Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

101 posted:

Honestly I'm always fascinated how corps come to certain decisions so :justpost: if you want to

There’s a whole lot of incompetence and greed involved usually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

101 posted:

Honestly I'm always fascinated how corps come to certain decisions so :justpost: if you want to

OP is mentioning intune which until very recently had a sorta mediocre MacOS support(plus unless you use ADE/ABM you cannot do zerotouch deploys). We just deployed our first M1 macs and being finally able to zerotouch them(since we can't purchase direct from apple and our usual suppliers cannot do the proper ABM registration) makes it finally usable. I'm expecting similar feelings if they want to jump away.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I would’ve got an air myself except that you can’t get them with 4 speakers. I was so impressed with the sound quality of the 4 speakers in my last iPad I just could not go back. The 11” is the perfect size/weight for couch content consumption.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Lordshmee posted:

I would’ve got an air myself except that you can’t get them with 4 speakers. I was so impressed with the sound quality of the 4 speakers in my last iPad I just could not go back. The 11” is the perfect size/weight for couch content consumption.

My friend The General can't say enough good things about the quad speakers in his 12x/12z Pro. He uses it for media all the time.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Yeah if you wanna justify the exorbitant expense of a great big ipad, the speakers in the pro make it a decent portable audio setup. It's replaced any need for a bluetooth speaker in most use cases for me.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
I'm debating picking up a base iPad soon - I'm just not sure if I should hold out for the rumored 10th gen coming any day now, or go ahead and pick up the 9th gen (at least when it's on sale for $280-ish). Normally the choice would obviously be to just wait for the 10th gen, but the catch here is I already own the 10.5" Smart Cover and Smart Keyboard (from when I owned a 10.5" Pro a couple years ago, before I traded it in).

Do you all think the rumored changes in the 10th gen base iPad are worth buying all new accessories over? I'd want a keyboard cover at minimum so that's an extra $150-ish off the bat.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Space Racist posted:

I'm debating picking up a base iPad soon - I'm just not sure if I should hold out for the rumored 10th gen coming any day now, or go ahead and pick up the 9th gen (at least when it's on sale for $280-ish). Normally the choice would obviously be to just wait for the 10th gen, but the catch here is I already own the 10.5" Smart Cover and Smart Keyboard (from when I owned a 10.5" Pro a couple years ago, before I traded it in).

Do you all think the rumored changes in the 10th gen base iPad are worth buying all new accessories over? I'd want a keyboard cover at minimum so that's an extra $150-ish off the bat.

The iPad event is this month, maybe just wait

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Space Racist posted:

If the 10.5" accessories fit the 10.2" iPad, then I wouldn't bother waiting. You're only getting a modest SoC upgrade, an extra gig of ram, usb-c (arguably the only change that matters), a higher base price (rumored, but likely), and some external changes, but I haven't seen my 3gb iPad 9 have noticable ram issues compared to my iPhone 11 with 4gb.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Soul Glo posted:

The iPad event is this month, maybe just wait
Rumor mill suggests no event, just a spec bump announced via press release or something.

Still, something new is coming this month.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Yeah they'll probs just chuck an M2 chip in the pros and whatever the next bionic step up is in the base ipads. Doubt there'll be any kind of radical redesign, especially without an event to go with it. Rumours before were that the fancy displays in the fanciest of pros are going to make their way to the 11 inch iPad pros (and maybe a glass back for wireless charging which honestly sounds terrible) but we'll see.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I bought my 4 year old a Fire HD Kids tablet back during the last prime day because they were half off and I figured I’d root it and set it up as a simple little thing he can use sparingly. Well I hate the thing. Even rooted, some of Amazon’s crap is still there advertising to my kid (I get that’s the business model, I just find it gross).

What’s the usual suggestion for an iPad with a similar use case? Refurbs are expensive, though I’m guessing that’s that best option outside of eBay/FB marketplace.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

canyonero posted:

I bought my 4 year old a Fire HD Kids tablet back during the last prime day because they were half off and I figured I’d root it and set it up as a simple little thing he can use sparingly. Well I hate the thing. Even rooted, some of Amazon’s crap is still there advertising to my kid (I get that’s the business model, I just find it gross).

What’s the usual suggestion for an iPad with a similar use case? Refurbs are expensive, though I’m guessing that’s that best option outside of eBay/FB marketplace.

Just make sure the iPad has at least 64gb storage and 3gb ram, and whatever you find should be fine for grade/high school.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Fire tablets are dirt cheap for the reasons you mentioned, so getting an iPad for the kids for ~$100 isn't really gonna happen. You can find current and 1-2 gen old iPads in the $200-$300 range that are gonna last you 3x as long though and be a much better experience. They also hold their value pretty well so if you wanna sell it in 3 years you'll get 50% back and it makes the upgrade much easier.

