Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Honestly I'd stop wasting your time. Go back and do Capaldi's last season, which is one of the strongest of the revival

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Barry Foster posted:

Honestly I'd stop wasting your time. Go back and do Capaldi's last season, which is one of the strongest of the revival

:hmmyes:

Yeah, Capaldi’s final season is pretty amazing. Also Heaven Sent from season 9 is an absolute tour de force and must be watched.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, I'm still a big believer in physical media, particularly for Doctor Who.

Gaming I embraced digital but even then it's troubling seeing music get replaced when the licenses run out or in some cases characters getting entire makeovers because the real person who did their voice/gave their likeness ended up in some minor scandal in Japan or something.

Not such an issue for Doctor Who where the BBC - if I remember right - has rights to particular music forever once they get the agreement (which is how at least one recording of a Beatles performance actually still exists today, because it featured in a Hartnell episode!), but imagine Britney Spears or the Scissor Sisters having their songs removed from their episodes of Who, that would suck.

Not sure if it's the point you're making, but that apparently is actually already an issue. The Scissor Sisters song used in Last of the Time Lords in particular seems to be a problem, so that scene has been edited out on a bunch of streaming services.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Voting Floater posted:

Not sure if it's the point you're making, but that apparently is actually already an issue. The Scissor Sisters song used in Last of the Time Lords in particular seems to be a problem, so that scene has been edited out on a bunch of streaming services.

I didn't know that, and it makes me thankful yet again for physical media! You NEED that scene for the initial "What the gently caress" that they're playing the music, and then the,"Oh that loving troll" moment when you realize The Master is literally blasting it through loudspeakers because he's a dick :xd:

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
I’m trying to remember if there was actually an issue with the Scissor Sisters, since that was originally removed as part of several edits to cut Last of the Time Lords down to 45 minutes. Then, as is typical, several streaming services just got lazy and used that edit rather than the original 52 minute version.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Barry Foster posted:

Missy was so good, such a missed opportunity with Whittaker.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Voting Floater posted:

That is a crime. Literally one of the best scenes in the revival!

Right up there with the S1 Supernatural streaming not having the original songs (The In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida where the cops storm the serial killer house is particularly egregious).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Zaroff posted:

I’m trying to remember if there was actually an issue with the Scissor Sisters, since that was originally removed as part of several edits to cut Last of the Time Lords down to 45 minutes. Then, as is typical, several streaming services just got lazy and used that edit rather than the original 52 minute version.

Right, it was a cut made for syndication purposes, not for licensing rights.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

Agreed. I'm not watching a frame more of Chibnall's era than I have to. I will watch Power of the Doctor though.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

What's the Capaldi lion-man episode? Has it been so long I only remember like three Twelfth Doctor stories?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Coward posted:

What's the Capaldi lion-man episode? Has it been so long I only remember like three Twelfth Doctor stories?

The Woman Who Lived.

I liked it a lot FWIW.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Oh, right. I am fairly sure I haven't seen it since it was first broadcast, so that makes sense. Thank you!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Open Source Idiom posted:

The Woman Who Lived.

I liked it a lot FWIW.
That episode (the one where I stopped watching) had such a schizophrenic tone. Ashildir telling the Doctor how he'd cursed her to outlive her children and everyone else she ever cared about? Great. Wacky peasant comedy and crappy lion-man blowing stuff up? Awful. For some reason that was the last straw for me, even though there had been plenty of stuff previously that was objectively worse (not least 'Kill The Moon' and 'Forest of the Night') - maybe it was just that Twelve himself was not a character I wanted to spend any more time with, as he'd become actively obnoxious in a way not even Six managed.

(Even though people keep saying Twelve's final season was great, I'm still put off watching it because I can't help thinking it'll be Twelve at his Twelviest and Moffat being maximally Moffatty - I'd had enough of his schtick by then too.)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

It just kinda isn't? That's the only way I can put it.

It's a lot less bombastic and has a more thoughtful tone overall - it almost feels like a bit of a soft reboot. It's not all great (some of it not even good - that's Doctor Who for ya!) but it has some really, really good stuff. Twelve is at his most compassionate and sympathetic. Bill (new companion) is one of my absolute favourites of the whole revival era, she's extremely likeable.

It's just really good. Don't be put off by your imaginary version of what it is, d'you know what I mean?

