Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
This show is really cute, I was worried about the gakuen setting, but it's treated as a stage for political intrigue and class tension more than a place for high school hijinks so far. The "posh military academy" character and costume designs are really adorable and charming. Kind of a nice change of vibes from the super gritty :unsmigghh: setting of Iron Blooded Orphans.

There better be a Gundam Caliban that gets gnarly as hell when when the pilot submits themself to the GUND-ARM curse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Finally a Gundam sequel to the hit anime Blast of Tempest

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

honestly more exciting than it being an utena-like

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

honestly more exciting than it being an utena-like

I mean, it's still a Utena-like. It just has other inspirations as well.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Man the Spacians where way bigger assholes to the Earthians than I expected in that lunch scene.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Man the Spacians where way bigger assholes to the Earthians than I expected in that lunch scene.

Consider the background context of the school itself. making GBS threads on vulnerable targets is very much part of the curriculum.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I hold to my opinion that this school should be blown the gently caress up and the world will be better for it. My fellow Earthicans, the time is now.

I liked this episode more than last week's. Got some proper intrigue going on and it's funny how the political maneuvering runs headfirst into Gundam's usual lack of subtlety. "No, it is, you're not, I'm the King, gently caress off." gave me a good chuckle.

Also this is on the production side of things but the sound design for this show is fantastic. Gundam loves to reuse its legacy sound effects so I was surprised but pleased to hear everything being so crisp and clean for once.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Gripweed posted:

Even if you haven’t seen the prologue, cutting from the scene of the masked lady to Suletta saying “mom…” is a pretty big giveaway

They also fade one into the other during the antagonist montage during the opening, keeping the same background and everything which points to them having a strong connection. And prior to that they reaffirm the connection elsewhere in the opening by showing Suletta's mom in the past montage with the top half of her face cut off, the show is using plenty of tricks to confirm who she is without yet saying it out loud. It's also a serious Char throwback for the weirdo in the mask to have a familiar relationship to the female lead.

cheesetriangles posted:

Stolen from reddit, talking about parallels to a Shakespeare play, maybe spoilers?

I've been sitting on "Aerial=Ariel" for a while, so I'm glad I wasn't totally off base and lol, yes.

Those parallels will also be an interesting thing to watch since The Tempest famously is a story where nobody actually dies. Prospero sends Ariel to thwart both a trio of grasping noble schemers (which he does very easily, even scaring them into feeling guilt and remorse), a trio of blundering doofuses (one of whom agrees to become good), and also concludes with Prospero giving up magic to live in peace after his title is restored. Given we have three major companies who are roughly equivalent to noble houses and three brat kids set up to have mobile suits and be rivals to Suletta I think it'll be interesting to see if the show goes through all the way and has a similarly optimistic ending.

Let me just say I'm not betting on it though...

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

cheesetriangles posted:

Having Elan coming in and Suletta immediately get all pink cheeked and flustered over him sets off so many alarms. If they don't put Miorine and Suletta together by the end of the show, burn down Sunrise.

While it's possible to see that as some teasing by the show, especially after Elan emphatically says falling in love is something he'll never do, I think the fact that Suletta breaks down in tears right in front of him from relieved stress, and there's a protracted pause on Elan just impassively observing her, with no change of expression to indicate any sympathy for her cause or concern for her as a person makes it pretty clear that while he obviously is going to open up to someone; it won't be Suletta. I'm putting my chips down on Chuchu. No real reason. Just cause, gently caress you; Delling style.

I'm also not convinced that Guel is the pilot of the Darilbalde anymore. It's obviously a Jeturk Heavy Industries machine, and I wouldn't be surprised if the reason it can use remote arms is because Lady Prospero gave some GUND tech to the head of the family after she tells him he should be the one asking her for a favor, but it just seems like the unit is too smoothly piloted to be the spoiled moron Guel at the helm, even with "Guel's Pride" as the name of the next episode. The first episode made him seem like he's all mouth, no bite and was mostly just the school's "ace" because there was no real competition. At least none interested in actually competing. Plus, I don't think Guel's father would actually trust Guel after Guel just got bodied so fast and so hard. I can see Guel stealing the machine maybe, but I really, really do not think it was Guel actually piloting the Darilbalde in the post credit. I refuse to believe he's actually that skillful, especially with what must be a new system.

