Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Finished building the Galaxy Explorer yesterday and it's a fantastic set, it uses a lot of modern techniques to create the chunky, angular set it was inspired by. Highly recommend it, looks like it's still on sale at Walmart for $75.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mastershakeman posted:

How do I best use part 2540 Plate, Modified 1 x 2 with Bar Handle on Side - Free Ends? I have a hundred of them and just can’t make them work when making little ships and vehicles with my kid for anything like food down wings. I can use 48336 easily but run out of them immediately. I have a million 1x1s with vertical and horizontal clips, but barely any 1x2s with either single or dual clips to pair with the 2540

In other news I’m still building the Sesame Street with my wife and my mind was blown doing the hooper store sign, where a 4081 1x1 plate headlight piece got used to flip the stud orientation and leave the plate sticking out. I’ve been using this piece since the 80s and never thought to do that.

I saw them used in a stack to make like a ladder/a bumpy texture in something (death star trench run?) And it had a very satisfying feeling against the thumb

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Reminder that double VIP starts on the 10th, with a new GWP on the 14th

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Does anyone know how these sites are getting calendars? Didn't LEGO stop publishing them? So how do people find this stuff out in advance?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Flyinglemur posted:

Well not with that altitude it won't

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Just built the new AT-TE, it’s actually a pretty good improvement over the previous one in terms of seating, closing up gaps, and the look of the legs. Probably the only thing I think was a step backward is the way the rear hatch opens up, but I assume it was a choice between doing it the old way and having a little ladder or the way it is now and having a better exterior look.

Minifig selection is good too, getting Cody and a gunner this time around. I hope they put out a battle pack so I can fill up the rest of the seating.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

RatHat posted:

Reminder that double VIP starts on the 10th, with a new GWP on the 14th

When does Ray the Castaway last until?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

mastershakeman posted:

How do I best use part 2540 Plate, Modified 1 x 2 with Bar Handle on Side - Free Ends? I have a hundred of them and just can’t make them work when making little ships and vehicles with my kid for anything like food down wings. I can use 48336 easily but run out of them immediately. I have a million 1x1s with vertical and horizontal clips, but barely any 1x2s with either single or dual clips to pair with the 2540
If you want to use it for spaceship wings, yeah, 11476 is the natural pairing. If you're low on those, here are some other thoughts:

1. Use 35480 or 41677 to make a simple double-jointed hinge. This will allow you to burn more of the handle plates, too, since this technique uses 2 per joint!

2. Basically the same thing, but with 2 or 3 battle droid arms, creates interesting texture and allows for a low profile double joint that can hide panels flush to the bodywork of your spaceships. Good for hidden doors or weaponry!

3. SNOT with vertical clip plates. This piece is great for this because if you attach a vertical clip plate to each end of the handle, the space between is exactly 1 brick / 3 stacked plates.

Here's a super quick-n-dirty little... spaceship... thing that uses 6 of those plates with handle.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Carbohydrates posted:

If you want to use it for spaceship wings, yeah, 11476 is the natural pairing. If you're low on those, here are some other thoughts:

1. Use 35480 or 41677 to make a simple double-jointed hinge. This will allow you to burn more of the handle plates, too, since this technique uses 2 per joint!

2. Basically the same thing, but with 2 or 3 battle droid arms, creates interesting texture and allows for a low profile double joint that can hide panels flush to the bodywork of your spaceships. Good for hidden doors or weaponry!

3. SNOT with vertical clip plates. This piece is great for this because if you attach a vertical clip plate to each end of the handle, the space between is exactly 1 brick / 3 stacked plates.

Here's a super quick-n-dirty little... spaceship... thing that uses 6 of those plates with handle.

Awesome, thank you. I had thought of the battle droid arms but had used mine up on a little dino raptor. The 1x2 rounded plate and the snot brick are both great ideas

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

The_Doctor posted:

When does Ray the Castaway last until?

Until the other GWP starts on the 14th, assuming supplies last

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I want to enter the timeline where Carbs decides to work for LEGO.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty

Waltzing Along posted:

I want to enter the timeline where Carbs decides to work for LEGO.

50 Speed Champions sets a year as God intended.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

I think you just designed a background ship for a 90s Star Wars space sim. It'd be called a Maraudian Gunship or something.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

US Lego.com just put a bunch of sets on sale, most at 20% off, including Optimus Prime, last years Lunar New Year sets, Sonic, and more. Double VIP points are currently up, Ray the Castaway is still available, and if you're into that kind of thing Rakuten has 10% cash back available for Lego.com on Non-Exclusive sets.

If anyone here wants The Justifier but can't justify the price I've seen them going for ~$125 NISB shipped on eBay if you're patient and look for poorly timed listings.

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

The GWP differ from region to region. I got 2 GWP sets, Ray the Castaway and Santa's Front Yard, in the EU with my order.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Huh, interesting. I wonder if this is going to be another Sandwich Shop kinda thing. Well you got me to check my confirmation email and it turns out that I also got the Halloween VIP bag even though it wasn't mentioned anywhere during my buying process. Neat.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Anyone get City of Lanterns? Seems a bit pricey but I'm guessing it got the 20% grift in August.

