Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I have no idea what the line is these days for violence and getting an R but I feel like the hand getting cut off and the same guy getting shot in the head and then bleeding out would do it. The camera lingers for a bit on the sword-head shot, too.

Stack that onto the kills by Man-Thing and it's probably a soft R. It's tricky because most R horror movies will also have some combo of boobs and swearing. The Ring has neither, was PG-13, but also less gory? Whereas Orphan was R and I don't recall much in that either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Isn’t it always just how many times someone says gently caress

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Soul Glo posted:

Isn’t it always just how many times someone says gently caress

Mostly, but there's other stuff to it. How many thrusts you get in a sex scene is one example. I really wish the documentary "this film is not yet rated" was more available. It does a good job explaining the system.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I enjoyed WBN but let’s not get over-enthusiastic. It was PG-13 violence, with CGI blood in black and white. Impressive for Marvel, but not some sickening new level of gore lol

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Orphan was R because a "large* part of the movie assumes it's a little girl trying to gently caress a married man or someshit

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Kingtheninja posted:

Mostly, but there's other stuff to it. How many thrusts you get in a sex scene is one example. I really wish the documentary "this film is not yet rated" was more available. It does a good job explaining the system.

I saw that doc, but it was literally 16 years ago.

What seems more important than anything for ratings now is who is distributing the movie that is being rated.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I’d be happy if the MPAA would just gently caress off and go home

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TV and movies are different obviously, but since then you can say poo poo and gently caress on TV now so that probably influences the movies anyway.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The rating system as is is definitely off. I have a 10 year old and there's R rated stuff I'd have no problem watching with him, and PG stuff that's kind of iffy. A more comprehensive system is always better, I'd rather see individual rankings on why a movie is rated as is instead of just a letter.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
In a shocking twist that nobody saw coming, T.J. Miller confirmed today that he was not asked back for Deadpool 3 and his character is being written out.

He said that Marvel is giving Reynolds full control over the movie and that Reynolds is a jealous dick, so he excluded him.

quote:

“I got along with him a lot better on the first ‘Deadpool’ because he wasn’t a huge, huge movie star,” Miller said.

He said he had a “weird” interaction with the actor while filming the second installment of the franchise.

“We had a really weird moment on ‘Deadpool’ where he said, ‘Let’s do one more take.’ And then, as the character, he was horrifically mean to me as if I’m Weasel. So he was like, ‘You know what’s great about you, Weasel? You’re not the star, but you do just enough exposition so that it’s funny, and then we can leave and get back to the real movie,’” Miller said.

Also, he didn't even want to come back anyway:

quote:

“Would I work with him again? No, I would not work with him again,” Miller said.

“I would not have done ‘Deadpool 3’ if they came to me and were like, ‘We want you to do ‘Deadpool 3,’ and we’re going to pay you twice as much,’” he said.

“I think [Reynolds] should make a ‘Deadpool 3’ and continue to make movies. I just think he doesn’t like me, and I thought it was weird how he expressed that. I’m at a place in my life where I don’t need to do ‘Deadpool 3,’” Miller said.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 10, 2022

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I loved how the article really did their hardest to downplay how incredibly lovely of a human being TJ Miller is

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

bunnyofdoom posted:

I loved how the article really did their hardest to downplay how incredibly lovely of a human being TJ Miller is

It's from CNN and they literally never say why he might have not been invited back. It's pretty bad.

Even the article headline and their post on twitter makes it seem like an unfortunate snub.

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1579475624690712578

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My favorite part of it is that it makes it seem like his character needs to be written out instead of like just not ever being mentioned again and most people would never even notice.

"Deadpool big timed me in the movies titled Deadpool and told me my throwaway comedy relief character who doesn't really factor into anything wasn't important. And that's why I CHOOSE to not be in a major blockbuster as part of the billions making monolith. Definitely not that I'm a rapist.
Or bigot. Or created a bomb scare."

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 10, 2022

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Miller isn't the first to say Reynolds is a diva with Deadpool. He also pushed out the director of the first movie during production for 2.

But Miller sucks so it's fine.

(Although didn't it turn out he has like some brain injury?)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Aphrodite posted:

Miller isn't the first to say Reynolds is a diva with Deadpool. He also pushed out the director of the first movie during production for 2.

