Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I don't see why it wouldn't work but also think you're not avoiding much cleanup. Makes it worse if you filter and keep your oil. I don't think that fried chicken looks particularly good fwiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I don't see why it wouldn't work but also think you're not avoiding much cleanup. Makes it worse if you filter and keep your oil. I don't think that fried chicken looks particularly good fwiw

good fried chicken is always messy as hell and leaves everything in its wake greasy as anything. to try and remove this quality from it is to make fried chicken that isn't good

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

At best your chicken isn't sticking to the pan. But if that's an issue then you need to learn how to fry chicken. Also parchment paper will burn, so definitely don't try that on a gas stove. Just don't try it actually.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Are you trolling us, Steve? I haven't seen such a stupid idea in a long time, and I've been around people's teenage kids. There's no loving point. The pan will get dirty. That is a thing that happens when you cook. Don't gently caress with idiot ideas from goddamned tik Tok of all loving places. You know better.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’m genuinely curious because it seems like one of those science/magic tricks like boiling water in a plastic bag, where the contained liquid wicks away heat from the thin membrane quickly enough that it never gets above the temperature of the contained liquid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV2gsWHhDhY

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah i thought it was gonna be like how people prep donuts or whatever on little squares of parchment and just toss them in a fryer like that, which then come off very easy and you fish em out

but that tiktok is obviously insane

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
on a similar note has anybody had success with fryaway?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

w4ddl3d33 posted:

i'm also in the uk and i was gonna tell you to check out brindisa!! i'm basque and a big heirloom bean guy so i cannot recommend them enough

Oh great, that's the recommendation I was looking for. Thanks! Now, off to spend a lot of money on legumes.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i've been in japan the better part of 20 years and natto and yamaimo are both still disgusting

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

w4ddl3d33 posted:

any actual chefs in here? i'm hoping to interview for an irl position tomorrow BUT all my experience is with recipe development and writing my cooking column and basically i have no experience cooking for other people so i'm making GBS threads myself

Surprised noone pointed you at https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3827217 yet

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I wondered why op was getting such soft responses. I thought we were in that thread :angel:

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
it felt lovely to not update you all but i went in for my interview and the guy i needed went home early that day. so i'm not a sous chef yet. but the goons in here have hugely boosted my confidence, and i won't give up on this one

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I made a vegetarian mock-cassoulet with horseradish mashed potatoes tonight for dinner and it was SO loving GOOD.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

therattle posted:

I made a vegetarian mock-cassoulet with horseradish mashed potatoes tonight for dinner and it was SO loving GOOD.

you need to stop talking about cooking really good beans because i dont have a pressure cooker and i am so loving jealous you have no idea. what kind did you use? just regular white beans?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

w4ddl3d33 posted:

it felt lovely to not update you all but i went in for my interview and the guy i needed went home early that day. so i'm not a sous chef yet. but the goons in here have hugely boosted my confidence, and i won't give up on this one

Good luck!

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Just throwing it out there: you don't have to pressure cook beans. An overnight soak and then a simmer in tasty seasoning, followed by a baking dish to me has a superior, non mushy texture.

My favorite baked beans recipe finishes with baked thin sliced salt pork that gets crispy rendering the salty goodness into the sauce. I only make it for big parties because 1 lb of dried beans makes a stupid amount of food.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Arkhamina posted:

Just throwing it out there: you don't have to pressure cook beans. An overnight soak and then a simmer in tasty seasoning, followed by a baking dish to me has a superior, non mushy texture.

My favorite baked beans recipe finishes with baked thin sliced salt pork that gets crispy rendering the salty goodness into the sauce. I only make it for big parties because 1 lb of dried beans makes a stupid amount of food.

Yeah. I used the PC this time because I wanted to but I gave very successfully cooked by soaking and simmering beans.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

w4ddl3d33 posted:

you need to stop talking about cooking really good beans because i dont have a pressure cooker and i am so loving jealous you have no idea. what kind did you use? just regular white beans?

