Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Koskun posted:

I was at a Goodwill last week, glanced over and saw what looked like an Aeron, thinking it was a knock-off. Checked the bottom, official sticker. They had 2 bucks on it. I got it home, turns out it's a 2014 Mirra 2.

It's a pretty comfy chair.

What the actual gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Koskun posted:

I was at a Goodwill last week, glanced over and saw what looked like an Aeron, thinking it was a knock-off. Checked the bottom, official sticker. They had 2 bucks on it. I got it home, turns out it's a 2014 Mirra 2.

It's a pretty comfy chair.

A decade ago I was in a relationship with a lady who was attending a regional tech university. One day we were wandering around campus and went by a building that was being renovated. There were two (obviously fake/reproduction) plastic versions of the Eames molded armchair. You know, this one:

They were outside, in the rain, covered in dirt and with cigarette butts floating in the water collecting in their seats. Even as fakes, they deserved a better fate than this. So we dumped out the water and trash, picked them up, and walked across campus doing our best to look like we were supposed to be doing exactly what we were doing. We got 'em cleaned up. Here's mine, as of right now, in my office:

Up close, and cleaned off, we could see that they weren't plastic. They were fiberglass. Ok, so they're vintage fakes.

But when we turned them over to clean the bottoms...

Ffffffffffffffffffff!

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

mdxi posted:

A decade ago I was in a relationship with a lady who was attending a regional tech university. One day we were wandering around campus and went by a building that was being renovated. There were two (obviously fake/reproduction) plastic versions of the Eames molded armchair. You know, this one

Ffffffffffffffffffff!

I'd guess those were in the Dean or even higher-up's office originally. Then through remodels and subsequent shuffling around, they ended up still on Campus, but in a location where no one knew what they were.

As to mine. The Goodwill in question is two stores in one big building. It was originally a K-Mart for size reference. On one side is a regular ole Goodwill store, then in about 1/3 or so of the building is Goodwill Outlet. On the Outlet side they have these bins-on-wheels all around in rows. They are about 8' long, 4' wide, maybe 10" deep. As best I can tell, all the stuff in the region that doesn't sell gets sorted-ish, and then tossed into these bins. They have sections of just clothing, and then the others are the random stuff like shoes, backpacks, electronics, office stuff and the like. All this is sold by the pound, with books being $0.25 each.

In the back of the store is where they do large stuff, and for dirt cheap. Pretty much everything is $2.00. Tables, desks, vacuums, filing cabinets (from the small end-table size all the way up to full legal 4 drawer), chairs of all sorts, bikes, exercise equipment.

I've found some fun stuff there over the past year or so. I also picked up a Steelcase Criterion with that Mirra 2. I already have a Criterion, but figured a spare wouldn't hurt. And yes, also for $2.00.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Not as good a deal but I have a Vitra Eames aluminium office chair in grey hopsack I got off Ebay for £150. I really like it both aesthetically and to sit on.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

That's a pretty incredible deal imo, I'd almost want that more

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Are there any standing desks that aren't ugly?

Besides the Herman Miller Leatherwrap I mean

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I just ordered this thing which might look...okay?

The tabletop comes in 4 pieces that you assemble with metal plates and screws, which seems kinda flimsy, but I got it 33% off, so I'm alright replacing that if it turns out to be crap. If you're in Canada, it's on sale at BestBuy.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
I got this standing desk a couple of months ago... it looks ok I think

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

I finally bothered swapping my wife's corsair "lighting node" designed to go on a desk for one meant to go inside the computer. No more DC power brick cable sneaking out the back of the computer!

As a bonus I was able to get it bundled with some ridiculous RGB tiles that I wanted to try.

