Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Loan Dusty Road posted:

YMMV - 10% back on gas with Chase Amazon Visa in Q4. Promo applied for me.

https://slickdeals.net/f/16066078-s...ntpage_recombee

The best part about this is that large service stations like Sheetz or Wawa have a ton of gift cards, so you can stock up on GCs.

Do gas stations have an online store curious if I can just order some GC from wawa.com or something.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Super-NintendoUser posted:

The best part about this is that large service stations like Sheetz or Wawa have a ton of gift cards, so you can stock up on GCs.

Do gas stations have an online store curious if I can just order some GC from wawa.com or something.

That's funny. Could go buy amazon GCs at the gas station to get 10% instead of 5%.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Loan Dusty Road posted:

YMMV - 10% back on gas with Chase Amazon Visa in Q4. Promo applied for me.

https://slickdeals.net/f/16066078-s...ntpage_recombee

Thanks for sharing this! Chase probably let me in as a bribe to get stagnant accounts active again, and my Chase Amazon card is in ancient status.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

With the holidays coming up and some travel being possible again, I'm looking to see what I could be doing better cardwise, so this is a bit of an effortpost.

My daily driver is the Citi Double Cash. Been great for years, no problems, good cash back, but I've had an Alliant checking and savings acct for over a decade. I've been hesitant to switch to the 2.5% Signature because it requires the $1000 average in your checking for that rate, and I'm bad at the math to tell me how good I am at hitting that (I pretty aggressively put money into savings now, so, for example, given when my bills come due, I was under $1000 for 12/30 days in September, but I was well above $1000 for most of those 18). Should I just do it? Is there an easy way to do the math to be sure?

I have a bunch of other cards I don't use very much but try to use often enough to keep them active: the Amex Cash Magnet and BCE and the Capital One Quicksilver are probably the standouts here. No cards with an annual fee. I got burned here, though; two cards closed in the last two years because I forgot to use them and didn't have a recurring expense on them. Suggestions for good set-and-forget for these?

I have nothing that does me any particular good when traveling, and I frankly don't know much about those cards; even when I read about them, the info mushes together in my head. A friend who does know a lot thinks I should just get an Amex Platinum and not be set, but even accounting for the signup bonus, that's a steep as hell AF when I just don't travel that often. We have one trip to Canada planned in the next few months, and we're going to a wedding in NV next year, but nothing solid beyond that. I like Amex, their customer service is wonderful, but that's still a lot of dang loving money on a card that's really only great for travel as far as I can tell, and with points that I don't think transfer to the Amex cards I have. (I considered the Amex Gold for food purposes, but I'm unsure about the fee there, too, and it doesn't really help the travel.)

As far as I can tell, I could just keep doing what I'm doing and be fine, but at this point I'm interested in what I could be doing better. FICO is generally in the 820s and I've opened one card in the past two years, so my options should be open.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

disaster pastor posted:

With the holidays coming up and some travel being possible again, I'm looking to see what I could be doing better cardwise, so this is a bit of an effortpost.

My daily driver is the Citi Double Cash. Been great for years, no problems, good cash back, but I've had an Alliant checking and savings acct for over a decade. I've been hesitant to switch to the 2.5% Signature because it requires the $1000 average in your checking for that rate, and I'm bad at the math to tell me how good I am at hitting that (I pretty aggressively put money into savings now, so, for example, given when my bills come due, I was under $1000 for 12/30 days in September, but I was well above $1000 for most of those 18). Should I just do it? Is there an easy way to do the math to be sure?

I have a bunch of other cards I don't use very much but try to use often enough to keep them active: the Amex Cash Magnet and BCE and the Capital One Quicksilver are probably the standouts here. No cards with an annual fee. I got burned here, though; two cards closed in the last two years because I forgot to use them and didn't have a recurring expense on them. Suggestions for good set-and-forget for these?

I have nothing that does me any particular good when traveling, and I frankly don't know much about those cards; even when I read about them, the info mushes together in my head. A friend who does know a lot thinks I should just get an Amex Platinum and not be set, but even accounting for the signup bonus, that's a steep as hell AF when I just don't travel that often. We have one trip to Canada planned in the next few months, and we're going to a wedding in NV next year, but nothing solid beyond that. I like Amex, their customer service is wonderful, but that's still a lot of dang loving money on a card that's really only great for travel as far as I can tell, and with points that I don't think transfer to the Amex cards I have. (I considered the Amex Gold for food purposes, but I'm unsure about the fee there, too, and it doesn't really help the travel.)

