Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Residency Evil posted:

I think with more time, I'll be able to put to words why this season feels like more of a waste than usual.

Maybe because it started off so promising, but Red Bull gradually pulled away from the pack and Ferrari fell behind. Mercedes never got their act together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I hope Merc never figures its car out and next year is a bitterly close contest between McLaren and Alpine

peepeepants
Oct 9, 2001

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Solus posted:

*max verstappen voice* ha ha yes
/

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I hope they schedule Max and Dan in the press conferences for the rest of the year now that Dan is not racing next year (or most likely every again in F1).

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Simplex posted:

I think it's because Ferrari probably had the best car up until the summer break, but pissed away any advantage with bad driving and insane decisions. Since Spa, the Red Bull has been untouchable on track making Max's second title inevitable and the season since has been pretty processional.

i don't think ferrari had the best car past maybe like the third week or whenever it is red bull figured out how to keep the power unit from exploding every week

like, at times it looks like it's had the pace or the handling to keep up with red bull, but at no time has ferarri ever been able to keep the car going as fast as the top of the field while also keeping it from turning into a burning wreck

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Declan MacManus posted:

i don't think ferrari had the best car past maybe like the third week or whenever it is red bull figured out how to keep the power unit from exploding every week

like, at times it looks like it's had the pace or the handling to keep up with red bull, but at no time has ferarri ever been able to keep the car going as fast as the top of the field while also keeping it from turning into a burning wreck

In Austria they were faster too, or at least RB kept eating their tires way quicker. It would’ve been a Ferrari 1-2 if not for plan D (as in Destroy Sainz’ engine).

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

yeah max was a great end to hamiltons reign, wouldn't mind if he got a few more, but hopefully more real competition next year

Yeah, he is the best driver but the car is also far ahead. The season was more exciting at the start when Ferrari seemed to be able to win too.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Meh

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

EoRaptor posted:

Mercedes is the only outlier, starting with a unique car concept and then never getting on top of it. They are too good of a team to stay down, though. Even with all their issues, they are still third.

I wouldn't be surprised if Merc could close the gap to Ferrari

rpop
Dec 17, 2003

noveo@ace

I got really drunk during the rain delay, I'm not entirely sure who won or what happened afterwards, I'm going to assume Kimi won, congratulations to the iceman on his 2nd world title

rpop
Dec 17, 2003

noveo@ace

Thanks Ants posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Merc could close the gap to Ferrari

It kills me that the one time Merc did a Ferrari pitstop, it deprived George Russell of his first win

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
I'm kind of expecting Alpine to blow by mclaren, they seem to have solved a lot of their reliability bugbears with the new reg

shame danny ric left

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

net work error posted:

Too many races
Red Bull asterisk again
Lewis was robbed

:golfclap:

Declan MacManus posted:

I think the strength of the Ferrari (and to an extent Charles) is qualifying, the Ferrari seems to be able to turn the tires on really quickly. But this turns into a weakness if they’re not setting the pace in clean air, the fronts especially burn off if they’re trying to chase a Red Bull down.

There was noise last weekend Mercedes understood (finally) where they were mistaken, but was not something they could fix on this year’s car. Scuttlebutt is the entry to the tunnels on the front of the car.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

John McClane posted:

I'm kind of expecting Alpine to blow by mclaren, they seem to have solved a lot of their reliability bugbears with the new reg

shame danny ric left

i mean we are only one week removed from a double Alpine retirement due to power unit failures

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Ferrari (or Charles) seems to have a very limited performance window. Good at qualifying and generally has a spell where they are as fast/faster than redbull but then drops off big time.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Ferrari (or Charles) seems to have a very limited performance window. Good at qualifying and generally has a spell where they are as fast/faster than redbull but then drops off big time.

PTSD kicks in as he approaches his pit window.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
https://twitter.com/EngineMode11/status/1579172620796248064?s=20&t=_FWUxMCGjVsXmCQpzSfnyA

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Congratulations! You Won. posted:

remember how both red bulls (and gasly!) self destructed in bahrain and there was hope they might have hosed up their engine somehow for the season

basically I'm saying the championship winning team should have to use a self-sabotaging PU for the next season, it's only fair

there should be a fan vote to detonate one engine each race

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Herbert is a moron. This is how Max found out he is world champion:

quote:

Herbert (while interviewing Perez): It seems Charles got a five second penalty for going through the chicane. Max! I think maybe its have changed for you. Come back in. Charler [sic] got a five second penalty there after the little sort of race we had with, errr, with Sergio. World Champion.

