Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Coolness Averted posted:

Since I've seen it mentioned a few times how do you do the 40 fps cap? The only performance options I see in the deck's profile allows for 30, 60, or uncapped. I've been playing at 60 and absolutely don't think I'd notice the difference between 40 and 60

the three-dot button lets you change the refresh rate from 60 down to 40hz, and the framerate cap slider will adjust accordingly (so the max is 40, not 60)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Zamujasa posted:

the three-dot button lets you change the refresh rate from 60 down to 40hz, and the framerate cap slider will adjust accordingly (so the max is 40, not 60)

Ah changing the 60 to 40hz is the step I was missing, thanks.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

Yep the launcher. For whatever reason it never opens the launcher the first time for me in game mode at least. After an abort or two it opens fine.

Does the launcher open full screen in game mode for you? I can’t get it to do that so I can’t launch any games. It works fine in desktop mode though

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

mistermojo posted:

I just installed EmuDeck and dropped roms in the rom folder and the bios in the bios folder, ran the steam rom thing and it worked great. Sometimes you have to run the emulator first or change controls but thats it.

the main emulators even have the binds for save/load state already set up

Do you have to install any of the other emulators first before installing EmuDeck? I only briefly messed around in desktop mode and saw a bunch of them in the dolphin installer app or whatever it's called.

Also, how the hell do I more easily use the desktop mode? The trsckpad isn't exactly great for it as I can't figure out how to scroll things up or down like a mouse wheel.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Emu deck does everything for you.

I just use a mouse for desktop mode tbh

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Kin posted:

Do you have to install any of the other emulators first before installing EmuDeck? I only briefly messed around in desktop mode and saw a bunch of them in the dolphin installer app or whatever it's called.

Also, how the hell do I more easily use the desktop mode? The trsckpad isn't exactly great for it as I can't figure out how to scroll things up or down like a mouse wheel.

There are controller setups you can use and install from Steam for desktop mode. For whatever reason mine defaulted to a really lovely half-baked one where most stuff wasn't mapped, and there was a default one that set up the left trackpad as a scroll wheel (among other improvements).

The menu was kind of wonky, though. Might be better now

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If you haven't used it yet and are going to use Emudeck for the first time I would highly recommend using the new beta version. It's way nicer and gives you a lot more options while installing. A new build just came out today.

https://github.com/EmuDeck/emudeck-electron

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
Am I the only one who can see the 40hz flicking? I’ll take 30fps over the weird peripheral vision strobe thing off low refresh rate screens. It’s not just the deck either, 74hz on my quest 2 does the same thing. Like old fluorescent office lighting.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I don't see it at all.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

X-O posted:

If you haven't used it yet and are going to use Emudeck for the first time I would highly recommend using the new beta version. It's way nicer and gives you a lot more options while installing. A new build just came out today.

https://github.com/EmuDeck/emudeck-electron

You say this as I'm in the middle of installing whatever the download was from their website right now

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Hey every time I go to desktop mode kdewallet asks me for my password. Any way to get that to stop?

Not sure if you figured this out already but I ran into a similar issue as well and the only way it seems to keep it from being a bother every time (Seemed to do the same every time you opened a web browser that had any passwords in it) is to set a blank password when you create the password wallet.

Insecure as heck probably, but eh, that's the fix I found at least.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

MarcusSA posted:

Does the launcher open full screen in game mode for you? I can’t get it to do that so I can’t launch any games. It works fine in desktop mode though

Yep works fine. When it works.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

Yep works fine. When it works.

Yeah it didn’t work yesterday but today it worked fine lol. OW2 runs weird though and crashes. D2R works fine though

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Anyone figure out how to switch the B and X buttons for Dolphin gamecube games? It keeps seeming to go positionally to "b is left of A on the original controller" and I don't want to rewire my brain to think "b is left of A"

I got emudeck set up but the icons that steamrommanager said it would make didn't show up on the deck...those were landscape shaped, but the non-steam links are portrait

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Got my deck today. Buttons don't work. Pretty cool.

E: after multiple shut downs and tries it finally started working. Very strange.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 10, 2022

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Zamujasa posted:

There are controller setups you can use and install from Steam for desktop mode. For whatever reason mine defaulted to a really lovely half-baked one where most stuff wasn't mapped, and there was a default one that set up the left trackpad as a scroll wheel (among other improvements).

The menu was kind of wonky, though. Might be better now

Whenever I try to open the controller configuration in desktop mode it softlocks the device and I have to hold the power button down and force a reboot :v:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Trying now to emulate N64/PSP/PS1/2/3, GC, WII, and maybe 1-2 WII U games, The emulation itself is going ok (besides Dolphin not recognizing the deck's controls automatically...) but I really would prefer to launch these out of gaming mode instead of having to crack open the keyboard and mouse in desktop mode, launch the game, then undock everything and go back to the comfortable spot in the room.

Is emudeck the way to go here?

You can always add non-steam apps to your steam library so you can load an emulator app without being in desktop mode.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Just noticed that my deck let's me add funds off my account card without any locks in place (ie: verify 3 digit code, etc.). I don't want my kid accidentally loading money, buy I also don't want to remove my card. It's there a way to just lock that option out with a pin or something?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Gay Retard posted:

You can always add non-steam apps to your steam library so you can load an emulator app without being in desktop mode.