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 9, 2022

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

I liked this episode more than last week's. Got some proper intrigue going on and it's funny how the political maneuvering runs headfirst into Gundam's usual lack of subtlety. "No, it is, you're not, I'm the King, gently caress off." gave me a good chuckle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7l0Rq9E8MY

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
i'm hyped for this show in ways i don't remember being in more than ten years. like, i'm thinking of the boxes of gunpla i have sitting around unbuilt, thinking about buying an Aerial one, and eagerly awaiting it to be next sunday so I can watch ep 3.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

lih posted:

kinda wonder what the hell prospera's (clearly elnora) plan was supposed to be in response to delling just going "no gently caress you it's a gundam"

I think giving the technology to the other companies was her plan all along, banking on their greed to offset their fear of Delling.It accomplishes everything she wants: makes them back off from hurting Aeriel/Sulleta ; disseminates Gundam tech, and undermines Delling's authority, all in one fell swoop. Miorine showing up just interrupted her before she could say it.

I have to say , Elan being teased as Sulleta's romantic partners was very obvious to me, just from his demeanor. It would be funnier if he fell for Aerial in the end though.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

KoldPT posted:

i'm hyped for this show in ways i don't remember being in more than ten years. like, i'm thinking of the boxes of gunpla i have sitting around unbuilt, thinking about buying an Aerial one, and eagerly awaiting it to be next sunday so I can watch ep 3.

Its really good supposedly! The entire line so far has been a generational step above other HG gunpla.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Scallop Eyes posted:

I think giving the technology to the other companies was her plan all along, banking on their greed to offset their fear of Delling.It accomplishes everything she wants: makes them back off from hurting Aeriel/Sulleta ; disseminates Gundam tech, and undermines Delling's authority, all in one fell swoop. Miorine showing up just interrupted her before she could say it.

Yeah, I figure her plan was that if Moirine didn't show up, she had the Jeturk head ready to suggest a duel instead; or at least, the sharing of tech in order to shore up sales falls. Which is what really sold everyone as is, anyway. Moirine just beat him to the punch, and it actually favors the plan a bit to have him second it instead of suggest it. Also, we see this episode that Nana is worried about Suletta and we know that she has customized a Demi-Trainer for Chuchu. I want her to customize that Demi-Trainer still further for Chuchu using GUND tech after studying the Aerial. I want Chuchu pressing the big bad of the show in the final episode until the Aerial arrives using a loving upgraded training machine that's been customized out the rear end.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 9, 2022

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
well drat poo poo moved really fast this episode

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
I was already interested in how they were going to show Guel moving forward from the first episode, but this one really cemented it for me with the fact that he still upheld his end of the bargain wrt sending his cronies to repair Miorine's greenhouse despite everyone else moving to get the results overturned. Not to mention that despite showing deference and subservience to his dad, he visibly bristles at the idea of the results getting nullified by fiat; Guel's a turboheel but he really does believe in the sanctity of the duel.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Scallop Eyes posted:

I have to say , Elan being teased as Sulleta's romantic partners was very obvious to me, just from his demeanor. It would be funnier if he fell for Aerial in the end though.

I feel like you might be half-right there. If Pharact is a true Gundam then I actually see it forming a bond with Aerial instead.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

cheesetriangles posted:

Stolen from reddit, talking about parallels to a Shakespeare play, maybe spoilers?

Oh my God I've been so stuck on The Little Mermaid that I completely missed this and I played loving Caliban in High School.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Permet is apparently a thing to be mined and used in mobile suits? And the GUND system consumes enough of it to be detected? Permet link seems to be the term for the standard control or interface for MS too. This works in line with previous stuff where they'd increase the permet link level before using their GUND remote weaponry.

Well, besides the permet is a resource that is mined thing.

And I wonder what is creating the demand behind mobile suits. We haven't heard of any wars or conflicts and none of the details thus far implies some kind of situation with flagship/prestige combat MS to advertise their non-combat civilian line. There's companies outside of the Benerit Group that also develop MS or whatever industry these companies are ultimately competing in.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There's 100% going to be a Gundam Caliban.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Elan is pretty clearly interested in the Aerial. So far his two scenes prior to talking with Suletta were him reading up on the Aerial and being told to find out more about the Aerial.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I fully expect the first death to be The head of Jeturk who has made the cardinal sin of listening to and following along with the Char. Nothing good comes from that

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
https://twitter.com/141mkt3/status/1579032583375302657

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

lol thats good

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Cao Ni Ma posted:

lol thats good
https://twitter.com/BLACKPINK444888/status/1579066483300528130?s=20&t=NQZEPYaGV3sVdywNUslmew
(it does not contain any sensitive content)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Argas posted:

Permet is apparently a thing to be mined and used in mobile suits?

Yeah this part surprised me. Guess it's like Mimosky Particles or Ahab Waves.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah this part surprised me. Guess it's like Mimosky Particles or Ahab Waves.
we have discovered the Unobtanium that makes robot go

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Suletta is now canonically metaphorically a tomato.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Argas posted:

Permet is apparently a thing to be mined and used in mobile suits? And the GUND system consumes enough of it to be detected? Permet link seems to be the term for the standard control or interface for MS too. This works in line with previous stuff where they'd increase the permet link level before using their GUND remote weaponry.

