Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
I'm just very nervous that the whole situation will end up with the street Right in the US getting training and weapons filtering back to them from this conflict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

slurm posted:

I'm just very nervous that the whole situation will end up with the street Right in the US getting training and weapons filtering back to them from this conflict.

You mean weapons other than the copious ARs and pistols they already have?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

slurm posted:

McVeigh was that, the Oathkeepers are that, a massive percentage of your local PD are probably that as well. I mean yeah it could contribute but your fears are already realized.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
why would they go to ukraine to get training, way easier to just join one of the thousands of insane ethnonationalist militias that already exists here, plus the internet is better and no one is shooting artillery at you

Anyways

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1579191901567451138?s=20&t=k5dEZO-wFHEzii4GvAs0fQ

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Herstory Begins Now posted:

why would they go to ukraine to get training, way easier to just join one of the thousands of insane far right militias that already exists here, plus the internet is better and no one is shooting artillery at you

It's specifically the experience in an existential high-intensity modern conflict that's the dangerous part, even more than the anti-tank and anti-aircraft weapons.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

slurm posted:

It's specifically the experience in an existential high-intensity modern conflict that's the dangerous part, even more than the anti-tank and anti-aircraft weapons.

Also the creation/reinforcement of international networks.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
i'm more concerned about them joining the US military or, for that matter, police departments

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Also the creation/reinforcement of international networks.

gonna be a hard time reconciling the pro-russian american domestic far-right with anyone far-right who fought in Ukraine who presumably has some strong feelings about loudly pro-russian folks

unless you mean, like, fought on the russian side, in which case yeah we should just not let them back into the country, problem solved

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 10, 2022

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A.o.D. posted:

You mean weapons other than the copious ARs and pistols they already have?

Yeah I mean securing weapons in the United States is not exactly a Elden ring style difficult task

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008

slurm posted:

Yea those Ukrainian combined arms offensives will be happening in the US any day now...

No one in the US needs to go to Ukraine to become some "combat hardened" Rambo coming back to the US to start a civil war or some poo poo...relax, Nazi's are everywhere.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The biggest supplier of weapons to Ukraine is apparently... Russia.

https://twitter.com/DefenceHQ/status/1578262947150938113?s=20&t=cAe-rNq2KiJXAQeaQsjvjA

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

slurm posted:

This is real dumb. Please calm down.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1579260236665585666?t=rhQP3g02Dx53frUf39ZLcA&s=19

Suuuure they are Belarus

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hmph. Well, I guess here it comes.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Herstory Begins Now posted:

why would they go to ukraine to get training, way easier to just join one of the thousands of insane ethnonationalist militias that already exists here, plus the internet is better and no one is shooting artillery at you

Have you seen the "militia training" they have here?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Somehow I quoted the wrong post and the thing I was trying to say got all hosed up. Please disregard this shameful failure of a post

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 10, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

A.o.D. posted:

All of that is older than anyone who has ever posted on these forums.

Someone doesn't watch Vice.

And generally you shouldn't, but they do cover militias with some regularity, iirc.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

I don’t think that’s actually the play to make if your about to invade. Kind of important to have those links to supply the offensive.

But maybe the Belarusian militarily leaders were trained by Russian and :shrug: logistics

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

I'm of the mind that this is just what they tell russia so they don't have to do anything.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

slurm posted:

You realize that the USA recently wound down a 20 year military conflict that pulled most of its service people from rural poverty right? There are tons of white nationalists and bigots in the US military!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Hmph. Well, I guess here it comes.

Didn't Russia move a bunch of troops into Belarus recently? like past few weeks? I've been assuming their job was going to be the same as the job of the chechens in the rest of the Russian military.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Didn't Russia move a bunch of troops into Belarus recently? like past few weeks? I've been assuming their job was going to be the same as the job of the chechens in the rest of the Russian military.

Apparently somewhere around 20k, but given the state of mobilization so far, who knows what role they have or what ability they would have to execute it.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Lukashenko is obviously acting out for attention, but a victorious Ukraine going on to liberate Belarus would be cool and good, actually.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Grip it and rip it posted:

You realize that the USA recently wound down a 20 year military conflict that pulled most of its service people from rural poverty right?

The data don't back this up at all. Most people in the US military grew up in middle-class families, with the highest concentration of recruits coming from states on the coasts.

https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/demographics-us-military

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

ah yes. they destroyed all of the ways to invade so they will deffo invade

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

You realize that the USA recently wound down a 20 year military conflict that pulled most of its service people from rural poverty right?

This has not been the case for over 40 years and even when it was a thing it was exaggerated in scope

quote:

There are tons of white nationalists and bigots in the US military!

Also exaggerated in scope, but sadly true

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

psydude posted:

The data don't back this up at all. Most people in the US military grew up in middle-class families, with the highest concentration of recruits coming from states on the coasts.

https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/demographics-us-military

The site you linked shows that a disproportionate number of people come from the bible belt / south / Midwest.

GD_American posted:

Also exaggerated in scope, but sadly true

I met more than I would've liked in the Navy, but I was on a base in Florida so who knows :shrug:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The site you linked shows that a disproportionate number of people come from the bible belt / south / Midwest.

