Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Cost I get. It's easier on both manufacturing and assembly when you only have one casting for the cylinder block instead of two.

Why do parallel twins get better emissions? No rear-cylinder cooling difficulties?

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that a p-twin heats up a lot faster, so you don't have to rely so much on close coupled cats in the header or more expensive catylizers to meet your initial startup emissions targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It's irritating because I get what they're going for with trying to carry the lines of the fuel tank forward, but it doesn't work when you have bigass fork tubes cutting right through the middle. There's ways to avoid that of course:

but also this headlight IS STILL loving ROUND

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Welcome to my LiveJournal.

I did a "Yamaha Champions Riding School." If you "watch YouTube" and "are American" you have probably seen ads for them more recently. I've known about this school for a while now, but given it's pretty pricy, I didn't pull the trigger on it until earlier this year. I decided to spend my track day money on this instead. The school is essentially a continuation of the "Freddie Spencer High Performance Riding School." Most of the main people at YCRS are from the Freddie Spencer school, and Freddie Spencer will still occasionally guest instruct at this school.

I'd say the school focuses on the basics, but also especially the front brake. I feel pretty comfortable with the front brake because I think it's nearly impossible to ride anywhere remotely fast without using it a lot, so I guess my focus at this school was mainly on body position as well as carrying as much speed up to the apex as possible. I'm on a Honda CB300R with an enormous 28hp. Any excessive slowing into the corner means seconds added to your lap time. I've watch Ari Henning's lap record video at Sonoma on an RC390 quite a lot. While we have the same apex speed, he's otherwise 20-30mph faster than me everywhere else. He tips in so much earlier and brakes way deeper, allowing him to carry way more speed up to the apex. He probably also gets the bike turned better and get power away from it better as well. At Sonoma, my fastest lap is 2:17; Ari's lap record is 1:52. Granted he's on a race bike with slick, and I was on, at that point, an 100% stock 300, but still, that gap is massive.

Anyway, we self-select into riding groups. The groups are:

Newish rider
Experience street, no track
Newish track (C group)
Experienced track (B group)
Expert track/racer (A group)

I went into the B group. I was little unsure, so I let the instructor know my experience etc so he could assess whether I should move down into the C group. The first two on track sessions were led/follow. I lucked out because it was just two of is in our group. The other guy was on a Triumph Daytona 765 (the fancy Moto2 "replica"). I guess he normally rides a Ninja 300 at track, but he binned it at his last track day, still waiting for parts, so he had to bring his bling bike. I was quite a bit faster than him, which was nice since it was just the two of us. We swapped places on the main straight, so when I was at the back I could relax and focus on what was good vs bad on the previous lap, and focus on my body position or steering/lean rate, etc.

After that, the first drill was coming to a stop smoothly. The idea is to build up brake pressure quickly and then slowly bleed it off. The expectation is your fork has completed rebounding by the time you stop. I struggled with this a little because my bike scrubs off speed pretty quickly it was hard for me to pick the best spot to still have enough speed to demonstate I was "doing it right." After that, the next dril was stopping mid corner. The instructors would be set up at various corners but the exact location would vary from lap to lap. Some of them would also close in on you as you were stopping so you had to adjust in real time. I was OK with this one because I have to go to the brakes mid corner often enough at the track, because someone is trying to run it around the outside of me without realizing how much speed I was actually going to carry. They come up on me on the straight and think I'm slow(er). This is why I usually watch someone for a corner or two before trying to pass :shobon:

The next drill, if I recall correctly, is the "pointy end of the cone," which is usually everyone's favorite drill. Basically there will be a cone laying over on track, and need to go around the pointy end. At fist all the cones are on line, but after 2-3 laps they start moving them around. They change the cones each lap. Sometimes they'll give you a very narrow entry into the corner, others they'll push your entry wide, maybe keep your exit tight, or even add a chicane at the exit. This was my favorite drill. It's basically how you have to ride on the street, ready to change line or speed at any time. Obviously you have much better visibility than a street, but a reasonble simulation!