I'd say look at the 7th gen or newer with at least 64gb or higher memory. MicroCenter has the current gen 64gb models for $280

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Also, check swappa.com for some iPads. Usually you can get quite decent deals!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Used iPads are so expensive that they're a bad value, the right play is getting a brand new base base ipad on sale and then using it for 8 years.

I still have an ipad air 2 kicking around that's doing ok, let alone the 4.5 year old ipad 6 that I got for $250 that still feels basically new.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The base $329 iPad is the best value in all of computing.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

FCKGW posted:

The base $329 iPad is the best value in all of computing.

Cheaper than an iPhone 11 and over three times as big!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
If you can wait a few week to see if a 10th gen iPad drops, I'd do that. Right now you can get the current gen iPad for $309 through the shop for college link. Assuming there's no price increase the 10th gen would be the same price.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Mister Facetious posted:

Yeah, i really don't see the point of it without external monitor support

Having played with it a bit this summer in various forms this looks like the real use for Stage Manager, since even when it works the amount of wasted space and limited resizing options is amazingly clunky even with the screen real estate on a 12.9. One of these years we'll get decent iPad multitasking, but not this one.

Oh, and they've removed external display support till further notice, so enjoy.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Does iCloud back up all the files saved directly to the iPad?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

A Strange Aeon posted:

Does iCloud back up all the files saved directly to the iPad?

If you're referring specifically to the iCloud backup function, yes it should

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013
Found a deal this morning for 2021 iPad Pro 11in, for $600 from Walmart. All sold out now, so fortunately I was able to grab it quickly.

This will be my first iPad so hoping I like it. Also haven’t seen the sizes in person so hopefully the 11in inch a good size for me.

Any recommendations for apps or setting that people think are worthwhile once I get the device?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Get a pencil and Procreate.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Hackjack posted:

Found a deal this morning for 2021 iPad Pro 11in, for $600 from Walmart. All sold out now, so fortunately I was able to grab it quickly.

This will be my first iPad so hoping I like it. Also haven’t seen the sizes in person so hopefully the 11in inch a good size for me.

Any recommendations for apps or setting that people think are worthwhile once I get the device?

If you're using it for work, focus modes are useful. When mine notices I'm in the office, it switches the homescreen from all my app icons to widgets for my calendar, email and to-do list.

If you've got a keyboard that can plug in via USB-c, give typing on it a go. If you find it comfortable or useful, look into getting a bluetooth keyboard. The official Apple magic keyboard case is really nice looking, but also one of the most exorbitantly expensive things they sell. There are much better value options out there.

Some apps work better in the web browser, including most Google Drive apps, and Reddit. Keep the apps uninstalled to stop your browser redirecting to them, and you can use the web versions.

If you have any bluetooth video game controllers around, and you're into that kind of thing, they'll work pretty painlessly with it.

The LIDAR sensor is fun. There are apps that utilize it which my partner uses, where she can see how tattoos will look on her before she gets them.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Best Buy has iPads on sale

iPad $269
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-10-2-inch-ipad-latest-model-with-wi-fi-64gb-space-gray/4901809.p?skuId=4901809

iPad Mini $399
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-ipad-mini-latest-model-with-wi-fi-64gb-purple/4901905.p?skuId=4901905

iPad Air $519
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-10-9-inch-ipad-air-latest-model-5th-generation-with-wi-fi-64gb-space-gray/4906404.p?skuId=4906404

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Worth noting that we're likely within a month of the 10th gen iPad announcement, which is likely to redo the base iPad form factor to something closer to the Air without a big price hike, right?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

Worth noting that we're likely within a month of the 10th gen iPad announcement, which is likely to redo the base iPad form factor to something closer to the Air without a big price hike, right?

