Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Edward Fingerhands posted:

Happy indigenous peoples day.

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey

69420 basic bytes free

sb hermit

Ohtori Akio

Heather Papps

hello friend

legit bummed i didn't learn about first nations history pre contact in school ever. a fun thing to do is, if you're in a colonized place, look up what people lived around where you are now, and then you can do some research. there has been good scholarly work done to dismantle a lot of bad anthropology. it's mindboggling there are people in north america who aren't aware of the mounds, and that a chunk of people aware of them have crazy hosed up ideas about how it was giants or white people or aliens who actually made em.

also bummed that half the stuff i did learn in school turned out to be untrue.

lotta words to say happy indigenous peoples day to my pals down south (canada's is in the summer)

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Manifisto

ty nesamdoom!

DaChurl

I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing.

Walla posted:

Also I completely forgot to take my Wellbutrin today so maybe I'll have time to stop at the house before I head out on my route but if not I'm going to miss today and I'm not sure how that's going to affect me. gently caress.

Oh hey, medication buddy!

Based solely on my personal experience I'd say 1) holy poo poo good job realizing you actually forgot your meds in a timely manner instead of just looking at the pill sorter tomorrow morning and realizing yesterday's pills are still there and 2) don't stress. If you've got time, sure go get it, but missing one day shouldn't hit you too hard. If you want you could even take your dose after work just to try and keep the levels closer over time. Unless you think it'll gently caress with your sleep or something. But yeah, take a deep breath, you're good.

xcheopis

Heather Papps posted:

legit bummed i didn't learn about first nations history pre contact in school ever. a fun thing to do is, if you're in a colonized place, look up what people lived around where you are now, and then you can do some research. there has been good scholarly work done to dismantle a lot of bad anthropology. it's mindboggling there are people in north america who aren't aware of the mounds, and that a chunk of people aware of them have crazy hosed up ideas about how it was giants or white people or aliens who actually made em.

also bummed that half the stuff i did learn in school turned out to be untrue.

lotta words to say happy indigenous peoples day to my pals down south (canada's is in the summer)

Strongly recommend this book and just about anything else from their site:
https://oyate.org/index.php/resources/44-resources/a-broken-flute

I'm also slowly acquiring books about the people who first lived here (just bought Flutes of Fire). Also, too, if I hear one more person do the "They were called Mound People because..." "joke" I might burst into flame from rage.

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

B33rChiller

DaChurl posted:

Oh hey, medication buddy!

Based solely on my personal experience I'd say 1) holy poo poo good job realizing you actually forgot your meds in a timely manner instead of just looking at the pill sorter tomorrow morning and realizing yesterday's pills are still there and 2) don't stress. If you've got time, sure go get it, but missing one day shouldn't hit you too hard. If you want you could even take your dose after work just to try and keep the levels closer over time. Unless you think it'll gently caress with your sleep or something. But yeah, take a deep breath, you're good.
Same here. Different, but similar meds and dosing sched. The advice I was given from experts was to try to take it the same time each day, but a few hours offset one way or the other shouldn't be such a big deal (ie, if forgot at reg time, take it later, within same day. Don't double up if you're closer to the next dose though.)
Specifically for sleep disruption, wellbutrin, or the quit smoking variant absolutely wrecked me. The most incredibly realistic feeling dreams that felt more real to me while I was in them than real life does day to day. Yet I would find myself doing impossible things like driving 2 cars simultaneously. (Sat in 2 vehicles at once).
That's fine and dandy when it's a fun dream, but nightmares and terrors have always been more my style. They don't need to be more believable.
Then I would wake far more confused and unsure about the world than when I was off the drugs.
Sort of like a hyper magnified version of going to sleep with a fresh nicotine patch on. Ooh boy, that's a ride too.

:trashed:

Dr. Honked posted:

the junk, rather than the trunk
Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
On Saturday my buddy and I went to OzFest in Missouri (no relation to the bat-eater). It's a week-long amateur firework builder conference. They spend the whole week building crazy fireworks and then on Saturday they blow them up. Builders from all over the world come out. It's all Fed sanctioned and there's a lot of firefighter coverage there. But I still feel like they placed us pretty close to the blast zone. Every ten minutes or so they had to pause the event so the fire department could respond to multiple fires that were being started in the fields and woods lol. It was nuts.

But one of the cooler parts of the event was the other pyro stuff they did. They had huge gasoline jets set up choreographed to the fireworks that were just cooking everyone in the first couple rows. These things shot mushroom clouds into the sky about 50'. They also had fire dancers out performing during the show.

I was shooting long-exposure stuff with my big camera on a tripod, with an intervalometer. But I also took photos with my phone. Those gas jets were so bright that it actually hosed with my phone sensor. You can see the purple fringing at the bottom corners from the light overpowering the sensor cells.

The ridiculous part of this fireworks show was that they didn't launch the mortars as high as you normally do. Most of them went off within 100' of the ground which was neat but dangerous as all hell lol.

Viginti Septem fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 10, 2022

https://i.imgur.com/9jTkSUL.mp4
Thanks to vanisher for the paradise sig! :)

B33rChiller

Viginti Septem posted:

It's a week-long amateur firework builder conference.
I'll take "Sentences guaranteed to ruin your insurance coverage for 600 please."

But that is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

I spent a couple hours singing the silliest nonsense into the mic, and running the byob reggae frome my phone into the mix to test out signals and connections. I want to be able to record some of these doots, and do a little video, but I'm figuring this out through trial and errors, and keep getting distracted just playing silly stuff. Fun times. Might actually have something to share at some point.

Dr. Honked posted:

xcheopis

Viginti Septem posted:

On Saturday my buddy and I went to OzFest in Missouri (no relation to the bat-eater). It's a week-long amateur firework builder conference. They spend the whole week building crazy fireworks and then on Saturday they blow them up. Builders from all over the world come out. It's all Fed sanctioned and there's a lot of firefighter coverage there. But I still feel like they placed us pretty close to the blast zone. Every ten minutes or so they had to pause the event so the fire department could respond to multiple fires that were being started in the fields and woods lol. It was nuts.

But one of the cooler parts of the event was the other pyro stuff they did. They had huge gasoline jets set up choreographed to the fireworks that were just cooking everyone in the first couple rows. These things shot mushroom clouds into the sky about 50'. They also had fire dancers out performing during the show.

I was shooting long-exposure stuff with my big camera on a tripod, with an intervalometer. But I also took photos with my phone. Those gas jets were so bright that it actually hosed with my phone sensor. You can see the purple fringing at the bottom corners from the light overpowering the sensor cells.

The ridiculous part of this fireworks show was that they didn't launch the mortars as high as you normally do. Most of them went off within 100' of the ground which was neat but dangerous as all hell lol.

Fantastic photos, as expected from you. :)
Fireworks are awesome!

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

B33rChiller posted:

I'll take "Sentences guaranteed to ruin your insurance coverage for 600 please."

But that is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

I spent a couple hours singing the silliest nonsense into the mic, and running the byob reggae frome my phone into the mix to test out signals and connections. I want to be able to record some of these doots, and do a little video, but I'm figuring this out through trial and errors, and keep getting distracted just playing silly stuff. Fun times. Might actually have something to share at some point.

Tooling around is the best way to learn the stuff that you eventually put into a real project. Keep dooting!

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

xcheopis posted:

Fantastic photos, as expected from you. :)
Fireworks are awesome!

Meh, those are the phone pics, and the b+w one was edited on the phone, so it's kinda sketch. I'm just now getting them loaded into Lightroom.

I think the long exposure ones will be a bit too long of exposure. I did 10sec shots, but really could/should have done much less time. The phone shots look the best at 1/45sec but the overall quality of the Samsun S22 camera sensor sucks compared to my Sony a7Riii. Oh well, live and learn.

But thank you.

Buddy let me borrow his 12-24mm Sony lens for the event :drool:

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
Here's a shot from the Sony. You can see the fire dancer in the foreground, and the full moon adding a teal color to the sky. Also, Jupiter is just above the moon.

