Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
For fans of the "three gears working together" genre:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Crosspost from the Traffic Engineering thread.

The worst part about the graph is the title. "Change in distance" suggests that each data point is a delta; so in 2000 the EU drove 13 000km more or less than the year previous.

In middle school I was good at math but would always lose points when I made graphs because I always forgot to include titles and label axes. In my old age I realize these teachers were right to penalize me.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
EDIT: NM, that was the joke.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Count Roland posted:

The worst part about the graph is the title. "Change in distance" suggests that each data point is a delta; so in 2000 the EU drove 13 000km more or less than the year previous.

In middle school I was good at math but would always lose points when I made graphs because I always forgot to include titles and label axes. In my old age I realize these teachers were right to penalize me.

You just reminded me we had these assignment papers in grade school where one of them was usually "color in 35% of this grid" and being bored i would color in like 25% of this square, 50% of that square etc until the total was 35%. after a couple times my teacher just wrote "not gonna check, fail" but i kept doing it anyway cause she sucked

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

:hai:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Count Roland posted:

You're technically correct probably but it's pretty clear what it its.

Same on the labels though. It seems self explanatory in the context but you put it on a slide and everyone's confused as if we aren't talking about sales volume.

Carthag Tuek posted:

You just reminded me we had these assignment papers in grade school where one of them was usually "color in 35% of this grid" and being bored i would color in like 25% of this square, 50% of that square etc until the total was 35%. after a couple times my teacher just wrote "not gonna check, fail" but i kept doing it anyway cause she sucked
Literally the first specific assignment I remember from school was to write a short sentence and then cross it out with one line. Probably as opposed to completely covering it up in ink. Well I crossed all of with one continuous line. I remember the teacher being upset about it for some reason :v:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

my parents took me on a road trip to yugoslavia out of season, so we got a list of homework to do & when we got back i was 2 weeks ahead (wtf) so she took away my assignment book from me, made me sit and be double-bored. such a weird way to go about teaching. just one of many times i was told not to do homework (i wasnt even smart, just a class ahead maybe. ive been as regular as anyone since like 9th grade)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Carthag Tuek posted:

ive been as regular as anyone since like 9th grade

Look bud, nobody cares about your pooping habits

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

fart~

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/redfieldwilton/status/1576975428123824131

I love how she only stayed just above net 0% because the Queen died.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

piL posted:

If I had to guess, it's datatype issues.
Yes and no. Even if your javascript array has only numbers in it, the default sort function will internally convert to text before sorting.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

dirby posted:

Yes and no. Even if your javascript array has only numbers in it, the default sort function will internally convert to text before sorting.

E: more on topic,

mobby_6kl has a new favorite as of 12:09 on Oct 8, 2022

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

TinTower posted:

https://twitter.com/redfieldwilton/status/1576975428123824131

I love how she only stayed just above net 0% because the Queen died.

This chart says she froze energy bills at £2,500 per household, which never happened and is in fact a really dangerous falsehood to be spreading.

Also how does an approval rating go negative? How can negative 33% of people approve of her? Horizontal axis could use some tick marks too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Approval rating is expressed as positive or negative, if you go into the negative then more people dislike you than like you.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Doom Mathematic posted:

This chart says she froze energy bills at £2,500 per household, which never happened and is in fact a really dangerous falsehood to be spreading.

Also how does an approval rating go negative? How can negative 33% of people approve of her? Horizontal axis could use some tick marks too.

It’s just net approval. Approval minus disapproval. Not exactly a great measure but I suppose it’s noteworthy when it gets high enough in either direction

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Doom Mathematic posted:

'Announces freeze' is technically correct.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Kit Walker posted:

It’s just net approval. Approval minus disapproval. Not exactly a great measure but I suppose it’s noteworthy when it gets high enough in either direction

For example, her net approval rating has now gone below where Boris Johnson's was the day before he resigned.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TinTower posted:

For example, her net approval rating has now gone below where Boris Johnson's was the day before he resigned.

Ok who's next?

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

mobby_6kl posted:

Ok who's next?

Boris Johnson again. I don‘t know anything about UK politics but that would be really funny

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Neco posted:

Boris Johnson again. I don‘t know anything about UK politics but that would be really funny

It's clearly the same man but he plays up his buffoon persona by wearing a false mustache and calling himself "Joris Bonson"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Neco posted:

This may well be the actual most likely answer, with accomplished human water consumer and clapper michael gove being the other option.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

mobby_6kl posted:

Ok who's next?

King/Prime Minister Harry

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
https://twitter.com/tegmark/status/1578911288859987968?s=20&t=vCRTkC10G01TVij2V1Dltg

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The possibilities are that I get struck by lightning, or that I don't get struck by lightning. That's two possibilities, so there's a 50 percent chance I'm about to get struck by lightning.

Or wait, am I even reading this right? What is happening?

e: Oh hey, numbers! Respectability established.

Ragnar34 has a new favorite as of 19:36 on Oct 9, 2022

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ragnar34 posted:

The possibilities are that I get struck by lightning, or that I don't get struck by lightning. That's two possibilities, so there's a 50 percent chance I'm about to get struck by lightning.

no there are odds on the little arrows, they're not 50/50, it's 20/80 for "Ukraine nuked, and also we de-escalate afterwards" for instance

which is a totally sane number

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Ragnar34 posted:

e: Oh hey, numbers! Respectability established.

if it worked for gorka's phd thesis, it can work for you.
just make up a random axis and then draw circles and arrows on the back of each one

also rip latour

e:
miss you big guy

Tree Goat has a new favorite as of 19:47 on Oct 9, 2022

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

There's a 30% chance of a nuke being used in this scenario, which we can prove by all the historical instances of nukes being used

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Anyone who's ever solved an equation with more than three variables or written over 5 kilobytes worth of code should never be allowed to share their opinions on politics, let alone geopolitics.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Alkydere posted:

It's clearly the same man but he plays up his buffoon persona by wearing a false mustache and calling himself "Joris Bonson"

What Britain needs is the firm hand of Alexander de Pfeffel Johnson, Honourable Fellow of the Royal Institute of British Architects.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
It's the cutesy "kaboom" and "KABOOM" labels on the millions-to-billions-of-people-die boxes that does it for me, i get dark humour in the face of eternal hellworld but maybe your bigshot war analysis is not the time pal

Well, it's not wrong

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/jordantpickett/status/1579482159399960579?s=46

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I listened to a lecture series on ancient Egypt a bit ago and was entertained to find out how many Cleopatras there were. Cleopatras were just all over the place back then, up to and including including the famous Cleopatra's sister, Cleopatra.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I listened to a lecture series on ancient Egypt a bit ago and was entertained to find out how many Cleopatras there were. Cleopatras were just all over the place back then, up to and including including the famous Cleopatra's sister, Cleopatra.

This is disputed! Some think that Cleopatra's sister Cleopatra was actually her mother Cleopatra, who may or may not be the Cleopatra married to her predecessor.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

"Mother, sister...what's the difference" - ancient Egyptian royalty, presumably

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

What's the infidelity rate on that though? I think I heard that it was not uncommon to gently caress the servants instead of your brother-husband, as long as everyone agreed that it was legally good offspring.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Paladinus posted:

Anyone who's ever solved an equation with more than three variables or written over 5 kilobytes worth of code should never be allowed to share their opinions on politics, let alone geopolitics.

yeah but how does that apply to musk

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Tunicate posted:

yeah but how does that apply to musk

Anyone who inherited their way into being a rich gently caress should not be allowed.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

BonHair posted:

Anyone who inherited their way into being a rich gently caress should not be allowed.

Gonna be a complicated world if 90% of the world's politicians can't share their opinions of politics or geopolitics.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Perhaps that signals something important?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

So was Cleopatra being insanely hot some kind of weird overflow error where incredible amounts of inbreeding for generations produced increasingly hosed up people until it somehow wrapped around to the other side?