Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

decentraland

is that the one that was full of ads, or the other one that was also full of ads

edit: as penance for the bad snipe, i looked it up and of course it was full of ads

drk fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The best theme for a game is “financial service”

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

tehinternet posted:

This is the site that gave me so much I never wanted, so in that tradition, POGGERS

I stopped reading after the first sentence

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 9, 2022

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

That's not where poggers comes from.

The face in the emote is Gootecks, and he made the face when he was filming something and one of the film crew accidentally knocked a camera. It's called Pogchamp because Gootecks once won a Pogs tournament. People shortened it to "poggers" because Twitch viewers are mentally children

The "play of the game" story is someone trying to make sense of it by backfilling a reasonable explanation.

there's a thing in FIFA now where people are claiming the phrase "meta" (short for metagame) is actually META and that it stands for "most effective tactic available" and it drives me nuts. it doesn't stand for anything!!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
One real, actually cool, gamer etymology is that "theory crafting" is originally from teamliquid.net broodwar forums. At the time it was a pejorative, where you would have people criticizing the Korean pros and trying to give advice about their game plans. You would use it for example "They're playing starcraft, but you're playing theorycraft". It eventually transformed into a positive thing that meant doing research about a game, but at first it was purely to call someone an rear end in a top hat.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Stefan Prodan posted:

there's a thing in FIFA now where people are claiming the phrase "meta" (short for metagame) is actually META and that it stands for "most effective tactic available" and it drives me nuts. it doesn't stand for anything!!

The casualization of gaming has lead to a whole lot of this bullshit. "Roguelike" used to mean a game that was like the game "Rogue". Then "Roguelites" became a thing - games that were explicitly not like Rogue, but that featured core elements of the Roguelike such as permadeath and randomization.

Then a whole lot of people who had never heard of Roguelikes before started playing Roguelites and calling them "Roguelikes".

One of the key components of a Roguelite that developed over time is "Metaprogression" - earning unlocks that increase your power or available options between runs. This form of progression had very explicitly never been a thing in Roguelikes, which have largely had a core design philosophy of each run being fully self-contained and having no impact on future runs.

All of this culminated earlier this year with Steam running a Roguelike sale.

The roguelike sale prominently featured two traditional Roguelikes, a couple dozen Roguelites, and... then Valve made a blog post about how they consider (1) survival games like Minecraft and (2) third-person action combat games like Dark Souls to be Roguelikes because of [absolutely made-up non-sensical reasoning], and the rest of the sale pages were dedicated to those games, which have absolutely nothing in common with Roguelikes.

Then Traditional Roguelikes had to start calling themselves things like "Procedural Death Labyrinth" because the actual genre term they had used for themselves for decades was co-opted by people who have never played a traditional roguelike before, who will buy a game tagged as "Traditional Roguelike" and that bills itself as a Traditional Roguelike and then give it a negative review that says "Not sure how this game calls itself a roguelike when it doesn't even have metaprogression, also no one wants to play a turn-based roguelike wtf is this"

Now you can view the Roguelike tag on Steam and it literally shows you zero traditional Roguelikes, and the Traditional Roguelike tag is getting better at least, but it used to be full of non-roguelike games.

But most frustrating about it is that people who have never played a traditional Roguelike or enjoyed them get very defensive about their use of the term and will justify it in every conceivable way, including saying that the onus is on traditional roguelike fans to come up with a new term for those types of games, instead of just admitting that they're using genre names they don't understand, to the point where they actually drove traditional roguelike fans to hold a conference to write an official document about what a Roguelike is, called the Berlin Interpretation - and then, get this, those same people who co-opted the "Roguelike" term will get mad at people for discussing the Berlin Interpretation or trying to discuss terminology for traditional roguelikes. They'll talk about how "language is fluid" when it only needs to be fluid here because they took a word and used it incorrectly repeatedly and insisted everyone else do the same.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 9, 2022

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

sir this is the buttcoin thread

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
thats not a gaming problem, thats a media classification problem, or meta media problem.

books and music have this problem and the answer is always lol nerd shut up genres, supergenres, subgenres are fluid and bleed into each other all the time or something.

