Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Jimbozig posted:

The only in-game action we know he took was to ask to go last so that any disruptive effects of his wish would not step on the other characters' moments, which shows some consideration for fellow players.

I'm pretty sure he did that only so no other player would have a wish left to counter his.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Heliotrope posted:

I'm pretty sure he did that only so no other player would have a wish left to counter his.

You know, with what we know of this group, I think you might be right. It wouldn't occur to me to do that because none of my friends I play with are the kind of dick who would use their one wish to just counter mine. It's been a very long while since I had to deal with that kind of the-rogue-stealing-from-the-party childishness. But this does sound like that kind of game.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

If she was just wrong about the fact that he was going to use his wish to gently caress her over then he's a lot more justifiably mad about it. Still nowhere near to the degree that things ended up at, of course.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

If he wasn't planning on loving her over, he probably shouldn't have telegraphed it as hard as possible without actually declaring "I will use my wish to gently caress you over after you can't do anything about it."

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Antivehicular posted:

If he wasn't planning on loving her over, he probably shouldn't have telegraphed it as hard as possible without actually declaring "I will use my wish to gently caress you over after you can't do anything about it."

There are interesting and fun ways of having character conflict, though. Ways that don't just totally screw or delete the character you're feuding with. Maybe he was thinking about doing something like that. Or maybe he wasn't. We don't get to know because she chose to just delete his character.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Right, but he wasn't threatening anything that would be interesting to play -- he was threatening to kill her warlock patron, which is pretty much a character-ender unless the campaign gets built around addressing it. Maybe that's okay for the end of a game, but by that token it's also fine for her to preemptively dumpster his dude too.

In an ideal world, these two would have actually talked to each other and the DM about their characters' respective goals and how to create a plot about it that works for them both, but it's pretty obvious these two are generally poo poo at talking to each other, so predictable_consequences.txt

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Antivehicular posted:

Right, but he wasn't threatening anything that would be interesting to play -- he was threatening to kill her warlock patron, which is pretty much a character-ender unless the campaign gets built around addressing it. Maybe that's okay for the end of a game, but by that token it's also fine for her to preemptively dumpster his dude too.

In an ideal world, these two would have actually talked to each other and the DM about their characters' respective goals and how to create a plot about it that works for them both, but it's pretty obvious these two are generally poo poo at talking to each other, so predictable_consequences.txt

Sure, I agree. But he didn't actually do it. And even if he had wished for her patron to die, it seems incredibly unlikely that the patron would just be like "ok sure," and off himself. So in-game, he is not the rear end in a top hat... except that he thinks "murderously genocidally racist" is a fun character trait. So he is also an rear end in a top hat in-game for that.

And then the "but my character was evil" she pulled instead of just saying sorry and moving on. And the gigantic days-long baby tantrum the dude pulled, complete with not coming to bed, then saying I'm not mad anymore, then getting spitting cussing mad again.

Just assholes all around, across the board. Judge Jimbozig sentences them both to stay in their lovely relationship in hopes of generating more drama and posts.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I choose to believe that the exercise on role playing is from the fact that like all posts on AITA and r/relationships, this is a fakepost.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Plutonis posted:

I choose to believe that the exercise on role playing is from the fact that like all posts on AITA and r/relationships, this is a fakepost.

yea but its fun to treat fiction as a jumping off point for further discussion

as another axis in the failure of this particular morality play, why'd the GM let that wish go through anyway. The fey would have been extremely reasonable (and fey) to go "I'm not going to destroy somebody who just saved me, even if they suck and would use their wish contrary to my purposes." That'd make sense both metagame and ingame.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I'd just say that anyone attempting to mess with a warlock patron or a paladin oath or whatever in party is always the rear end in a top hat full stop. It's not fun or interesting to be like "Hey I will kill your source of power" and it's even less fun to have a character declare that another character in the party is a problem in some way and they'll just keep trying to mess with them forever. I'd have kicked him out the moment he declared the whole "Killing your patron is an ironclad goal of mine" thing.

I'm sure a bunch of you have already had one of those players with a character built for disruption in the party. All "I don't believe in personal property" or "I'll kill anyone that doesn't adhere to my weird code" or whatever. At best a little misguided, at worst just there to be a bully with a rule shield.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 2, 2022

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I’ve always had a pre-session zero on how you all know each other and why you all decided to get along..

“We met in a tavern and we respect each others’ contributions” is fine.

This was before creating characters with bonds was thing.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, something like this was inevitable the moment player A said "My character is a fey warlock" and player B said "I will kill all the fey we meet". Alarm bells should've rung and the players should've talked it out right then and there to find a way that dynamic could end well for both characters.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Plutonis posted:

All AITA on some level do feel like the new generation of Penthouse letters.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the topic of speed/timed chess came up in the Industry thread, as one of the ways to keep chess "interesting" relative to the sheer memorization and optimized-move-ization of traditional chess

and that got me thinking: who is/are the best chess players in these blitz/bullet categories? is it still the same people?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

the topic of speed/timed chess came up in the Industry thread, as one of the ways to keep chess "interesting" relative to the sheer memorization and optimized-move-ization of traditional chess

and that got me thinking: who is/are the best chess players in these blitz/bullet categories? is it still the same people?

The wu-tang clan

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yes, it's the same people. Just not in the same order. Magnus is 5th is blitz by ELO, for instance.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Tulip posted:

Doing 3 session campaigns displays an opposing tendency towards experimentation, so y'know one step forward two steps back.

Unless, it's just that weird terminology that some people use where "campaign" means "adventure/module".

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

Firouzja won the STL rapid and blitz tourney in August. I had the good fortune to see Kasparov play in it a few years ago, pre COVID.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Dawgstar posted:

All AITA on some level do feel like the new generation of Penthouse letters.

I get the impression that the UK politician who sent the letter halfway down this page got a similar effect:
https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/letters-why-I-love-warhammer

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Anyone recall the name of the recent-ish PC game that had mechanics shamelessly taken from Blades in the Dark? I believe it was a sci-fi or cyberpunk setting, with countdown clocks and I think the actual Blades dice mechanic.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kestral posted:

Anyone recall the name of the recent-ish PC game that had mechanics shamelessly taken from Blades in the Dark? I believe it was a sci-fi or cyberpunk setting, with countdown clocks and I think the actual Blades dice mechanic.
Maybe Citizen Sleeper? It has clocks and the resolution system is kind of BitD-ish if you squint but not really.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Citizen Sleeper is a good game also, it's even on Gamepass!

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
That’s it, Citizen Sleeper! It’s good eh? Excellent, I’ll give it a shot - thanks folks!

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
are there any good games available on tabletop simulator that have AI you can play against

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

John Romero posted:

are there any good games available on tabletop simulator that have AI you can play against

Do you need it to be actual AI or like, an AI that is a series of automated resolutions? I mean both of those are the same thing the latter just has the human doing the math. If that second one is acceptable then Spirit Island has a fantastic TTS mod.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

It's been mentioned once before in the thread, but the English version of Fabula Ultima just dropped this week:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/410108/Fabula-Ultima-TTJRPG

It's a gorgeous book, and really hits the Final Fantasy vibe it's going for, everyone who likes that kind of game should take a look.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Tsilkani posted:

It's been mentioned once before in the thread, but the English version of Fabula Ultima just dropped this week:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/410108/Fabula-Ultima-TTJRPG

It's a gorgeous book, and really hits the Final Fantasy vibe it's going for, everyone who likes that kind of game should take a look.

I guess Press Start is the free tutorial edition.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Yeah, Press Start is the intro to the system, while the Load Save book that comes with it is the bridge between Press Start and the full game.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
So. It's a dice-type system. Each roll is on two of four stats, or on a single stat twice if it's really the only one that's relevant.

The first thing that happens in the walkthrough adventure is that everyone has to make a difficulty 10 check to deal with a crashing airship. Difficulty 10 is stated to be the standard for checks that aren't specifically easy or hard. The stats are dependent on what the PCs choose to do. Here are the odds of success for the first sample character, Blair.

pre:
     Dex Ins Mig Wil
Dex  16% 45% 31% 31% 
Ins  --- 64% 55% 55%
Mig  --- --- 43% 43%
Wil  --- --- --- 43%
So, most likely failure unless the player can somehow work out a way to use Insight to survive an airship crash. Any character who fails their check gets a status condition. That status condition will lower the die type of one of their stats, making future successes even less likely. If they happen to get Dazed, which affects Insight, then their best odds of succeeding at anything are now 43%.

Also, the crash itself is inevitable, but one of the sample checks suggested is "trying to repair the engine". So if the PC succeeds at this, they do not in fact repair the engine, but their attempts to repair the engine result in them being less harmed by the crash? Errr.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

hyphz posted:

Also, the crash itself is inevitable, but one of the sample checks suggested is "trying to repair the engine". So if the PC succeeds at this, they do not in fact repair the engine, but their attempts to repair the engine result in them being less harmed by the crash? Errr.
"You are able to get the engine functional enough to make it a horrible, craft-disabling landing, rather than just slapping into the side of a mountain" seems like a reasonable attempt->outcome that retains the stops on the railroad. Added bonus, maybe the engine is salvageable.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

hyphz posted:

Yeah that's not a problem. Loads of ways to go with repairing the engine resulting in less horrible carnage while still crashing the plane.

64% chance of success at an average task using your best possible skill combo seems low yeah.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
can't say I'm hugely fond of systems where failures damage your chances of future success

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Half the PCs succeeding on their checks means the ship landed such that it can be up and running again in a day, instead of a week, so yes, messing with the engine will matter even if you're crashing regardless. And the pilot gives you all recovery items at the start of the next scene. It's all part of introducing concepts from the game.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

It's probably important to set the stakes in advance for rolls like that in particular so people don't feel cheated by the results when they're announced.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Having finally had a look at the Press Start document, I'd say Fabula Ultima has three flaws:

• The difficulties for everything are maybe 1 point too high. I don't like low chance of success for starting characters.
  • It depends on the GM to keep things moving and not gently caress over the PCs because the system doesn't help. (A common problem with trad RPGs. See also the stake-setting comment above.)
  • It abbreviates to FU.

Like, it doesn't feel groundbreaking or innovative at all but it is gorgeous and I feel like it really nails the JRPG aesthetic. It'd be interesting to see how it works out in play, with full character creation and all the rest.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Leraika posted:

can't say I'm hugely fond of systems where failures damage your chances of future success

quote:

Two contestants would sit either side of a table, with a glass in front of each of them. Between them would be placed a bottle of Janx Spirit. Each of the two contestants would then concentrate their will on the bottle and attempt to tip it and pour spirit into the glass of his opponent, who would then have to drink it. The bottle would then be refilled. The game would be played again. And again. Once you started to lose you would probably keep losing, because one of the effects of Janx spirit is to depress telepsychic power.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Leraika posted:

A neat thing about how WFRP3E's wounds system and point buy system interacted was that while you'd pick up at least one wound most sessions you were also picking up a couple of points of permanent upgrades every session so while you would almost certainly have gotten mildly worse at something there was still a net overall improvement. I'm not sure how much that was intended but in practice it sidestepped the usual wounds death spiral mechanic.

And spending a few weeks in hospital was a significant power upgrade for the next module.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I just keep thinking of Tenra Bansho Zero, where taking wounds makes you stronger. If you can sell that aesthetic it neatly solves all your death spiral problems.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

potatocubed posted:

I just keep thinking of Tenra Bansho Zero, where taking wounds makes you stronger. If you can sell that aesthetic it neatly solves all your death spiral problems.

I'm usually the one who points out how great TBZ is in that specific regard lol.

It's a system that's got Some Issues otherwise but the way it handles injury and death is top-notch, especially considering it was written at a point where rusty dagger shanktown games were very common.

Fellowship is my game of choice for jrpg adventures, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

I'm well aware that not everyone cares as much about dinosaurs as I do, but this kickstarter still feels worthy of reposting simply based on the authors: a team of goddamned paleontologists (including paleoartist Mark Witton) are doing a 5e dinosaur supplement.

[...]
Nathan, who I used to teach back in his undergrad days, approached me about illustrating this book at Christmas last year knowing full well that I don't do the whole tabletop gaming thing. My entire experience with such gaming was condensed into one evening about ten years ago, so everything I know about it comes from cultural osmosis. I believe it involves a traditional fantasy setting, dice, campaigns run from behind little cardboard houses and... Jeremy Irons? He's part of this somehow.

Fortunately for us all, Nathan wasn't interested in my knowledge of RPGs. Instead, he wanted my art so he could create a 5th Edition supplement featuring modern, scientifically-informed takes on prehistoric animals. There are, I understand, already some dinosaurs in official D&D canon, but they're apparently pretty "standard" and not especially accurate to their true palaeobiology. Realising that the reality of dinosaurs is way more interesting than their pop-culture stereotypes, Nathan wants to bring a diversity of extinct animals to your campaigns, each with stats and abilities inspired by their real anatomy and hypothesised behaviours. He's also taking inspiration from palaeoenvironmental reconstructions of specific geological formations to create new, science-informed worlds for your quests to take place in. Furthermore, he's creating palaeo-based player races that should be new and interesting, not predictable and familiar. With this supplement, you'll be able to play as folks inspired by azhdarchoids or obscure ornithischians rather than generic "dinosauroids". I'm sure we're going to meet all these goals. Even writing as I am — someone totally ignorant of this vast topic — I'm pretty confident that there aren't many palaeontology 5th Edition projects being guided by four published, PhDed scientists. If you've ever felt your tabletop campaigns were lacking a Yutyrannus ambush, a surprise encounter with Gigantspinosaurus or a Microraptor player companion, this is the book for you.

To bring all this to life, Nathan has full access to my artwork portfolio and is also commissioning me to do new pieces, both of species I've not yet painted as well as new works showing adventurers interacting with scientifically-credible extinct animals. You can get a flavour of what the latter will involve from the cover, which has already been painted and (provisionally) designed, below (NB: a professional designer will be putting everything together next year, so what you see here and at Kickstarter is only indicative of the final product, not finalised book content). This piece was very much a collaborative effort: I can handle dinosaur art well enough, but Nathan's got a tight grip on the more fantastical content and is steering me accordingly. I was thoroughly told off for including an orb staff in an earlier iteration of this image, which I now understand is the tabletop adventure equivalent of legwarmers.