Another drill was "mini drills" in which you stopped at the start/finish line each lap, and they woud give you a different thing to do each lap. I can only remember "brake 10ft longer than you think you need to" but there were some others. One of the "drills" was actually riding 2up with instructor. I was on the back of an MT-10SP. I've actually never ridden on the back of a motorcycle before. They had a grab handle on the tank. The drive that thing had out of the corners was insane. I had to hold on for dear life or I would have fallen off the back. I'm sure there's a large difference in feel between pilot and passenger, but based on that, I would say I am fairly smooth on the controls. Obviously there's a lot of built in forgiveness on my bike, but yeah.

At the end of the day, they had an instructor follow you and film your lap. You had at least one warm up lap, but it depends on the timing. I think my first filmed lapped I got 3 warm up laps, definitely 2. I thought I would be so self conscious I would put in just a rubbish lap, but I actually managed to stay calm and do a lap that felt pretty good. The main feedback from the instructor video review was 1.) not getting my arms straighted out to let my upper body get more off to the inside, and 2.) turning in too late and too fast. In my mind I'm thinking, if I turn in early, I will push wide. However, if I am carrying my brakes all the way up to the apex (whether it's early, late, or neutral), I will continue to scrub speed and tighten my radius. It also gives me time to make any adjustments, if needed, whereas turning later you have to get it right or you're wide/off. I was also not hitting every apex, which isn't as bad on a smaller bike since you're not necessarily braking for a lot of corners and you don't have the power to push it out on exit anyway, but probably better to be on line. I can go full throttle through about 7 corners at this track.

Next day, we did led/follow again. I think we did two sessions? I don't remember. Probably. Then we did Pointy End of the Cone again, this time for about 30 minutes. Then they did 30 minute open session, go do as many laps as you like, at whatever pace you like, focusing on whatever aspect/technique you like. I actually had to stop and take a break. I was getting pretty tired (I had to ride 75 miles to/from the track each day, so I was waking up at 5:45, getting home at 7PM, freezing in hte morning, hot all day, riding into the sun on the way home, woof) and put in a pretty dicey lap, so went into the hot pit for a breather and refocus.

The last drill was rear brake. We had to do 3-4 laps with rear brake only. I actually use my rear brake a lot, because my shock's rebound is too fast (the instructors even mentioned this in the video review, which made me feel better, because I always thought that was an issue), so getting on the rear while doing my down shifts and initially slowing helps keep it form stepping out too much. Again, I'm on a small bike, and I barely need to brake for most corners. I was pretty light on the brakes already, but after these two days, I think I am even lighter. I was probably able to run 80-90% of my pace with rear only, which means I am probably way too slow when I have my front brake available to me.

Then! They did filmed laps again. I had been focusing on turning in soon and more slowly, carrying the brakes further in. Upon video review I could see I was able to hit a lot more apexes. I felt like I was turning slower/smoother and earlier, and despite my fears, it actually seems a lot better. The instructor who followed me said I was overslowing for the corners, which is probably true, but he was also Cody Wyman, who won the MotoAmerica Junior Cup, aka the Ninja 400 class, so hustling a small bike at rapid speed is his specialty.

At the end of the day, they let us take a lap on any of their bikes. They had:

R3
R7
R6
R1
MT-07
Tracer 9 GT
MT-09 SP
MT-10 SP

I went out to do a warm up lap on my CB300R, and the bolt on my shift lever managed to rattle out. Sad. Luckily they had a spare bolt and fixed it! While they took it to their truck, I did a few laps on the R3. They also give you "challenges" for each lap, like can't use your left hand, or put a piece of painters tape across your visor, etc. I was honestly pretty exhausted at this point, and you're also responsbile for any damage to the bike if you bin it, so I decided to take it easy. Ah man this bike has such a better engine that my Honda. I'd really like to do a whole day on one. I'm so glad I found rear sets for my Honda, though. With the stock foot pegs groud clearance was something I was constantly working around. By the end of the day, I was back to scrapping my toes, but because my form is much better, it was only my toes scrapping, not the pegs. These pegs are not folding/sprung, so touching down is probably best avoided. On the R3, though, I was scrapping by the third corner.

