Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Also drat Eve Best is absolutely killing it as Rhaenys. Whenever she's on screen she's got an amazing presence and gravitas.

Also also drat at King Goon. What a trooper. And then he ruined it all on his deathbed (and why must half the princes in the realm be named Aegon)

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Oct 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

grittyreboot posted:

I caught how Alicent misunderstood Jon Snow's prophecy as one regarding her son's just as Cole's confession was a misunderstanding. I really hope the show continues this tragic comedy of errors.

I would love this

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Rip goon king, he dies as he lived, unintentionally loving things up harder than previously believed possible while high on drugs.

e. also family man Daemon owns, more of this.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
dragon house show : he can keep his tongue

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009
This shows owns and this last episode totally lived up to the hype.

I’m fully expecting the show to die a GoT death, but until then I’m sure as hell enjoying the ride. Really sad we couldn’t have these show runners do GoT seasons 5+.

Zenithe posted:

e. also family man Daemon owns, more of this.

And hear hear. I don’t condone incest but the contrast between him and Laenor as a husband was huge.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
This might have been the first episode that didn't feel rushed. Much slower pace, but still very good.

If you're Otto, you've gotta be hoping Aegon has some kind of "accident" so Aemond is next in line.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Remember when people were making GBS threads on the new actors after the time jump in e6?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Remember when people were making GBS threads on the new actors after the time jump in e6?

no?

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I am just in awe of how this show managed to make an old guy hobbling his way across the room to sit down more triumphant and tense than the entire Battle of Winterfell. And I don't even mean that to be some snarky hyperbole -- that scene was genuinely gripping. :suspense:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
As someone who works with frail and elderly folk him walking to the throne was some hardcore anxiety

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I 100% expected that sea of swords to finish the job it started all those episodes ago.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Kinda funny that kind of core ASOIAF lore is that royals can't just go around murdering nobles but in HOTD you can just decapitate a guy in full view of the court and nobody gives a poo poo, like we're supposed to believe that everyone is so invested in the blacks vs. greens conflict but every single noble in the realm should basically conspire against both factions because even under viserys the targs are basically acting like utter monsters who have complete contempt towards their subjects and the rest of the aristocracy, I mean sure they have a bunch of dragons now but why is nobody poisoning these fuckers?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

Wow you should send this to ScreenFart or FanFart it sounds like the big sort of scoop they’d do a expose on

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Kinda funny that kind of core ASOIAF lore is that royals can't just go around murdering nobles but in HOTD you can just decapitate a guy in full view of the court and nobody gives a poo poo, like we're supposed to believe that everyone is so invested in the blacks vs. greens conflict but every single noble in the realm should basically conspire against both factions because even under viserys the targs are basically acting like utter monsters who have complete contempt towards their subjects and the rest of the aristocracy, I mean sure they have a bunch of dragons now but why is nobody poisoning these fuckers?

Vaemond was getting executed either way. He committed treason, and went beyond that in insulting the heir, and talking back to the king. Heck, the way he talked to the king was probably enough to be executed even if he didn't call Rhaenyra's kids bastards and her a whore.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Maybe after the realm eats itself in the coming civil war the targs finally step back and go, "Whoa hey maybe we shouldn't have this much power over our subjects."

Not that it matters in the long run.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Besides the fact that he was getting executed anyway, most of the people present are royals themselves, and ones who have picked sides. The Hightowers lost that round and standing up for a guy who is now doomed seems stupid, especially when they can use that as a cause celebre later if war ever does come off. It isn't worth the fight right that second for them, and Rhaenyra's faction would rather that be settled. And as for the other nobles, elsewhere in the realm? Who knows what they will hear. If from a black-friendly source, it may well be that he was executed. And the killer being the adopted father and new husband of the insulted parties certainly helps the idea that it was "just". The kingsguard certainly don't react until Otto yells out to disarm him.

What is weirder for me is that the kids are still treated as bastards. At least by ASOIAF times, legitimizing bastards is a thing, so even if they are bastards, surely Laenor and Rhaenyra publicly claiming them as their kids together should really settle the matter? Yeah, some muttering and rumors should be there but Laenor's support should have ended that. At worst most people should see them as legitimized bastards.

E: could be that that isn't a thing in this Era yet. Any lore folks know if that has happened in Westeros yet?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Under Jaeherys and Viserys, Westeros has had maybe 100 years of relative peace. Why would the peasants have a problem with them?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Next episode opens with Viserys miraculously cured. He does a song and dance number, but then dies when he falls off his celebratory dragon flight.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Rhaenys’s wig makes her look like a Conehead trying to pass, but she’s awesome.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

TyrantWD posted:

Vaemond was getting executed either way. He committed treason, and went beyond that in insulting the heir, and talking back to the king. Heck, the way he talked to the king was probably enough to be executed even if he didn't call Rhaenyra's kids bastards and her a whore.

Yeah, it didn't seem all that shocking that people just kinda watched it happen. This is the royal family, Daemon is the brother of the king, and this is a time period where civilization is just a tenuous truce between men who were really only a few steps above violent barbarians. Who's gonna grab the brother of the king and put him in shackles, even after he's just killed someone? No one except the king himself is going to take that kind of initiative, especially in the middle of the palace surrounded by armored Kingsguard.

Hey, couple questions from a bad TV watcher:

Have they officially abandoned the succession passing down to Rhaenyra now that Viserys has male heirs, or do people still think the succession is going to go to Rhaenyra and then her Strong sons?

What was Viserys trying to tell Alicent at the end? He said Aegon needs to rule because of the prophecy of fire and ice, right? I've seen it was a misunderstanding where he thought he was talking to Rhaenyra, but I thought Aegon was Alicent's son anyway.

Why couldn't Rhaenyra just say "Hey, keep it under your hat, but I didn't actually kill your son, he's off somewhere living his best life."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Phenotype posted:

Have they officially abandoned the succession passing down to Rhaenyra now that Viserys has male heirs, or do people still think the succession is going to go to Rhaenyra and then her Strong sons?

What was Viserys trying to tell Alicent at the end? He said Aegon needs to rule because of the prophecy of fire and ice, right? I've seen it was a misunderstanding where he thought he was talking to Rhaenyra, but I thought Aegon was Alicent's son anyway.

Why couldn't Rhaenyra just say "Hey, keep it under your hat, but I didn't actually kill your son, he's off somewhere living his best life."

1. This is the basis of the main conflict of the show. Viserys always insisted Rhaenyra remained his heir even though he had sons. Rhaeneyra will press her claim, and Alicent will resist it.

2. Rhaenyra named one of her sons with Daemon Aegon as well.

3. I dunno

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Phenotype posted:

Alicent's son Aegon is named after Aegon the Conqueror, who passed down the prophecy. In that moment, Viserys was talking about the original Aegon and "The Prince That Was Promised" as two separate individuals, thinking that he was answering Rhaenyra's question from earlier about whether he believes in the prophecy — and she knows the whole story about Aegon's dream after he named her as his heir and explained it at the beginning of the season.

But Alicent lacks all of that context, so she mistakenly thinks that Viserys is talking about their son Prince Aegon as the one who is destined to unite the realm against some apocalyptic threat that she knows nothing about.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Generic American posted:

I am just in awe of how this show managed to make an old guy hobbling his way across the room to sit down more triumphant and tense than the entire Battle of Winterfell. And I don't even mean that to be some snarky hyperbole -- that scene was genuinely gripping. :suspense:

I agree completely. It bodes very well for the show going forward that they can take medieval political drama and still have these "GodDAMN" moments in key episodes. The Greens had Rhaenyra over a barrel until the door opened and it was like Gandalf appearing at dawn on the third day. And given the character's extreme condition, that short walk up to the throne represented a force of will and inner strength equal to anything we've seen in armed combat. Really great episode with some really great performances.

