Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
How long is this P7 promo going to last?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

zimbomonkey posted:

How long is this P7 promo going to last?

For the moment it’s all month long. Sometimes promos can be pulled early, but I would bet on all month.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
My son smashed his gizmowatch when he wiped out on his bike and I'm trying to order a replacement and they want to charge me a $35 upgrade fee for the same drat watch. Why?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

wandler20 posted:

My son smashed his gizmowatch when he wiped out on his bike and I'm trying to order a replacement and they want to charge me a $35 upgrade fee for the same drat watch. Why?

Because they can.

You can call customer care at (800) 392-0717 to see if they’ll credit it. I can order the watch but unfortunately I can’t waive the setup fee. For a case like this, you would think they’d work with you , but yeah gotta ask and see.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Duckman2008 posted:

Because they can.

You can call customer care at (800) 392-0717 to see if they’ll credit it. I can order the watch but unfortunately I can’t waive the setup fee. For a case like this, you would think they’d work with you , but yeah gotta ask and see.

I'll give them a call, thanks for the #.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I traded up for a P6 earlier this year when Verizon was doing a similar promo to what they're doing now. Can I trade up for a P7 even though I just traded up earlier this year?

I'm on one of the Unlimited postpaid plains and I'm not planning on leaving Verizon for the forseeable future, so that's not a problem.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bbcisdabomb posted:

I traded up for a P6 earlier this year when Verizon was doing a similar promo to what they're doing now. Can I trade up for a P7 even though I just traded up earlier this year?

I'm on one of the Unlimited postpaid plains and I'm not planning on leaving Verizon for the forseeable future, so that's not a problem.

You’ll have to buy out the balance of the phone , so only if you’re ok with losing your current promo.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Duckman2008 posted:

You’ll have to buy out the balance of the phone , so only if you’re ok with losing your current promo.

Looks like I'm holding off then. Thanks!

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

If my wife has a 5g unlimited prepaid plan and I am on contract, can I buy the pixel on promotion with my account and just give it to her?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zimbomonkey posted:

If my wife has a 5g unlimited prepaid plan and I am on contract, can I buy the pixel on promotion with my account and just give it to her?

The pixel is discounted with trade in on service with a postpaid plan over 3 years. To get the trade in , the line has to stay on the postpaid service account for 3 years with the same payment plan.

I don’t know your exact scenario , but basically What you do with the phone after you buy it, Verizon doesn’t care as long as that line stays on the plan / postpaid account for 3 years.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I received a text today from (probably?) Verizon claiming I could get a $25/mo loyalty discount. It seems like this is probably valid? I don’t see anything in the app under my account for it though.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SourKraut posted:

I received a text today from (probably?) Verizon claiming I could get a $25/mo loyalty discount. It seems like this is probably valid? I don’t see anything in the app under my account for it though.

Lol I just got a PM from another goon about it.

Yes, the $25 loyalty offer is legit , but it is account by account based.

The loyalty offer is:
$10 off one line
$25 off two or three lines
$20 off 4+ lines

No expiration, no contract. It’s just a retention offer.

The app should allow you to get it (I think), but if not either customer care can, or if you PM me I should be able to. I’m off the weekend, so for me it would just be Monday.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I got that same text for $10 off my single line account right after activating my Google store purchased Pixel 7 pro yesterday. The text said to call, so I didn't check anywhere else for self service. After 20 minutes on the phone, most of it on hold, I got my discount no strings attached.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Can this discount be stacked with other discounts, like the military discount? I just went hunting in my app and found nothing.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Can this discount be stacked with other discounts, like the military discount? I just went hunting in my app and found nothing.

Nope, if you have a military discount it won’t show up.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SourKraut posted:

I got the same text, did the text chat, got the discount.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Okay, I know that I have posted previously about the issues with Verizon but it is getting worse in our community.

In the last month, we had a day where we could not make phone calls unless we were on home WiFi. I can have 4 bars of LTE and not be able to send picture messages or use any data.

A coworker was told by a Verizon tech person to call the support number and get as many people as possible to call in order to get them to actually do something. I called on Friday and spent over 2 hours on the phone with some tier 2 tech people. Over that time, I was told that it does not matter how many people call in because they have every failed call, text and picture message logged in the system. While on the phone, I traveled 8 miles from my home and went from 3 bars of LTE not being able to do anything to 3 bars of LTE working just great. The guy ran some stuff on his end to correct it but it did nothing.

Has anyone ever called in and requested a discount on their monthly bill due to the service not working as intended? I would understand if I lived in an area with 1x or 3G service but that is not our area (right on a major interstate ). It has gotten worse over the years (started with issues with picture messages that got worse and then the same thing happened with data) and now I am afraid that calls are going to start going down as well.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Okay, I know that I have posted previously about the issues with Verizon but it is getting worse in our community.

In the last month, we had a day where we could not make phone calls unless we were on home WiFi. I can have 4 bars of LTE and not be able to send picture messages or use any data.

A coworker was told by a Verizon tech person to call the support number and get as many people as possible to call in order to get them to actually do something. I called on Friday and spent over 2 hours on the phone with some tier 2 tech people. Over that time, I was told that it does not matter how many people call in because they have every failed call, text and picture message logged in the system. While on the phone, I traveled 8 miles from my home and went from 3 bars of LTE not being able to do anything to 3 bars of LTE working just great. The guy ran some stuff on his end to correct it but it did nothing.

Has anyone ever called in and requested a discount on their monthly bill due to the service not working as intended? I would understand if I lived in an area with 1x or 3G service but that is not our area (right on a major interstate ). It has gotten worse over the years (started with issues with picture messages that got worse and then the same thing happened with data) and now I am afraid that calls are going to start going down as well.

Man, I wish I had an answer for you. I legit don’t know. I would call and talk to billing , like they’ll see the notes from the account. But yeah, it’s hard to get an answer there.

Edit: I came up with an idea or two and PMed you. Main one is steps to possibly get a micro cell.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 17, 2022

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Could someone have put a "fake" LTE tower in place in your area to try and sniff packets?

There are apps you can download that will let you know which towers or "towers" your phone is potentially pinging.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I do not think so. The Verizon rep I talked to said that he could see every time that a message failed to send or a phone call failed to go through.

Which made me wonder; if they can see mine and the rest of the towns almost constant failed attempts over the years, why not try to fix it?

Then I remember the answer….the bottom line.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Anyone on the welcome unlimited plan? We are on the play more plan now but as far as I can tell the welcome unlimited plan would be way cheaper without the extra crap they include like Disney+ and we don't live in an area with ultrawide 5G anyway.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

tofes posted:

Anyone on the welcome unlimited plan? We are on the play more plan now but as far as I can tell the welcome unlimited plan would be way cheaper without the extra crap they include like Disney+ and we don't live in an area with ultrawide 5G anyway.

There are caveats :
-no discounted phones. To emphasize , promos never apply on this plan.
-if you are on a busy tower, you could see slower speeds
-no mobile hotspot

So it’s fine, but if you’re getting a discount or at whatever point want to upgrade, you’ll want to change plans at that time.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

If it helps, sales haven’t been awful, but it’s not gang busters like last. The Pro and Pro Max are obviously the big sellers, but I think end of October is a good chance this year.

As a small FYI, and thanks for your earlier help, it looks like the EPP hold has been released :)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

phongn posted:

As a small FYI, and thanks for your earlier help, it looks like the EPP hold has been released :)

Yes it did ! My phone is actually out for delivery today , and I am very excited for it !

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

duckman maybe you would know

I'm looking at possibly switching away from VZW to T-Mobile due to the lackluster c-band deployment in my area (along with the pricing) but there's one or two places where TMO has basically nada coverage (including directly outside my house) that VZW has coverage on

is there a dirt cheap verizon data only MVNO you know of that i could use to help fill the data gaps in that supports eSIM (goal is to keep the total less than my current VZW bill at 98 dollars otherwise it's just throwing money away)

Raymond T. Racing fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 23, 2022

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Buff Hardback posted:

duckman maybe you would know

I'm looking at possibly switching away from VZW to T-Mobile due to the lackluster c-band deployment in my area (along with the pricing) but there's one or two places where TMO has basically nada coverage (including directly outside my house) that VZW has coverage on

is there a dirt cheap verizon data only MVNO you know of that i could use to help fill the data gaps in that supports eSIM (goal is to keep the total less than my current VZW bill at 98 dollars otherwise it's just throwing money away)

I mean, that depends on where you want to spend your money in my opinion.

I always present everything as price versus value. And the value depends sometimes on circumstances for sure.

This is a great example. Super up front: the question here will end up being would you rather pay a premium for Verizon’s better coverage , or save money but not get the same coverage ?

There’s an over arching question as to whether Verizon still has a large coverage difference versus T-Mobile. In your case though, even if you are not getting C Band, you lie in that section where Verizon still is better coverage.

Data priority is pretty simple. Verizon postpaid is top, then Verizon prepaid, then MNVOs. Verizon somewhat raised their prepaid pricing, so IMO, especially for multiple lines, you want postpaid if you want the best coverage.

So to summarize: In theory Verizon MNVOs have that coverage difference you are describing , but I would put a very mug mileage will vary on it.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Duckman2008 posted:

I mean, that depends on where you want to spend your money in my opinion.

I always present everything as price versus value. And the value depends sometimes on circumstances for sure.

This is a great example. Super up front: the question here will end up being would you rather pay a premium for Verizon’s better coverage , or save money but not get the same coverage ?

There’s an over arching question as to whether Verizon still has a large coverage difference versus T-Mobile. In your case though, even if you are not getting C Band, you lie in that section where Verizon still is better coverage.

Data priority is pretty simple. Verizon postpaid is top, then Verizon prepaid, then MNVOs. Verizon somewhat raised their prepaid pricing, so IMO, especially for multiple lines, you want postpaid if you want the best coverage.

So to summarize: In theory Verizon MNVOs have that coverage difference you are describing , but I would put a very mug mileage will vary on it.

yeah as much as I’ve looked at it I just can’t rely on T-Mobile when I go take the trash out or something

it slaps the pants off Verizon elsewhere in the area (I get 5Guc ~200 feet down the street) but immediately outside is just sucky

it’s also interesting because I’m trading a very obvious dead zone for another: T-Mobile has a dead zone around my house, Verizon has a dead zone a half mile away

Raymond T. Racing fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 23, 2022

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I have posted about local issues with service issues before. Well, after having 3 calls fail yesterday while having 4 bars of LTE, I decided to push further. I read online that if you email the Verizon CEO, he has a response team. I emailed him yesterday and today I got a response.

We got a text message from the Chief Executive Office that they would call us in a short time. The call came and the lady told me that, despite all of my previous contacts, no technician had ever been sent out to check on things. She said that would be the first step and that she would be a contact from now on until this issue is resolved. She sent us an email with all of her contact information and a summary of what we talked about.

Cut to two hours later and there is a random guy driving slowly around our neighborhood and sitting on the side of the road. I thought he was having issues so I stopped him and he was a Verizon technician. He had driven 1.5 hours to come check things out because the CEO office sent him out.

Together, we went through things for about 40 mins and he saw all of the same issues we have been having (except the phone call issues). He said that he adjusted the tower power level to hopefully reduce the issue but until they upgrade the tower, it will not change permanently. He was really polite and said that complaints like this are how things get fixed so he is happy when they come in. He is hoping that this will help get an upgrade sooner.

I am supposed to keep track of things to see if they get better or stay the same. I am then supposed to email him at the end of the week. I will say, he has been driving through the area for the last 2 hours so he is still checking on things.

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

I'm currently on a Boost mobile $30/monthly plan with 10 GB data. I've never had a major carrier (Sprint, Verizon, T Mobile, etc.) so I don't know how that compares, but I understand that a cheaper service provider like Boost uses the network of one of those major carriers. I've been pretty happy with my coverage and everything, especially at $30 per month.

Why am I posting in the Verizon thread? Well, Xfinity just called me to try to get me to switch to Xfinity Wireless, which they told me uses the Verizon network. They're offering $15 a month with 1 gb of data (otherwise unlimited) and they'll give me a $100 gift card for bringing my own phone. I got the guy to tell me that $15/month is not promotional and not tied to my keeping cable and internet service with Xfinity, and he confirmed that my phone is compatible with the network and that I'll be able to keep my phone number.

Aside confirming whether 1 GB/month is going to be enough for me, is there anything I need to consider? Is being "on the Verizon network" somehow not the same as signing a deal directly with Verizon? Boost mobile apparently uses the AT&T and T-Mobile networks - would I be able to anticipate an improvement or a decrease in my experience if I made this switch? I live in Baltimore city, so it's not like I'm frequently testing the limits of the network, but maybe things could be better for me if I switched.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Xfinity Mobile does use Verizon's network and can be a good deal if you have Xfinity Internet at home, multiple lines, and Verizon coverage is good where you usually use your phone. If you cancel the Xfinity Internet they start charging $25/mo/line access fees so make sure you port out first if you're going to cancel Internet. They don't charge line access fees otherwise so you can have several lines sharing a by-the-gig plan bucket and only pay the ~$2/mo taxes per line above what the data costs.

Their by-the-gig plans do not throttle after you run out and overage is $15/gig so if you go over your 1GB plan by even a megabyte you'll pay an additional $15 for the extra gig. It's actually postpaid and you can change your plan in the middle of the billing period without being prorated, so whatever you have your plan set to at the end of the billing period is what you'll pay for that period. For example you can set it to the $15/1GB plan and if you go over by several gigs just bump it up to the $60/10GB tier or set your highest usage lines to unlimited before the bill gets cut.

Their system really likes to tie the phone's IMEI to the SIM and they'll only activate certain models as BYOD. This means that if you don't have a recent model iPhone, Samsung Galaxy, or Google Pixel phone then they won't activate it as a BYOD and you'll have to buy a phone from them.

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 27, 2022

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

MVNOs don't get priority data, so you'll be slowed down first, but that's also the case on Boost. Spectrum, the ISP where I live, does the same thing and I wish I could get them to STFU about it whenever I need to talk to them about literally anything.

1GB seems REALLY sparse, especially if you're moving to a better network.

Check Verizon's coverage map and compare it, too. You might be in an area better served by T-Mo.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Xfinity Mobile by-the-gig is prioritized the same as Verizon postpaid. The unlimited plan is lower priority but you can pay extra to get the higher priority and HD video streaming.

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

MVNOs don't get priority data, so you'll be slowed down first

MVNOs are the sub-services that use Verizon et al's networks? Okay, good to know.

And SamDabbers is maybe disagreeing with you on this point. I'll consider that. As you said, I'm already in that boat with Boost.

AlexDeGruven posted:

1GB seems REALLY sparse

Yeah. I'm currently at 0.8 used this month, with seven more days to go, so I'm right around 1 gb/month, but that's useful to consider that with a faster speed I'll burn through more data. I can alter my usage to stay below 1 gb, probably, but it's certainly preferable to not have to think about it.

SamDabbers posted:

Xfinity Mobile by-the-gig is prioritized the same as Verizon postpaid.

Does this mean that you're disagreeing with what Alex DeG said about "MVNOs don't get priority data"?

Thanks for all the info, both of you.

Racing Stripe fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 27, 2022

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Racing Stripe posted:

Does this mean that you're disagreeing with what Alex DeG said about "MVNOs don't get priority data"?

In general MVNOs do get prioritized lower than first-party postpaid accounts, but in this specific case, yes, I am disagreeing. Xfinity Mobile does get you priority data.

https://coveragecritic.com/mobile-phone-service/qci-qos-class-identifiers-explained/

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 27, 2022

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

Okay, awesome. Sounds like I can conclude that if I switch I'd get priority data, which I'm not (or may not be) currently getting as a Boost customer. If I can keep it under 1 gb/month, my cost will go down, and if I exceed it, my cost will get bumped up to what I'm currently paying. I'll do a little map research on Verizon coverage in my area and confirm what the different price tiers are depending on data usage.

Thanks for the great answers, pals.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Racing Stripe posted:

I'm currently on a Boost mobile $30/monthly plan with 10 GB data. I've never had a major carrier (Sprint, Verizon, T Mobile, etc.) so I don't know how that compares, but I understand that a cheaper service provider like Boost uses the network of one of those major carriers. I've been pretty happy with my coverage and everything, especially at $30 per month.

Why am I posting in the Verizon thread? Well, Xfinity just called me to try to get me to switch to Xfinity Wireless, which they told me uses the Verizon network. They're offering $15 a month with 1 gb of data (otherwise unlimited) and they'll give me a $100 gift card for bringing my own phone. I got the guy to tell me that $15/month is not promotional and not tied to my keeping cable and internet service with Xfinity, and he confirmed that my phone is compatible with the network and that I'll be able to keep my phone number.

Aside confirming whether 1 GB/month is going to be enough for me, is there anything I need to consider? Is being "on the Verizon network" somehow not the same as signing a deal directly with Verizon? Boost mobile apparently uses the AT&T and T-Mobile networks - would I be able to anticipate an improvement or a decrease in my experience if I made this switch? I live in Baltimore city, so it's not like I'm frequently testing the limits of the network, but maybe things could be better for me if I switched.

Well, a few things.

1. Lol the dude def lied to you about the cable requirement. Comcast absolutely will only give you that service for $15 a month with home internet. That’s how they subsidize it.

2. Boost is complicated, but at the moment mostly piggy backs on ATT (because T-Mobile got in a fight with them they no longer use T-Mobile).

3. Comcast piggy backs on Verizon. All 3rd parties (called a MNVO) have the same caveat: you get lower data priority than Verizon proper customers. So you go to a sports game or whatever, you’re first slowed down. Also, comcast is using Verizon , but you are a Comcast customer, not a Verizon customer.

Quite frankly, it varies probably on the area and your usage whether you would notice performance differences or not. In a city like Baltimore, you could see slower speeds, but no way to know without trying.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

So I did the pixel trade-in deal but now I can't find the envelope to send in my phone. How do I get another one fairly quickly? Do I even need to use the envelope?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

zimbomonkey posted:

So I did the pixel trade-in deal but now I can't find the envelope to send in my phone. How do I get another one fairly quickly? Do I even need to use the envelope?

Log in to your Verizon Dashboard. There should be a section right near the top that says

"Notifications
It's time to trade in your xxxxxx."

Then a View Details button, click that.

Then you should see an option below the status tracker that says: Reorder trade-in materials

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Duckman2008 posted:

Lol I just got a PM from another goon about it.

Yes, the $25 loyalty offer is legit , but it is account by account based.

The loyalty offer is:
$10 off one line
$25 off two or three lines
$20 off 4+ lines

No expiration, no contract. It’s just a retention offer.

The app should allow you to get it (I think), but if not either customer care can, or if you PM me I should be able to. I’m off the weekend, so for me it would just be Monday.

Hey Duckman, is this discount actually time-limited? Just curious - I tried looking online to find it but couldn't, so I was going to call in, but if it has passed, I figure there isn't a point to call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SourKraut posted:

Hey Duckman, is this discount actually time-limited? Just curious - I tried looking online to find it but couldn't, so I was going to call in, but if it has passed, I figure there isn't a point to call.

No, it just varies on the account.

If you are already getting the military, teacher nurse or first responder discount, it doesn’t stack with those.

If you want me to check for you tomorrow PM me.