Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
lol I guess I touched off a nerve. Sorry everybody, I'll avoid making inaccurate, generalized statements about institutional demographics in the future.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Belarus has been saying that NATO and/or Ukraine is about to invade them for months.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

EasilyConfused posted:

Belarus has been saying that NATO and/or Ukraine is about to invade them for months.

That’s why Belarus can’t help Putin more gotta keep defending from the imminent attack!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Hyrax Attack! posted:

That would be bizarre for Ukraine to open a new front when they are making major progress elsewhere.

I believe the part about blowing up transportation links but not the invasion part because…

ded posted:

ah yes. they destroyed all of the ways to invade so they will deffo invade

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Grip it and rip it posted:

lol I guess I touched off a nerve. Sorry everybody, I'll avoid making inaccurate, generalized statements about institutional demographics in the future.

"Lmao why you all mad that I just lied to as support for my point and then argued it endlessly even when given direct proof that I was lying?" is not a good way to cover yourself in glory instead of just admitting you were wrong.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Kchama posted:

"Lmao why you all mad that I just lied to as support for my point and then argued it endlessly even when given direct proof that I was lying?" is not a good way to cover yourself in glory instead of just admitting you were wrong.

lol I definitely touched a nerve. Sorry about that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

lol I definitely touched a nerve. Sorry about that.

You absolutely do not come off as sorry is what I was getting at, and instead just like, a smug liar. And this is coming from someone who wasn't in your dumb argument at all, fyi. You didn't 'touch a nerve', you just look like a stupid rear end in a top hat and I was trying to be nice.

PS, I'm a poor rural gently caress from the South, so I'm the very demographic you're talking about.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Kchama posted:

You absolutely do not come off as sorry is what I was getting at, and instead just like, a smug liar. And this is coming from someone who wasn't in your dumb argument at all, fyi. You didn't 'touch a nerve', you just look like a stupid rear end in a top hat and I was trying to be nice.

PS, I'm a poor rural gently caress from the South, so I'm the very demographic you're talking about.

lol please don't take my posting to heart. I wasn't talking about you specifically or trying to make you upset. I appreciate your perspective on the matter and will avail to do better in the future.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
I'm sorry I derailed the thread I like the thread and Ukraine

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
edit- nah, it's been dropped, move on

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

psydude posted:

So then it's fair to say of that most of the people in the military appear to come from fairly typical economic backgrounds and a variety of locations. Which kind of goes against the myth that it's nothing but poor rural folks.

The typical economic background of America circa 2000-2022 is inequitably poor. Rural or Urban doesn't matter. They're not poor relative to the rest of the world but 66k even in lower CoL states isn't much. If you're making 80k in California you're still gonna have a hard time.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
ukraine opening a second front for no reason at all makes total sense if you think about it

you see in this powerpoint i will show the

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hey you just kinda trailed off what were you saying

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
in other news, russia is unhappy about the bridge

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1579357513455370241

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1579359020946980864

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
lol and the entire lmao

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1579390800110448640?s=20&t=yIV-mszM53LY8Ej3U4EHEw

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

How many months into the war are we?

Oh Germany. :rolleyes:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

He was sacked after his ties were exposed by the German equivalent of John Oliver btw, just in case you thought that our security services actually got around to doing anything

e: pictured: the main German counterintelligence asset

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

aphid_licker posted:

He was sacked after his ties were exposed by the German equivalent of John Oliver btw, just in case you thought that our security services actually got around to doing anything

e: pictured: the main German counterintelligence asset

Turns out comedians are super effective against Russians.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They must've seen all the discussion on whether Ukraine can truly take the moral high ground if they're sharing peoples' World of Tanks accounts

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
The absolute cheek of attacking a country, razing towns, killing thousands, destroying countless pieces of infrastructure (including bridges) and then claiming terrorism when a bridge is destroyed in return. It's ..staggering how brazen it is.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Roblo posted:

The absolute cheek of attacking a country, razing towns, killing thousands, destroying countless pieces of infrastructure (including bridges) and then claiming terrorism when a bridge is destroyed in return. It's ..staggering how brazen it is.

Did you know that fascism and persecution complex are synonymous?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

gay picnic defence posted:

Lmao

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Russia and Belarus are deploying troops to the Polish border because of "aggression".

Isn't there like an entire US brigade there right now?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

psydude posted:

Russia and Belarus are deploying troops to the Polish border because of "aggression".

Isn't there like an entire US brigade there right now?

And an entire Poland, which is probably more dangerous.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

And an entire Poland, which is probably more dangerous.

Served on a Polish FOB in Afghanistan. Can confirm.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I suspect quite a few Belarusian commanders are drinking tonight, knowing their troops were trained to the same level of quality as the ones being destroyed in Ukraine right now.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

gay picnic defence posted:

took me a minute but holy poo poo when I got there :vince:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Russians invade Poland with all available troops, invasion force is apprehended by a polish border police patrol for illegal migration and trying to steal some pants, is given hot meal following a night in the drunk tank

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

aphid_licker posted:

Russians invade Poland with all available troops, invasion force is apprehended by a polish border police patrol for illegal migration and trying to steal some pants, is given hot meal

Basically the ending to Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
If Poland just stacks enough washing machines at the border, any attack will fall apart quickly.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

CommieGIR posted:

If Poland just stacks enough washing machines at the border, any attack will fall apart quickly.

*GE enters the room*

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

3/5s of the military appear to come from households that earn less than 66k a year. Poverty may have been overstating it but it's certainly not made up of individuals from affluent families. That's not even to say that these individuals were earning that much - only that they resided in neighborhoods where that was the median income threshold.

60% of the military coming from the poorer half of households is like the mildest conceivable over representation. I’m frankly shocked it’s not more, but I expect the median military household does rather better than the median household overall so that’s maybe skewing things.

Also just lol at this forum going “yeah but 66k doesn’t go as far as you think!!!” in a thread about Ukraine of all things. It’s news_article_about_yuppie_budgeting.txt in a global context

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Why would you gently caress with Poland? You think invading Ukraine was a mistake, you ain’t seen nothing yet. I imagine it would be a bit like a pit bull getting a hold of a small child.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Raged posted:

Why would you gently caress with Poland? You think invading Ukraine was a mistake, you ain’t seen nothing yet. I imagine it would be a bit like a pit bull getting a hold of a small child.

Why would you target a hundred irreplaceable cruise missiles at Ukrainian coffee shops when your adversary is busily popping your command centers and ammunition dumps? Who loving knows with this poo poo

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

*GE enters the room*

Now the West is supplying the Polish-Ukranian compact with just most powerful general? Despicable.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
You could probably get russian soldiers to kill their chains of command if you threw in a handful of dryers and microwaves to sweeten the pot.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Raged posted:

Russia invades Poland via Belarus, within 24 hours Congress invokes Article 5 and half the US military is steaming or flying for Europe, but it's too late.

The Polish flag is already flying over the Kremlin.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Why would you target a hundred irreplaceable cruise missiles at Ukrainian coffee shops when your adversary is busily popping your command centers and ammunition dumps? Who loving knows with this poo poo

This is the same mistake the Nazis made during the Blitz: switching targets to terrorize and demoralize London's civilian population and giving the military infrastructure time to rebuild with US aid.

Didn't work that time either.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

piL posted:

Now the West is supplying the Polish-Ukranian compact with just most powerful general? Despicable.

Still out gunned by General Atomics, and more glowy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
We know General Motors is represented there from the footage shot from humvees.