Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Yes, Amazon broke something it seems. (Probably deliberately, tbh.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
I read the first two books of Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive and boy howdy do they suck

Sanderson's poetry alone would, in a better world, be punished with some form of public flogging

The bit about the slave race (who are black) being secret vessels of the world-ending dark lord or whatever, and their subsequent revolt being apocalyptic, is truly remarkable. A-grade racecrafting

edit: do not loving tell me that on page 872 of book five it explains this in a way to not be comically racist

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 18, 2022

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

I read the first two books of Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive and boy howdy do they suck

Sanderson's poetry alone would, in a better world, be punished with some form of public flogging

The bit about the slave race (who are black) being secret vessels of the world-ending dark lord or whatever, and their subsequent revolt being apocalyptic, is truly remarkable. A-grade racecrafting

edit: do not loving tell me that on page 872 of book five it explains this in a way to not be comically racist

welcome back to the book barn

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

A human heart posted:

"yeah, and then i sat in a booth and read a book out for 40 hours. it was really dull and nothing else happened."

I auditioned to read, or at least read certain characters' dialogues, a book once in another life, and can confirm

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Hey there, I don't know where to ask this so I figured I would try here.

I downloaded a free audiobook and added it to my Spotify account. Now I want Spotify to treat it as a podcast instead of a song so that if I need to stop it, it won't start back at the beginning. I've tried googling it and all I'm getting is how to upload a podcast to Spotify for download.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

BigRed0427 posted:

I downloaded a free audiobook and added it to my Spotify account.

Why use Spotify when there are better audiobook players out there?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Armauk posted:

Why use Spotify when there are better audiobook players out there?

What are they, incidentally?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Pretty sure even something like VLC or any regular degular mp3 player will support resume on pause

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Rand Brittain posted:

On android, I like Smart Audiobook Player.

On iphone, the options aren't great. Apple really doesn't want you to just play mp3s. You can add the book with itunes and sync it with your phone or run a plex server, put your books on it and then use Prologue to play them.

On windows, Music Bee is a good option. VLC doesn't keep track of where you left off unless you save a bookmark.

On linux Cozy is terrific.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking to get a replacement e-reader for my ancient Kindle. It would probably have to be anothe4r Kindle because I've bought quite a few e-books at Jeff Bezos' Evil Emporium since it's by far the most convenient way of getting them where I live. Anyhow, any tips on good ones or what features are good/useless? Basically all I need is for it to not hurt my eyes and last for a decent while.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

anilEhilated posted:

I'm looking to get a replacement e-reader for my ancient Kindle. It would probably have to be anothe4r Kindle because I've bought quite a few e-books at Jeff Bezos' Evil Emporium since it's by far the most convenient way of getting them where I live. Anyhow, any tips on good ones or what features are good/useless? Basically all I need is for it to not hurt my eyes and last for a decent while.

i like my kobo (i don't even remember the model, the cheapest one), it's very similar in form factor to the kindle but the company seems ever so slightly less evil

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

anilEhilated posted:

I'll probably be in the minority but since getting a Kindle Oasis I can't imagine going back to a plastic Kindle. It's so much better built and feels amazing in the hand. High quality physical page-turn buttons which I hugely prefer to screen-tap or the mushy pseudo-physical buttons on my previous Kindle Paperwhite. You can adjust the light temperature and intensity, my old Kindle's light was much too blue. The difference in the hand is like a high end iPhone vs a $200 plastic case Android. But it starts at $249 for the 8 gb version, so it's much pricier than the mainstream Paperwhite.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 23, 2022

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Rand Brittain posted:

For iOS:

MP3AudiobookPlayer (the paid version is worth it)

BookPlayer (free)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'll check out some of these options!

The main problem with VLC is that the Android version doesn't support chapters and therefore using M4B files with it is a pain.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

anilEhilated posted:

The new Oasis might get announced on September 28th. Might be worth keeping an eye out? Also old versions will probably be available for cheaper.

regulargonzalez posted:

I'll probably be in the minority but since getting a Kindle Oasis I can't imagine going back to a plastic Kindle. It's so much better built and feels amazing in the hand. High quality physical page-turn buttons which I hugely prefer to screen-tap or the mushy pseudo-physical buttons on my previous Kindle Paperwhite. You can adjust the light temperature and intensity, my old Kindle's light was much too blue. The difference in the hand is like a high end iPhone vs a $200 plastic case Android.

Same

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Plus kindle will be recognizing the epub format soon.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

You can download the Kindle app on any Android or iOS device and read all those books on them and/or you can use Calibre to deDRM them and read them on whatever, so Kindle isn't your only option.

I read a lot of fancy pdfs so I went back to 10" Android tablets for my reading. Eink is better for a) long battery life b) reading outdoors in the sun glare and c) having a dedicated device that won't tempt you to play match-3 instead. A cheapo bang-for-buck Android tablet is better for flexibility, better UI and being able to do other poo poo on the device that will cost a similar amount of money to the eink device. Personally, I don't notice a difference in eye strain, but my eyesight is admittedly already pretty hosed.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Megazver posted:

You can download the Kindle app on any Android or iOS device and read all those books on them and/or you can use Calibre to deDRM them and read them on whatever, so Kindle isn't your only option.