Metatron in ZoE came to my mind.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Argas posted:

And I wonder what is creating the demand behind mobile suits. We haven't heard of any wars or conflicts and none of the details thus far implies some kind of situation with flagship/prestige combat MS to advertise their non-combat civilian line. There's companies outside of the Benerit Group that also develop MS or whatever industry these companies are ultimately competing in.
The Japanese official site has a section that the Global one doesn't (yet, anyway) with a glossary for background and historical details. Permet is an element that has a property of sharing information between individual permet sources, which has been the foundation of numerous technological breakthroughs in materials and propellants and such. All that would naturally be used in mobile suit construction; advanced electronics and energy transmission and whatever other magic goes into making everything run smoothly. The GUND technology is based off human-permet interfacing - I'd say essentially a link that gets the brain to treat artificial parts as natural extensions of the biological body. GUND Format would then be making this property extend to an entire mobile suit - not just piloting the suit through conventional controls, but the suit genuinely becoming a giant prosthesis. That'd be a lot of additional sensory input, too, especially when you start getting into things like remote GUND-bits, which is probably why you have the data storms happening.

As for wars, well, in the Prologue, Delling says he's a combat veteran, so there's been at least one relatively recent war in universe. And while I'm not positive on the source of this, so take with some salt, it does looks like it's from the Beguir-Beu kit. (Tweet not directly embedded because it's potential spoilers that I've not seen in other official sources.)
Assuming it's true, would imply that mobile suit development started in earnest at the end of the Drone War and you just have at least conventional arms races and such since unmanned units are no longer reliable.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Metatron in ZoE came to my mind.

Yeah. Usually when it comes to needing supplies, it's power for the mecha/weapons, ammunition, or thruster fuel. Metatron was a bit different but it was also quite literally everything for an orbital frame, as opposed to just the interface.

Hogama posted:

The Japanese official site has a section that the Global one doesn't (yet, anyway) with a glossary for background and historical details. Permet is an element that has a property of sharing information between individual permet sources, which has been the foundation of numerous technological breakthroughs in materials and propellants and such. All that would naturally be used in mobile suit construction; advanced electronics and energy transmission and whatever other magic goes into making everything run smoothly. The GUND technology is based off human-permet interfacing - I'd say essentially a link that gets the brain to treat artificial parts as natural extensions of the biological body. GUND Format would then be making this property extend to an entire mobile suit - not just piloting the suit through conventional controls, but the suit genuinely becoming a giant prosthesis. That'd be a lot of additional sensory input, too, especially when you start getting into things like remote GUND-bits, which is probably why you have the data storms happening.

As for wars, well, in the Prologue, Delling says he's a combat veteran, so there's been at least one relatively recent war in universe. And while I'm not positive on the source of this, so take with some salt, it does looks like it's from the Beguir-Beu kit. (Tweet not directly embedded because it's potential spoilers that I've not seen in other official sources.)
Assuming it's true, would imply that mobile suit development started in earnest at the end of the Drone War and you just have at least conventional arms races and such since unmanned units are no longer reliable.

Now that's interesting. His bit in the Prologue about how he's been on countless battlefields felt hollow since the setting didn't feel very war torn, so it felt like a total exaggeration from a military man to a civilian audience who's trying be authoritative about it. As for permet, that makes more sense. It's basically replacing however many meters of wiring and other poo poo in a MS.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Gripweed posted:

Suletta is now canonically metaphorically a tomato.

Better call Roger Smith.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I fully expect the first death to be The head of Jeturk who has made the cardinal sin of listening to and following along with the Char. Nothing good comes from that

They'll be fine as long as the series keeps to mirroring the Tempest. Now if someone named some variation of Henry Bolingbroke shows up, then they're all hosed.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I kind of appreciate Delling’s uncompromising selfishness.

On enemies 96% of all spacians are concerned about defence/security. So there must be some threatening stuff.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I kind of appreciate Delling’s uncompromising selfishness.

On enemies 96% of all spacians are concerned about defence/security. So there must be some threatening stuff.

themselves, or the eartian rabble taking over, you mean

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also on Delling kind of surprised I have not seen anyone else mention this possibility. I wonder if his wife and Miorine’s mother was a Gundam test pilot who died from a data storm. Would explain his hate of them and the people that made them quite well.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm calling them fellow Earthicans from now on.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Hey, Gaelio got a lot of valuable character development as a result of listening to McGillis. And all it cost him was some-to-all functionality in his legs, his closest friends, and his kid sister's emotional stability.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also congrats to Shaddiq for being valued enough to be invited to the big boy table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also congrats to Shaddiq for being valued enough to be invited to the big boy table.
wonder if that means he already holds some kind of corporate position