Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

[sighs tiredly] shut up also gently caress you.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Rae's ALSO DEAD NOW WHATS HAPPENING

It's a joke based off Dark Souls. Rae's trapped in a DS-esque video game, keeps dying and resurrecting.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Aw poo poo, it just dawned on me why everyone kind of went strange on me Saturday. :doh:

EasyEW posted:

And yes, sorry that I'm skipping the night deposit again, but today was another string of distractions.

So yeah, what that meant was that Friday morning I woke up to a freezer full of rapidly defrosting food because the door didn't completely shut the night before. Fortunately, the ice cream survived and the massive ham that let all the good air out is being properly dealt with, but whatever I was planning on doing in general was eaten up by a string of unfortunate events that were a knock-on effect from the first one. Come on, folks, playing the OOW Tools game was the fun part.

Anyway, my deepest apologies if that badly-written line caused a panic, and now I really do owe you something. Fortunately I have a thing ready for such an emergency:

(Rube Goldberg milking another bizarre catchphrase, October 11, 1916)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 9, 2022

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I assume Holbrook does those Sunday strips many weeks in advance and drew that one almost immediately after seeing the headlines, sent it off, and then the next day realized it was too late to pull it when it turned out the entirety of the engineer's proof was asking "Are you sentient?" and the AI saying "Yes."

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Julet Esqu posted:

WELP, Tiffany's loving dead. Enjoy your weekend, everyone!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Oh, SBaHJ.

Truly, you were the thing which aged best from Homestuck.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Samovar posted:

Oh, SBaHJ.

Truly, you were the thing which aged best from Homestuck.

I can’t see a comic of someone falling down the stairs without immediately going to Hella Jeff.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Julet Esqu posted:

WELP, Tiffany's loving dead. Enjoy your weekend, everyone!

Afraid of growing stale, Mozz is taking his new book to strange new places.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Rebooting Luann into a copy of Ghosts would be an improvement, I guess.
But Tiffany's mansion no doubt is haunted by the same kind of boringly awful people as the living in that strip.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pondus

Storefri

While I've never held a meeting in the toilet, I have been forced to hold it in the pillow room.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Medenmath posted:

Prince Valiant

I think perhaps the addition of yet further bees might solve this problem!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Green Intern posted:

I think perhaps the addition of yet further bees might solve this problem!

It's never not true

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves
A small scanning error here (page fold probably)

Nancy

Dustin

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
:laffo: It keeps happening.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "506 - Jucika And The Life Saver" NSFW Nudity

"507 - Jucika And The Winter Clothing"

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Arnold (November 19-24, 1984)

Bullwinkle

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (October 12, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire and the Curse of Tangaroa!

Randy Milholland's Popeye

And at the risk of going long, today's the catch-up day for A Sketchy Life, so this morning we're starting with September 30, 1926! The Freshman Number is supposed to be wrapped in a John Held Jr. cover which went missing from my usual source, but here it is anyway.

So yeah, a lot of college humor, as represented by (squints hard) M.B. Walicor? Yeah, sure.

A dandy spread by...ummm...W.F. White, who I don't have anything on either. But drat, that's a big door.

Loren Stout:

And a leftover Prohibiton panel from Alice Harvey:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

EasyEW posted:

Randy Milholland's Popeye

lmao

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 10/8/02

Brenda Starr 8/11-13/49

Smokey Stover 7/23/50

Everyday Movies 8/24/35

"That farmer is hailing us, Duke, but don't stop. This time of year he's probably looking for workers."

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple: The Silvery Moon

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple Website

Also Allison is going to start another Lottie Solver story on October 24, which leaves me 14 days to post the last 21 pages of this story, so they'll be a few days were I post two or more pages.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

The “Bowles,” you say.

Also really cool anatomy on that guy. Also also, once again the hero looks like a villain.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Ah yes, the Hurricane "Kids", with their receding salt-and-pepper (or bottle-blonde) hair, and obvious facelifts. :hmmyes:

Bizarro

The Family Circus

FoxTrot

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Green Intern posted:

The “Bowles,” you say.

Also really cool anatomy on that guy. Also also, once again the hero looks like a villain.

It was weird the first time, but having it happen a second time now I wonder what is going through his head while drawing these.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Potsticker posted:

It was weird the first time, but having it happen a second time now I wonder what is going through his head while drawing these.

I'd say he's trying to ape Rob Liefeld if I didn't know he was trying to call back to the 60s/70s-era comics rather than the 80s/90s

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Green Intern posted:

The “Bowles,” you say.

Great Valu Hulk adds to environmental damage by destroying the literal physical embodiment of fossil fuels because oil rigs famously spill and burn safely. Even with the "Too Subtle?" joke it's an ugly cover and an idiot take.

Here's a five second set of ideas: have Strong Guy holding a Corrupt Executive up by the necktie and warning them sternly. Have Strong Guy helping raise and set a huge solar panel array. Have Strong Guy demonstrating unexpected gentle care by doing something like cleaning oil from wildlife with a little brush.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

BigglesSWE posted:

LoL and ofc the Sunday strip is gonna be some unrelated filler as usual so it’s honestly a 50/50 we’ll never see a resolution to that Tiffany thing.

Darn Tootin'

We'll find out eventually if Tiff's injuries are serious or if she's about to become the strip's token wheelchair character as her just punishment for wanting space from lovely people, but whether we will find that out on Monday could go either way.

Side note: That shirt is official merch you can buy from Team Evans if you feel so inclined.

But Sunday is my day to post a good comic, so here you go:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Powered Descent posted:

Ah yes, the Hurricane "Kids", with their receding salt-and-pepper (or bottle-blonde) hair, and obvious facelifts. :hmmyes:

I have actually read this book: "The Hurricane Kids on the Lost Islands / Hardcover – January 1, 1941" It was supposed to be a series but for some reason, never happened. Possibly the war?

My mother gave it to me when I was 8 or 9. It was probably her brother's. Thought it was the greatest thing ever written - the first book I stayed up as late as I could to finish.

I still have it in my library. re-read it a few years back and :drat: at the outright racism...Example that always stuck with me: they found this cave. Inside, it was "black as Egypt."

Not sure if the phrase, "teenagers" was yet in the lexicon; the 'kids' were 16 and 17. There's art in the book - IIRC it looks like the same artist - and ja, it's a blond & a black-haired pair (assuming the white is sheen from the oh-so-healthy hair). The art depicts the beefy-boy manly physique all 'kids' aspired to.

This is when I learned that they made a comic strip of it.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Green Intern posted:

The “Bowles,” you say.

SAVING THE ENVIRONMENT, ONE BULGING CODPIECE AT A TIME

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

I have never known of a cat that refused to run to the food bowl if they were even remotely able to hear or see the bowl. Usually cats are screaming at you for food.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Hippocrass posted:

I have never known of a cat that refused to run to the food bowl if they were even remotely able to hear or see the bowl. Usually cats are screaming at you for food.

that cat is probably terrified of the noisy, rambunctious small child, if i had to guess

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Don't let your cats outside.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Great sure why not

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Murdstone posted:

Andertoons

Took me a sec

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Nov 9, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jun 7-8, 1992)

Big Nate

As are we all, Nate. As are we all...

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

Alterian posted:

Don't let your cats outside.

The worst thing I ever read

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1980 comics

Elsewhere: Big Oil were never the good guys, OP.

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Born 30 Years Too Soon

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 9, 2022

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
food postin

Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

C'mon Zak be cool