Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

canyoneer posted:

This chess fight story also does not include abusers or sex pests, so that's nice!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_stair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
https://twitter.com/qualthis/status/1577753879013429267

She apparently deleted the comment from the photographer after this screenshot was taken.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WxqughaJQM

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

She apparently deleted the comment from the photographer after this screenshot was taken.

Satine allowed all comments and the results are what you'd expect.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kurieg posted:

It's actually worse than that:

https://twitter.com/dtrpgs/status/1578081535806283777

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
legit cult leader gas lighting tactic there, goddamn

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

This is basically her whole gimmick

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
It's always depressing and horrifying to watch someone get away with poo poo for no better reason than because they're pretty, and people want to hang out with them.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

She's also popular, so there's some potential for wholesome toadying.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Libertad! posted:

https://www.studlystone.com/

I dunno if it regularly updates, but this site is a great resource covering Phoenix and Stone's unethical behavior using direct sources from those who worked with them.

Thank you. Part of the reason a lot of people in the industry get away with abhorrent poo poo without public pushback is that unless you're heavily invested it's hard to track. Even harder to show receipts to spread awareness.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

PJOmega posted:

Thank you. Part of the reason a lot of people in the industry get away with abhorrent poo poo without public pushback is that unless you're heavily invested it's hard to track. Even harder to show receipts to spread awareness.

Indeed, it's an experience I'm all too familiar with. So it always gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling to use my weaponized autism for good! I'm autistic, I can make that joke

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

PJOmega posted:

So far, and it's no guarantee of larger trends, Satine seems to have been pretty effectively chased off twitter for the time being, as every time she's tried posting there her replies have been flooded with receipts. That's why she's sticking to Instagram for all these "I'm moisturized and flourishing" type posts. I'm as skeptical as anyone about the industry's long term memory, but at least it hasn't immediately been memory-holed.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

So far, and it's no guarantee of larger trends, Satine seems to have been pretty effectively chased off twitter for the time being, as every time she's tried posting there her replies have been flooded with receipts. That's why she's sticking to Instagram for all these "I'm moisturized and flourishing" type posts. I'm as skeptical as anyone about the industry's long term memory, but at least it hasn't immediately been memory-holed.

We managed to run Mearls off Twitter, too.

Not that it ever meant much. :negative:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tsilkani posted:

Mearls at least had, and has, the backing of a billion dollar corporation to sweep him under the rug. Satine and Jamison aren't really in WotC's league, and for all their e-celebrity it remains to be seen how well they're going to be able to, say, do another big kickstarter after this with a reputation for both being abusing lovely sex-harassers and also not actually paying their writers.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I don't think they will, unless Kickstarter lets them shut down the comments.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
My guess is if they try and get involved in projects it's going to end up going the same route that Luke Crane took trying to sneak Adam Koebel into his last KS disaster, just slipping them in through the side entrance and hoping nobody notices.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Which doesn't really work, since her job is being pretty and he's one of those professionally shirtless guys.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Halloween Jack posted:

Which doesn't really work, since her job is being pretty and he's one of those professionally shirtless guys.

It SORT of worked with the Avatar Kickstarter which brought her on as to participate in some stretch goal "watch a streamed game with some of the Avatar voice actors" capacity, which is what I was thinking of in terms of her getting snuck into an otherwise unrelated project for no reason I can see, it's not like the people backing the Avatar RPG were exactly clamoring for a guest appearance by a D&D e-celeb. This was before the most recent controversies broke, admittedly, and also Magpie Games has never been a stranger to going to bat for lovely people, so I guess we'll see if anyone else decides to give it a shot going forward.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Kai Tave posted:

It SORT of worked with the Avatar Kickstarter which brought her on as to participate in some stretch goal "watch a streamed game with some of the Avatar voice actors" capacity, which is what I was thinking of in terms of her getting snuck into an otherwise unrelated project for no reason I can see, it's not like the people backing the Avatar RPG were exactly clamoring for a guest appearance by a D&D e-celeb. This was before the most recent controversies broke, admittedly, and also Magpie Games has never been a stranger to going to bat for lovely people, so I guess we'll see if anyone else decides to give it a shot going forward.

They did end up dropping her from the event for unspecified but obvious reasons, at least.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

theironjef posted:

They did end up dropping her from the event for unspecified but obvious reasons, at least.