Ryan Reynolds went onto make Deadpool 2.
Tim Miller went on to make Terminator: Dark Fate.

I know which of those two made the good choices.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Miller is going to be in the next Ben Shapiro movie where he plays a comedian who is arrested for keeping it too real and Gina Carino has to bust him out and he joins a secret underground of other entertainers who just want to be able to say Racial Slurs without being silenced by the woke mob.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

They're both bad movies.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Miller had brain surgery at some point because his was broken in some way and has sex pest accusations and made bomb threats to Amtrak

Dude’s a mess

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Yeah i don’t think TJ miller has ever had to dig deep to play a massive chode in every role he’s done.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

The Question IRL posted:

different miller

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Aphrodite posted:

They're both bad movies.

Like quality is a subjective thing.

That being said my wife and I watched the original Deadpool twice in the cinema and another 2/3? times at home.
When Deadpool 2 came out we saw it at least twice in the cinema (maybe a third time with my sister-in-law.) Then the Directors cut on Blu Ray. Every time we have watched it, she has cried at the Heaven sequence where they play the striped down cover of A-Ha's "Take on Me"*.
At some point we are going to have to explain to our child why we like these movies so much and why mummy and daddy have watched those movies so many times. But that is a problem for the future.

Point is, in our house Deadpool and Deadpool 2 are considered good movies.

We only saw Terminator: Dark Fate once in the cinema, and I get annoyed about that film every time I think about it. In fact it made my wife want to watch Terminator: Salvation afterwards, and I honestly think I enjoyed watching that film more than I did Dark Fate.

* = The exception being in the Directors Cut. Where they play a slowed down version of Celine Dion's "Out of Ashes" for that sequence.

Gnome de plume posted:

different miller

Oh I know. My post was in response to how Ryan Reynolds "pushed" out the director of Deadpool 1, who was Tim Miller. Tim Miller went on to direct Terminator: Dark Fate.
As far as I am aware, he is no relation to TJ Miller.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 10, 2022

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Aphrodite posted:

They're both bad movies.

Or maybe they're both good movies, have you considered that?

Oh wait, I didn't see Dark Fate.

VVVVVVVV Yeah me too, I liked Salvation and even Genysiz for what it was. Just not 3, gently caress 3.

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 10, 2022

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Dark Fate was fine, but I am a Terminator apologist who still wishes the Salvation story got its sequels

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
dark fate is decent. old sarah and butch cyborg wife were good. it helps that terminator 3 and salvation exist to make it look better

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I think about this when I see the hottest of takes

“You are not compelled to form any opinion about this matter before you, nor to disturb your peace of mind at all. Things in themselves have no power to extort a verdict from you”

– Marcus Aurelius

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Soul Glo posted:

Dark Fate was fine, but I am a Terminator apologist who still wishes the Salvation story got its sequels

You can keep your Salvation sequels but I want a third season of The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Deadpool 2 was pretty good imo

I haven't seen Dark Fate but beach terminator blowing away John Connor is great

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Medullah posted:

You can keep your Salvation sequels but I want a third season of The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

:this:

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
Why are people disliking T3 more than any of the sequels past it? Is it about "Talk to the hand" and inflatable Terminatrix boobies or is there something more to it? I haven't seen T3 since around the time it came out, so I'm rusty on most of it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

poonchasta posted:

Why are people disliking T3 more than any of the sequels past it? Is it about "Talk to the hand" and inflatable Terminatrix boobies or is there something more to it? I haven't seen T3 since around the time it came out, so I'm rusty on most of it.

T3 comes after 2. 1 is a great film, 2 is a great film, 3 is a loving joke. And it began a stream of poo poo movies, without the slightest bit of gold. You need the tv show for a good Terminator project, but that got cancelled so even that's a wash. The series to date has 2 good movies, one good tv show, and 4 bad movies. And it starts with 3. 2 is "Maybe you can change your fate", 3 is "Nah lol". Culminating in Dark Fate which is just "Even if you literally kill all the people involved we'll just do the same story with different people, nothing is stopping this from happening.".