I met more than I would've liked in the Navy, but I was on a base in Florida so who knows :shrug:

Since when are New York and California part of the bible belt or Midwest.

e: Oh you're looking at the ratio of recruits to population. I'd argue that doesn't matter in this context, since we're discussing the composition of the military, and therefore raw numbers matter more than whether 5 people is a bigger proportion of the population of Wyoming California.

psydude fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 10, 2022

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

psydude posted:

Also apparently there are no middle class people in the bible belt/south/midwest.

JUST A BUNCHA US ILLITERATE COUSIN FUCKIN CLANSMEN ROUND THESE HERE PARTS

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
hol' on, maybe I can type better with my false teeth in.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

psydude posted:

e: Oh you're looking at the ratio of recruits to population. I'd argue that doesn't matter in this context, since we're discussing the composition of the military, and therefore raw numbers matter more than whether 5 people is a bigger proportion of the population of Wyoming California.

They aren't? The next map down shows that Florida/Georgia/LA etc are all overrepresented while the NE and California are either underrepresented or are represented consistent with the level of population.

A.o.D. posted:

hol' on, maybe I can type better with my false teeth in.

I can't argue with the income quintiles, though I would like to see where the distribution of those individuals live with respect to rural or urban communities. 60k for a household won't support much in NYC or LA or a couple other high cost of living cities in this country. I would expect that there are a disproportionate number of city folks that make up that top quintile of 85K+

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 10, 2022

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

See my edit. If we're talking about the composition of the military, then the raw numbers are all that matters. Whether or not a state contributes a higher percentage of its population relative to another doesn't matter, because a state like California or New York could contribute the entire population of Wyoming and still barely put a dent in their total available military manpower. It's also secondary to your point that the military is nothing but poor rural people, because it isn't.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
3/5s of the military appear to come from households that earn less than 66k a year. Poverty may have been overstating it but it's certainly not made up of individuals from affluent families. That's not even to say that these individuals were earning that much - only that they resided in neighborhoods where that was the median income threshold.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 10, 2022

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

3/5s of the military appear to come from households that earn less than 60k a year. Poverty may have been overstating it but it's certainly not made up of individuals from affluent families.

So then it's fair to say of that most of the people in the military appear to come from fairly typical economic backgrounds and a variety of locations. Which kind of goes against the myth that it's nothing but poor rural folks.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

psydude posted:

So then it's far to say of that most of the people in the military appear to come from fairly typical economic backgrounds and a variety of locations. Which kind of goes against the myth that it's nothing but poor rural folks.

I never said they all came from one background in the first place?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

3/5s of the military appear to come from households that earn less than 66k a year. Poverty may have been overstating it but it's certainly not made up of individuals from affluent families.

but that means 2/5ths are from households that earn 66k or more. I couldn't quickly find a 1/1 breakdown for US households, but the closest I could come is 25% make more than 75k. That seems that the ratios are not far off from each other. Are you sure that you're effectively making your point?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I'm of the mind that this is just what they tell russia so they don't have to do anything.

Belarus has been making confusing, vaguely escalatory proclamations like this for the duration of the conflict without ever getting around to doing anything. At this point, I will worry about them taking action when Senior Defense Official tells me to.

I think I agree that this is some kind of internal game they're playing with Russia and doesn't care about making sense to an outside observer looking at the facts on the ground.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

A.o.D. posted:

but that means 2/5ths are from households that earn 66k or more. I couldn't quickly find a 1/1 breakdown for US households, but the closest I could come is 25% make more than 75k. That seems that the ratios are not far off from each other. Are you sure that you're effectively making your point?

Median income for 2020 was 67k, so the majority of individuals serving in the military came from households that earned below average wages, with the south and midwest and biblebelt being overrepresented relative to either coasts.

It doesn't roll of the tongue quite as effectively as claiming that the military is made up entirely of rural crackers, but I guess it is more accurate with respect to demographics. The point I was trying to make with my original post was that there are quite a lot of well trained violent individuals with bad politics in the USA without heading to Ukraine. You are the ones that took my statement literally. :bahgawd:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Median income for 2020 was 67k, so the majority of individuals serving in the military came from households that earned below average wages, with the south and midwest and biblebelt being overrepresented relative to either coasts.

It doesn't roll of the tongue quite as effectively as claiming that the military is made up entirely of rural crackers, but I guess it is more accurate with respect to demographics. The point I was trying to make with my original post was that there are quite a lot of well trained violent individuals with bad politics in the USA without heading to Ukraine. You are the ones that took my statement literally. :bahgawd:

If you're wanting to make statements about demographics and statistics, how else are you to be taken other than literally?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

I never said they all came from one background in the first place?

You’re trying to claim the the US raided poor rural folk to kill off for its dumb illegal war. Provide data that supports it or stop making the claim. The poor part has been refuted completely already.

FYI, they have large cities in the south (I enlisted out of one) so just waving your hand at Florida, Georgia and Louisiana and saying “rural” doesn’t actually support your claim. Show rural vs urban recruiting or just stop.

Demographics wise the US military looks a lot like the US. Except maybe the % of Indigenous Americans that enlist in the Marines for some reason.

Edit: this is twice in a couple of weeks this has come up. Did fox run a segment trying to convince the aggrieved white rural right that they are being abused by the military or something?

Murgos fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

That would be bizarre for Ukraine to open a new front when they are making major progress elsewhere.