Next I rode the R6. I have been wanting to ride one for a while. Again, just one lap. I'm not even sure if I managed to ring it out all the way. Definitely up over 14k. The brakes were amazing. I thought the brakes on my Honda were "pretty good" but man. I had to completely readjust my initially grab because the first two times the front just slammed down. I felt like I barely grabbed it. I got the hang of it before the lap was over, though. I honestly probably didn't even go much faster than my Honda, overall.

Next I rode the Tracer 9. I wanted the MT-09, but I guess this will do. I was immediately much more comfortable with pushing it compared to the R6. Obviously this is a much less serious bike than an R6, but wouldn't discount the familar riding position as well. I was surprised by how low the red line was. I was bouncing off it in both 2nd and 3rd. Again, scrapping pegs by turn 3. There's a small crest called the "wheelie bump" in which I got to do my first power wheelie at 70mph. I rolled out of it like a sissy instead of just giving it some rear brake. I blew the last hard brake zone. I'm not even sure what happened, just lost focus I guess.

Anyway, here are my two filmed laps. I've actually never seen video of myself riding. I've seen some pictures, but those aren't necessarily informative. The voice off camera is Chris Peris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GfAs5pPV3U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9GNt_RSM7U

On my day one lap, it's about 2:07 between the first and last apex. Day two lap is 2:05. Looking at a video of a full lap I did in April, the time on the straight is almost 20 seconds :o: so this would be 5 seconds faster than I was last time I was there (and 2 seconds from end of day one to mid morning day 2).

Damage to my shifter :smith:

Still have chicken strips. I don't actually care, but I wonder why. All of my tires have had this ~10mm strip remaining. Before with the stock foot pegs, ground clearance was a constant issue. My rear sets are 67mm back, 47mm up. Now that I'm scrapping toes on those, I would think I would be closer to the edge of the tire, but it's exactly the same? I wonder if my pressures are "too high" and the tire isn't deforming enough at which I assume is the stiffest part. My edge grip is still well exceeding my own limits, but something to consider.

I had to shift so many times I blistered my toe, even through Alpinestars race boots. I guess I'm consistent with where I put my foot.

Anyway I didn't really film much from my own cameras. Since this isn't a track day, you don't really have down time to mess around with charging batteries. I should have my footage of the lap on the R6 and Tracer 9, and I can upload it if anyone cares once I get home and have an SD card reader.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The wear pattern on your tire implies the pressure is too high and you're peeling off the outer layer without really working the carcass as much. But also that bike has pretty wide tires for what it can do and it may just not be possible to ride off of the edge of the tyre. Bearing in mind different brands have different profiles and would change that. Also the more you lean off the less the tyre digs in so the contact patch might well be shrinking if you're leaning off more but not using the brakes or engine more vigorously.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 6, 2022

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I didn’t air down this time (first time on these tires), except towards the end when we were doing more “normal” riding and fewer drills. I was at 36/40 hot and aired down to 31/34 based on nothing in particular. I had to ride home so didn’t necessarily want to go too low. But yeah I plan to air down much more next time and see how it feels in comparison. I was going to go back on the 17th but no one wants to go with me. I cancelled my ticket and will try going to a day in November at a track that’s closer.

Edit: fwiw this track is cw and definitely right hand biased.

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 6, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah on a bike that small with tyres that big you really want to be like around 28f/30r hot, I'm surprised you didn't notice it skittering around with them at road pressures.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

The front is fine, but the rear is definitely moving around. It’s nowhere near as much as on the stock tires. I guess I’m sort of used to it? But yeah I have another day planned and I’ll trailer there/ back, so I’ll be airing down more bigly.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

That's awesome! Champ school is exhausting but amazing. Getting video of yourself is so incredibly eye opening. I knew I was overslowing everything but seeing exactly what I was doing wrong was worth the price of admission. Corners where I felt I was leaned off with my knee skimming the surface I was so wide on and not even near the bike's limits. Day 1 video was a depressing "god I knew I suck at this but I'm even worse than I thought" but there was a noticeable improvement in day 2 which was encouraging. There are so many things to constantly keep working on, I just need to get out and start doing more track days and putting them into play.