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Oct 10, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bill was a great companion, absolutely, and Capaldi's last season really did feel like they were trying something different. Plus it has Oxygen, which is an absolutely incredible episode.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

There has been licensing problems with music before. The US release of The Chase lost The Beatles scene entirely, and worldwide, a Beatles song had to be painstakingly removed and replaced with something else in the CD release of The Evil of the Daleks missing episodes soundtrack.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

happyhippy posted:

I swear that same location was used before in an ep.

The Saitama/Genos fight

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Payndz posted:

That episode (the one where I stopped watching) had such a schizophrenic tone. Ashildir telling the Doctor how he'd cursed her to outlive her children and everyone else she ever cared about? Great. Wacky peasant comedy and crappy lion-man blowing stuff up? Awful. For some reason that was the last straw for me, even though there had been plenty of stuff previously that was objectively worse (not least 'Kill The Moon' and 'Forest of the Night') - maybe it was just that Twelve himself was not a character I wanted to spend any more time with, as he'd become actively obnoxious in a way not even Six managed.

(Even though people keep saying Twelve's final season was great, I'm still put off watching it because I can't help thinking it'll be Twelve at his Twelviest and Moffat being maximally Moffatty - I'd had enough of his schtick by then too.)

Yeah you're just not right here. Twelve's final season isn't simply "great," it has what's probably the best standalone episode of the revival. You're just depriving yourself of something you'll enjoy by being stubborn about an episode that basically nobody remembers.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I vaguely remembered that Twelve and Clara met Ashildr in the middle of the season to set up the ending, but I'd completely left behind anything that actually happened in the episode. This ks the first time I've seen it mentioned since it aired.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Davros1 posted:

There has been licensing problems with music before. The US release of The Chase lost The Beatles scene entirely, and worldwide, a Beatles song had to be painstakingly removed and replaced with something else in the CD release of The Evil of the Daleks missing episodes soundtrack.

Also a snippet of a Fleetwood Mac song had to be edited out of The Three Doctors, if memory serves (it was "Oh Well", from the Peter Green-era Mac).

On the topic of Moffat, here's my infrequent reminder that I gave up on his version of DW about halfway through Eleven's run and never looked back.

CommonShore posted:

Yeah you're just not right here. Twelve's final season isn't simply "great," it has what's probably the best standalone episode of the revival. You're just depriving yourself of something you'll enjoy by being stubborn about an episode that basically nobody remembers.

It's their opinion, they can't be wrong about it.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Also a snippet of a Fleetwood Mac song had to be edited out of The Three Doctors, if memory serves (it was "Oh Well", from the Peter Green-era Mac).

Spearhead from Space, and I think it’s since been resolved and recent releases (well those from 10 years ago) have had Oh Well reinstated.

I’m curious about The Chase - from what I’ve heard the same masters have been created for both UK and US releases. No idea what that means, however I suspect we will learn more in the next DWM which has the Season 2 set preview.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Zaroff posted:

Spearhead from Space, and I think it’s since been resolved and recent releases (well those from 10 years ago) have had Oh Well reinstated.

I’m curious about The Chase - from what I’ve heard the same masters have been created for both UK and US releases. No idea what that means, however I suspect we will learn more in the next DWM which has the Season 2 set preview.

You're right, for some reason I thought it was T3D, but it was SFS.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

TinTower posted:

https://twitter.com/ProfDaveAndress/status/1577653226425516033

Meanwhile, RTD joins Armando Iannucci and Margaret Atwood in their weekly drink-themselves-to-death sessions over people taking their fictional stories as advice.

It's likely that Thompson's costume was based off Truss, as she wore that outfit before Years and Years started filming and there aren't many "blonde female high profile Tory politicians" to take inspiration from.

CommonShore posted:

Yeah you're just not right here. Twelve's final season isn't simply "great," it has what's probably the best standalone episode of the revival.

Which episode are you talking about here

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 10, 2022

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Sydney Bottocks posted:

On the topic of Moffat, here's my infrequent reminder that I gave up on his version of DW about halfway through Eleven's run and never looked back.

It's their opinion, they can't be wrong about it.

Their opinion is a prediction about what episodes they havent watched are like. They can absolutely be wrong about that. If you didnt watch the thing you have less information than people who did watch the thing.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

SiKboy posted:

Their opinion is a prediction about what episodes they havent watched are like. They can absolutely be wrong about that. If you didnt watch the thing you have less information than people who did watch the thing.

