Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

PHANTASM I-IV DVD 'Box'set :cool:

fuckin' sweeeeet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

BBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOYYYYY!

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I remember really enjoying phantasm but I didn't even know there were sequels. they any good?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

The original is good, but weird.

2 and 3 are silly fun, more action-ish

4 is a boring clipshow meant to promote a sequel that was never made

5 when it finally got made only a few years ago was a loving mess

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

hmm. probably won't prioritize it then. the weirdness was really what I liked the most

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

i mean if you want weird then 5 is weird, but its not a good film

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shaggar posted:

im watching the new 4k transfer of star track 6 and while it looks pretty good this cut sucks rear end. apparently there was a special edition cut and when spock is interrogating lt valeris it flashes a photo of the conspirators as they're named. its really really bad.

yeah and, i haven't seen the new 4k transfer yet, but i remember in the DVD special edition, the photo flashes were cut in at a different frame rate than the film, so they were even more jarring and hosed up the flow of the scene

that's honestly a bad scene overall, though. it's hosed up that spock brutalizes valeris for information she wound up not having, then just shrugs and says captain sulu would know it (why??)

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

fart simpson posted:

subjective experience is not fat soluble

yes it is

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/garywhitta/status/1579223305243881472?s=20&t=uD4Fm1EdW-OWygyhY41pzg

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

i feel like the directors cut showing that the assassin wasn't actually a klingon is important but having just watched the theatrical cut, it didn't matter much after all

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

yeah and, i haven't seen the new 4k transfer yet, but i remember in the DVD special edition, the photo flashes were cut in at a different frame rate than the film, so they were even more jarring and hosed up the flow of the scene

that's honestly a bad scene overall, though. it's hosed up that spock brutalizes valeris for information she wound up not having, then just shrugs and says captain sulu would know it (why??)

shaggar posted it. it looks terrible

i like the scene, though. while you're right that it's basically mind rape, that's kind of the point: spock is desperate for information he believes would stop a presidential assassination, making it an extreme measure for an extreme situation. both actors sell the gently caress out of it being brutal, and imo one of the things that really makes it well directed also is leonard nemoy sounding broken when he says "she doesn't know"

duz posted:

i feel like the directors cut showing that the assassin wasn't actually a klingon is important but having just watched the theatrical cut, it didn't matter much after all

the not-klingon assassin is rene auberjonois (odo on ds9)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

these posts wouldn't be so irritating if they weren't always so confidently wrong

- at mach 10 and (say) 80,000 feet, the equivalent airspeed is about 1000 knots due to pressure and temperature differences. that's what the airframe, or an ejecting person, "feels." not 7,000 mph windblast.
- the space shuttle ejection seats used in the first few flights were rated for about 3000 knots, and presumably they would use the same type here
- maverick is wearing a pressure suit similar to the space shuttle LES, too
- or maybe the darkstar has an escape capsule like a number of other very-high-speed aircraft
- people have by chance survived things that are supposed to be fatal; there's no guarantee that maverick would have been killed in a high speed ejection even if it was very dangerous

arg

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the problem with top gun is a computer generated action sequence not that it’s jingoistic military propaganda starring the guy who is p much keeping an abusive cult in business with his movie income

watched the new hellraiser last night it was decent but I feel bad for people who don’t have properly calibrated tvs because easily a third of the movie was real dark

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Sagebrush posted:

these posts wouldn't be so irritating if they weren't always so confidently wrong

- at mach 10 and (say) 80,000 feet, the equivalent airspeed is about 1000 knots due to pressure and temperature differences. that's what the airframe, or an ejecting person, "feels." not 7,000 mph windblast.
- the space shuttle ejection seats used in the first few flights were rated for about 3000 knots, and presumably they would use the same type here
- maverick is wearing a pressure suit similar to the space shuttle LES, too
- or maybe the darkstar has an escape capsule like a number of other very-high-speed aircraft
- people have by chance survived things that are supposed to be fatal; there's no guarantee that maverick would have been killed in a high speed ejection even if it was very dangerous

arg

he'd be injured though

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Sagebrush posted:

if youre going to be pedantic you should at very least have the common decency to be correct.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

this wouldn't have happened if he had been flying an airship

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

indigi posted:

he'd be injured though

we see in the diner scene that he wasn't, though. q.e.d.

rotor posted:

if youre going to be pedantic you should at very least have the common decency to be correct.

absolutely!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

if they made a top gun set in ww1 i would watch it

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

get these mother fokker germans out of my airspace

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

PokeJoe posted:

Top Gun 3: First Gun

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

bottom gun, or at least middle gun

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
oh, you never know what you're capable of

i never thought i'd be able to shoot down a german plane, but last year i proved myself wrong

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

PokeJoe posted:

there was no naval fighter aviation in wwi so no top gun school :hist101:

that said flying a plane back then was genuinely terrifying because they were mostly made of canvas and glue and it would be neat to see someone try to do a god job capturing the vibe

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

the scene where tom cruise shoots his propeller off because he doesn't have an interrupter gear would be great

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

also if you go early enough then the planes didn't have guns so if you saw the enemy you either just waved at them or tried to shoot them with your pistol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

he can hop out of the cockpit into a triplane below and fight the pilot, or maybe just shoot him with a cool vintage pistol for action guys

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sweevo posted:

also if you go early enough then the planes didn't have guns so if you saw the enemy you either just waved at them or tried to shoot them with your pistol

the first instances of aerial bombing were just pilots taking a bag of mortar shells with them to drop over the side

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
make another sky captain type movie where there are dogfights between planes launched from carrier airships thanks

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

haveblue posted:

make another sky captain type movie where there are dogfights between planes launched from carrier airships thanks

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

a crimson skies movie or a second video game would be acceptable as well

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

haveblue posted:

hell yeah

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

live action porco rosso starring tom cruise

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

haveblue posted:

gently caress yes

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

The Fool posted:

gently caress YES

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

duz posted:

live action porco rosso starring tom cruise

gently caress Y eeehhh idk about the second part

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

haveblue posted:

absolutely this

The Fool posted:

also this

rotor posted:

gently caress Y eeehhh idk about the second part

mm.. starring jk simmons instead

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

dioxazine posted:

mm.. starring jk simmons instead