I was thinking of getting it to build this:

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-114840/BrickAtive/gas-station/#details

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Remembered the double vip started today and unfortunately Ray is no longer offered as a GWP :(

I really wanted one of those too, dang.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
It might come back! The sail ship and some other cool GWP made return appearances.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
If the advertised GWP is all gone and you make a purchase, will the replace it with something else? I also wanted the castaway set and was waiting for today to buy anything. The AT-TE is backordered now too, if you make a purchase on a backordered item I'm assuming you don't get the 2x points if it isn't back in stock until after the promotion is over?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Fingers McLongDong posted:

If the advertised GWP is all gone and you make a purchase, will the replace it with something else? I also wanted the castaway set and was waiting for today to buy anything. The AT-TE is backordered now too, if you make a purchase on a backordered item I'm assuming you don't get the 2x points if it isn't back in stock until after the promotion is over?

If the GWP is gone, you don't get anything. If you are able to order something, you get whatever is available now, and they ship the rest later. So let's say I order two sets one is in stock and one is not. If both sets together gets above the price requirement to get a GWP, they will ship the in stock set and the GWP now, and then ship the other set when it is in stock. If you cancel the other set later, I think they make you pay for the value of the GWP.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Fingers McLongDong posted:

No, you don't get something else if a GWP goes out of stock.
If you pre-order/backorder a set, you only get the GWP that was available at the time you ordered (if there was one), not the one that's going when the order ships.
You'll get double VIP points if you order during the promotion, even if the order doesn't ship until after it, even if it's weeks or months after. But you don't get double VIP if you order before the promotion and your order ships during it.

I know you didn't ask about the middle one, but these are some of the most common questions I get about this stuff at work, so I threw it in anyway.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I'll head over to my local Lego store tomorrow and see if they're running those prices at retail (also they may have some Rays still)

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Decided to get the new Christmas tree and the Sanctum at my local store. They had one Ray left!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Double points + 15% rakuten back +possibly 5% from paypal, I think. That's a big discount. Add that to 40% off for the barcelona stadium and that is roughly 70% off a 5000 piece set. Crazy.

---

Just saying again: if you want to get something, just get it. Waiting for double points is nice, but there is no guarantee what you want will still be available. For me, the $6 I would have gained by waiting for double points was not worth the risk of not getting the Ray set.

---

Walmart has had the T2 VW Van coming and going in/out of stock for $90 today w/ 10% rakuten. A smoking hot deal if you luck out and get it.

---

I keep looking at my wish list and debating whether I want any of it badly enough right now for the 25% discount of sorts. 15% back from Rakuten at the end of the quarter is nice. And 10% bonus bucks to buy more LEGO crap is cool and feeds the addiction.

I'd be much happier with a straight 25% discount on the item. That's one of the nice things about Targets Red card. It's just 5% off everything. No cash back. No cash later. Just discount now.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

BaconCopter posted:

US Lego.com just put a bunch of sets on sale, most at 20% off, including Optimus Prime, last years Lunar New Year sets, Sonic, and more. Double VIP points are currently up, Ray the Castaway is still available, and if you're into that kind of thing Rakuten has 10% cash back available for Lego.com on Non-Exclusive sets.

If anyone here wants The Justifier but can't justify the price I've seen them going for ~$125 NISB shipped on eBay if you're patient and look for poorly timed listings.

I ordered the Sonic set (and the Ninjago Nya Samurai X Mech set :cheeky:) last night and was early enough to get Ray. Thanks for posting this.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

What is this Rakuten thing?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Zedd posted:

Free cash back for shopping. Just search Rakuten. Unless you want to give someone a referral bonus then PM me and I'll send you an invite.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Zedd posted:

I used a youtuber's referral code to get a free $30 off of my first purchase of $30 or more. I'm not sure if that's available from every kind of referral but I highly recommend getting the extra $30 if possible. I got an Inquisitor Scythe and Ambush on Ferrix for ~170 before tax, then 10% (only some people got 15%) cash back on non exclusives Lego through Rakuten added with the flat $30 cash back from the offer so, if it all works as I believe it should, there's $47 coming back to my PayPal in the future bringing the cost down to $123 + full tax. Then with the $17 worth of VIP points, Ray the Castaway, and the Halloween VIP bag, I feel like I got a pretty drat good deal.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Gotta say, it's a slick grift for a youtuber to get people to use their referral code. Could easily make thousands off one video.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Oh yeah definitely, it'd be a sick sponsorship to get offered. And just to be clear, the youtuber was sponsored by Rakuten which is why I'm not sure if the $30 off is available for every personal code. WhatNot has been handing out $15 vouchers through some youtuber sponsorships as well, which I used to heavily discount a lot of 10x new Stormtroopers for the Imperial Tech Base MOC that I've been slowly working on.

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 11, 2022

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Thread could stand to be a little spookier:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I love it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Waltzing Along posted:

Free cash back for shopping. Just search Rakuten. Unless you want to give someone a referral bonus then PM me and I'll send you an invite.

Ah that doesn't offer that service in my region (Only Spain, Germany, UK), bummer. Thank you though.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

deoju posted:

I love it.

OK have another one then:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

OK have another one then:

aw man my wife would love that one

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Dead by Daylight Legos!
:mad:

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Dogen posted:

aw man my wife would love that one

I have excellent news for you.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Owns.

Gonna build this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

All of these models are from Rebrickable; my strength isn't in making things like this, I'm very much a graphic design and photography guy, so I don't have the chops to make killer (pun intended) figures like these.

And the last one I have:

PKMN Trainer Red fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 12, 2022