If they don't like the particular character or the particular writer or the particular showrunner, they can make a prediction based on their opinion of what they've seen in the past, and in that regard they can't be wrong because they're not likely to enjoy it. You don't need to get kicked in the groin to know that it's probably going to suck being kicked in the groin.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Bill was a great companion, absolutely, and Capaldi's last season really did feel like they were trying something different. Plus it has Oxygen, which is an absolutely incredible episode.

I am going to say Capaldi's last season and special is fine, maybe even good buy that trilogy of Extremis to the Lie of the Land is pretty bad and sucks the momentum out of the season.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Sydney Bottocks posted:

If they don't like the particular character or the particular writer or the particular showrunner, they can make a prediction based on their opinion of what they've seen in the past, and in that regard they can't be wrong because they're not likely to enjoy it. You don't need to get kicked in the groin to know that it's probably going to suck being kicked in the groin.

If it was just "I dont think I'd like it because I dont like this character or that showrunner" then sure whatever. But you can absolutely be wrong when you say things like "it'll be Twelve at his Twelviest and Moffat being maximally Moffatty" about episodes you havent seen, and other people say "No, actually it goes in the other direction, and moffatt actually restrains his worst excesses" because people who have seen it have more information than you and know what the actual episodes are like.

I mean, watch it, dont watch it, I dont care. But if you dont watch it then your opinion on it is intrinsically less educated than those who did.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Extremis is fine if you replace the two parter afterwards by just imagining that the Doctor used what he learned to kick those weird aliens' asses off his planet in seconds and that was an end to it.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Dabir posted:

Extremis is fine if you replace the two parter afterwards by just imagining that the Doctor used what he learned to kick those weird aliens' asses off his planet in seconds and that was an end to it.

Yeah, absolutely. That first episode is really good, and does a pretty good job at existential horror, which is one of the horrors Who doesn't visit all that often

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Dabir posted:

:hmmyes:

Extremis was very good and then Peter Harness came in and Peter Harness'd all over it

I love The Lie of the Land's aesthetic though; very Half-Life 2, but the story is just one long tired sigh

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 10, 2022

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

SiKboy posted:

If it was just "I dont think I'd like it because I dont like this character or that showrunner" then sure whatever. But you can absolutely be wrong when you say things like "it'll be Twelve at his Twelviest and Moffat being maximally Moffatty" about episodes you havent seen, and other people say "No, actually it goes in the other direction, and moffatt actually restrains his worst excesses" because people who have seen it have more information than you and know what the actual episodes are like.

Good thing that wasn't what happened, then!

CommonShore posted:

The debate wasn't about Moffat being Moffatty, it was about how the season is just great, end of discussion. Not quite the same as "Moffat restrains his worst excesses".

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's likely that Thompson's costume was based off Truss, as she wore that outfit before Years and Years started filming and there aren't many "blonde female high profile Tory politicians" to take inspiration from.

Which episode are you talking about here

Lol wait heaven sent isn't the last season. Whoops

World enough and time is still extremely good

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Good thing that wasn't what happened, then!

The debate wasn't about Moffat being Moffatty, it was about how the season is just great, end of discussion. Not quite the same as "Moffat restrains his worst excesses".

Payndz posted:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I'm going to drop out of this argument as I think we've both made our points and will just have to agree to disagree on this particular thing.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
All right, I'll watch Twelve's final season sometime, jeez.

After all this buildup, though, it'd better be the best loving thing the show's done since the Hinchcliffe era.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
You should definitely watch Heaven Sent from the end of Season 9 as well though.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Payndz posted:

All right, I'll watch Twelve's final season sometime, jeez.

After all this buildup, though, it'd better be the best loving thing the show's done since the Hinchcliffe era.

Man, talk about a high bar to clear...

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Watch the show for its peaks and forget about the valleys. It's the most enjoyable and least heartbreaking that way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, the monk trilogy is one great episode, one not very good one and one bad one, if I remember right. And I really, really, really disliked the ending to it.

Edit: The Master's cheerful detailing of how she defeated them in the past was great though - either find and kill the person who "invited" them or blow up the planet. Win-win either way! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The middle episode is 100% driven by intelligent people acting in the dumbest way possible, and the last episode reads like Moffat and Whithouse sighing and cleaning up Harness's mess.