Edit: I have been instructed to get more tiles lol

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-LC10...208&sr=1-1&th=1

(click for big)

https://i.imgur.com/XSxnEeg.mp4

Need to set up some Spooktober RBG now. :ghost:

Pc specs:

i5 9600k with D15 cooler, black noctua fans
Strix 3080Ti
Asrock z370 killer sli
32gigs of DDR4 3200
HX750i 80+ Platinum

LL120 fans
LS100 strips
LC100 tiles

Corsair 465X Case

Graphics Card GPU Brace Support
https://a.co/d/02uYzsU

2x970 EVO SSD with NVMe Heatsinks
https://a.co/d/0lcRsT2

Phanteks 24 Pin/ 8pin (4+4) M/B, 8pin PCI-E Extension Cable Kit 500mm Length, Black/White (PH-CB-CMBO_BW) https://a.co/d/5CH7k6L

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Oct 10, 2022

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

beuges posted:

I got this standing desk a couple of months ago... it looks ok I think

thats not your desk, thats the stuff on top

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Any recommendations for budget standing-desks? I'm talking about $175-$275 price range. Doesn't need to be anything fancy, just something that can go up and down at the press of a button and not collapse on itself.

I'm looking to order one for my older parents, preferably off Amazon, and I'll put it together.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

Any recommendations for budget standing-desks? I'm talking about $175-$275 price range. Doesn't need to be anything fancy, just something that can go up and down at the press of a button and not collapse on itself.

I'm looking to order one for my older parents, preferably off Amazon, and I'll put it together.

Get the cheapest off Amazon or eBay, they’re all the same and all fine. I’ve ordered four now, no issues.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Been a while since I have posted computer stuff on these dead internet forums.

Turns out I have a bit of a computer of Theseus. It dates all the way back to the year 2000 when I built my first computer.

Sadly I don't have a picture of it in its original form, which it did not stay in all that long.

Can't remember what the specs were but probably some sub ghz Duron. I got this fancy Coolermaster ATC 101 case for building a liquid cooling system for a friend.

And now today it is relegated to being stuffed full of hard drives and playing the radio on my TV.

Got it's first set of new guts in a long time today. Ryzen 5 and a Samsung M2 SSD.

I hadn't really thought about just how old that case is until my niece who builds her own computers pointed out that the case is older than she is.

This thing is a testament of the longevity of the ATX standard. The IntelliMouse explorer 3.0 is still in use, have had to replace the switches about 3 times.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

helno posted:

Been a while since I have posted computer stuff on these dead internet forums.

Turns out I have a bit of a computer of Theseus. It dates all the way back to the year 2000 when I built my first computer.

Sadly I don't have a picture of it in its original form, which it did not stay in all that long.

Can't remember what the specs were but probably some sub ghz Duron. I got this fancy Coolermaster ATC 101 case for building a liquid cooling system for a friend.

And now today it is relegated to being stuffed full of hard drives and playing the radio on my TV.

Got it's first set of new guts in a long time today. Ryzen 5 and a Samsung M2 SSD.

I hadn't really thought about just how old that case is until my niece who builds her own computers pointed out that the case is older than she is.

This thing is a testament of the longevity of the ATX standard. The IntelliMouse explorer 3.0 is still in use, have had to replace the switches about 3 times.

Amazing

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

I used the gently caress out of this case, I had an older version pre usb plugs in the front that was with me until I picked up a ncase m1

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

My standing desk comes in today to replace this monstrosity, and I can barely contain myself.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

It's been a long road, getting from there to here.

And now

:circlefap:

I'm going to have to tidy up cables, get a replacement KVM for the work laptop, and figure out what takes out grease from carpets (thanks old-rear end chair with an insidious leak), but I am stoked to finally have some desktop real-estate for my WFH setup. I bit the bullet on a desk now, because my new office has an adjustable-height desk that I dug hard, and the deal on this one was too good to pass up. It apparently holds 150 lbs and is crank-adjustable so there's no motor to wear out.

The entire setup is still rough around the edges, but I love it. In 2021, I spent about $500 CAD putting a budget PC together with spare parts and room to expand. In 2022 I've spent about another $500 upgrading the storage, case, monitor stand, and furniture. I've been frugal every step of the way, and I'm pretty happy with all the deals I've been able to find. Maybe in 2023 I'll actually buy a GPU. :v:

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Oct 22, 2022

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Ah sweet you got one of those wrap desks, I was looking at those to replace my ikea thing. I can only adjust the height with screws, but I can't justify the purchase what I have works well enough. Yours looks like a terrific upgrade on the other hand.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Oh, that black strip? It's actually because the table came in 4 panels of different patterns. They fasten together with screws and metal plates.

It's probably to save on shipping costs. I was dubious that it was going to work well, but it's surprisingly stable, level, and solid. Unlike your Ikea one though, I'm not sure if I'd trust putting a monitor mount on this (only a stand). At the very least, the tabletop can be replaced down the road, and considering the whole thing was only $200 CAD, that's probably a fair add-on.

All that to say: it looks fancier than it is. :shobon:

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

thats not your desk, thats the stuff on top

Good point... I took a few more of the actual desk.

The desk top itself is stained African Mahogany hardwood. I got the frame and top separately. Could do with a bit more neatening on the cable management side but it works for now.

I was averaging about an hour a day at 2km/h on the treadmill before I got the flu a week ago. Aim is to get up to 5km/day at around the same pace... it's slow enough to not be distracting while working.
My previous desk is kinda visible in the background of the second picture... that's a standard "executive"-style desk which I need to figure out what to do with.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Cleaned my office up, for me, and also got rid of a computer desk. So now I have one desk, one 48" 4k, and only 2x27" in here for other monitors (I had a total of 6 before, ugh).

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

That looks like a hunter's cottage, and I'm jealous.

beuges posted:

Good point... I took a few more of the actual desk.
lol I was not expecting full on treadmill. Nice setup.

I used to laugh at the people obsessed with hoity-toity cable management. But after finding out I could get a 50-pack of Velcro cable ties for like $10, I realized tidiness is worth a half-assed effort.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 27, 2022

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

nice briefcase

are you like a hitman or something

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

I totally get that hardly anyone lugs around an attaché case anymore, but I've been using that beat up thing for like 15 years now, and it's still great for hauling poo poo to/from the office without wrecking anything.

My job still works with lots of paper documents, and having a hard surface to write on or set the laptop on is totally worthwhile—perfect for when I'm stuck in the car while the kids are at dance, or just anywhere where there's no table and I want to get work done. There's space in there for my laptop, lunch, all the poo poo I'd I'd normally have in my pockets, or even toiletries if it's gonna be a long day. Having a hinged case makes it super convenient to just throw things in and know nothing will get wrecked.

I don't care if it's the fedora of the office. My attaché case and I have been through a lot, and it's got more job experience than a good chunk of folks at work. It'll be a sad day when I eventually have to replace it.

:corsair:

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Don't worry about it, fedoras remain the fedora of the office world

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Briefcase-wanker

I needed/wanted a new nice replacement laptop and work case myself and couldn't find anything quite right. Eventually I found a montblanc briefcase half price. It's a beautiful thing and I have it with me right now in Paris.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Suddenly got a work from home gig so this happened. I will not be taking questions.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

finding out I could get a 50-pack of Velcro cable ties

Just for future reference: 1/2" x 25yd velcro tape https://smile.amazon.com/VELCRO-BRAND-ONE-WRAP-TAPE-YARD/dp/B071Y3TVNT

I've kept one of these on hand since my datacenter days. There's nothing as convenient as cut-to-fit doublesided velcro on demand.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I like the little loop holes in the pre made ones though :(

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I wasn't trying to tell anyone they were doing it wrong. More like, if you like velcro cable ties then you should also know about this.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Suddenly got a work from home gig so this happened. I will not be taking questions.

which youtuber are you

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

The loop holes are terrific until you have to adjust or remove the loving things. :argh:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

That is great. I love the CRT TV!

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

mdxi posted:

Just for future reference: 1/2" x 25yd velcro tape https://smile.amazon.com/VELCRO-BRAND-ONE-WRAP-TAPE-YARD/dp/B071Y3TVNT

I've kept one of these on hand since my datacenter days. There's nothing as convenient as cut-to-fit doublesided velcro on demand.

Thanks, I didn't really know this was a thing, and only slightly regret not doing this instead. I had to take 2 velcro ties to hold down the laptop cord that I wrapped around the power supply. It worked, but a continuous velcro strap would have been more elegant.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

SalTheBard posted:

That is great. I love the CRT TV!

Aren’t there 2 of them in the pic

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I mean yes but I only like one of them

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I just got the little Toshiba last week. When I saw it had component inputs on the back I had to get that sweet little boy home.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
I need cable management bro!!!!

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

who let you out of your cage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
rimowa knockoff spotted