Maybe as a treat to yourself, you get yourself a pressure cooker? They're like $40 - $50 for the aluminium models:

https://www.amazon.com/Presto-8-Quart-Aluminum-Pressure-Cooker/dp/B00006ISG4

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I don't even soak my beans if they're fairly fresh. I've been working my way through a pile of stuff I ordered from Rancho Gordo and I'll have beans ready to eat in like 1-2 hours without soaking even.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I have a habit of thinking about making something with beans, buying them, coming home, finding out I already had them....

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Arkhamina posted:

I have a habit of thinking about making something with beans, buying them, coming home, finding out I already had them....

Luckily they keep for a while so...you just always have beans!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I have never managed to successfully make a bean that had either taste or texture worth the immense hassle and I'm really annoyed about that.

like I'll go to the store, buy a bag of beans, soak them overnight, chuck them in the slow cooker with water and some seasonings, and 20 hours later they'll either be a chalky, crunchy mess STILL or they'll smell and taste rancid or both.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
You need to cook them at a high temperature in enough liquid. It shouldn’t boil, just a low simmer.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

And add bacon.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

dino. posted:

Maybe as a treat to yourself, you get yourself a pressure cooker? They're like $40 - $50 for the aluminium models:

https://www.amazon.com/Presto-8-Quart-Aluminum-Pressure-Cooker/dp/B00006ISG4

i was convinced zojirushi sold pressure cookers and i was going to say a zojirushi pressure cooker has been on my list forever, but i've just looked it up and i might've just totally imagined my dream pressure cooker. sigh.

i just want something i can make congee in!!!!!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

w4ddl3d33 posted:

i was convinced zojirushi sold pressure cookers and i was going to say a zojirushi pressure cooker has been on my list forever, but i've just looked it up and i might've just totally imagined my dream pressure cooker. sigh.

My Zoji claims it can make congee and I think it's a pretty common thing that other rice cookers do too... is it just not good enough for you? I've never had congee because I've heard you want to mix some flavour into it somehow (chicken, mushroom, etc) and that it's a perfect food for when you're sick. So I want to get proper congee at a restaurant so I know what it should taste like, but whenever I'm at a place that has good congee they also have amazing other food and I want to try that instead... and so the cycle continues.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

VelociBacon posted:

My Zoji claims it can make congee and I think it's a pretty common thing that other rice cookers do too... is it just not good enough for you? I've never had congee because I've heard you want to mix some flavour into it somehow (chicken, mushroom, etc) and that it's a perfect food for when you're sick. So I want to get proper congee at a restaurant so I know what it should taste like, but whenever I'm at a place that has good congee they also have amazing other food and I want to try that instead... and so the cycle continues.
Just make congee with your Zojirushi. It'll come out "right". As far as what to add, it's not like it's a dish where there's one specific thing or amount or whatever. It's like saying you need to find a restaurant that makes proper soup before you'll try making soup. Add whatever you want, eat it, if you like it, you made proper congee.

Like a little ginger, some scallions, and a little soy is a pretty easy babby's first congee, but I mean it's your bowl of rice porridge, add whatever the gently caress you want don't sweat it.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

w4ddl3d33 posted:

I don't think you completely imagined it! One of their fanciest rice cookers can pressure-cook rice, but I'm not sure if you could use that for general-purpose pressure cooking.

I know several of their cheaper cookers can do congee, at least. Mine was like $150 and it has a setting for steel-cut oatmeal that I use all the time. I bet you could do it on most of them even without a preset.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

VelociBacon posted:

a zoji rice cooker would be delightful but i want one device for both legumes and rice.

for congee i always go simple for the base, just water, a pinch of salt, and rice, but you're free to do what you like with toppings, so long as you add white pepper because you've just gotta. normally i go for green onions, sesame seeds, fried mushrooms, and some smoked tofu, before i cut out meat substitutes i used to add vegan salami to replicate the smoky salty umami of lap cheong, it's good with leftover chicken, century eggs, furu, you can flavour the broth with a little miso, coriander is always a shout, bean sprouts, crispy fried garlic, chili oil, it's versatile as gently caress. congee doesn't have to be savoury, either - add mung beans and a little sugar for a chinese-style sweet congee, or try the indian metheachi pez, flavoured with fenugreek and jaggery. you're also not limited to just rice, other grains will work too. in the past i've used millet, i toasted the millet in a little sesame oil with some garlic and ginger to bring out the nuttiness and then cooked it to its soupy perfection in vegetable stock with a little added msg and white pepper.

when you're out and about and you see congee on the menu don't overthink it, just order. it tastes so homely and makes you feel so warm inside.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

w4ddl3d33 posted:

a zoji rice cooker would be delightful but i want one device for both legumes and rice.