Heather Papps

hello friend

never thought i'd see a photo of phireworks that is both grim, true and extremely kvlt

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

Heather Papps posted:

never thought i'd see a photo of phireworks that is both grim, true and extremely kvlt

You like the b+w, eh?

Bad Video Games

Heather Papps posted:

i'm no doctor but i have taken a lot of medicines. if you have a threshold level built up in your system one day should destroy you but if i were you i'd make a point of stopping at home and getting the meds, even if it makes you a little bit late.

e: according to wikipedia the half life is anywhere from 11 hours to 30+ so i guess it depends on your formulation and also i have never thought of half life in terms of metabolizing chemicals but that is interesting and makes sense.

I definitely went back. I live 3 miles from work, so I just called it my lunch break. :)

Heather Papps

hello friend

Viginti Septem posted:

You like the b+w, eh?

i really do! a while ago i posted a weirdo memory about an old girlfriend who was a photographer, and me being a weirdo about the art. the point is i have very much come around on photography as an art form. my dad is very, very into photography and i think part of my youthful weirdness about it was a result of that.

the art form i understand and participate in is writing, but it's the same situation in that you are framing the story by choosing to tell it. taking pictures is cool but taking truly artful photographs is something that feels rare these days.

Walla posted:

I definitely went back. I live 3 miles from work, so I just called it my lunch break. :)

excellent. i'm on olanzapine which pretty much just stops manic episodes from happening. there have been times i've run out where even though nothing is happening that would precipitate a manic episode i worry quite a bit.

Ass-penny

Ass-penny

Also sometime in the last few years I was told how negatively fireworks effect wildlife, and now that's all I can think about when I think about fireworks. Good pictures tho vs. I drove for work yesterday and thought that had to be a planet just past the moon, thanks for confirming.

Heather Papps

hello friend

rear end-penny posted:

Also sometime in the last few years I was told how negatively fireworks effect wildlife, and now that's all I can think about when I think about fireworks. Good pictures tho vs. I drove for work yesterday and thought that had to be a planet just past the moon, thanks for confirming.

got some bad news for you about streetlights and cities in general

Andoman

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

Viginti Septem posted:

Here's a shot from the Sony. You can see the fire dancer in the foreground, and the full moon adding a teal color to the sky. Also, Jupiter is just above the moon.

That shot is amazing

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

Viginti Septem posted:

Now this is a cool rear end photo, goddamn

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

xcheopis

Heather Papps posted:

I have read far too many "game system" manhwa and was expecting monsters to be pouring out of the circles of light, while a crowd below stares in shock.

Ass-penny

Heather Papps posted:

got some bad news for you about streetlights and cities in general

Obviously those things negatively effect wildlife too but I reckon it's a bit more gentle than literal explosions.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

Andoman posted:

That shot is amazing

Saoshyant posted:

Now this is a cool rear end photo, goddamn

Thank you!

Heather Papps

hello friend

rear end-penny posted:

Obviously those things negatively effect wildlife too but I reckon it's a bit more gentle than literal explosions.

it's an unbyob discussion but pretty much everything we do has a negative effect on wildlife. roads are responsible for more insect/animal death than is possible to count.

but also i'm being defensive of skysplosions, which i enjoy very much. they are also really bad as far as putting chems in the air but then i think about the steel plant in the sault and i just kinda shrug.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

rear end-penny posted:

Sorry, I missed this post. I agree with the empathy for nature. I, personally, would rather the animals not have to deal with that crap.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

Heather Papps posted:

it's an unbyob discussion but pretty much everything we do has a negative effect on wildlife. roads are responsible for more insect/animal death than is possible to count.

but also i'm being defensive of skysplosions, which i enjoy very much. they are also really bad as far as putting chems in the air but then i think about the steel plant in the sault and i just kinda shrug.

So, a thread from my journey is: capture as art as much as possible the terribleness of humans.