It's about a twenty year journey of just erasing anything interesting or meaningful in the first two films in the search for more money, and failing at even making something interesting along the way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like the problem with the Terminator sequels is that they can be defined as "John Connor dies or is intended to die" in every single one and also "Arnold comes back again." Terminator 3 had him be murdered by the Arnold, Terminator Salvation had him almost die (and was intended to die and be replaced), Terminator Genesys had him get turned into a Skynet or whatever the gently caress happened there, and Terminator Dark Fate decided that "Let's pull a Newt from Alien 3" was the best way to endear fans who were drawn in by the "let's pretend everything after T2 didn't happen."

Nobody has any idea for the Terminator franchise that isn't "John Connor dies and isn't that WILD?"

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Deadpool 2 was pretty good imo

I haven't seen Dark Fate but beach terminator blowing away John Connor is great

I laughed as hard at that scene as....well, when TJ Miller got turned into a haunted house burnt skeleton in that Transformers movie

I'm also a Dark Fate apologist, but I find something stupid to like in every Terminator movie, except maybe Salvation. I like Luna's unnerving Venom-robot, so sue me.

poonchasta posted:

I actually liked the main thrust of it and the ending a lot, it's just the execution is so early-aughts that it needs "Down With the Sickness" playing over the credits

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I enjoyed T3 too, it wasn't a classic but it wasn't awful. I wonder if its reception would be different it was the end of the franchise.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I like the ending to T3.

I think Terminator’s (the series) biggest sin is its inconsistency on fate. Comes with the territory of having so many installments by so many people across three decades, but it’s at its best when it’s about doing your best even when the world is coming down around you, not actually preventing poo poo from going sideways.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I definitely think Salvation is a lot better if they stuck with the original ending where Connor dies but is replaced by the biological Terminator who takes his place, so that ultimately the 'savor of humanity' is a machine masquerading as a person

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
my main beef with 3 is that i think the guy who plays John kinda sucked

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

it's just the execution is so early-aughts that it needs "Down With the Sickness" playing over the credits

but yeah i watched it again last year and this is rings true also

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

site posted:

my main beef with 3 is that i think the guy who plays John kinda sucked

but yeah i watched it again last year and this is rings true also

I'd like to add a 3rd: it's literally a poorly written and produced movie, like CW in quality.

and a 4th: it's whole conceit is "Like Judgement Day but more!!!(actually less)

I feel like after T2 all anyone wanted was a movie set in the cyborg apocalypse so 3 seemed like filler and their idea of escalation from the T1000 seemed like a step backwards.

I didn't see it when I was young though so there's no nostalgia for me.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

When Dark Fate came out I remember there was a lot of talk about how "finally they've got one of these right". When it flopped, I read a few takes about how what a shame it was as it was unduly punished for the crimes of previous Terminator sequels. When I finally got round to watching it though it felt every bit as bland as the other non-Cameron sequels. There's a fun idea in the middle about a Terminator living life as a normal human, but they soon brush that aside. The whole film should have been that. Would have been cheaper too.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
tell me you have sociopathic tendencies without telling me you have sociopathic tendencies

https://twitter.com/mainebelawless/status/1577906714816430081?t=Qz2AbQNK-zyn5y5TVp81aQ&s=19

im noticing a pattern of people over-exaggerating the qualities of a piece of media they've clearly never consumed before. The original Mask comic (that very first run) was surprisingly everybit as funny as the movie. The only Arc that could be considered "dark" was Toys in the Attic and people did not like it at all originally.

Its right up there's with people unironically thinking that the she-hulk comics were "darker" than the show and getting mad at the show in reaction

Edit:
this is the correct opinion
https://twitter.com/Geekgem1/status/1427399397675962370?t=LpkxIw7OGNcBZvqAeI1W_Q&s=19

I feel like if we were to somehow get a Mask reboot it would straight up have to be handled by the The Boys writers, just due to the fact they're able to handle Black Humor well in a way i haven't seen from Screenwriters in awhile

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Oct 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Joe Fisto posted:

I think about this when I see the hottest of takes

“You are not compelled to form any opinion about this matter before you, nor to disturb your peace of mind at all. Things in themselves have no power to extort a verdict from you”

– Marcus Aurelius

Yeah, but then he got Commodus to succeed him, so was he really smart at all?