As far as I can tell, I could just keep doing what I'm doing and be fine, but at this point I'm interested in what I could be doing better. FICO is generally in the 820s and I've opened one card in the past two years, so my options should be open.

Keeping $1000 in checking instead of savings at current rates costs you $17.50 a year. The extra 0.5% cashback of the Alliant Visa will make up that difference with $3500 of spending.
That's a worse case scenario kind of situation though, you already keep some money in the checking account.
I personally just at the start of every month make sure I have 2 months of expenses in my checking account, being stressed over if an unusually big credit card bill will overdraft isn't worth min/maxxing to get the extra savings APY.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

disaster pastor posted:

Citi premier has an 80k points = 800$ cash back if you hit the spending requirement right now (4,000 on card) and it’s 3x points on travel (air + hotel)

You can link your thank you points to your double cash to get cash back instead of banking points.

1 year from now when the second annual fee posts then call them and product change to custom cash which has no AF.

The Alliant bank account will tell you your avg balance if you look. The card is still 1.5% cash back if you miss the deposit target for a month.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Oh hey, Delta is increasing elite qualification requirements.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Chase Ultimate Rewards points multipliers kind of suck across airlines. 1.1x, 1.2x... seems like UR points are most useful for their 2.8x value multiplier when transferred to Hyatt hotels. Everything else, you may as well redeem for cash and take the 1.25x from the Sapphire Preferred / 1.5x from the Reserve.

The Chase trifecta's value still exceeds a flat 2% card's value for my level of spend, but the popular pitch of "the points will transfer to partners for double value!" is really a Hyatt pitch. Valuable, but not quite the broad advantage I imagined.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Thanks, all!

THF13 posted:

Keeping $1000 in checking instead of savings at current rates costs you $17.50 a year. The extra 0.5% cashback of the Alliant Visa will make up that difference with $3500 of spending.
That's a worse case scenario kind of situation though, you already keep some money in the checking account.
I personally just at the start of every month make sure I have 2 months of expenses in my checking account, being stressed over if an unusually big credit card bill will overdraft isn't worth min/maxxing to get the extra savings APY.

This is valid and I'd probably start just keeping extra in checking if I was worried.

pseudanonymous posted:

Citi premier has an 80k points = 800$ cash back if you hit the spending requirement right now (4,000 on card) and it’s 3x points on travel (air + hotel)

You can link your thank you points to your double cash to get cash back instead of banking points.

1 year from now when the second annual fee posts then call them and product change to custom cash which has no AF.

This is tempting, I hadn't even looked at the Premier. You'd recommend it over the Gold (4× on restaurants/groceries+3× on air, 100k points vs. 3× on restaurants/groceries/air/hotel/gas, 80k points) for the flexibility around the Citi cards?

pseudanonymous posted:

The Alliant bank account will tell you your avg balance if you look.

This is great to know, but... do you happen to know where? :shobon:

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

disaster pastor posted:

This is great to know, but... do you happen to know where? :shobon:

When it posts the dividend at the end of the month, it tells you "based on average daily balance of x".

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

saintonan posted:

When it posts the dividend at the end of the month, it tells you "based on average daily balance of x".

Oh, fantastic, thank you! A quick search tells me I've only had an average daily balance under $1300 twice in two years (and still well above $1000) so I should be fine if I go ahead.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Space Fish posted:

Chase Ultimate Rewards points multipliers kind of suck across airlines. 1.1x, 1.2x... seems like UR points are most useful for their 2.8x value multiplier when transferred to Hyatt hotels. Everything else, you may as well redeem for cash and take the 1.25x from the Sapphire Preferred / 1.5x from the Reserve.

The Chase trifecta's value still exceeds a flat 2% card's value for my level of spend, but the popular pitch of "the points will transfer to partners for double value!" is really a Hyatt pitch. Valuable, but not quite the broad advantage I imagined.