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

lol nerd shut up

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

drk posted:

is that the one that was full of ads, or the other one that was also full of ads

edit: as penance for the bad snipe, i looked it up and of course it was full of ads

Speaking of OpenSea, I haven't seen any mention of their CFO, unless it was buried in the last three pages of emotes and game genres.

He dumped all of his NFTs two days ago and quit, after less than a year on the job.

https://twitter.com/HunchoCheetah/status/1578470967432519682

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/-brian-roberts_well-it-is-time-for-me-to-come-ashore-from-activity-6984258573081989120-H7Bq

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
It's both.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Salt Fish posted:

It eventually transformed into a positive thing that meant doing research about a game, but at first it was purely to call someone an rear end in a top hat.

I've rarely heard it used positively, usually it's taken to mean someone who comes up with a bunch of wild concepts and ideas for how a game should theoretically function... without ever actually putting in the work to play the game and test out these scenarios. More or less the same as calling someone an "ideas guy."

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

ullerrm posted:

Speaking of OpenSea, I haven't seen any mention of their CFO, unless it was buried in the last three pages of emotes and game genres.

He dumped all of his NFTs two days ago and quit, after less than a year on the job.

https://twitter.com/HunchoCheetah/status/1578470967432519682

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/-brian-roberts_well-it-is-time-for-me-to-come-ashore-from-activity-6984258573081989120-H7Bq

*video game guard voice*
Huh? Probably nothing.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

deep dish peat moss posted:

The casualization of gaming has lead to a whole lot of this bullshit. "Roguelike" used to mean a game that was like the game "Rogue". Then "Roguelites" became a thing - games that were explicitly not like Rogue, but that featured core elements of the Roguelike such as permadeath and randomization.

Then a whole lot of people who had never heard of Roguelikes before started playing Roguelites and calling them "Roguelikes".

One of the key components of a Roguelite that developed over time is "Metaprogression" - earning unlocks that increase your power or available options between runs. This form of progression had very explicitly never been a thing in Roguelikes, which have largely had a core design philosophy of each run being fully self-contained and having no impact on future runs.

The roguelike sale prominently featured two traditional Roguelikes, a couple dozen Roguelites, and... then Valve made a blog post about how they consider (1) survival games like Minecraft and (2) third-person action combat games like Dark Souls to be Roguelikes because of [absolutely made-up non-sensical reasoning], and the rest of the sale pages were dedicated to those games, which have absolutely nothing in common with Roguelikes.

Then Traditional Roguelikes had to start calling themselves things like "Procedural Death Labyrinth" because the actual genre term they had used for themselves for decades was co-opted by people who have never played a traditional roguelike before, who will buy a game tagged as "Traditional Roguelike" and that bills itself as a Traditional Roguelike and then give it a negative review that says "Not sure how this game calls itself a roguelike when it doesn't even have metaprogression, also no one wants to play a turn-based roguelike wtf is this"

Now you can view the Roguelike tag on Steam and it literally shows you zero traditional Roguelikes, and the Traditional Roguelike tag is getting better at least, but it used to be full of non-roguelike games.

But most frustrating about it is that people who have never played a traditional Roguelike or enjoyed them get very defensive about their use of the term and will justify it in every conceivable way, including saying that the onus is on traditional roguelike fans to come up with a new term for those types of games, instead of just admitting that they're using genre names they don't understand, to the point where they actually drove traditional roguelike fans to hold a conference to write an official document about what a Roguelike is, called the Berlin Interpretation - and then, get this, those same people who co-opted the "Roguelike" term will get mad at people for discussing the Berlin Interpretation or trying to discuss terminology for traditional roguelikes. They'll talk about how "language is fluid" when it only needs to be fluid here because they took a word and used it incorrectly repeatedly and insisted everyone else do the same.

I'm out of the loop. Is this how Lil Nas X isn't considered country?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I think op is trying to say that Rogue is an ASCII art Dark Souls

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Text to speeching this next time I go to a Wendy’s drive through

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Rougelike, more like Nethacklike. Am I rite?