Max: Wow. Haha. What can I say.

No ceremony, no showmanship, no talent, just a moron saying words.

I love that Max basically assumed that Herbert and the FIA are incompetents and just didn't believe it.

I don't really like him, but Max has been the best driver this year. The pass on LEC at T1 and T2 on the first lap really was very good, and he held his nerve through what could have been a tricky restart and race. LEC was no where near and it was always going to be here or the next race.

I don't agree that LEC gained an advantage by leaving the track - he lost time to Perez between leaving the track and rejoining - it doesn't really make a difference to the WDC though.

Red bull's double stack to completely gently caress LEC was actually very impressive. I hate them, but at least they are good at what they do. Meanwhile I will keep an eye on the rest of the season to see what new and exciting ways the Ferrari clownshow messes up.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Vando posted:

reverse fan boost

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

CancerCakes posted:

Herbert is a moron.

Yes, we’ve all seen him drive, thank you

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Alaois posted:

reverse fan boost

fan blast

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Can't wait for FIA to not do anything about blatant breaking of rules

Hope Toto makes good on his threat and just pulls the plug on this sham of a sport

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

CancerCakes posted:

Herbert is a moron. This is how Max found out he is world champion:

No ceremony, no showmanship, no talent, just a moron saying words.

I love that Max basically assumed that Herbert and the FIA are incompetents and just didn't believe it.

It happened in the cooldown room. Nobody knows what's going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eicmgODyBDw

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Vando posted:

Nah, we just need to stop worrying about Formula 1 engines lasting longer than a weekend. Let them turn them up a bit and we’ll get glorious detonations on the regular once more.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
Also Gasly almost ran into the back of a tractor like Schumacher ran into the back of Coulthard because one was on the track before the cars came in during the red flag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lOkuPwwaB8

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
After an extensive investigation the FIA has determined that RBR overspent the cap by 15 million dollars. After checking with RBR directly to see if they are okay with the punishment we will be implementing a firm wrist slap into Christian Horner later this year.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

acidx posted:

Also Gasly almost ran into the back of a tractor like Schumacher ran into the back of Coulthard because one was on the track before the cars came in during the red flag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lOkuPwwaB8

They fined and gave him points for speeding. Said he was going too fast for double yellows but not saying anything about the tractor

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Max being told there is that WDC room for him, him awkwardly sitting down, taking two looks around and leaving it was pretty hilarious.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ilmucche posted:

They fined and gave him points for speeding. Said he was going too fast for double yellows but not saying anything about the tractor

Gasly said in the interview that he was driving slower than the deltas on the dash. Drivers take the piss under double waved yellows so often that I'd be open to the idea of a pit-lane style speed limiter that needs to be activated in that section of the track. The official rules for double waved yellows is to slow down and be prepared to stop, lifting slightly for half a second isn't that.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The whole day at Brands was a mess, just crashes all over

I'd love to find a video of it but at the start of a ginetta race one car immediately speared left into the car next to it, was red flagged for ages due to both cars pissing the content of their engines everywhere

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 10, 2022

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Isn't there supposed to be some kind of news today?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Here's some news: RBR are cheats and frauds OP

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

net work error posted:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

net work error posted:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

net work error posted:

:hmmyes:

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
there are probably some toxx bans or probes we should process, but like... i really just dont even want to at all because ugh

feelin down about F1 after this weekend :smith:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

checks out

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

When McLaren got the full season DSQ for stealing Ferrari's homework the drivers were still allowed to keep their points so its possible even the most severe punishment for Red Bull still lets Max have his WDC

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Alaois posted:

i mean we are only one week removed from a double Alpine retirement due to power unit failures

Their car is pretty fast now, it just looks worse on paper results wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Frond posted:

Their car is pretty fast now, it just looks worse on paper results wise.

With the hiring of Gasly to pair with Ocon, what Alpine really needs to push them over the edge is to airlift their facilities from Enstone to Paris and secure a Gitanes sponsorship