The value on miles is with fixed price award charts that are better value than tickets at cash equivalent prices. Though you can still get value on those with transfer bonuses.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Space Fish posted:

What's this now? 2.8x multiplier for hyatt transfers? How does that work?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Residency Evil posted:

What's this now? 2.8x multiplier for hyatt transfers? How does that work?
Sorry for the delay, had to dig through my history and find an example... though this one leads to 3.72 cents per point:

"The Points Guy posted:

For example, let's say you wanted to visit Tampa, FL next year, and you're eyeing the Hyatt House near downtown. For a three-night stay over Easter weekend, you'd spend over $1,300 for a standard room.

Booking the same room by transferring Ultimate Rewards points to Hyatt would set you back just 36,000 points, giving you a value of 3.72 cents per point.

Separately, I plugged in the last 12 months' expenses into a credit card rewards calculator and am finding that the 1.25x points in my Chase Trifecta categories only generate about $38 in value, meaning that even with the $50 hotel credit, I'm spending an extra $7 on the Sapphire Preferred's annual fee. The 100,000 point sign up bonus was completely worth it that first year, though.

I am thinking the most efficient play from here would be to transfer my existing points to Hyatt or some other high-value partner, use them up for a trip in the coming months, let the Preferred expire, kill the Freedom Unlimited, and just lean on my flat 2% card plus Costco card. Maybe keep the Freedom Flex around for 3% off drugstores and 5% off of quarterly categories and Chase travel portal (which usually price-matches Google Flights / Kayak). Resulting percentage back categories would be:

5% travel
5% groceries (when applicable on Flex)
4% gas (thanks Loan Dusty Road for temporarily making my ancient Amazon card relevant again with their 10% offer!)
3% drugstores
3% restaurants
2% everything else

Does that all make sense? Any gaps/opportunities I'm missing here?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

so i'm about to put some money into allied both to grab the 2.5% card and also put some money into their HYSA... but apparently they were hacked/breached back in august where people's debit cards, something they had never used, suddenly incurred thousands of charges from random sources. and last year apparently they "accidentally" gave some personal info to their partners, didn't report it for 2 months, and then eventually won out in a lawsuit because the judge ruled no one was financially affected by it.

it sounds all pretty routine (unfortunately) but i'm guessing this shouldn't put me off to joining.. or should it?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Space Fish posted:

Sorry for the delay, had to dig through my history and find an example... though this one leads to 3.72 cents per point:

Separately, I plugged in the last 12 months' expenses into a credit card rewards calculator and am finding that the 1.25x points in my Chase Trifecta categories only generate about $38 in value, meaning that even with the $50 hotel credit, I'm spending an extra $7 on the Sapphire Preferred's annual fee. The 100,000 point sign up bonus was completely worth it that first year, though.

I am thinking the most efficient play from here would be to transfer my existing points to Hyatt or some other high-value partner, use them up for a trip in the coming months, let the Preferred expire, kill the Freedom Unlimited, and just lean on my flat 2% card plus Costco card. Maybe keep the Freedom Flex around for 3% off drugstores and 5% off of quarterly categories and Chase travel portal (which usually price-matches Google Flights / Kayak). Resulting percentage back categories would be:

5% travel
5% groceries (when applicable on Flex)
4% gas (thanks Loan Dusty Road for temporarily making my ancient Amazon card relevant again with their 10% offer!)
3% drugstores
3% restaurants
2% everything else

Does that all make sense? Any gaps/opportunities I'm missing here?

If you keep the freedom unlimited card open, you can get different (and slight variations of) Chase offers (the card-specific cashback deals).

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Strong Sauce posted:

so i'm about to put some money into allied both to grab the 2.5% card and also put some money into their HYSA... but apparently they were hacked/breached back in august where people's debit cards, something they had never used, suddenly incurred thousands of charges from random sources. and last year apparently they "accidentally" gave some personal info to their partners, didn't report it for 2 months, and then eventually won out in a lawsuit because the judge ruled no one was financially affected by it.

it sounds all pretty routine (unfortunately) but i'm guessing this shouldn't put me off to joining.. or should it?