I did the equivalent C group which only had two other students. Big mix of brand new people and really experienced ones in my classes.

They also had some mini bikes at the one I went to we got to run in circles and knee drag on, that was a blast.

Did you do a two up lap with any of the instructors? That was also really enlightening, seeing how much speed they can carry and how late they can brake into turns, all without even pushing it.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah I did on an MT-10 SP. One of the instructors (Eziah Davis) is clearly a hooligan and I wasn't entirely sure I wanted to do a lap with him, but I just said gently caress it and luckily I got one of the calmer guys. Still the drive was unreal. It was also interesting to see how hard he would go to the brakes mid corner on some corners. There's one corner there for me that's just a huge sweeper, but on the MT-10 he had to run a more V-shaped line.

I don't think I'm a particularly good rider, but I was a little surprised with some of the bike/video combos. Like one guy was on a fully prepped liter bike, track fairing, slicks, warmers, probably fully upgraded suspension if I had to guess, and he was just terrible. Worryingly he put himself in the A group and says he has been at this track over 100 times. He literally ran off the track in his filmed lap, and by his own admission had ran off at least one other time, that I can remember anyway. The lead instructor even commented "you're lucky you have those tires because without them you'd crash."

Anyway here are the "Pointy End of the Cone" and my (sad) laps on the R6 and Tracer 9, if anyone is desperately bored with 20 minutes to kill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azmS6cA_0-A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpnmFXN9SHc

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

Yeah I did on an MT-10 SP. One of the instructors (Eziah Davis) is clearly a hooligan and I wasn't entirely sure I wanted to do a lap with him, but I just said gently caress it and luckily I got one of the calmer guys. Still the drive was unreal. It was also interesting to see how hard he would go to the brakes mid corner on some corners. There's one corner there for me that's just a huge sweeper, but on the MT-10 he had to run a more V-shaped line.

I don't think I'm a particularly good rider, but I was a little surprised with some of the bike/video combos. Like one guy was on a fully prepped liter bike, track fairing, slicks, warmers, probably fully upgraded suspension if I had to guess, and he was just terrible. Worryingly he put himself in the A group and says he has been at this track over 100 times. He literally ran off the track in his filmed lap, and by his own admission had ran off at least one other time, that I can remember anyway. The lead instructor even commented "you're lucky you have those tires because without them you'd crash."

Anyway here are the "Pointy End of the Cone" and my (sad) laps on the R6 and Tracer 9, if anyone is desperately bored with 20 minutes to kill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azmS6cA_0-A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpnmFXN9SHc

If only this was uncommon and unusual

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Man I wish we had courses like that in my country. I've never heard about stuff like that here.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

I tried an MT-07 and finally got a chance to get on an R6. So glad I didn't get an R6, I've ridden full on supersports before but this one was the most brutal rider position I've seen yet.

There wasn't much drama at the one I went to, other than a full Indian bagger of some type a guy wrecked on one of the right handers. It had to be towed out, the guy was mostly OK other than I think a wrist sprain. I've never ridden a cruiser but can't imagine hauling that mass around such a technical track.

Oh and for internet drama I wasn't going to mention but gently caress it like 30 people read this forum, yammanewb was at the school. I didn't recognize him or know until they had everyone do introductions in the class. I legitimately hope he takes even a portion of the good advice and puts it out to his inexplicably huge channel and gets people to take more training and not crash into sports cars on public roads. Apparently he's doing beginner rider videos a lot lately...

Toe Rag posted:

I wish I'd had my camera with me to record the two up lap. I forget who I went with but it was terrifying and I wasn't able to really process everything that was happening as I was holding on for dear life.

Pointy end of the cone was really fun. I only hit a cone (with my foot) once!