Heather Papps

hello friend

Viginti Septem posted:

So, a thread from my journey is: capture as art as much as possible the terribleness of humans.

humans are the best and worst things on this big ol planet! we are so good and kind and sweet but also so calculating and apathetic and cruel. also that the human condition is transformative. we process tasty food and drink into piss in poo poo but also piss and poo poo circumstances into funny jokes and lovely paintings and powerful stories.

there is such a thing as toxic positivism but i have looked at myself soberly and considered it and i don't think that's what i am, at least i hope not.

humans can be terrible, but i don't think my posting pals are, or even most of the people i've met. this is a larger thing but i think the problem with humanity is we are not designed to operate at scale.

anyways friends i hope you are doing well, winter is coming (unless you're in another hemisphere), and poo poo is gonna get tough.

B33rChiller

Mmmm. Agreed all round, and happy indigenous peoples day too.
I shot my video, and got frustrated trying to use my laptop bundled video editor to sync and trim the audio. Got it close, but can't find a way to strip the camera audio, so we get some sound on sound clean vocals from me added to my mangling.
Hope youtube does powerful normalizing and compressing, because I seem to habitually end up pouring on all the gain, chasing harsh sounds. Ends up washing out a lot of the sound, and makes it pretty loud.
We'll see when it's done rendering and then how long it takes to upload.

Dr. Honked posted:

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

Heather Papps posted:

humans are the best and worst things on this big ol planet! we are so good and kind and sweet but also so calculating and apathetic and cruel. also that the human condition is transformative. we process tasty food and drink into piss in poo poo but also piss and poo poo circumstances into funny jokes and lovely paintings and powerful stories.

there is such a thing as toxic positivism but i have looked at myself soberly and considered it and i don't think that's what i am, at least i hope not.

humans can be terrible, but i don't think my posting pals are, or even most of the people i've met. this is a larger thing but i think the problem with humanity is we are not designed to operate at scale.

anyways friends i hope you are doing well, winter is coming (unless you're in another hemisphere), and poo poo is gonna get tough.

I'll clarify a bit. Humans are capable of terribleness with their actions and if they do happen to produce bad, then I want to explore it.

Humans are also capable of goodness and art is a part of that. It's a give and take energy, so if someone gives ugliness, I look to balance it with beauty.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

B33rChiller posted:

Mmmm. Agreed all round, and happy indigenous peoples day too.
I shot my video, and got frustrated trying to use my laptop bundled video editor to sync and trim the audio. Got it close, but can't find a way to strip the camera audio, so we get some sound on sound clean vocals from me added to my mangling.
Hope youtube does powerful normalizing and compressing, because I seem to habitually end up pouring on all the gain, chasing harsh sounds. Ends up washing out a lot of the sound, and makes it pretty loud.
We'll see when it's done rendering and then how long it takes to upload.

What are you editing with?

Heather Papps

hello friend

i need to buy some new sewing needles. i just spent way too long trying to thread one while doing some mending and there must be better needles than the lovely ones i have. does anyone have recommendations?

B33rChiller

Viginti Septem posted:

What are you editing with?
whatever comes along with windows 11. I'm looking to just cobble something together, and avoid installing and having to learn any more new software. This is also my approach to DAWs. Cakewalk as just a recorder, and don't learn any of the complicated stuff. Just mess with things that are more immediate, and not have to bother menu diving.

anywhoo, here's what I've been up to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89uioqY9m_g

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

Here's a clip shoutout to Goons Are Great
https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkxw6hACgp84zjf7c4LweE7Paphtohksbl8

Dr. Honked posted:

Bad Video Games

Heather Papps posted:

excellent. i'm on olanzapine which pretty much just stops manic episodes from happening. there have been times i've run out where even though nothing is happening that would precipitate a manic episode i worry quite a bit.

It's supposed to help with my anxiety and depression. I only started it Friday so I think it's working? Maybe? I definitely feel different, but I'm not sure about better.

biosterous

dinner at my inlaws yesterday and lunch with my folks today and i am full of good food and fun times. might have overdid it a bit because when i got home at like 4pm i went right to bed until 7, not asleep the whole time but definitely out of it the whole time

i also got to spend time with my BIL's dog and my parent's cat and i'll post pics at some point i promise

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
my power just came back on. 17 days, no heat, no running water, no fridge, no sony playstation. gently caress a doodle doo. heck. dang

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER