Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Rockker posted:

Is there anything air based that can be used? If Russia is launching missiles from jets in Belarus or Russia and hitting as far away as Kyiv or Zaporizhzia, can HARMs be used similarly at the same distances? Sucks that Ukraine has to just take it and can only reciprocate mostly with land based stuff like HIMARS

HARMs are small, and really good for the much more important job of suppressing enemy air defenses. Blowing up a SAM or tracking radar is a whole lot better, war-wise, than putting a 150 pound warhead sized hole in a bridge. Can't fix a radar installation with 2x4's and plywood.

The Kinzhals Russians are launching from Mig-31's are fuckin' big missiles with 1000lb warheads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Feliday Melody posted:

I imagine that Ukraine firing a US delivered missile into Russia and hitting a hospital or school in Russia would be a diplomatic disaster for the US.

Regardless of what they originally aimed at.

I really don't think so. They have a good control of the info space, no reason the public would ever need to know and it can be countered by other well placed agitation ops.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Any deets on what missile type this is and what it's doing there?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

DandyLion posted:

This is what I can't figure out regarding the relative line in the sand drawn by allies weapon supply: If russia is bombing indiscriminately why should Ukraine not have the ability to eliminate those assets on russian soil? Short of complete national collapse, russia will be terror bombing Ukraine forever now, and the US and other allies are just hunkey dorey with all that?...

The whole world is on thin ice right now about whether a nuclear power can lose a conventional war against an army supplied by another nuclear power without it escalating to nuclear war. Every new step taken, especially ones in the direction of using weapons provided by one nuclear power within the borders of another, is accompanied by a lot of anxiety about whether it could put us on an escalation spiral nobody can stop.

What you're asking makes perfect sense in isolation, but in the full context it's obvious why everyone's hoping there's another way to win. There's never been a war quite like this, so nobody knows what a stable equilibrium afterward will look like or exactly how to get there.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Feliday Melody posted:

I imagine that Ukraine firing a US delivered missile into Russia and hitting a hospital or school in Russia would be a diplomatic disaster for the US.

Regardless of what they originally aimed at.

This is why Ukraine has not taken credit officially for any of the strikes in border regions (like the famous helicopter raid in Belgorod or the recent explosion on airfield in Kaluga)

Dolash posted:

What you're asking makes perfect sense in isolation, but in the full context it's obvious why everyone's hoping there's another way to win. There's never been a war quite like this, so nobody knows what a stable equilibrium afterward will look like or exactly how to get there.

Vietnam was supported by USSR, a nuclear power

China was also nuclear, I think, when it attempted their invasion into Vietnam

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 10, 2022

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
^^^
Uh, that has happened multiple times before.

Inner Light posted:

Probably some sort of MLRS booster stage?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Inner Light posted:

Looks like what it is doing there is being a traffic calming bollard made of welded steel pipe with a bunch of posters glued to it. No part of that was ever a missile.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

It's an MLRS booster stage that seems to be some sort of art exhibition?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Inner Light posted:

I think it's just a booster from a lovely MLRS that's been mounted on a stand and serving as a place to stick propaganda. Seems to say "Shame to [something] russia"

Dolash posted:

The whole world is on thin ice right now about whether a nuclear power can lose a conventional war against an army supplied by another nuclear power without it escalating to nuclear war. Every new step taken, especially ones in the direction of using weapons provided by one nuclear power within the borders of another, is accompanied by a lot of anxiety about whether it could put us on an escalation spiral nobody can stop.

We've been through this situation a few times in history and the answer is no nukes.

Putin can push the button at any moment if he wanted anyway.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Inner Light posted:

Looks like a delivery vehicle for cluster bomblets

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Chalks posted:

Is it possible that Ukraine timed the bridge attack to come just before an expected Russian escalation to hide in its shadow to some extent? If it really is true that this attack was coming to matter what, Ukraine seems to have timed the bridge strike to avoid retaliation entirely.

The Kerch bridge attack required a bit of timing of multiple parts. The train needs to be slowed down or stopped and the truck needs to be loaded and driving across the bridge while the train is still on there. If that were easy to arrange in a week, I'd expect the security bureau to have done it sooner. If they're as ruthless as the FSB, they may even have calculated the expected retaliatory missile strikes as being a benefit to the Ukrainian war effort.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Inner Light posted:

Propelling part of BM-30 Smerch rocket, I think.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

mobby_6kl posted:

We've been through this situation a few times in history and the answer is no nukes.

Putin can push the button at any moment if he wanted anyway.

But he hasn't. Hence the thin ice - where is the line where he would? And could a new escalation set off a series of tit-for-tat exhanges that will take us there.

To try and avoid Clancychat by hewing closer to the original question, the reason NATO isn't just handing over cruise missiles so Ukraine can retaliate at targets within Russia is because it would look a hell of a lot like war between NATO and Russia, even moreso than the current situation, and potentially raises the stakes for Russia in the war from "humiliation and isolation" to "survival of the regime". If there's another way, like providing Ukraine with more defensive options or more conventional war-winning weapons, that's preferable.

How we stop Russia from just lobbing missiles over the border forever if it gets driven out is probably through a diplomatic solution. Be an isolated pariah state forever or else come to the table. Keeping the war going for pure vanity when they're completely driven out is probably a bigger danger to the regime than negotiating would be.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

nimby posted:

The Kerch bridge attack required a bit of timing of multiple parts. The train needs to be slowed down or stopped and the truck needs to be loaded and driving across the bridge while the train is still on there. If that were easy to arrange in a week, I'd expect the security bureau to have done it sooner. If they're as ruthless as the FSB, they may even have calculated the expected retaliatory missile strikes as being a benefit to the Ukrainian war effort.

I'm not saying that they arranged the truck bomb when they discovered the Russian attack was being planned - however, if they had the plan for the bomb in place they probably have a fair bit of flexibility for exactly when they pull the trigger. Fuel trains likely cross the bridge regularly.

They claim they've known about these strikes being planned weeks ago. If this is true, then they're not in response to the bridge attack at all, and timing the bridge attack to happen just before a big strike that you already know about has a lot of benifits. You basically completely avoid retaliation.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

DandyLion posted:

This is what I can't figure out regarding the relative line in the sand drawn by allies weapon supply: If russia is bombing indiscriminately why should Ukraine not have the ability to eliminate those assets on russian soil? Short of complete national collapse, russia will be terror bombing Ukraine forever now, and the US and other allies are just hunkey dorey with all that?...

The B-2/GBU-57 combo could end this war in an afternoon by targeting decision-makers and is eligible for Lend-Lease. I feel like if Putin had a working nuke he would've used it by now.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

slurm posted:

The B-2/GBU-57 combo could end this war in an afternoon by targeting decision-makers and is eligible for Lend-Lease. I feel like if Putin had a working nuke he would've used it by now.

This is legitimately nuts as a claim. Putin doesn't want to nuke Ukraine because it at best makes Russia the target of the entire world and at worst ends humanity as we know it. It isn't because they have 0 working nuclear weapons

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

slurm posted:

See, the scary thing is that guys who think like this are now taking command of Russia's armed forces in Ukraine.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Ukraine do have long range missiles, but they don't have very many of them and they tend to use them extremely sparingly for that reason. They definitely don't have enough to launch waves of them the way Russia can, regardless of the type of target.

And just a few missiles is easier to shoot down with anti-air missiles than if you fire a big salvo including some decoys. Although firing a couple of cruise missiles followed by HARMs might be an interesting exercise...

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I am a thousand miles away from this conflict, so I have no intimate knowledge, beyond the fact that a whole group of refugees from Ukraine are now living in my town, and they are very welcome and supported. A Ukrainian lady posted in a Facebook group that she was living in a local hotel, but her son had a disability that required regular massage and the hotel bed wasn't suitable, so did anyone had a massage table. By the end of the day, she had a table and a solid offer of massage supplies to help her son :unsmith:

I said 6 months ago that Ukraines 'public persona,' for want of a better term was exceptionally good, and it remains the same today.
From every source, we see a stoical, funny, brave, witty, and extremely socially aware people who seem to fundamentally understand how important it is for them to be seen as Europeans.

Since this horrible war was started by Russia , I've talked to a good few refugees from Ukraine in my town, some pretty old, many young.
We mostly talk about our dogs, because both we and they have cute pups.
They are nice, kindly, familiar people.
Ukrainians really blend in with Irish people. We have a lot of shared historical contexts with being starved intentionally and eradicated as a culture by a bitchy formerly powerful ex-colonial neighbour.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Dolash posted:

To try and avoid Clancychat by hewing closer to the original question, the reason NATO isn't just handing over cruise missiles so Ukraine can retaliate at targets within Russia is because it would look a hell of a lot like war between NATO and Russia, even moreso than the current situation, and potentially raises the stakes for Russia in the war from "humiliation and isolation" to "survival of the regime". If there's another way, like providing Ukraine with more defensive options or more conventional war-winning weapons, that's preferable.

How we stop Russia from just lobbing missiles over the border forever if it gets driven out is probably through a diplomatic solution. Be an isolated pariah state forever or else come to the table. Keeping the war going for pure vanity when they're completely driven out is probably a bigger danger to the regime than negotiating would be.

Keeping armament restrictions in place also makes sense in terms of deterrence, since you can signal a willingness to remove them were Russia ever to escalate past the nuclear threshold, thus negating whatever negligible battlefield advantage doing so might gain them and still keep NATO from becoming an active belligerent.

Pookah posted:

I am a thousand miles away from this conflict, so I have no intimate knowledge, beyond the fact that a whole group of refugees from Ukraine are now living in my town, and they are very welcome and supported. A Ukrainian lady posted in a Facebook group that she was living in a local hotel, but her son had a disability that required regular massage and the hotel bed wasn't suitable, so did anyone had a massage table. By the end of the day, she had a table and a solid offer of massage supplies to help her son :unsmith:
Thanks so much for posting this sweet story, Pookah :)

PerilPastry fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 10, 2022

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Inner Light posted:

This is on the square in Kharkiv where the city government building was bombed. I assume it's something to do with that.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1579544919794159618

Looks like some of the wheels are basically welded to the tracks. Dunno how long this will take to fix though, once the carriages are removed the tracks themselves probably won't take long to replace.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
train tracks are relatively easy to fix. the bridge structure itself is the question

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I thought they already pushed a train car across. Was that a fake video or??

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I thought they already pushed a train car across. Was that a fake video or??

Other track.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There's a parallel set of tracks that was mostly undamaged

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Dolash posted:

Keeping the war going for pure vanity when they're completely driven out is probably a bigger danger to the regime than negotiating would be.

I sure hope you're right but it doesn't feel likely given putin's proclivities for one-upmanship.

I can't see a scenario where putin is still in power and not petulantly lobbing as much ordinance as russia has left daily until he finally dies. Is it likely that the 'tit-for-tat' response to an endgame post-expulsion scenario is to finally supply Ukraine with high precision long range missiles capable of hitting military targets with very low variance for failure or collateral damage? Its just such a weird concept to me that this war could be over but russia continues killing Ukranian civilians with impunity like the whole country is the Gaza Strip and the best the world can come up with is to only provide incomplete defensive measures.

Rockker
Nov 17, 2010

Slo-Tek posted:

HARMs are small, and really good for the much more important job of suppressing enemy air defenses. Blowing up a SAM or tracking radar is a whole lot better, war-wise, than putting a 150 pound warhead sized hole in a bridge. Can't fix a radar installation with 2x4's and plywood.

The Kinzhals Russians are launching from Mig-31's are fuckin' big missiles with 1000lb warheads.

Ukraine needs something like the Kinzhal then. If Russia can keep hitting targets risk free, the scales will eventually tip their way due to attrition

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I don't think Russia has a ton of Khinzhals available and they are limited to specific firing platforms. They're not going to win the war with them.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2022/10/glonass-k-17/

Russia's GPS equivalent just got a little more accurate. Kinda surprised that they've gotten in 13 launches this year; I mean I figure the launch vehicles were probably in the pipeline before the war but you'd think sanctions would start biting into their launch cadence soon.

Also of interest is that two of their launch sites are in areas that are either hostile to them or getting chillier--french guiana and Baikonur in Kazakhstan, respectively.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

OAquinas posted:

Kinda surprised that they've gotten in 13 launches this year; I mean I figure the launch vehicles were probably in the pipeline before the war but you'd think sanctions would start biting into their launch cadence soon.

The sanctions have actually kind of helped. There were a bunch of rockets nearly or fully built, intended for flying western commercial sats. All those contracts fell through, so the rockets were freed up for military launches.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

DandyLion posted:

I sure hope you're right but it doesn't feel likely given putin's proclivities for one-upmanship.

I can't see a scenario where putin is still in power and not petulantly lobbing as much ordinance as russia has left daily until he finally dies. Is it likely that the 'tit-for-tat' response to an endgame post-expulsion scenario is to finally supply Ukraine with high precision long range missiles capable of hitting military targets with very low variance for failure or collateral damage? Its just such a weird concept to me that this war could be over but russia continues killing Ukranian civilians with impunity like the whole country is the Gaza Strip and the best the world can come up with is to only provide incomplete defensive measures.

After seeing how hard of a shock to Russia's system just losing the rest of Kharkiv oblast was, it's hard to believe the government and military will just keep trucking along unchanged through losing Kherson, Donetsk, Luhansk, and all of Crimea. Future-casting that far ahead means moving through the utter defeat and destruction of the conventional Russian army, and who knows what else would break along the way to that.

That's probably the better answer to how Ukraine and NATO retaliate against Russian cruise missile attacks, rather than cruise missiles of their own - continue the campaign against the Russian army as it is, and let gains there do damage to the regime and its goals.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

OAquinas posted:

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2022/10/glonass-k-17/

Russia's GPS equivalent just got a little more accurate. Kinda surprised that they've gotten in 13 launches this year; I mean I figure the launch vehicles were probably in the pipeline before the war but you'd think sanctions would start biting into their launch cadence soon.

They are using a rocket family originally designed in 1950s. Probably not too many Western components there (though most recent variants do have newer electronics).

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I think longer term Ukraine gets something like Iron Dome going. Either the Israelis cave and sell it to them, or the US and Western Europe build their own and sell/give it to them. It's clearly a defensive capability countries need. South Korea and Taiwan would also benefit, for example. Patriot is great, but it's very expensive and protects a relatively small area. (It also protects against a bunch of threats that aren't 50-year-old missile technology, which drives up its cost.)

Another capability would be long-range anti-aircraft platforms. I don't know how far out the Tu bombers are launching missiles, but if it's less than 100km from the front line there are modern systems such as NASAMs that--with the right missile--might be able to keep them out of launch range.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Ynglaur posted:

I think longer term Ukraine gets something like Iron Dome going. Either the Israelis cave and sell it to them, or the US and Western Europe build their own and sell/give it to them. It's clearly a defensive capability countries need. South Korea and Taiwan would also benefit, for example. Patriot is great, but it's very expensive and protects a relatively small area. (It also protects against a bunch of threats that aren't 50-year-old missile technology, which drives up its cost.)

Another capability would be long-range anti-aircraft platforms. I don't know how far out the Tu bombers are launching missiles, but if it's less than 100km from the front line there are modern systems such as NASAMs that--with the right missile--might be able to keep them out of launch range.

Iron dome is a non-starter due to obvious enormous difference in the territory that Ukrainian AA needs to cover.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

Kinzhal's range is in the thousands - not hundreds - of kilometers.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Thanks for the replies. Is Khinzal an intermediate-range ballistic missile, then, under the various treaties covering such?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ynglaur posted:

Thanks for the replies. Is Khinzal an intermediate-range ballistic missile, then, under the various treaties covering such?

INF treaty only applies to land-based missiles. The Kh-47M2 is air launched only. But anyway, the INF treaty has been suspended by both US and Russia, so it's not super relevant at this point in time.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

They often launch near Caspian sea, which is on order of 1400km....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Ynglaur posted:

It’s an air launched version of the Iskander missile so it has a longer range than the already considerable range of the Iskander. They haven’t used many of them so they either didn’t have many to start with or they’re something they’re holding back for a particularly important target.