Honestly, I would assume that Alliant is probably safer now than most CU's or small midsize banks. You're probably safer from hacking at like a big bank, like Chase, where they will just steal from you straight up without any hacking.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What's in your current card stable, what are they used for, and what points/cash back are you getting? I'm currently in the best place I've been for a while:

Amex BCP: Groceries, streaming (6%)
Amazon Prime Visa: Gas stations (10%), Amazon purchases (5%), Restaurants (3%)
Venmo Credit: Hotel stays (3%)
Target cred: Target purchases (5%)
Citi Doublecash: Bills (2%)
Discover: Anywhere I can use my Google Wallet contactless (5%)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Rip the 5% sallie mae card, the greatest credit card ever

astral
Apr 26, 2004

US Bank is launching a new card that looks interesting; you pick two retailers from a list to get 6% back at, and 3% back in a category of your choice (categories include Warehouse Clubs and the card is a Visa, so it would work at Costco):

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/u-s-bank-to-launch-shopper-cash-rewards-card-6-back-on-select-retailers-including-amazon/

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

astral posted:

US Bank is launching a new card that looks interesting; you pick two retailers from a list to get 6% back at, and 3% back in a category of your choice (categories include Warehouse Clubs and the card is a Visa, so it would work at Costco):

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/u-s-bank-to-launch-shopper-cash-rewards-card-6-back-on-select-retailers-including-amazon/

So there's already a Target credit card that gives you 5% back and an Amazon credit card that gives you 5% back. There is no comparable Walmart offering. This is that.

Unless you're one of those weirdos who loves Kohl's, is constantly buying clothes from Kohl's, and have family that includes growing children. These people exist. They love Kohl's so much. It's a cult.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There's an argument that with the 1% that Target offers on Circle (and doesn't stack on the Red Card) that the Red Card is now effectively a 4% card compared to this at 6%.

Personally, I'll stick with the Red Card because that 5% comes off the front of the transaction, no redemption or anything required. Also, I loving hate US Bank's website.

6% at Ace (and 6% at Amazon if I ever ditch Prime) is almost tempting, but I'm using the Citi Custom Cash for hardware stores in general to keep that as my 5% category.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

I churn, so I get cards mostly for the signup bonuses rather than the cashback. I've gotten around 600k in various points in the last ~6 months.

Amex Platinum (10x dining temp, 5x flights)
Amex Gold (4x grocery/Dining)
C1VX (2x everything, 10x car/hotel on portal)
CitiBiz AA (2x AA)
Chase Amazon Prime (5% amazon)
Chase Ink Cash (5x office supply)
Chase Ink Unlimited (1.5x everything)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
When you guys sign up for new cards for sign up bonuses, do you leave them open or close them immediately? I did a couple over the last few years and now have about 4 cards that I have no intention of ever using again, and I'm wondering if it would have been better to just close them out right away than let them sit.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Medullah posted:

When you guys sign up for new cards for sign up bonuses, do you leave them open or close them immediately? I did a couple over the last few years and now have about 4 cards that I have no intention of ever using again, and I'm wondering if it would have been better to just close them out right away than let them sit.

Don't close them right away, a bunch of companies will blacklist you for stuff like that. I plan to leave it open for year, and ask for a retention offer after the AF posts. Amex tends to give decent retention offers.
If there's no AF / worth keeping around for the perks, leave them open. Age of accounts & available credit helps your credit rating.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
Does the chase sapphire preferred include the year of grocery 5x point bonus like other chase cards?

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.

Shear Modulus posted:

The issuers will sometimes change the categories that you can pick from. They did this with the USBank Cash+ at some point and got rid of some of the awesome categories (I think at some point they were giving 5% cash back on airfare or something) and replaced them with crappy categories. That was a year or two ago. I dunno how often they do this, for the Cash+ it was maybe a few years after the card was introduced and most likely they got rid of the best ones because they were too good, and they were giving out more money than they wanted to. It's not something you should really plan for in my opinion, just ride the best rewards offers until they stop being offered then move onto the next one.

Applying for a bunch of cards back to back doesn't matter. It might ding your credit score a couple points for a few months, but that affects absolutely nothing unless you happen to be applying for a mortgage or another big loan right now and that couple of points is enough to affect your offered interest rate. Also, Chase has this policy where they won't give new cards to people who have already opened 5 cards in the past 24 months, but if you're not churning cards that doesn't matter either.

