Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Call signs can change, too. There's a rock station here that's been through five call signs just in the time I've been alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i don't know if it's still this way, but i had friends working at a local radio station in the early 2000s and they said it was like vanity plates, where you can pay the basic fee to get whatever they give you or pay a big extra fee to customize the last three letters.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
Liberty 2-4 is changing call signs! Liberty 2-4 is now AIR FORCE ONE!

* orchestra music swells, everyone in white house situation room goes nuts *

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
San Francisco has KFOG as a weather joke.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

aardwolf posted:

Liberty 2-4 is changing call signs! Liberty 2-4 is now AIR FORCE ONE!

* orchestra music swells, everyone in white house situation room goes nuts *

(e: I had taken this out of context to the thread/conversation and thought you'd found an insight here instead of were just making a joke, my dumb)

snip and shrug, leave the evidence

No idea what you learned but from googling the quote (being clever I guessed the movie but wanted to be sure) saw the clip, then saw a face in the situation room.

Hey, it's that guy.

Phillip Baker Hall.

He died this summer, in June. Was in a lot of good stuff. Just a character actor I guess but a good one. So I figured that out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFYK9eB8cPU

BaldDwarfOnPCP has a new favorite as of 07:56 on Sep 28, 2022

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
'Astro' means 'star or celestial body', so 'astrology' is obviously the study of stars and planets n' poo poo, etc etc

Stuff I just figured out: 'asterisk' means 'little star'

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Stellar observation, there.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Could have been a dis aster.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Somewhat relatedly, what most people think of as "constellations" are actually asterisms

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Torquemada posted:

Could have been a dis aster.

Oh poo poo

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Doing a rewatch of Farscape. I'm a goddamn idiot. The episode "Jeremiah Crichton " is obviously referencing Jeremiah Johnson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDsiHHcEbr4

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Wormwood is not a type of wood

Dang I was imagining the process of making gin mash as a lot harder than it actually is

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I uh... I just found out that a certain actress's name is not Anna Taylor-Joy, it's Anya Taylor-Joy

I feel like this is a Berenstein/Berenstain Bears situation and I've shifted timelines :psyduck:

Idk what to do with this information

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Pretty Hate Machine is two years older than Nevermind

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I uh... I just found out that a certain actress's name is not Anna Taylor-Joy, it's Anya Taylor-Joy

I feel like this is a Berenstein/Berenstain Bears situation and I've shifted timelines :psyduck:

Idk what to do with this information

Weird, I would have said the same as you. Maybe theres another famous Anna double barrel or a similar name we've got stuck in our head?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Aaron Taylor-Johnson isn’t as pretty as Anya.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
You guys know that electronic techno song "Sandstorm"?

It's a song I've heard three or four times in my entire life? I feel like it's a bit of trivia that I know what it's called, like an obscure factoid I've held on to for when an occasion comes up and I can say, 'You know, this song is called "Sandstorm."' I don't even know where I first heard it or why I know what it's called. But apparently everybody is extremely familiar with this song. Why? Looking it up on wikipedia, the song is from 1999, which is a bit newer than I thought -- though I remember vaguely hearing it while I played PS1 games, which made me think it was on a Wipeout soundtrack but it's not. Wikipedia also says:

quote:

As an April Fools' Day joke on 1 April 2015, YouTube displayed the message "Did you mean: Darude – Sandstorm by Darude" for all video search queries that involve music, in addition to adding a button which played the song during a video

Is this why?

A friend who is four years younger than me (graduating class of uhhh 2005 or 2006 I guess) said they played it during school dances. Maybe it's just a popular song :confused:

edit: I guess if I don't go to school dances, sporting events, Reddit or YouTube I put myself ten years behind the zeitgeist. Most of my life these forums have existed as my primary and often singular social outlet. I don't engage much with YouTube or Reddit at all. It's just surprising to me that Sandstorm is completely absent in some circles, but ubiquitous in others and I would have assumed that even as isolated as I can be, most of the time trending ideas and sound bytes still find their way to me but for some reason this song didn't.

credburn has a new favorite as of 23:12 on Oct 9, 2022

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Sandstorm was just incredibly popular. For example probably every sporting event with more than 100 people in attendance would play it (alongside perhaps zombie nation).

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's just very popular. My Canadian high school pumped in the gym during pep rallies in the early 00s.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

credburn posted:

It's a song I've heard three or four times in my entire life? I feel like it's a bit of trivia that I know what it's called, like an obscure factoid I've held on to for when an occasion comes up and I can say, 'You know, this song is called "Sandstorm."' I don't even know where I first heard it or why I know what it's called. But apparently everybody is extremely familiar with this song. Why? Looking it up on wikipedia, the song is from 1999, which is a bit newer than I thought -- though I remember vaguely hearing it while I played PS1 games, which made me think it was on a Wipeout soundtrack but it's not. Wikipedia also says:

Is this why?