10th gen iPad? Probably. New form factor? Who knows.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Rumors seem to be we’ll get a refresh, possibly just shoving a m2 in the current pros, but no redesign this year. Also an October event seems unlikely so they will probably just show up with a press release in the next 1-2 months.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The only redesign iPads need is on the OS side of things. Please stop being stupid about iPad OS, Apple

(They wont)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The only redesign iPads need is on the OS side of things. Please stop being stupid about iPad OS, Apple

(They wont)

Just make it the touch version of macos to shut up all those crybabies that say the MacBooks need a touchscreen. :getin:

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
Not upgrading my 11 inch 2018 iPad Pro until it gets the mini-LED screen, come on Apple I want a new one

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Flyndre posted:

Not upgrading my 11 inch 2018 iPad Pro until it gets the mini-LED screen, come on Apple I want a new one

It''s gonna be OLED most likely in a year or two once Apple figures out the structural integrity bits. https://www.thelec.net/news/articleView.html?idxno=4188

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Bought the 64gb Air during the Amazon sale and I’m liking this a lot. I was torn between this and the stock M1 Macbook for a couch computer. It’s so comfy and really cool that it’s dockable. Anyways I bought a cheap rear end ten dollar case for it but I saw Amazon sells refurbished Magic Keyboard cases for $175. Might give it a go, does anyone have it and how’s the experience with it?

My only gripe is that I wish I could plug in my capture card into this guy. Would be convenient since I like to record gameplay from my Switch occasionally.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

How often do you think you'll actually use the keyboard if you get it? Where will you be when you're using the keyboard?

Personally, I find that all of my keyboard needs are handled by a ~$15 bluetooth keyboard that I just keep in my backpack.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Is the air keyboard as heavy as the pro? I find that to be the worst laptop setup tbh

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Social Animal posted:

Bought the 64gb Air during the Amazon sale and I’m liking this a lot. I was torn between this and the stock M1 Macbook for a couch computer. It’s so comfy and really cool that it’s dockable. Anyways I bought a cheap rear end ten dollar case for it but I saw Amazon sells refurbished Magic Keyboard cases for $175. Might give it a go, does anyone have it and how’s the experience with it?

My only gripe is that I wish I could plug in my capture card into this guy. Would be convenient since I like to record gameplay from my Switch occasionally.

I have an M1 air with the magic keyboard and I like it a lot. My girlfriend used it as her work laptop while we were on vacation for 2 and a half weeks and it worked fine replacing her actual laptop for that time. It's easy to get in and out of the keyboard when i don't want it in there and you can charge it through the keyboard which is nice. Obviously depends on your usage, but I think it is a good buy.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

anothergod posted:

Is the air keyboard as heavy as the pro? I find that to be the worst laptop setup tbh

1.6 lbs if Amazon is to be believed, I've only ever used/seen the 12.9 inch Magic Keyboard and it is a chonky boy that does in fact make your iPad weigh more than some Macbooks. I bought one in a Best Buy sale thanks to this thread and it's very nice, but very niche. If you're going to be doing a fair amount of typing sitting at a desk or table there's nothing better in my experience, but it's hefty and you're better off with a case/folio and a cheap bt mouse-keyboard if you're only writing the occasional emails as the iPad travels around the home. After a year of use I'll say one thing that does ruin the "magic" of the keyboard, not all apps are mouse friendly. You really do forget about the "pad" aspects using it and when you run into an app that doesn't play nice (Hello YouTube TV) you will find yourself messing with keyboard combinations and clicking things for a minute or so until you remember you can touch the drat thing.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Khizan posted:

How often do you think you'll actually use the keyboard if you get it? Where will you be when you're using the keyboard?

It's really sad that gboard is just as inaccurate for swiping on an iPad as it is on the iPhone, despite having virtual buttons that are six times bigger.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Khizan posted:

Personally, I find that all of my keyboard needs are handled by a ~$15 bluetooth keyboard that I just keep in my backpack.

I’d probably use it occasionally on the couch and out and about I imagine. I think the biggest thing I would like is the magnetic hold making it easier to remove/put on cause using the device naked is comfy but I don’t want to store it that way. I figure if the Apple folio is like $70 I might as well spend more and try the refurbished keyboard case.

Burden posted:

I have an M1 air with the magic keyboard and I like it a lot. My girlfriend used it as her work laptop while we were on vacation for 2 and a half weeks and it worked fine replacing her actual laptop for that time. It's easy to get in and out of the keyboard when i don't want it in there and you can charge it through the keyboard which is nice. Obviously depends on your usage, but I think it is a good buy.

That’s good to hear thanks. I have a PC at home but yeah it would be nice to have something portable too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Social Animal posted:

I’d probably use it occasionally on the couch and out and about I imagine. I think the biggest thing I would like is the magnetic hold making it easier to remove/put on cause using the device naked is comfy but I don’t want to store it that way. I figure if the Apple folio is like $70 I might as well spend more and try the refurbished keyboard case.

That’s good to hear thanks. I have a PC at home but yeah it would be nice to have something portable too.

The magic keyboard folio is not couch friendly. It’s got a little bit of adjustment but it is definitely designed to be something you use on a solid surface you’re sitting next to like a desk or table.