly after WW2, in a foreign country. I didn't play it but bought it for my wife and she struggled a fair bit with it due to the topics and some tough choices, but as she played quite a few hours of it I think it's worth getting if you are into that style of game. The gameplay is generally an event-driven thing where you've got some choices to prepare for the kid for the next day at school, or to react to things that happened during the day, with some light resource and time management as the adult, like deciding if you spend your time mending their clothes or doing something else some evening.

I recently bought Dinkum also but haven't had a chance to play it with my wife. So far I played it a bit single-player and it's fun enough, fishing's interesting (actually have to see a fish in the water to catch anything and it's not trivial), and I like that the island has wildlife that actually interacts with other things there. I was chased by some kind of monster (maybe a tasmanian devil or something) and lured it into a crocodile and they fought it out, I make sure to run by the croc-area regularly to grab any leftover meat dropped from what I assume were dingos. So far it doesn't seem to be too grindy and I think the village-building aspect will be fun, hopefully this will be a good game to play for an hour at a time just chilling out and planning our farm and stuff. It also seems to have some diverse activities to engage in which I appreciate since sometimes you just want to spend a while doing something else.

We also played a lot of Wobbly Life which is really great, I recommend it as a multiplayer mess-around game, like GTA for kids or something but still fun for adults. It's got a few "jobs" that you do in the game, like chopping wood or farming or delivering pizza, and you get paid for your work and can then buy some property or cars or whatever. It's fun to just play and do a job together, explore the island to find treasures or other hidden things (to complete a museum), and generally just chilling out. We've put it aside for now pending some more updates but it's pretty good.

I will give a "not recommended" to the game "Farm Together". The name basically says it all, it's multiplayer but the content of the game is entirely farming and driven by quests ("Grow 30 Asparagus!") and timers. Everything is timers and the world continues even when you're not playing. Your farm is initially one rectangular area, I think the map is the same every time, and you expand by buying large area/tiles neighbouring the ones you already own. We managed to get ~8 hours out of it but at the end it was just tedious - log in, run around to harvest everything and sell your stuff (and selling stuff is also on timers attached to your vegetable stand/fruit stand etc), plant more stuff, log out. It's cute but all of the gameplay boils down to "do thing, wait for timer, do next thing, wait for timer".

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Radiation Cow posted:

I tried the demo a while back, and it was a very boring, soulless experience. Felt pretty on rails, long tutorial section, and with so many other better options, I'd avoid.

Good to know, thanks for the heads up!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
potionomics is out, if anyone grabs it please share thoughts here... i wanna know how the actual potion making stuff feels a bit deeper past the demo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://www.pcgamer.com/potionomics-review 87