Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
was going to give young Keanu props for What's Eating Gilbert Grape, but that was a different black haired prettyboy artistic vessel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Keanu's best role was in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, and the the only thing that could've saved the Matrix sequels is having Keanu wake up at the end and say "Bill, I just had the most excellent dream"

This is my Keanu opinion for the Keanu opinion thread.

:colbert:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Analytic Engine posted:

was going to give young Keanu props for What's Eating Gilbert Grape, but that was a different black haired prettyboy artistic vessel

Which prettyboy artistic vessel are you talking about?

The talented actor/teen heartthrob who grew up into a pretentious wife beater who blamed his accountants for not stopping him from drinking a bottle of $10,000 wine a day?
or
The talented actor who grew into someone who has never dated anyone over the age of 25, despite currently being in his late 40s.

Because if we are talking sad declines, then I will always put Johnny Depp's up there. A phenomenally talented young man who got famous in 21 Jump Street, turned that into move stardom by taking interesting, challenging roles. Got to work with John Waters and a bunch of other cool and interesting people. Made poo poo-tonnes of money and even more fans. But then started huffing his own farts, and had too many people telling him he was brilliant, so got lazy and his "look how quirky and full of tics I am. I am a true artiste" schtick got old as he played at being a 'libertine' but with pretentious expensive poo poo like the wine, (as opposed to Nic Cages cool expensive poo poo like dinosaur skulls and old comics). And eventually was revealed to be a narcissistic unrepentant wife beater.

Leo is just a good actor creepily going out with much much younger models. Which is not pleasant, but considering the state of Hollywood, is not that bad.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

BrigadierSensible posted:

(as opposed to Nic Cages cool expensive poo poo like dinosaur skulls and old comics).

I recently learned that Nicholas Cage had a dream about a double-headed eagle and wanted to buy one, but when one couldn't be procured he settled for a two-headed snake which in his words he "spent a lot of money on".

https://people.com/pets/two-headed-snake-donated-by-nicolas-cage-dies-audubon-zoo/

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I recently learned that Nicholas Cage had a dream about a double-headed eagle and wanted to buy one, but when one couldn't be procured he settled for a two-headed snake which in his words he "spent a lot of money on".

https://people.com/pets/two-headed-snake-donated-by-nicolas-cage-dies-audubon-zoo/

Possibly cheaper thank a 40k army. Also, aww. Sounds like he loved that snake.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Acute Grill posted:

Chumbawamba are really cool. Like their brief time in the mainstream isn't something they're bitter about not lasting longer, and they don't pretend that they tricked the label into signing them or whatever, it's just another part of their long time in music. Hell their rationale for signing with a major label was "no matter who we sign with they're gonna exploit us, so let's get exploited in a way we can pay our rent and buy food."

Popping in to say my band recently had a chance to co-write a song with one of the main guys from Chumbawamba, and this is indeed exactly what he told us when we had a chance to shoot the poo poo afterward. It was just a natural progression of their career at the time (they'd already been a band for over a decade), they knew the money could be used in other ways, and they knew it wouldn't last so why not take advantage of it in the meantime. Incredibly sincere folks, really can't say enough good things about 'em.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Stayne Falls posted:

Popping in to say my band recently had a chance to co-write a song with one of the main guys from Chumbawamba, and this is indeed exactly what he told us when we had a chance to shoot the poo poo afterward. It was just a natural progression of their career at the time (they'd already been a band for over a decade), they knew the money could be used in other ways, and they knew it wouldn't last so why not take advantage of it in the meantime. Incredibly sincere folks, really can't say enough good things about 'em.

That's awesome. The podcast Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff (I bet you can guess what it's about) did a 2 part episode about their career. They all seemed like pretty great people.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

The lines are there. Keanu knows what it's going for. He just.... can't become the character. It's the same problem with "A Scanner Darkly." Keanu is doing his level best and I still love him, but he's just not able to do a role that complex. I couldn't either.

I actually really dig Keanu in A Scanner Darkly. He's got that same Jeffrey Wright vibe where he's hinting at lots of thoughts and inner turmoil that can't quite coalesce into a fully formed thought. Which I think is about 90% of PKD.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yea A Scanner Darkly is one of the best adaptations of a novel I've ever seen, PKD or otherwise

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

hawowanlawow posted:

yea A Scanner Darkly is one of the best adaptations of a novel I've ever seen, PKD or otherwise

The epilogue or whatever about playing in traffic really summed up his career and all the friends he'd lost on the way.

