Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

during Star Wars they were researching using space based particle accelerators as weapons but they had no idea how to really make it work, but it sounded cool.

The name escapes me but there was an (air force I think?) project that used a massive capacitor bank and a cylindrical railgun (one rod electrode coaxial with a cylinder electrode) that fired superheated plasma apparently with enough velocity to be a viable weapon, it was quietly classified after demonstrating that it worked and I always wonder what became of it afterwards

The (conductive) plasma was basically the armature of a railgun, and the plasma being so light in mass and the capacitor bank being loving gigantic with a huge surface area since the barrel was a donut instead of two rails, you get the idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Oldest Man posted:

Gunpowder burns itself without any atmosphere after ignition because it's a self-contained fuel (sulfur/carbon) and oxidizer (potassium nitrate) mix. No air required.

right but does it light when wet? are bullets watertight?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Soviets put a 23mm autocannon (forget which model) in space, and their guns of that calibre were always pretty good, so I consider this a solved problem.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

right but does it light when wet? are bullets watertight?

if you put them underwater for a long time (2 weeks) the cases will have some visible corrosion but will probably still work

https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/submersion-test-is-that-ammo-really-waterproof/

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

awesome

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcfuyyxFtgQ

ad video for the abramsx up

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

looks expensive

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hOLAmVpxoM

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

A Bakers Cousin posted:

not sure how that shows anything connected to gladio, but ok

It's wild starting to read a thread and getting gems like this (vis-à-vis gladio in Europe)

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Basically, it is a heavier t 14.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

indigi posted:

20mm grenades... that seems too tiny to bother with

One of the varieties is airburst, which seems like it would be pretty useful when people are behind any sort of cover.

The Oldest Man posted:

Gunpowder burns itself without any atmosphere after ignition because it's a self-contained fuel (sulfur/carbon) and oxidizer (potassium nitrate) mix. No air required.

Post / username combo. Glad to know you can fire your musket underwater though. Nitroglycerine and nitrocellulose do both have a bunch of oxygen in though, don't ask me if it's enough for the reaction that takes place though.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Even Russian youtubers get to play around with NLAW now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y0wbcVFn8g&t=894s

imagine the disappointment he felt about not getting the money shot.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, the reports of those things hitting about 10% of the time in battlefield conditions probably weren’t wrong.

Honestly, I get it is there to stop tank panic, but it is a pretty awkward setup. It is just naturally difficult to not only line up the shot but keep it completely on target as the rocket fires. (Also the guys in the field probably had as much or even less training than this guy had).

It isn’t many ATGM systems will have their issues including later RPGs, but how much systems are hyped up to push contracts compared to what they can deliver.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 16:25 on Oct 9, 2022

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Why don't they just miniaturize a CIWS radar + cannon and put in on top of the tank to shoot incoming missiles. Surely this is possible against those slow ATGMs being shot from two miles away.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pryor on Fire posted:

Why don't they just miniaturize a CIWS radar + cannon and put in on top of the tank to shoot incoming missiles. Surely this is possible against those slow ATGMs being shot from two miles away.

I think you mean active protection and it is already a thing, it just has its own issues.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Pryor on Fire posted:

They did. Miniaturized doppler radars are how APS like Trophy and Arena work, but using explosives instead of guns.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Reactive armor and jamming is fine and all, but I specifically want a robot autocannon that swings around and shoots the missiles like in science fiction. The abrams is already huge I'm sure adding a few more tons wouldn't matter.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
why not a laser?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Regarde Aduck posted:

why not a laser?

Rain, dust, fog, mist, it’s hard to get tank crews to wipe the lenses of their optics and vision blocks.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Pryor on Fire posted:

The abrams is already huge I'm sure adding a few more tons wouldn't matter.

ehhh at some point you have worry deck strength. there’s a point when poo poo has to go on a bed of timber and get crane lifted insisting of just being able to drive on and off a RORO

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Charged particles, the death beam. Zero time-of-flight weaponry. The ideal Peacemaker-killer.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Frosted Flake posted:

Rain, dust, fog, mist, it’s hard to get tank crews to wipe the lenses of their optics and vision blocks.

just use smaller lasers to zap the dust and moisture off the lenses of the big laser

easy peasy

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

It's also very difficult to dump enough watts into a missile to melt it when it's being cooled by all the air rushing around it, even in ideal conditions. However, destroying satellites in space with lasers is fun and practical.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah I wonder also how a super Abrams would do with mud or rough terrain…meh it will probably never come up.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Regarde Aduck posted:

why not a laser?

they should use otiluke's resilient sphere

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Lostconfused posted:

Even Russian youtubers get to play around with NLAW now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y0wbcVFn8g&t=894s

imagine the disappointment he felt about not getting the money shot.

google translated comment posted:

The projectile is so smart that in the moments of flight it became aware of itself, understood the world around it and dumped it into the sunset, to live a free life.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Stumbled on something this thread should be really interested in. I was checking youtube for any Phoenix Program material (not much) but there is a documentary series on the Phoenix Program produced by Michael Maclear in 1975.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGeFrbVfM7U&t=847s

The second part starts off interviewing a Vietnam vet who was so addicted to the thrill of being a combat soldier he volunteered to serve in Rhodesia. Then they talk to Captain Robert Brown (founder of Soldier of Fortune magazine) about his "Phoenix Associates" mercenary service. Then it segues directly into how the Vietnam experience is being brought home to militarize police in the form of SWAT.

