Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

don’t know if something’s been changed or if i’m just a lot better since i last played but i beat master mode skeletron on my first try with no real sweat. also i know it’s been buffed* but i originally wrote off the quad barreled shotgun as a meme weapon but it’s actually pretty bonkers when paired with meteor shot, it’s basically a flak cannon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
It's been a few years since I've seriously played this. My partner and I are looking to start a fresh game together. Any 'must have' mods with the new update?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

LordAdakos posted:

It's been a few years since I've seriously played this. My partner and I are looking to start a fresh game together. Any 'must have' mods with the new update?

I don’t think the mod loader has been updated yet. Took forever the last time.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
The only truly "must-have" mod was Auto-swing, but vanilla Terraria now has auto-swinging weapons as an option anyway. Terraria has had many quality of life changes over the years, including a bunch in the latest update. It's entirely playable without mods, now more than ever.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

I can't play without magic storage anymore. Being able to have all storage and all crafting stations in one place is such a big help, especially if you are newer and don't know all the recipes

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The recipe browser is also really good.

Who knows how long it'll be until tmodloader catches up, though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mayveena posted:

I don’t think the mod loader has been updated yet. Took forever the last time.

Hopefully the updated tmodloader takes a lot less time than the nutty year+ odyssey it did for 1.4, because this patch is a lot less "completely overhaul core elements of the game" in scope and is mostly "adds a lot of cool new stuff and fixes bugs".

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Tsilkani posted:

Turns out the Everything world seed inherits Expert mode from the For The Worthy seed, and this overrides journey mode difficulty. That was quite the surprise, let me tell you.

Why is my health dropping so fast?

(You are starving to death.)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Mountaineer posted:

The only truly "must-have" mod was Auto-swing, but vanilla Terraria now has auto-swinging weapons as an option anyway. Terraria has had many quality of life changes over the years, including a bunch in the latest update. It's entirely playable without mods, now more than ever.

It was never a "must have" mod.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

SirSamVimes posted:

It was never a "must have" mod.
Yes it was.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
It was essential enough that the devs included it as a base game feature. That speaks highly enough for how many people found it mandatory!

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
Eh, I had over 2000 hours in the game without using autoswing, it's nice to see it built in but I don't think it was needed to enjoy the game.

That being said, it'd probably have saved 1-2 mice I've replaced due to left button wearing out.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

playing without auto swing never really bothered me but I play with a PlayStation controller

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Dackel posted:

I can't play without magic storage anymore. Being able to have all storage and all crafting stations in one place is such a big help, especially if you are newer and don't know all the recipes

Journey mode largely solves all this IMO; it's nice to research everything you come across and then just trash whatever you pickup of it thereafter.

I do think that they need to add an option in Journey mode to disable pickup of anything you have researched though.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

carpal tunnel syndrome is not valid game balance

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

watho posted:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

DoubleNegative posted:

It was essential enough that the devs included it as a base game feature. That speaks highly enough for how many people found it mandatory!

Some people finding it mandatory does not mean it is a "must have" mod altogether.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

SirSamVimes posted:

Some people finding it mandatory does not mean it is a "must have" mod altogether.
Then what does

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

watho posted:

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

can't believe we've been infiltrated by Big Carpal

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i love the new flamethrower effect. definitely feels a lot more satisfying and powerful

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

This is a real weird hill to die on.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Mad Dragon posted:

Why is my health dropping so fast?

(You are starving to death.)

poo poo, time to start shaking trees for fo-WHY ARE THE TREES DROPPING BOMBS WHAT IS THIS HELLSCAPE

Eikre
May 2, 2009
okay, here's my opinion: doing up the Town Slimes instead of one of the handful of rather good ideas from StarBound was a waste of time.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its so fuckin lovely trying to play when you work full time and have a bunch of poo poo on the go. A 2 hour session for the entire weekend just isn't enough.

I'm not missing anything am I, there's no easy way to apply walls is there? I figure that oughta be a single click per room thing by now.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

codo27 posted:

Its so fuckin lovely trying to play when you work full time and have a bunch of poo poo on the go. A 2 hour session for the entire weekend just isn't enough.

I'm not missing anything am I, there's no easy way to apply walls is there? I figure that oughta be a single click per room thing by now.

