Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

actionjackson posted:

electric cars and chargers will be options for people with enough money, who also tend to have their own indoor garage space to charge it easily. otherwise, eh

lots of people without garages or even a driveway are going to inflict their jank solutions on the rest of us lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I still say electric cars won't be a massive thing until all the gasoline runs out. A lot of people think once that happens there will be a post car utopia/apocalypse but lol nope we're just going to have electric cars charged off a grid that burns coal or finally uses nuclear

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

cowboy beepboop posted:

why though? when i visited atlanta i took the metro from the airport and it was pretty good. clean, fast, seemed to have ok frequency. seemed way better than the big slow heavy rail I am used to here in Sydney

The “joke” in Atlanta is that their transit agency, MARTA, is an acronym for “moving Africans rapidly through Atlanta.”

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

cat botherer posted:

Electric cars solve none of the fundamental problems that gas cars have.

there is some environmental benefit but not a ton, otherwise yeah

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

mystes
May 31, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I still say electric cars won't be a massive thing until all the gasoline runs out. A lot of people think once that happens there will be a post car utopia/apocalypse but lol nope we're just going to have electric cars charged off a grid that burns coal or finally uses nuclear
If we keep burning enough oil to run out we are unimaginably hosed and we're probably not even going to be in a position to build electric cars

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I hope they drag it out and don’t reveal who is Sauron until the series finale.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

mystes
May 31, 2006

withak posted:

I hope they drag it out and don’t reveal who is Sauron until the series finale.
I hate to spoil it but it's Robert Moses

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

http://www.marcoinfussi.it/files/scuola_politica.archivio/Sprawl_Repair_Manual_Galina_Tachieva.pdf

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

part of the problem is if we want everyone to switch to EVs then the grid will have to be upgraded to meet all the extra demand, which seems achievable in theory, but America in recent history has an amazingly bad track record at big infrastructure projects

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Horace posted:

roundabouts!!!

how it started:

how it's going:

round round like a record baby

roundabouts, gently caress yeah

actually gently caress it just go straight over

There's a great one near me that was fine when they installed it years ago, but then they decided that it had too much traffic capacity so they changed it from two lanes to one so now the path through it is all lopsided and uneven.
The highway coming from the bottom is divided and has a gas station on one side so there's a legitimate need for a not insignificant amount of traffic from that direction to make essentially a u-turn through the roundabout which means you're crossing back and forth through what would have originally been 2 lanes multiple times

Only registered members can see post attachments!

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

if we want everyone to switch to EVs

bad news about that

https://twitter.com/parismarx/status/1140653683492950018

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

part of the problem is if we want everyone to switch to EVs then the grid will have to be upgraded to meet all the extra demand, which seems achievable in theory, but America in recent history has an amazingly bad track record at big infrastructure projects

EV charging draw is about on par with central air, the problem is that switching to EV solves nothing. It's an excuse to keep doing what we're doing instead of what we should be doing, reverting to pre-WW2 patterns of living.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

Worldwide there is not enough mining capacity or enough prospected ore to get the required minerals to build enough EV cars, power stations, power lines and power plants within the proposed timelines. A complete switch to EV cars in the near future is an unrealistic short term goal.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
there's a widespread belief out there, even in anticar circles, that Americans all owned horses or some poo poo prior to cars. In 1900 there were four people for every horse in the country. People walked and poo poo was built to reflect that, and that's the sort of built environment we're going to have to revert to.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i would love to be able to safely walk and bike to more places, oh well, cant do anything about it

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

ted hitler hunter posted:

Worldwide there is not enough mining capacity or enough prospected ore to get the required minerals to build enough EV cars, power stations, power lines and power plants within the proposed timelines. A complete switch to EV cars in the near future is an unrealistic short term goal.