Trying to figure this out now. The instructions say to go to Heroic in steam but it's not there. So I must have missed something.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Trying to figure this out now. The instructions say to go to Heroic in steam but it's not there. So I must have missed something.

The heroic launcher is installed from the discover store in desktop mode.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Waltzing Along posted:

Steam Rom Manager that comes with the Emudeck install will auto add them to steam with pictures so they will be there in Gaming mode.

You can also add everything manual with "Games ---> add non steam game" at the top of steam in Desktop Mode, but then you will need to know the correct emulator paths.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

MarcusSA posted:

The heroic launcher is installed from the discover store in desktop mode.

Yeah, I found it. I thought there was a way to directly launch games w/out launching heroic first.

Now to figure out wine settings. This thing is great, it's like being transported back 30 years and nothing running properly without custom boot disks.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My Steam Deck is having issues with my mini-SD card, it is reading just fine in Windows. Formatted as exFAT. It was working earlier. :/

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Are you talking about the Deck's built-in uSD port or a USB reader? uSD cards used in the Deck's built-in port should be formatted by the Deck, which IIRC formats as ext4, which is a native Linux filesystem. I don't think the Deck likes using FAT uSDs in that port. It'll read them just fine off an external reader though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Having a devil of a time getting GOG games to run. Getting them installed is fine but I can't find any config files or a way to change settings. All the guides I have found are pretty much how to install the Heroic launcher but nothing past that.

So I tried Scummvm. Can't even find the games to run with that.

:woop:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

All the installs for GOG games installed through Heroic are in /home/Deck/games/heroic. You may need to dig through /home/Deck/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata to find some files for Windows games, though, that's where the Deck stores the emulated files and folder structures for Windows games. The problem is the folders in compatdata are named numerically, not by the game's title, so you may have to do some googling or creative file searching to find stuff in there.

EDIT: Also, for games installed through Heroic, you may need to enter the settings in the Heroic app and manually select a Proton version. So far both of the GOG games I've installed through Heroic (Neverwinter Nights and Shantae and the Pirate's Curse) have Just Worked, but the one Epic store game I've installed (Wonder Boy The Dragon's Trap) requires both a specific version of Proton and also only runs in Desktop mode.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Oct 10, 2022

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I found those files but there don't seem to be an .ini or config files. I'm trying to get the monkey island games running, which I already own on GOG so don't want to buy again. It seems a simple change, just drop the resolution. But that's where I am stuck.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Here again to suggest Lutris as an alternative to Heroic for gog games. Seems to do well deciding for itself whether it should use a Linux, dos or scummvm install as available.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'll give that a shot, thanks.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You found the stuff in the compatdata folder too? That's where the Deck seems to keep all the saves and config files for Windows games, and it's a fuckin mess in there, it's really hard to find anything.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

fadam posted:

Why does turning VSync on in Dead Space 2 lock to 30 FPS?

Only things I can think of are that maybe the game is dropping below 60 fps and stepping down to Vsync locked at 30, or there's a separate in-game limiter that's set to 30.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dead Space 2 shouldn't drop under 60 ever, it might have some bullshit like Dead Space 1 does on PC.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Commander Keene posted:

You found the stuff in the compatdata folder too? That's where the Deck seems to keep all the saves and config files for Windows games, and it's a fuckin mess in there, it's really hard to find anything.

Oh no. Just the folders under heroic. Currently fiddling with lutris now.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

Not really, there's one folder for each AppId (you can look those up on steamdb.info), inside that is a folder called pfx (which is the "Wine prefix", weirdly named because of semantic drift), and inside that is a folder called drive_c which should be self explanatory.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Will there be entries on steamdb for non-Steam games? Is the titleid the same for non-Steam versions of games that are on Steam? That's what we're talking about here, it's very much trial and error there unless you know specific file/folder names to search for afaik.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Oh I didn’t even know Steam could do compat tools for non-Steam games.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

Will there be entries on steamdb for non-Steam games? Is the titleid the same for non-Steam versions of games that are on Steam? That's what we're talking about here, it's very much trial and error there unless you know specific file/folder names to search for afaik.
The appids for non-Steam games are large arbitrary numbers based on the path to the executable, so its not gonna be the same as the Steam version and may not be the same as it is on anyone else's machine. Mostly just look for the conspicuously large number ones and sort by date to narrow it down. I think protontricks may be able to search for non-steam appids by name also, I know it can for steam games at least.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

^^^ I'll keep that in mind, but mostly I've been looking up the game's file structure in Windows and searching for specific files to find the specific folder I need.

pseudorandom name posted:

Oh I didn’t even know Steam could do compat tools for non-Steam games.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure anything you run under a Proton compatibility layer gets an entry there, I've found save data and stuff for RPGMaker fangames that never got a Steam release there.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Oct 10, 2022

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

https://steamdeckrepo.com/ this would be a nice resource if i ever actually turned my deck off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My unit shipped!!! And the UK bit isn’t being handled by Evri!!!! Excellent!!!!!