That's called a pot with a lid. ;)

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I made a chickpea and tomato stew for dinner. Pour that over rice is so good.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Recipe / ingredient list please. I was making something similar with north African tastes and it wasn't quite doing it for me

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Serendipitaet posted:

You need to cook them at a high temperature in enough liquid. It shouldn’t boil, just a low simmer.

FWIW this is also a food safety thing. Some beans contain high levels of a protein called Phytohaemagglutinin. The Phytohaemagglutinin is destroyed at high temperatures (so boiling for like half an hour or something, or pressure cooking). However, if you don't get beans up to a boil you can risk eating enough of the bad protein to make yourself sick.

I've definitely had chalky beans before but IDK if I've ever had something I'd describe as rancid. And I buy the cheap Pueblo Lindo beans from Aldi all the time. Just make sure to pick out any bad beans or stones and give them a couple thorough rinses. Then discard the soak water. In my experience beans can be pretty filthy and can be covered in dirt or dust. During the soak they'll also ferment so that's why I pitch the soaking water.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Huh apparently most garlic farming in the US is run by two companies in California

One of them is acting as a middleman for Chinese garlic that’s being dumped in the us with no tariffs and driving down prices. The smaller farms complained but nothing has been done about it for years

That company is Christopher Ranch

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Happiness Commando posted:

Recipe / ingredient list please. I was making something similar with north African tastes and it wasn't quite doing it for me

https://www.seriouseats.com/vegan-garbanzos-con-espinacas-jengibre-spinach-chickpea-stew-ginger-spanish

I honestly just do variations on this recipe that I got from one of the threads here.

Last night I sauteed a shallot, half a bell pepper, some corn and 2 cloves of garlic in a mix of peanut and chili oil. The spices were my wife's homemade salt free fajita seasoning, but I don't even know everything in it. Paprika and some mild chili powder and onion and garlic powder at a minimum. And I added in some coriander. Also I omitted the spinach and fresh ginger and I sprinkled on some cotija cheese.

Most of my cooking is quick and simple, especially during the week. Something like this, or egg fried rice or some kind of 1 pot pasta.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
None of you losers have read that NYer article, have you? You should! It’s good.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
does anybody in here have a mypot by morphy richards? how is that? i'm budgeting rn and don't wanna ruin my plans to buy a house someday just cuz i bought an instant pot for white bean chili

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

eke out posted:

yeah i thought it was gonna be like how people prep donuts or whatever on little squares of parchment and just toss them in a fryer like that, which then come off very easy and you fish em out

Wait, what???

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Steve Yun posted:

Huh apparently most garlic farming in the US is run by two companies in California

One of them is acting as a middleman for Chinese garlic that’s being dumped in the us with no tariffs and driving down prices. The smaller farms complained but nothing has been done about it for years

That company is Christopher Ranch
Large grains of salt

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/garlic-from-china/
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/08/08/fact-check-china-not-putting-american-garlic-growers-out-business/3289236001/
https://www.santacruzsentinel.com/2018/01/13/gilroy-garlic-giant-christopher-ranch-disputes-netflix-series-calling-business-rotten/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
A couple corrections:

1. Christopher Ranch is the entity that was complaining about Chinese dumping practices, they’re not the Chinese exporter.

2. The USA Today fact check is mostly factually correct, but the only significant issues with the underlying, original claim are

a) the sales number shifts since it was posted (meaning from more recent numbers it may not still be the case),
b) potentially, root removal could be also done by domestic companies (idk how common that is).

Crucially, the Chinese imports were definitely having an inappropriate impact to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars- that will be why there were anti dumping duties levied on them, which is the core issue- if the ITC is applying dumping penalties, then the exporter is doing something to abuse market power, and it's going to be on a scale related to the amount of penalties applied. The fact that the duties are going unpaid is legit disturbing, but I'm not an expert on ITC activity to evaluate it in detail.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 14, 2022