I read a lot of fancy pdfs so I went back to 10" Android tablets for my reading. Eink is better for a) long battery life b) reading outdoors in the sun glare and c) having a dedicated device that won't tempt you to play match-3 instead. A cheapo bang-for-buck Android tablet is better for flexibility, better UI and being able to do other poo poo on the device that will cost a similar amount of money to the eink device. Personally, I don't notice a difference in eye strain, but my eyesight is admittedly already pretty hosed.

I read most of my books on my ipad, with the built in books app. Epub support, big as hell text, scroll through everything, keep books synced with phone. It all works. I have a paperwhite that I love the idea of, but in practice, I never use it. I don't think I've charged it in over a year.

You can use the google play books app (can add your own books) on android and ios and keep everything synced between them too.

Certainly for some people e-ink is preferred and I get that but just wanted to echo that the experience on a tablet is pretty great nowadays.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

What’a the best order to read Terry Pratchet’s Guards stuff? Sam Vines and Carrot are fun characters.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
lol

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I read them in a near random order when I was younger. Pratchett does a good job of reintroducing the characters in each book. So just grab whatever’s closest.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

LLSix posted:

What’a the best order to read Terry Pratchet’s Guards stuff? Sam Vines and Carrot are fun characters.

Publication order, IMO. You can read them in any order but each book builds on the preceding ones.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

And here I was wondering which order I wanted to read Banks' Culture novels.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1577126864631783424?s=20&t=FojNdxuOSM-JLm7ChjLAbw

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
What is the best or most widely preferred electronic book reading device? Remarkable 2?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

lite_sleepr posted:

What is the best or most widely preferred electronic book reading device? Remarkable 2?

I think the Remarkable is mostly just good for writing.

You want the Kindle Paperwhite/Oasis or some flavour of Kobo

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

101 posted:

I think the Remarkable is mostly just good for writing.

You want the Kindle Paperwhite/Oasis or some flavour of Kobo

Yes looks like it's terrific for notes, writing, or doodling dicks.

I think I have a very early edition of a Paperwhite, but it's old and slow/laggy and has adds. Just really showing its age

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 6, 2022

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

lite_sleepr posted:

Yes looks like it's terrific for notes, writing, or doodling dicks.

I think I have a very early edition of a Paperwhite, but it's old and slow/laggy and has adds. Just really showing its age

Amazon has a pretty sweet deal that might interest you. If you trade in an old Kindle (not sure how far back it goes, but it's pretty far) you get a bit of money for it based on the value but also 20% off a new Kindle regardless of age.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

lite_sleepr posted:

From literally this same page

regulargonzalez posted:

I'll probably be in the minority but since getting a Kindle Oasis I can't imagine going back to a plastic Kindle. It's so much better built and feels amazing in the hand. High quality physical page-turn buttons which I hugely prefer to screen-tap or the mushy pseudo-physical buttons on my previous Kindle Paperwhite. You can adjust the light temperature and intensity, my old Kindle's light was much too blue. The difference in the hand is like a high end iPhone vs a $200 plastic case Android. But it starts at $249 for the 8 gb version, so it's much pricier than the mainstream Paperwhite.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

regulargonzalez posted:

From literally this same page

Thanks for quoting from literally this same page.

101 posted:

Amazon has a pretty sweet deal that might interest you. If you trade in an old Kindle (not sure how far back it goes, but it's pretty far) you get a bit of money for it based on the value but also 20% off a new Kindle regardless of age.

That's rad! I traded my old paperwhite for the latest kindle oasis, and threw in a canvas cover! Should be here Saturday.

E: woo boy did I get a lemon. Amazon sent a new one and it's pretty great so far.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 11, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm currently reading Snow Falling on Cedars and getting pissed about how much it loving sucks.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I think I got to the sex scene where the author clearly didn't know what "mono no aware" means and decided I'd gotten as much hate-reading comedy value as I was gonna get

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I'm currently reading Snow Falling on Cedars and getting pissed about how much it loving sucks.

Switch it up and read something good. I recommend the Master and Margarita

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gaius Marius posted:

Switch it up and read something good. I recommend the Master and Margarita

Unfortunately I have to read it for class. As soon as I'm done I'm going back to Warhammer novels.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Tell me about your USMC Funko pops

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Two questions. Is there going to be a thread or a something for the new cormac McCarthy book coming out next week? Kinda hoping to internet discuss as I read.

Second, not sure if this is :files: or not but is there a good way to get zlib epub books onto a kindle?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Proust Malone posted:

Two questions. Is there going to be a thread or a something for the new cormac McCarthy book coming out next week? Kinda hoping to internet discuss as I read.

Second, not sure if this is :files: or not but is there a good way to get zlib epub books onto a kindle?

bruh this is a forum you can just make a thread

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Proust Malone posted:

is there a good way to get zlib epub books onto a kindle?

Calibre helps you do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

But Kindle’s mailing system now accepts epubs. So don’t convert them, just email them to your Kindle. They gave up on mobi a few months ago.