A very belated thanks for this, I ended up picking up a USBank Cash+ for utilities/Internet and a USAA Cashback Rewards Plus for gas in addition to the Custom Cash. Credit scores are down 20-30 points this month, but my utilization is probably also a factor there since I've been using the new cards a lot to hit the sign-up bonuses and am only making the minimum payments while the 0% APR offers are still in effect.

pseudanonymous posted:

I'm planning a big vacation next year and was thinking of doing just this as a second Custom Cash would round things out nicely for me. For anyone who's done it, how easy is it to do the product change? Any chance of the customer service rep noticing that you already have a Custom Cash card and denying it? (And out of sheer ignorance, do you still end up having to pay the second annual fee for the Premier?)

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Does the chase sapphire preferred include the year of grocery 5x point bonus like other chase cards?

Not that I'm aware of. My in-branch signup bonus earlier this year was 80,000 points, nothing else.

If you're not going for the in-branch offer, or if it's no longer available, don't forget the goon referral sheet.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Atahualpa posted:

A very belated thanks for this, I ended up picking up a USBank Cash+ for utilities/Internet and a USAA Cashback Rewards Plus for gas in addition to the Custom Cash. Credit scores are down 20-30 points this month, but my utilization is probably also a factor there since I've been using the new cards a lot to hit the sign-up bonuses and am only making the minimum payments while the 0% APR offers are still in effect.

I'm planning a big vacation next year and was thinking of doing just this as a second Custom Cash would round things out nicely for me. For anyone who's done it, how easy is it to do the product change? Any chance of the customer service rep noticing that you already have a Custom Cash card and denying it? (And out of sheer ignorance, do you still end up having to pay the second annual fee for the Premier?)

As far as I know if a rep says that you say you changed your mind and call back until you get a yes. Again afaik right now all cc companies will refund the 2nd year AF if you call to pc or close within the first month after it posts.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

runawayturtles posted:

Not that I'm aware of. My in-branch signup bonus earlier this year was 80,000 points, nothing else.

If you're not going for the in-branch offer, or if it's no longer available, don't forget the goon referral sheet.

Good to see my sheet getting some love. Let me know if there's any issues with it.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
If you add an authorized user on a card in general (chase or amex) can you see which person made what charges or do they just all pool into the same account?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Depends on the card. Citi and Chase seem to, the Target Redcard doesn't that I've seen (but the Redcard's web interface is... minimal to put it kindly)

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Veskit posted:

If you add an authorized user on a card in general (chase or amex) can you see which person made what charges or do they just all pool into the same account?

Yes for Amex (you can see who charged what).

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.

pseudanonymous posted:

As far as I know if a rep says that you say you changed your mind and call back until you get a yes. Again afaik right now all cc companies will refund the 2nd year AF if you call to pc or close within the first month after it posts.

Appreciate it, thanks!

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Atahualpa posted:

Appreciate it, thanks!

One thing worth noting with CCs if you call up and don't get the answer you want from a CS rep, just try again. If it's important try a couple of times. Lie and say it was promised to you.

People sometimes report weird data points, where they aren't allowed to PC to a credit card lots of other people have pc'ed to or something like that. Rather than assume its a new or changed policy, it's safer to assume the CS rep in question is just new or wrong or having a bad day.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Veskit posted:

My Chase cards for my wife have the same card number so no way to tell. Might be different for cards where you have to pay for the authorized user like CSR.

Amex cards have a different card number and the authorized user is definitely not treated as the account owner and can only see their own charges when they log in. Primary user can see both and they are tagged with the account name.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Veskit posted:

For Amex the AU can only see their own charges but you see both, clearly labeled. Can't speak for Chase.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
So I'm sitting on the Citi Expedia Gold card, which is going to cease to exist in 5 days and be product changed to a Premier. I'm assuming the conversion means I wouldn't be eligible for a signup bonus? Wondering if this is a scenario where it makes sense to just close the Expedia card so I don't lose the ability to get that signup bonus for two years.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Nur_Neerg posted:

So I'm sitting on the Citi Expedia Gold card, which is going to cease to exist in 5 days and be product changed to a Premier. I'm assuming the conversion means I wouldn't be eligible for a signup bonus? Wondering if this is a scenario where it makes sense to just close the Expedia card so I don't lose the ability to get that signup bonus for two years.

Apply for a custom cash today, to get the sub, then in day or so request a pc for your Expedia to custom cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

pseudanonymous posted:

Apply for a custom cash today, to get the sub, then in day or so request a pc for your Expedia to custom cash.

Called in to try to PC the Expedia card a few days ago and was told it wasn't eligible to be changed to anything. Case of HUCA?