It did feel telling that Magpie didn't even want to go for that quick hit of good PR and kick her sooner but maybe there were contracts involved or something, I guess.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I'm guessing they did literally the exact bare minimum because they could still be facing down a wave of pledge cancellations from chuddy backers. Also they were poo poo enough to hire her in the first place so yeah.

For the record I canceled my pledge to that when she was announced in the first place, well before anything went down in public. I just don't like when the high end goals are "We'll handle the hard work of funneling your money to the industry's stickiest e-boogers so you don't have to!"

theironjef fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 10, 2022

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Tsilkani posted:

He's not part of D&D anymore.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Yusin posted:

He's not part of D&D anymore.

What did he quietly get shuffled to now? Last I heard he was still a vestigal "The D&D guy on the New Balder's Gate, making sure it's sufficiently D&D" or whatever makework position they made for a guy who doesn't code and has never worked on a videogame.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Coolness Averted posted:

What did he quietly get shuffled to now? Last I heard he was still a vestigal "The D&D guy on the New Balder's Gate, making sure it's sufficiently D&D" or whatever makework position they made for a guy who doesn't code and has never worked on a videogame.

I think he's been on MTG for a while, which is, as I understand it, a promotion.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

King of Solomon posted:

I think he's been on MTG for a while, which is, as I understand it, a promotion.

Looking forward to finding out how he manages to shoehorn caster supremacy into that one

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Whybird posted:

Looking forward to finding out how he manages to shoehorn caster supremacy into that one

I mean, have you played Magic?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
yeah the frame narrative for a game of MTG is literally "you're two godlike wizards duking it out by proxy"

e: to say nothing of the decades of blue being the color of smart and therefore getting like 90% of the card draw and the lion's share of deck manipulation period in the game

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 10, 2022

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Whybird posted:

Nah, the unique Mearls touch he'll bring is "Counters should be 2 cost. That's just iconic!"
And
"blegh, these concise rules and keywords make this game feel like WoW. Let's stop printing the flavor text in italics and mix it with the card's rules."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Coolness Averted posted:

Nah, the unique Mearls touch he'll bring is "Counters should be 2 cost. That's just iconic!"
And
"blegh, these concise rules and keywords make this game feel like WoW. Let's stop printing the flavor text in italics and mix it with the card's rules."

they unbanned counterspell in modern awhile ago

and they already mixed the flavour in as ability words with the D&D set

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
counters should cost 1 life and discard a blue card

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

counters should cost 1 life and discard a blue card

*exile

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Tumblr is full of folks who think the leak is real, I get folks are hungry for more but like come on.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

her job is being pretty and he's one of those professionally shirtless guys.

as opposed to the other way around

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Coolness Averted posted:

And

It's too ugly to have rules on the cards themselves, if we hold them all alphabetically in a rulebook we can devote the entirety of the card to flavor text.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

How does this card work? Ask your judge!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't want to belabor the point too much but it's really bewildering to think of people mobilizing all the usual defenses of 5e in the context of MTG, or even most other boardgames*. It's fine! Just houserule it!

* perhaps one of the most infamous examples of this is people loving with Monopoly and it just makes the game qualitatively worse!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gradenko_2000 posted:

* perhaps one of the most infamous examples of this is people loving with Monopoly and it just makes the game qualitatively worse!
To be fair that's like complaining about pissing on a turd.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't want to belabor the point too much but it's really bewildering to think of people mobilizing all the usual defenses of 5e in the context of MTG, or even most other boardgames*. It's fine! Just houserule it!

The difference is that MtG is competitive, not collaborative. Any rules ambiguity is inevitably going to result in a spectacular shitfest.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Even in terms of boardgames, coop games can get away with a lot of poo poo (like extreme post-decision randomness) that would create negative experiences in a competitive setting. One example in a game that overlaps with MtG is Hearthstone: I really enjoy someone of the solo game modes, but I have never played an actual competitive game of Hearthstone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

gradenko_2000 posted:

I saw an interview decades ago with Stephen Hawking's sister, who recalled how he, as a child, houseruled Monopoly into an unplayable monstrosity. Just think of the game design mind we could have had if reading physics textbooks hadn't been more interesting than playing 1950s board games.