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Dabir posted:

That's not where poggers comes from.

The face in the emote is Gootecks, and he made the face when he was filming something and one of the film crew accidentally knocked a camera. It's called Pogchamp because Gootecks once won a Pogs tournament. People shortened it to "poggers" because Twitch viewers are mentally children

The "play of the game" story is someone trying to make sense of it by backfilling a reasonable explanation.

so you're telling me the ultimate root of this term is "passion fruit, orange, guava"?

I'm telling you, etymology is way sicker now that we've arranged to let every single human immediately talk to every single other human.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
how come litecoin is still 100% as stupid as normal buttcoins? or for the matter all coinz are equally as stupid but some worth giga trillions more paper/virtual wealth?

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Wow that is crazy that Steam would do that. I'm shocked.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
You hit the creeping bit coins. You hit the creeping bit coins. You have killed the creeping bit coins.

You see a pile of bit coins. Pick up y/n

You get the bitcoins

The bitcoins were cursed! You summon scammers. The scammer touches. There is a puff of smoke. The scammer touches. There is a puff of smoke. The scammer touches. There is a puff of smoke.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Mining for bitcoins by farming a MUD

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Very much the dubstep and brostep situation

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

PurpleXVI posted:

I've rarely heard it used positively, usually it's taken to mean someone who comes up with a bunch of wild concepts and ideas for how a game should theoretically function... without ever actually putting in the work to play the game and test out these scenarios. More or less the same as calling someone an "ideas guy."

I hear people use it positively all the time, but I watch too many youtube videos about character builds in videogames. I'm glad it was originally supposed to sound dumb as hell because I've always thought it did sound dumb as hell.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

lol

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Gears of War is my favorite Rouge game

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
The Roguelike thread is fuckin awful because there's a contingent of posters who really don't feel like they've made their opinions on metaprogression clear yet and derail the thread to hash things out again every time a game with or without it gets posted

Imagine if this thread gave "but the underlying technology" posters the time of day rather than telling them to piss off

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
All my apes, permadeathed

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

Somfin posted:

The Roguelike thread is fuckin awful because there's a contingent of posters who really don't feel like they've made their opinions on metaprogression clear yet and derail the thread to hash things out again every time a game with or without it gets posted

Imagine if this thread gave "but the underlying technology" posters the time of day rather than telling them to piss off

Each metaprogression discussion in the roguelike thread is self contained without knowledge carried over from the previous ones, you’re looking for the rogueLITE thread

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

an iksar marauder posted:

Each metaprogression discussion in the roguelike thread is self contained without knowledge carried over from the previous ones, you’re looking for the rogueLITE thread

Goddamn that's actually funny

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
why dont diamond hand people ever try to directly make a biz go to the moon instead of just picking stocks on a computer screen?

like why pick a company stock that makes a new alloy in a cave when you can do the smiting yourself and make an ironman suit yourself instead of buying it like a consumerist beta incel?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
they made the money for the boat off idiot's diamond hands. it's a sick burn on the rubes they duped.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

PhazonLink posted:

why dont diamond hand people ever try to directly make a biz go to the moon instead of just picking stocks on a computer screen?

like why pick a company stock that makes a new alloy in a cave when you can do the smiting yourself and make an ironman suit yourself instead of buying it like a consumerist beta incel?
Forging new alloys is lower status than being the industrialist who funded the forging of new alloys.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Yeah, I chuckled

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nessus posted:

Forging new alloys is lower status than being the industrialist who funded the forging of new alloys.

Have you considered being the advisor who convinced the industrialist to make that investment?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

Gears of War is my favorite Rouge game

Not Sonic Adventure 2?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Clearly Bitcoin doing good for the world, funding genocide. https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2022/10/the-fight-to-cut-off-the-crypto-funding-russias-invasion-of-ukraine/

ars posted:

Since Russia launched its full-blown invasion of Ukraine in February, at least $4 million worth of cryptocurrency has been collected by groups supporting Russia’s military in Ukraine, researchers have found

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

lol if anyone thinks any of that money has been spent on military equipment.