I'm not even talking about worldwide, I mean even for California it's probs not going to happen. If they can't build a train how are they going to upgrade their electricity grid?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

there's a widespread belief out there, even in anticar circles, that Americans all owned horses or some poo poo prior to cars. In 1900 there were four people for every horse in the country. People walked and poo poo was built to reflect that, and that's the sort of built environment we're going to have to revert to.
When people look at history they always imagine themselves as the rich/powerful people

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

there were like 50,000 people living here back then. I don't think that way of life is possible anymore

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

in Cuba there are 67 motor vehicles per 1000 people. in India 62 registered vehicles per 1000. 254 per 1000 in Turkey. in the USA it's 868. I think we can get that number down if we actually wanted to

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

it should be ZERO

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

webcams for christ posted:

in Cuba there are 67 motor vehicles per 1000 people. in India 62 registered vehicles per 1000. 254 per 1000 in Turkey. in the USA it's 868. I think we can get that number down if we actually wanted to

if we believe in ourselves there's no doubt in my mind we can design and sell street legal cars for children and get that number up to 1:1

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Cash for cars for kids?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the brand new 2024 Ford F150 with extended cab and tot-safe pedals

NoU
Dec 31, 2008
instead of those fake plastic toy keys for babies, they get a real set

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

:911::hf::britain:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/oct/09/roads-focused-policy-fuels-uks-car-addiction-campaigners-say

quote:

Speaking at a fringe event hosted by Transport for the North (TfN) – a body set up to advocate primarily for public transport investment in the north of England – Houchen launched an impassioned defence of cars.

“I am a huge believer, actually a huge supporter, of the car. The automatic default that we’re trying to get people out of cars … does perplex me. I don’t see why we should be pushing people out of cars, I don’t see why we should be trying to drive the narrative that trains or buses or public transport is the right way to go,” he said.

At a reception for the Northern Powerhouse Partnership, a thinktank started by George Osborne after he left government, the new transport secretary, Anne-Marie Trevelyan, began her speech by raving about all the roads being upgraded in the growth plan.

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

UK update: still sucks

at least you have the London Underground, for now

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

my neighbor got her suv "detailed" lmao

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

thats when you pay a guy $200 to vacuum your car, isn't it?

mystes
May 31, 2006

actionjackson posted:

my neighbor got her suv "detailed" lmao
I can only hope that you mean that someone smashed it up with a bike lock

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Car washes sell subscription passes now, a car guy I know pays $300/mo for unlimited car washes and one detail service per month. He drives the 10 miles to go wash his car every two or three days.

This guy also buys a new car and trades in his old one at least once a year.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Detailing is when you have someone follow your car around to make sure that cheating bitch isn't driving with another man.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

eXXon posted:

Detailing is when you have someone follow your car around to make sure that cheating bitch isn't driving with another man.

??? Detailing is clearly when you lose the person following your car around when your trying to cheat on your SO????

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Lmao

https://nyti.ms/3V7DIgF

quote:

The state was warned repeatedly that its plans were too complex. SNCF, the French national railroad, was among bullet train operators from Europe and Japan that came to California in the early 2000s with hopes of getting a contract to help develop the system.

The company’s recommendations for a direct route out of Los Angeles and a focus on moving people between Los Angeles and San Francisco were cast aside, said Dan McNamara, a career project manager for SNCF.‌

The company‌ ‌pulled out in 2011.

“There were so many things that went wrong,” Mr. McNamara said. “SNCF was very angry. They told the state they were leaving for North Africa, which was less politically dysfunctional. They went to Morocco and helped them build a rail system.”

Morocco’s bullet train started service in 2018.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Notable reasons for the Moroccan projects success probably include using existing technology (basically off the shelf trains, same ones that SNCF use everywhere) and not making the whole project run at max speed. Also got expertise from existing HSR operators to help with the project. https://www.railway-technology.com/news/morocco-inaugurates-tangier-casablanca-high-speed-rail-line/

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

distortion park posted:

Notable reasons for the Moroccan projects success probably include using existing technology (basically off the shelf trains, same ones that SNCF use everywhere) and not making the whole project run at max speed. Also got expertise from existing HSR operators to help with the project. https://www.railway-technology.com/news/morocco-inaugurates-tangier-casablanca-high-speed-rail-line/

Reading the NY Times article makes California seem extra stupid because all of the slow and costly reroutes treat high speed rail like commuter rail. It's incredibly stupid. If they need a commuter rail line, build a loving commuter rail line.

Or be more like Texas and completely loving destroy any attempt at high speed rail and instead add more highway lanes. God I hate my stupid loving state.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

America has the best immune system against public transit on the planet. unbeatable in this arena

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
it’s normal to get your car detailed every now and then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

eXXon posted:

lmao