A friend who is four years younger than me (graduating class of uhhh 2005 or 2006 I guess) said they played it during school dances. Maybe it's just a popular song :confused:

Well, it is a pretty drat popular song. The youtube april fool's thing was a reference to a pre-existing meme; for quite some time there was a huge meme that whenever someone asked "what music is in this video?" in the youtube/reddit/whatever comments, people would reply with "darude - sandstorm" regardless of what the real answer was. KYM says it started in 2013.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Scaramouche posted:

Sandstorm was just incredibly popular. For example probably every sporting event with more than 100 people in attendance would play it (alongside perhaps zombie nation).

I think Kernkraft 400 is probably THE song that people don't know the name of, e g. even the people that think they know believe it's called "zombie nation" when that's the name of the musician.

Video is pretty cool too

Pretty sure that guy still DJs around the world and makes bank off that one tune though, respect.

And yeah Sandstorm was big as hell in Europe in 99/00

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

credburn posted:

Is this why?

edit: I guess if I don't go to school dances, sporting events, Reddit or YouTube I put myself ten years behind the zeitgeist. Most of my life these forums have existed as my primary and often singular social outlet. I don't engage much with YouTube or Reddit at all. It's just surprising to me that Sandstorm is completely absent in some circles, but ubiquitous in others and I would have assumed that even as isolated as I can be, most of the time trending ideas and sound bytes still find their way to me but for some reason this song didn't.

I know exactly what you mean, but I don't know why. Like as of a few years ago, everyone suddenly had always known about Darude Sandstorm; while I didn't even know if it's the song that is called Darude or the artist or what.
I'm sure it's all a result of brain algorithms filtering out useless background info etc etc etc, but it's a really uncanny feeling. I can see why the mandelastein effect people get so unsettled.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tree Bucket posted:

mandelastein effect

It's spelled "mangosteen"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Sandstorm was big on YTMND back in 05 or 06 so it goes that far back

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

credburn posted:

Is this why?

quote:

Finnish DJ and composer
Darude is ...
Alive
Born 17 Jul 1975 in Eura
Age 47 years, 2 months

this is my mind blown moment because could have sworn he died recently

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
You're probably thinking of avici

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Milo and POTUS posted:

You're probably thinking of avici

Thank you, yes I was

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

MMA man Wanderlei Silva used Sandstorm as his entrance music

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Scaramouche posted:

And it wasn't just background music, the crowds fuckkin' went nuts over it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYTCDFjxCYI

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Sandstorm was inescapable in 2002 for me

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

this is my mind blown moment because could have sworn he died recently

He is not dead, but he did participate in the 2019 Eurovision Song Contest, which musically is the same as dying.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Failed Imagineer posted:

I think Kernkraft 400 is probably THE song that people don't know the name of, e g. even the people that think they know believe it's called "zombie nation" when that's the name of the musician.

Video is pretty cool too

Pretty sure that guy still DJs around the world and makes bank off that one tune though, respect.

And yeah Sandstorm was big as hell in Europe in 99/00

also its a cover of one of the songs for the Commodore 64 game Lazy Jones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7DyoDJCqac&t=581s
(should start at around 9:40)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Carthag Tuek posted:

also its a cover of one of the songs for the Commodore 64 game Lazy Jones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7DyoDJCqac&t=581s
(should start at around 9:40)

Yeah I went down a little rabbithole on this last night, so it's based on that C64 game tune, which in itself was probably inspired by a 1980 song called It Happened Then by a guy called Peter Baker who was essentially ripping off Kraftwerk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgf82hF3qj8

That song is reasonably similar in the chorus, but the guy seems pretty chill and on his website he's like "eh it's a few notes and we were all doing similar stuff". So either he genuinely doesn't care or he's been advised that he doesn't have the clout to succeed with an infringement case. From my POV it all lines up but there's enough difference between them

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Yeah that is pretty far off to my ears. Basically only the first bar of the chorus really fits.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'm really dumb.

The Blink 182 song "I Miss You" has what I thought were just sort of non-sensical, mildly "Whistful", lyrics:

"We can live like Jack and Sally if you want,
Where you can always find me, and we'll have Halloween on Christmas"

It's a loving reference to The Nightmare Before Christmas. Obviously.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 20:43 on Oct 11, 2022

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Wow that lyric is significantly worse for knowing that, lol.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

exquisite tea posted:

Wow that lyric is significantly worse for knowing that, lol.

Not sure what else it could mean.

This was a time when Hot Topic was basically entirely Blink182, P!ATD, and Nightmare Before Christmas merch. Might still be, actually

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

DON'TWASTE YOURTIME ONME YOU'REALREADY THE VOICE IN SIDE MY YED

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

(i miss you)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU