Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

HelloSailorSign posted:

booming roar filtering through the water

for anyone who hasn't tried this: if you happen to be at a beach where you can see whales in the distance, try putting your ear in the water. It is insane how well whale-songs travel through water. Dive down a measly 10 feet and they will be booming in your ears while the whales are miles away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I've mentioned it before but the log entry in Subnautica about the roars being sonar and how that means that if you can hear them they can see you is some of the absolute creepiest poo poo

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

BrianRx posted:

If I recall, Subnautica was pretty bad perfomance-wise in EA. I think they had to do an engine overhaul and remove terrain deformation because the lag and pop in were so bad.

stuff like good LOD setup is something even very experienced developers don't get correct e.g. Conan Exiles Isle of Siptah map has a giant area filled with a certain grass model that doesn't LOD properly and wrecks FPS when you look that way, even from several kilometers away.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

One thing that's worked well for me in Card Survival is that you can make several campfires by the ocean and then keep them stocked with coconuts full of salt water and mass produce salt really easily. Four fires will get you a lot of salt in a relatively short time.

Also, shovels will dig more sand/mud than using your hands, though shovels are damned expensive if you haven't gotten a copper one or have a start with plenty of scrap.

Carrying several sacks allows you to carry more things. They produce less encumbrance than things in a backpack, but you can fit six sand/mud in each sack (baskets are heavier). You can typically haul 24 mud with a pack, inventory, and two sacks. I try to grab sand every time I head to the beach for a while, until my base has enough sand to work with for a while.

If you manipulate decay timers, food lasts longer. Cooking meat when it's close to decay can buy time, but smoking the cooked food when it gets close to decay saves even more. Just be sure it has enough time to survive the 3 hours to smoke it.

If it's your thing, it's worth it to try to kill a boar early in a run and then stop until you're more skilled and better geared. Early on, if you never cut you just restart, and the meat and skin will help a ton getting started.

Don't forget that you can make more than one tanning racks. Having two in the grasslands means you can dry a lot of plants for later, especially chilis.

Using dynamite to mine nets you the same or more ore than not using it.

Weston grants a buff when you're around him against loneliness - you can carry him around to keep this buff active, and then talk to him overy so often for another.

You're going to need a lot of rocks.

A satchel can hold an axe and a knife with very limited encumbrance. A second satchel with a candle, fire drill, and kindling can be a nice lifesaver if you need a light.

You can light tinder in a fire to light multiple fires quickly.

Leaves make good fuel if the fire isn't started yet. It can be a good idea to throw palm leaves into a campfire, stove, or kiln to use them before they expire.

You can find three worms in the swamp cave every time you explore it - they're great bait and make for really easy partridge feed.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Goddamn what do you need so much salt for?

It's good for glazed vases and food but that's a lot of salt if you are having several campfires burning at once.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Asked the dev of card survival to please let us rename structures; added in the next patch. I can now proper christen my poo poo storage shed as the Shitshack. If you got any pet peeves or niggles about something in the game take it to the steam forums, dev is ontop of poo poo like drat.

Same patch also added a new simple campfire that doesn't need rocks to make but only has a single cook slot, let's you use oil on reservoirs to reduce how many bugs they make, and fixes some weirdness with storing coconut bowls.

Jawnycat fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 9, 2022

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
simply allowing me to have multiple chests without having to remember that the second one contains my conches is excellent

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

simply allowing me to have multiple chests without having to remember that the second one contains my conches is excellent

Storages could already be renamed.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Rynoto posted:

Storages could already be renamed.

lies, surely that was just added and i didn't just miss it for *checks notes* 30 hours

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Man, losing mental stability and getting depressed is no joke in Card Survival. I had a macaque break my leg and I splinted it up fine, but even with kava the guy got so incredibly depressed that it started taking a hour to to do anything. I burned through my stored food quickly because he was just constantly starving, which was a combination between the massive time loss and what I assume to be a huge increase in need because I emptied my full clay cooler in two days. He ended up underweight and then froze to death on a beach because he got caught in a storm and trying to walk back to safety was 1hr15min per block.

I'm not sure how to keep my weight up, I was pretty good at keeping my food bar relatively full but it seems like it was always dropping. I guess those times when he passed out and it emptied just evaporates your weight.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Oct 9, 2022

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'm not sure how to keep my weight up, I was pretty good at keeping my food bar relatively full but it seems like it was always dropping. I guess those times when he passed out and it emptied just evaporates your weight.

So weight is a bit weird in that it's always shown as going down. The way to counter the loss is to check the 'hidden' Appetite stat every now and then under the mental tab. Appetite determines how fast you become hungry and allows you to eat more food without getting overly full/sick which in turn lets you keep your weight up. On top of that high saturation cooked foods - e.g. fish n' chips - will give more weight than, say, bananas. Appetite itself goes up overtime whenever your character stays full or close-to-full and goes down when starving or close-to-starving so just make sure you eat healthy two times a day or so and you'll start gaining weight.

If you only every stay mostly-full then your appetite is likely in the tiny-to-small range which is almost impossible to stay weight neutral on. Things like lizard bites, being tired, and being stressed can also directly affect weight and appetite which can lead to sudden unexpected drops. The bites especially are bad as they both massively increase food requirements while also putting a malus on weight, same with tired but to a lesser extent.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 9, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Rynoto posted:

So weight is a bit weird in that it's always shown as going down. The way to counter the loss is to check the 'hidden' Appetite stat every now and then under the mental tab. Appetite determines how fast you become hungry and allows you to eat more food without getting overly full/sick which in turn lets you keep your weight up. On top of that high saturation cooked foods - e.g. fish n' chips - will give more weight than, say, bananas. Appetite itself goes up overtime whenever your character stays full or close-to-full and goes down when starving or close-to-starving so just make sure you eat healthy two times a day or so and you'll start gaining weight.

If you only every stay mostly-full then your appetite is likely in the tiny-to-small range which is almost impossible to stay weight neutral on. Things like lizard bites, being tired, and being stressed can also directly affect weight and appetite which can lead to sudden unexpected drops. The bites especially are bad as they both massively increase food requirements while also putting a malus on weight, same with tired but to a lesser extent.

Ah I see, so I'm a little off on my understanding of what the bars means. They are are desires but not specifically the entire picture, as in if the food bar is full but your appetite is low then you'll still lose weight. So if the bar is consistently half full then they aren't half satisfied, they's pretty hungry.

I think I kind of instinctively knew that from tooltips but it didn't really sink in til it was like "you're constantly 3/4 full on your bar why are you losing weight"

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 9, 2022

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Is there any other way to deal with loneliness and isolation? Weston can't do anything to help me anymore and I'm regularly having my mood dip low enough to effect my action times

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Danaru posted:

Is there any other way to deal with loneliness and isolation? Weston can't do anything to help me anymore and I'm regularly having my mood dip low enough to effect my action times

If my understanding is correct you basically just have to build yourself a mansion and fill it with cool rocks and chairs and sandcastles. Basically entertain and comfort your way out of the loneliness debuff.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Getting livestock or a macaque friend also helps allot, since they all provide similar buffs to being around/talking to weston, and these all stack together.

"Tamed" macaques are pretty cool so long as your alright with getting bit allot. They can instantly husk coconuts as a free action and bring you a random gift once a day. Sometimes the gift is a singly dry leaf, or a piece of literal poo poo, but often it's food which means they mostly feed themselves since you can just shove it right back in they mouth. Mine kept bringing me eggs which was great since I was nowhere near getting an enclosure setup at the time. And you can have them ride on your shoulder in your equipment slots. Only real trouble they bring is biting the poo poo out of you early on, having to make sure to clean their poo poo out of your hut every morning, and they are a constant, albeit minor, water drain.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
You need high comfort to counter max loneliness -without pets- as well as entertainment and good cooked foods for the morale. Make sure to slap white-washed-walls on your hut as well as a door and a bookshelf full of curios - should get you most of the way there. The stitched floor is the hardest upgrade at 16 leather so unless you're overflowing it's worth saving those for the stone hut. Table and chair also give comfort but you should make those asap anyways for the crafting bonus.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 10, 2022

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Danaru posted:

You're talking about a game, right?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Danaru posted:

Took me a bit to realize you were talking about the game.

:smith:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
well you know it's a game because there's no jerking off, that's like a cheat code for reality

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

well you know it's a game because there's no jerking off, that's like a cheat code for reality

The way my experience with this game has gone I wouldn't be surprised if there was an option, and you just need to drag coconut oil over your character's UI or something to unlock it. Same as "wait you can just use an axe on the forest icon to get wood"

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

CuddleCryptid posted:

The way my experience with this game has gone I wouldn't be surprised if there was an option, and you just need to drag coconut oil over your character's UI or something to unlock it. Same as "wait you can just use an axe on the forest icon to get wood"

Seems like the game should tell you that as soon as you make an axe. God drat game!

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

Drag coconut oil all over character to get wood

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

RandomBlue posted:

Seems like the game should tell you that as soon as you make an axe. God drat game!

There's been a lot of blink and you miss them loading screen tips that I really wanted to claw back

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
The Android price for Card Survival is $16, lmao. Come the gently caress on.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

RandomBlue posted:

The Android price for Card Survival is $16, lmao. Come the gently caress on.
$25 on steam!

zhuge liang
Feb 14, 2019
I got it for $7 last year which seems like an insane steal now.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Vib Rib posted:

$25 on steam!

Eh, the Steam price is high but not insanely so compared to games in general. That Android price is way out of whack with mobile game pricing and they'd likely have more than 10 times the sales by lowering it to $5 or less.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I would have bought it for 5 bucks. 10 bucks is a maybe. Beyond that is a nope.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The creator addressed the price and basically went "if you're the kind of person who won't just refund the game when you have to do the more complex stuff then you'll buy it at the price point" which I think is reasonable. Same reason all the Paradox dlcs are 25 bucks

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’d pay that if it were on iOS.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Still playing Subnautica but I'm having problems remembering which areas I have explored or haven't yet, any tips?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Big Scary Owl posted:

Still playing Subnautica but I'm having problems remembering which areas I have explored or haven't yet, any tips?

Beacons are you friend. You can even name them

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

MarcusSA posted:

I’d pay that if it were on iOS.

Truth.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

CuddleCryptid posted:

The creator addressed the price and basically went "if you're the kind of person who won't just refund the game when you have to do the more complex stuff then you'll buy it at the price point" which I think is reasonable. Same reason all the Paradox dlcs are 25 bucks

Not sure how those two things are related, but whatever, it's their game. The more complex stuff is still beyond the Steam refund period, generally.

I own the game, the price wasn't too much for me but it seems like they're shooting themselves in the foot, especially on Android where they have a whopping 100+ reviews that could easily be 1000+ at a lower price point.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

RandomBlue posted:

Not sure how those two things are related, but whatever, it's their game. The more complex stuff is still beyond the Steam refund period, generally.

I own the game, the price wasn't too much for me but it seems like they're shooting themselves in the foot, especially on Android where they have a whopping 100+ reviews that could easily be 1000+ at a lower price point.

I think you are underestimating of what counts as "complex". We're talking about a mobile game, five minutes in and the average consumer is going to quit after not being able to figure out how to weave palm fronds.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
I honestly think the dev might be having money troubles as well, no real anything to back that up mind mostly pulled from my rear end, just a vibe I've been getting from how 1.0 felt a bit rushed yet they are pushing updates out like mad, news posts on their other game for it's remaster being shelved for now and the considerable price hike.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 73 days!
prices are arbitrary to begin with who cares

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

taiyoko posted:

Honestly, I'm excited for the release of a multiplayer server major update for a server I'm playing on for space engineers -- sigma draconis has been working on a lot of custom mods for their "5.0" release that kind of turns it into a mashup of space engineers, Eve, and elite dangerous. The pve zone is limited to vanilla blocks only as far as thrusters/refineries/other "functional" blocks, to encourage movement into the PvP area. One of the neat mods makes carrier ships not clang out in transit, because a special hangar block stores small grids like a PokeBall for ships, while keeping the mass a factor in the carrier's handling.

I know I'm quoting a half year old post but I only found it because of this half year old post- I've been playing on the Sigma Draconis The Expanse themed server for the last week and it's really been scratching my space survival game itch in a way that Empyrion and vanilla Space Engineers was never able to. I highly recommend it.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Arven posted:

I know I'm quoting a half year old post but I only found it because of this half year old post- I've been playing on the Sigma Draconis The Expanse themed server for the last week and it's really been scratching my space survival game itch in a way that Empyrion and vanilla Space Engineers was never able to. I highly recommend it.

Calling it expanse themed got my attention, but what is this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Umbreon posted:

Calling it expanse themed got my attention, but what is this game?

Sorry, it's modded Space Engineers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65lebD8zamI