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I would love to get more time on an R6. The brakes were just so much better than anything else I’ve ridden, by a large margin. Maybe it’s just being on a track, but if also felt much more powerful than anything too. The most powerful bike I’ve ridden is an S1000XR, but in my short experience with the R6 it was clearly much more of a handful. I’m not used to sports bike ergos which was really hammer home when I hopped on the Tracer 9. It makes way more of a difference than you’d think, if even just psychologically. I’ve ridden a couple laps on the R7, and it’s so pedestrian in comparison to the R6. I think it would be an excellent upgrade from my CB300R, but I almost think I’d rather have an R3 or Ninja 400 with good suspension/brakes/tires. Plus that’s cheaper :hehe:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

You sound like the perfect candidate for a Tuono 660

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

I would love to get more time on an R6. The brakes were just so much better than anything else I’ve ridden, by a large margin. Maybe it’s just being on a track, but if also felt much more powerful than anything too. The most powerful bike I’ve ridden is an S1000XR, but in my short experience with the R6 it was clearly much more of a handful. I’m not used to sports bike ergos which was really hammer home when I hopped on the Tracer 9. It makes way more of a difference than you’d think, if even just psychologically. I’ve ridden a couple laps on the R7, and it’s so pedestrian in comparison to the R6. I think it would be an excellent upgrade from my CB300R, but I almost think I’d rather have an R3 or Ninja 400 with good suspension/brakes/tires. Plus that’s cheaper :hehe:

In a straight line the s1000xr is quicker than an R6, it just feels really tame because it's been built that way. R6 otoh is built to feel fast. It is fast yeah but don't underestimate the marketing.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Oh and for internet drama I wasn't going to mention but gently caress it like 30 people read this forum, yammanewb was at the school. I didn't recognize him or know until they had everyone do introductions in the class. I legitimately hope he takes even a portion of the good advice and puts it out to his inexplicably huge channel and gets people to take more training and not crash into sports cars on public roads. Apparently he's doing beginner rider videos a lot lately...

Hah. What an absolute knob that dude is. The best thing to happen to his channel was this dude Spite, who had a presenters voice and provided thoughtful opinions. YN fired him and made a video about it (which I couldn’t watch because that seems awkward as hell, like why the f would someone even film that), and then lost some huge portion of YouTube subs that immediately subbed to Spite’s new channel.

I stopped watching YN when he took his unregistered track bike up and down public roads without even putting a license plate on it. There’s probably more Porsche hoods in his future.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Strife posted:

then lost some huge portion of YouTube subs that immediately subbed to Spite’s new channel.

He lost 10k out of 1.1 million.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Toe Rag posted:

As the local Ninja 400 ambassador I recommend a Ninja 400! It's super cheap to work on, insure, and gas, probably a nice bump from what you have (can't say how much for sure as I haven't ridden a CB300R), and can be ridden plenty fast in fun places. I've ordered steel brake lines I plan to tackle trying to install sometime in the next few months, the stock are a bit squishy.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Xakura posted:

He lost 10k out of 1.1 million.

Per socialblade he was gaining 20-30k a day, and it shows a loss of 10k. So it's a gross loss of 10k, but a net loss of like 40k. A drop, but the largest subscriber loss he's posted and he's continuing to lose like 300 a day rather than gain.

Either way, he sucks and subs don't really reflect that.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

As the local Ninja 400 ambassador I recommend a Ninja 400! It's super cheap to work on, insure, and gas, probably a nice bump from what you have (can't say how much for sure as I haven't ridden a CB300R), and can be ridden plenty fast in fun places. I've ordered steel brake lines I plan to tackle trying to install sometime in the next few months, the stock are a bit squishy.

Or the supposed ZX-4R that's incoming next year. Should be a blast.

https://www.motorcycle.com/new-model-preview/2023-kawasaki-ninja-zx-4r-confirmed-in-vin-submissions.html

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I learned that Honda replaced the CB300F, which I owned for several years and really loved, with a CB300R that actually looks really nice aesthetically and has updated features like LED lights.

And its only $5k with ABS, drat.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

whoa I want one.

I really liked the CB300R, but I sat on one at a dealer and it was just too small. Ended up with a bigger bike that day

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm 6'1" 175lb and found that the 300f was perfectly fine ergonomically. How I looked on it might be another matter, but I really liked how it was like 400lbs and my knees were practically touching. It was the third bike I owned but it was my first "beginner" and owning it was revelation in terms of how it felt to ride, it turned so well and so easily.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I think the CB is pretty good overall, but soo gutless. For reference, a Ninja 400 has a 40% increase in power:weight, which is kind of amazing when you consider how little power the Ninja has. Obviously a better rider could go faster, but I feel like I'm approaching 90% of what can be expected for this bike, in terms of laptimes. The last track day I went to, I had a top speed of 84mph and an average lap speed of 75mph. Based on the video footage from YCRS, I should be 5-7seconds faster per lap. I think I'd be happy with 2:20 around Buttonwillow.

Club racers on Ninja 400s do around 2:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNLvmq0LkhM

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

That looks like a lot of fun. I wish I could stand the look of modern Kawasaki bikes.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Z400RS when

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Still loving these Bridgestones. They're getting broken in now, and the bike just telepathically goes where I'm thinking and I can feel every little skitter and scrabble when the tires are on the edge of breaking loose but they also feel totally predictable and reliable in that envelope. Rad as hell

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Nice one!

My uhhhh, what are they, Cobras? are doing well on Fat Bob, no longer feeling like they are going to tip over.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nice and squared off then?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Slavvy posted:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Glad I’m not the only one whose dumb brain goes to dumb places when I read something.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Ideally!

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

It's fall in Massachusetts, the roughly 3-week period in which everyone drives like a complete dickhead, distracted that the trees have a bit of red on them as though that doesn't happen every single year.

Within the next few days there will be a wind storm and all of the leaves will blow off the trees simultaneously, gathering in street corners and making it a precarious life and death maneuver for motorcyclists to do something as asinine as 'turn'.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Any of you nerds still read print magazines? We're all two-wheel obsessed in this household to warrant some proper bathroom reading material so I'm on the hunt for a motorcycle magazine or two to subscribe to.

I like this list from Revzilla from a few years ago, but some of these are a little too regional or fancy for our common tastes.

Edit: For the record, I signed us up for Iron & Air because it seems like a good Venn diagram of what we all enjoy here, but I'm still open to other suggestions. No reason we can't get more than one or two or seven.

Geekboy fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 13, 2022

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Geekboy posted:

Any of you nerds still read print magazines? We're all two-wheel obsessed in this household to warrant some proper bathroom reading material so I'm on the hunt for a motorcycle magazine or two to subscribe to.

I like this list from Revzilla from a few years ago, but some of these are a little too regional or fancy for our common tastes.

All the best ones are UK based.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Bike is my go to but their app sucks so bad I'm about to pony up for the actual print version so that I don't have to deal with it

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Geekboy posted:

Iron&Air and Meta (which is now VAHNA for some reason) have their entire back catalogs for free in digital form, if you haven't found that yet. Worth looking through to see if you want to actually spend money on them.

Rider is decent, and also has a cheaper digital tier, in addition to many of the previous editions articles ending up on the site. They at least don't have a ton of ads.

Sideburn is flat track focused and UK based. There's some various tracker builds that are actually rideable in there. They ship world wide and have a handful of sellers around major cities.

Not a magazine, but I'd also suggest the book versions of Top Dead Center and its sequel. They are collections of Cameron's writings from Cycle World.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Just get an old iPad and set it to only open this thread

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'll throw in the ultimate dad magazine, practical sportbike. From the UK, written entirely by men in tiny sheds, revolves entirely around 80's and 90's sportbikes and crazy homebrew hybrids derived thereof. Definitely my favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/ktm-demo-mode

quote:

The 2023 KTM 890 Adventure R comes with a wide array of electronic rider aids and optional features when you buy it from the dealer. For the first 1,500 kilometers (932 miles), all of those options are activated. At the end of that period, buyers can then decide which features they want to keep and pay for them. They lose the ones they don't pay for.

love being sold a complete product and then being extorted after 1k miles.