Jace is giving some real Robb Stark energy, that kid is hosed

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

holy poo poo paddy rules

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The online discourse was definitely upset because we had spent the previous 5 episodes getting to know the actors who played young Rhaenyra and Alicent. People were saying they should have kept the same actors or just started after the time jump with those actors. Basically they weren’t even giving the new actors a chance whereas the consensus now is they’re killing it.

I could also be conflating general dislike for the time jumps (which was/is a real thing) with dislike for the new actors.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

“This is our son, Good Aegon”

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They coulda given Criston Cole a beard or something. Him and Daemon being ageless must freak everyone else out

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Phenotype posted:

That would be a profoundly stupid idea. On top of not giving Laenor sons, she would admit to his mother that she exiled the rightful heir to Driftmark, and got out of the marriage, purely for her own political ambitions. Rhaenys would have no qualms about waltzing over to the Hightower side after that.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

They coulda given Criston Cole a beard or something. Him and Daemon being ageless must freak everyone else out

Hiding that beautiful face behind a beard would be high treason

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

PostNouveau posted:

2. Rhaenyra named one of her sons with Daemon Aegon as well.

Oh ffs, I think I must have missed this and it made everything so confusing. These fuckers really need to come up with another half-dozen names that they like. It'll be okay if your son doesn't have the same name as his grandfather and his cousin, I swear.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Did she really exile him? I was under the impression he also wanted out, but maybe I'm misremembering things.

Also I really wanna jump on the bandwagon of praising Paddy Considine for his performance this episode. He was absolutely amazing.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I really appreciate that in the scene where they've laid out Vaemond's body, they tried to at least align the top of his head with the rest of him, and you can see that the sword also cut his hair when it decapitated him.

You think, "Well, yeah, magic sword, obviously," but it's a cute little production detail showing people were communicating effectively what's going on with all the props and working hard to get everything to work on screen.

Didn't quite make up for CGI tongue, but I appreciate the effort.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Daemon
Aemond
Emonda
Mondae
Ondaem
Ndaemo

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I wouldn't be surprised if Rhaenys suspects something was "off" with her son's death. Six years is enough time for her to run the events in her head and see some parts don't fit together.

Phenotype posted:

Oh ffs, I think I must have missed this and it made everything so confusing. These fuckers really need to come up with another half-dozen names that they like. It'll be okay if your son doesn't have the same name as his grandfather and his cousin, I swear.

Well maybe they should borrow names from the other kingdoms.

Ramsay Targaryen has a nice ring to it

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Daemon was truly the stepdad who stepped up

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think that there probably would've been a war of succession between the two bitterly opposed factions with very strong claims on the throne regardless of if Alicent misunderstood Viserys' opium ramblings.

Milk of the poppy sounds like a nice cool drink but it's probably just laudanaum so when these people are tossing them back they're drinking like 90% grain alcohol

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Carlosologist posted:

Daemon was truly the stepdad who stepped up

Daemon really knows where the line is to not get people too mad at him.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

rhaenerya naming her kid aegon while the other aegon was still around seems like a dick move, another larry david style grievance-goof

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

The online discourse was definitely upset because we had spent the previous 5 episodes getting to know the actors who played young Rhaenyra and Alicent. People were saying they should have kept the same actors or just started after the time jump with those actors. Basically they weren’t even giving the new actors a chance whereas the consensus now is they’re killing it.

I could also be conflating general dislike for the time jumps (which was/is a real thing) with dislike for the new actors.

I think the people who said they should have kept the same actors have now realized why having two 20-year old women as current Rhaenyra and Alicent wouldn’t really work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Zenithe posted:

As someone who works with frail and elderly folk him walking to the throne was some hardcore anxiety

When his crown fell off, and Daemon walked up and helped him up, I got misty eyed, if the stark theme from GoT for whatever reason started playing at that moment I might have teared up for sure. I just want the bros to be bros, can you see they love and respect each other, why does it have to be this way WE'RE FAMILY!