RDJ, and Winona and Harrelson were just icing on that weird fruit pie.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

The epilogue or whatever about playing in traffic really summed up his career and all the friends he'd lost on the way.

RDJ, and Winona and Harrelson were just icing on that weird fruit pie.

Interesting bit of trivia: Philip K. Dick was actually Winona Ryder's family friend.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

You’d expect the Dick Ryders to be close

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Interesting bit of trivia: Philip K. Dick was actually Winona Ryder's family friend.

Mel Gibson referred to her once as an "oven dodger."

Mel Gibson is back in movies!

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

credburn posted:

What a charming man

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

credburn posted:

More proof that Jews don't control the media.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's an easy mistake to make.

Jaws controls the media.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

KozmoNaut posted:

It's an easy mistake to make.

Jaws controls the media.
That just folds back into anti-Semitism:

quote:

The character was inspired by Ian Fleming's description of a hoodlum named Sol "Horror" Horowitz in his novel The Spy Who Loved Me.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

No, the shark.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

credburn posted:

oh like she belongs in the kitchen, yeah that's pretty hosed u-

Absurd Alhazred posted:

More proof that Jews don't control the media.

ohh that's much worse

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

credburn posted:

Good grief. I am so glad he got cancelled early by his own crapulence and still feel dirty for watching Boss Level.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Are people still apologizing for him? I haven’t been able to enjoy Jodi Foster for a while now.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

hawowanlawow posted:

oh like she belongs in the kitchen, yeah that's pretty hosed u-

ohh that's much worse

I had the same reaction! Except I think my first thought had to do with her baby-oven

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Are people still apologizing for him? I haven’t been able to enjoy Jodi Foster for a while now.

Got ya beat pal, I’ve never enjoyed her

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

oldpainless posted:

More like old Contactless?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

oldpainless posted:

My knee jerk reaction was ‘wtf she’s great’. Fortunately, I’m a grown up with a working brain, and am willing to admit my first thoughts are frequently mistaken, so I looked over her 81 acting credits and realised she’s only been in 4 good movies. I can forgive a lot for Silence Of The Lambs and Taxi Driver though, she’s magical in both of them.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Torquemada posted:

My knee jerk reaction was ‘wtf she’s great’. Fortunately, I’m a grown up with a working brain, and am willing to admit my first thoughts are frequently mistaken, so I looked over her 81 acting credits and realised she’s only been in 4 good movies. I can forgive a lot for Silence Of The Lambs and Taxi Driver though, she’s magical in both of them.

So which out of The Accused, Contact, Maverick, Flightplan and Inside Man do you think are bad?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Jedit posted:

So which out of The Accused, Contact, Maverick, Flightplan and Inside Man do you think are bad?

You’ll note I didn’t say she’d made 77 bad movies. Flightplan is pretty poor, and might even qualify as bad. Contact and Maverick are fine? Enjoyable hokum. Inside Man was a step above those two, decent entertainment, but I couldn’t really call it good.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Torquemada posted:

You’ll note I didn’t say she’d made 77 bad movies. Flightplan is pretty poor, and might even qualify as bad. Contact and Maverick are fine? Enjoyable hokum. Inside Man was a step above those two, decent entertainment, but I couldn’t really call it good.

Right, so you're a Bugsy Malone denier then.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
What did Jodie Foster do that I should dislike her for? I half-assed googled and couldn't find anything.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I can forgive Foster for a lot, she almost got Reagan killed.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Maverick was the primary reason I stopped enjoying Mel Gibson.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

deoju posted:

Maybe if she put in some better performances his aim would have been better.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Jodie is simply not well liked either in Hollywood or the masses. She certainly fosters a lot of resentment.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

oldpainless posted:

Jodie is simply not well liked either in Hollywood or the masses. She certainly fosters a lot of resentment.

Does she have a no-Contact order out for you? :dadjoke:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Oldpainless working on a way to bring Reagan back to life to annoy jodie foster.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
She’d probably be more annoyed that the guy who made her the subject of his erotomania when she was a teenager is now making indie folk music.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Or the bizarre decision to ADR her with her own voice but doing a weird french accent in Elysium.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

deoju posted:

her failure is what I will never forgive.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Jedit posted:

Right, so you're a Bugsy Malone denier then.

That’s my fourth pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

BioEnchanted posted:

Or the bizarre decision to ADR her with her own voice but doing a weird french accent in Elysium.

Apparently she's fluent in French and dubs her own voice in French language versions of her films.

Which only explains the how, not the why. The why is still confusing.