The only reason they wouldn't be able to do that is that they don't recognize rooms, right? But they do recognize rooms so hopefully one day they'll get that done. Agree its a pita to have to stamp walls all the time.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

codo27 posted:

Turn on the smart cursor (press Ctrl to turn it on, the cursor will get noticeably thicker) and then just hold the mouse button down in the room.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I'm trying to start a new game, but wow do I not want to build NPC houses haha.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Feliday Melody posted:

I'm trying to start a new game, but wow do I not want to build NPC houses haha.

This is one of the things I'm surprised hasn't been added, being able to save building templates and then just stamp them out given the necessary materials would be so nice.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Papercut posted:

This is one of the things I'm surprised hasn't been added, being able to save building templates and then just stamp them out given the necessary materials would be so nice.

They made it even worse, I think. Not only did they double the number of NPCs several times over. They penalized the NPC house boxes and now try to make you build individual houses spread all over the world. And put that into the gameplay balance.

It reminds me of the fallout 4 settlement system.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Building NPC houses all over the map was annoying when they first implemented it, but the pylon system is convenient as poo poo once it's established.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Kenning posted:

Building NPC houses all over the map was annoying when they first implemented it, but the pylon system is convenient as poo poo once it's established.

I don't feel like I get the time spent setting it up back in travel time personally.

Especially as corruption starts reaching my spread out vendor NPCs and start tanking their moods.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

It takes like 5 minutes tops to set up 3 NPC houses, and then a few more to juggle occupancy to get happiness right. I always play on large worlds though, so travel time is potentially a substantial burden, which makes the travel savings pretty high.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Feliday Melody posted:

They penalized the NPC house boxes and now try to make you build individual houses spread all over the world.

Wait, what? I dunno how new the happiness thing is but its seemed easy enough to handle. I always just build apartment buildings but explosive guy said he didn't want to be around people for safety reasons so I build him a subterranean shack next to my shaft. The others I've checked on have all said they are happy. Building him his own spot though did make me want to build individual ones for them all for the first time. I just need more time drat it. I'm down to the lava with my shaft and haven't even been to each coast yet.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I like building a low altitude floating mushroom island for the Truffle right above the dungeon - super convenient teleport.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

codo27 posted:

Wait, what? I dunno how new the happiness thing is but its seemed easy enough to handle. I always just build apartment buildings but explosive guy said he didn't want to be around people for safety reasons so I build him a subterranean shack next to my shaft. The others I've checked on have all said they are happy. Building him his own spot though did make me want to build individual ones for them all for the first time. I just need more time drat it. I'm down to the lava with my shaft and haven't even been to each coast yet.

Placing too many NPCs near one another will make their prices increase. Especially if they live near NPCs they don't like.

Before this. You could just make 3x7 NPC tubes to get the house building out of the way (relatively) quickly, and then keep playing the regular game.

Even then, the sheer number of NPCs means a lot of time, effort and space needs to be dedicated to them.

I just wish I could cut NPCs out entirely and just build my home and play an adventure game with some mild resource gathering.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

building fun and interesting houses is one of the best parts of the game, and even if you hate it, it only takes a couple minutes tops to build some ugly wooden boxes and stick NPCs in

also travel pylons rule, I can't imagine not feeling like they save you a ton of time unless you only play on small worlds or something (which are way too tiny for me)

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I only play on large maps, but I throw a rope almost to the sky and then use a platform to glide halfway to whatever location I'm going for. By the time I have the better boots and wings, I just fly everywhere.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
How do you keep the corruption biomes from spreading? Didn't there used to be a trick with snow or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eikre
May 2, 2009
I fully understand why people are motivated by NPC happiness as a prompt for ~something to do~, but am continuously baffled by grown-rear end men of commerce actually stressing about it. The prices offered by most of them will literally never matter. The rest of them, it may matter once. The only recurring cost center is the Tinkerer and possibly the Demolitionist if you're buying fat stacks of dynamite, but both of those dudes wanna be underground, which is otherwise known as where the entire game takes place, and I am drat skippy you're going to want some pylons somewhere.

Build the 20-cell dirt longhouse of misery at spawn and, then like. Just stop giving a poo poo.