It's every toxic element of American society & culture that can be traced back to the Vietnam War in one clip. At the time this footage was being shot, Soldier of Fortune was a brand spanking new magazine. Brown would later go on to become a Lieutenant Colonel. He was still serving with the Green Berets even while recruiting mercenaries for Rhodesia and operating SoF. He would later be involved in the El Salvadoran civil war as an "advisor."

Account was terminated. What was this linking to precisely?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Bar Ran Dun posted:

ehhh at some point you have worry deck strength. there’s a point when poo poo has to go on a bed of timber and get crane lifted insisting of just being able to drive on and off a RORO

Sell them specialized metal railcars for transport, younget to make an several million additional dollars bing bong so simple

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, the reports of those things hitting about 10% of the time in battlefield conditions probably weren’t wrong.

Honestly, I get it is there to stop tank panic, but it is a pretty awkward setup. It is just naturally difficult to not only line up the shot but keep it completely on target as the rocket fires. (Also the guys in the field probably had as much or even less training than this guy had).

It isn’t many ATGM systems will have their issues including later RPGs, but how much systems are hyped up to push contracts compared to what they can deliver.

NLAW is fire and forget against a stationary target and requires 2-3 seconds of painting the target beforehand if it's moving, after which it will compute where it expects the target to be. The extremely flat path (unlike the Javelin) whilst still having a shaped charge top attack is certainly advantageous and at least one Ukrainian officer has been reported to be very pleased with their effect.
If I had to field a guess as to their high failure rate, I'd say it's because of the extremely short range, the older model is about 400m with the newer model being twice that. You can guess which one Ukraine has been mostly receiving as well as I and combined with that tank panic you mentioned it seems like it could lead to a lot of failures.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/MIL_STD/status/1576301800616914944

the year is 2030 and the most mobile us air defense is something with a stinger on it

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Raytheon Coyote Interceptor wiki page posted:

Airspeed: 55 knots (102 km/h) cruise, 70 knots (130 km/h) kts dash[20]

shahed-136 geran-2s fly up to 180km/h so i guess the only good thing coyotes can do is shoot down dji mavics that cost less than the coyote

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Pryor on Fire posted:

It's also very difficult to dump enough watts into a missile to melt it when it's being cooled by all the air rushing around it, even in ideal conditions. However, destroying satellites in space with lasers is fun and practical.

Why use lasers when you could just put a bunch of small satellites in high orbit, capable of controlled decay to a specific suborbital object, breaking apart into 100 space shotgun pellets? The energy of a 10kg frangible mass at 15km/s is going to win over a powder gun or laser any day.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

TheSlutPit posted:

Why use lasers when you could just put a bunch of small satellites in high orbit, capable of controlled decay to a specific suborbital object, breaking apart into 100 space shotgun pellets? The energy of a 10kg frangible mass at 15km/s is going to win over a powder gun or laser any day.

I assume someone might actually be worried about Kessler Syndrome

Weka
May 5, 2019

Danann posted:

shahed-136 geran-2s fly up to 180km/h so i guess the only good thing coyotes can do is shoot down dji mavics that cost less than the coyote

The Coyote is reportedly 15 grand a pop without warhead, it's possible the Shahed 136 is cheaper too.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

KomradeX posted:

I assume someone might actually be worried about Kessler Syndrome

It seems unlikely that the people who came up with “total annihilation of the human race” as a viable war strategy worry about such things tbh.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

The FN P90 is a cool gun

the zumwalt looks neat

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Does anyone know if there's any weight at all to the rumored cobalt bomb somewhere in Russia? The global killer fallout doomsday bomb?

If so are there any steps being taken to ensure the survival of species beyond seed vaults?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Does anyone know if there's any weight at all to the rumored cobalt bomb somewhere in Russia? The global killer fallout doomsday bomb?

If so are there any steps being taken to ensure the survival of species beyond seed vaults?

it's not a rumor its even better than that. russia has these autonomous cobalt bomb torpedoes which can poison a port city with radiation for a thousand years lol

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Status-6_Oceanic_Multipurpose_System

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Rutibex posted:

it's not a rumor its even better than that. russia has these autonomous cobalt bomb torpedoes which can poison a port city with radiation for a thousand years lol

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Status-6_Oceanic_Multipurpose_System

They also have their own nuclear reactors and can possibly sit on a seabed indefinitely ready to be activated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

windowless military vehicles sound like a very silly thing to be killed in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUNUCiPyWC4