Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I hope you bought the lords you wanted already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Lol sure who cares. Omnath decks had already fallen off, I guess this forces rhinos players to play the good version of the deck with 60 cards

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
How many more B&R stuff until Wizards finally just says it? "Look, we realize now that the Companion mechanic was a terrible idea. We're banning them all now. Please forgive us for our stupidity."

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I'm surprised at the yorion ban and how specifically they talk about the shuffling being an issue and waiting for opponent to go through triggers. Those are also potentially issues in legacy, and while I don't want yorion banned I could see them justifying it with the same logic.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Shuffling 80 cards is the worst.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

neaden posted:

I'm surprised at the yorion ban and how specifically they talk about the shuffling being an issue and waiting for opponent to go through triggers. Those are also potentially issues in legacy, and while I don't want yorion banned I could see them justifying it with the same logic.

Shoulda banned fetch lands for the same reason.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Guess they're gonna ban commander now since you have to shuffle 99 cards

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Guess they're gonna ban commander now since you have to shuffle 99 cards

lol

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

uPen posted:

More of this again. Even if you take fetches out of the equation, decks still do a lot of shuffling. Cards that search, cascade, and everything else. Standard itself has like 50+ cards that cause you to shuffle. The version of magic where shuffling becomes less of a thing seems pretty boring IMO.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I have gone back and forth for years on if they should ban fetches lol

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

uPen posted:

:ssh:
They should

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

More evidence Hoot controls the universe.

Oh wait never mind lol I got swindled.

Meathook ban is interesting. I was under the impression the card was seeing a lot less play in Standard now than like, three months ago. I haven’t read the rationale yet tho.

fadam fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 10, 2022

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

fadam posted:

Meathook ban is interesting. I was under the impression the card was seeing a lot less play in Standard now than like, three months ago. I haven’t read the rationale yet tho.

here:

quote:

As is often the case, the Standard card pool rotation with the release of Dominaria United caused quite a shakeup, with cards from the new set finding their places into decks, and many of last year's cards shifting context within the new metagame. As the format has settled into place, the color black has proven powerful and prolific, and makes up the foundation of many of the top decks. Despite that commonly shared color, we're seeing good diversity among competitive decks and strategies, and player engagement with the format has been healthy.

To provide a small push against the color black's play rate among competitive decks, we're choosing to ban one black card. We discussed several different options, as no single black card stood out as a major power outlier played by all decks containing black. Ultimately, we decided that banning The Meathook Massacre was the best choice, as it's one of the most powerful black cards in the format, is especially powerful against specific archetypes (decks relying on a lot of small creatures), and has had its time to shine in Standard for over a year.

With The Brothers' War on the horizon, we anticipate the new cards entering the format to provide tools for other decks and color combinations. In the meantime, we expect this little shakeup will help keep Standard enjoyable and trending toward an even healthier spot going forward as the card pool expands.

i think it's reasonable and agree with whoever said that they're probably intending for tiny artifact token decks to be popular in brothers' war

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Makes sense. Hitting Hook also makes Invoke Despair a bit worse because it’s harder to get punished for going wide.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
banning Meathook makes Braids worse and that's a sad

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Does the Hook banning enable any decent low to the ground creature decks? I haven’t touched Standard in many months and those are usually my preferred deck types.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

TotalHell posted:

Does the Hook banning enable any decent low to the ground creature decks? I haven’t touched Standard in many months and those are usually my preferred deck types.

I have a spicy list that runs gala greeters, adeline, allenal, and jinne fay. Depending on which 3 drops can stick on board turn 4 a crippling amount of damage can be done.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

TotalHell posted:

dom u has some nice token cards and payoffs that haven't really seen play b/c of meathook but i've been enjoying loving around in historic brawl with; i think a GW or a RGW tokens deck is likely to show up

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

neaden posted:

What do you expect them to admit that companion was such a poo poo idea that errata and spot bans aren't good enough? No time for that! Money printer go BRRR.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.
I'm just glad yorion is gone, doing deck checks for 4c omnath money pile decks was annoying as gently caress

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

InterrupterJones posted:

How many more B&R stuff until Wizards finally just says it? "Look, we realize now that the Companion mechanic was a terrible idea. We're banning them all now. Please forgive us for our stupidity."

All of them are fine except Lurrus and Yorion, like when was the last time you got mad at my big chonky friend Keruga?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Silhouette posted:

All of them are fine except Lurrus and Yorion, like when was the last time you got mad at my big chonky friend Keruga?

Jengatha is bad too.

This is the thing about companions: Any that are playable are inherently broken because of how magic works as a limited recourses game.
And any that aren't playable are fine but then no one cares because they're not playable.

Also lutri is good, cool, and perfect.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Gyruda is fine when it's not a companion

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
For those who are interested, Mark Rosewater goes over why Nearby Planet (the land with Rangeling) isn't Eternal legal in today's Making Magic:

Mark Rosewater posted:

For this card, let me answer the questions everyone will be asking: Why is this an acorn card? Why couldn't it be an Eternal card? Technically, it doesn't work in the rules, but that's something that could have been addressed. Magic tweaks the rules all the time for new effects, and the change that this card would require to work wouldn't be a big deal.

The bigger problem was Legacy and Vintage. The reason we made some cards in the set Eternal is because that's the legality a set needs to be playable in Commander. Commander is our most casual format, and Un- sets are our most casual sets, so if we wanted to let any format play cards, we wanted it to be Commander. That meant, though, that we had to be cautious about what we were letting into Legacy and Vintage.

The team I put together to decide which cards were acorn and which were Eternal included Jess Dunks, the rules manager; Matt Tabak, the set's editor; myself, the lead set designer; and Carmen Handy from the Play Design team. It was Carmen's job to make sure we weren't making cards Eternal that would cause problems in Legacy or Vintage. Sometimes that means changing costs, and sometimes that means not making a card Eternal.

We created Nearby Planet because we needed a common land that tapped for all five colors to help fix mana in Limited (being all five basic land types does this). Rangeling, as I said above, technically didn't work in the rules, so it passed the bar for something an Un- set could do (back before the Eternal discussion happened). When the Eternal conversation came up, we had two choices: recost it so it wouldn't cause problems in Legacy and Vintage (which probably meant moving rarities) or make it an acorn card. The former would create numerous headaches (remember, the art had all been completed by this point) and would still be potentially dangerous, so we opted to make it an acorn card. Our guiding principle toward Legacy and Vintage had been "when it doubt, err toward safety," so we did.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Trespasser is even better now, Meathook was one of the best nontargeted ways to remove it.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I fuckin told y'all

meathook is a decent start, but trespasser and invoke have to go

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
In theory Invoke Despair will be weaker because Go Wide aggro doesn't get completely destroyed by Meathook anymore. Let's see what happens the next month.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Invoke Despair is super awesome but it absolutely has to go in monoblack. Don't try to jam it into WB. It doesn't work. I tried. It doesn't work.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

W.T. Fits posted:

For those who are interested, Mark Rosewater goes over why Nearby Planet (the land with Rangeling) isn't Eternal legal in today's Making Magic:

Can't wizards come out and say "these cards are commander legal but not legacy and vintage " full stop? They make the banlist, let the commander committee sort it out

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

ilmucche posted:

Can't wizards come out and say "these cards are commander legal but not legacy and vintage " full stop? They make the banlist, let the commander committee sort it out

And in fact they recently did, it’s just that the cards were in $250 booster packs.
I don’t want to be mean!

They could do that, but printing cards that are legal magic cards and don’t go in legacy and vintage goes against the stated purpose of those formats.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
there are straight-up some cards with partner in the set that are acorn-only, i don't think you have to try to read between any lines and disbelieve what they're actually saying in this case

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

besides, Commander has rule zero

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
trespasser is not real, just play a 3 power creature

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Wooper posted:

trespasser is not real, just play a 3 power creature

trespasser is easy to deal with. Just meathook it.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
your 2 mana 3/2 blocker wont get meathooked now

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

Jengatha is bad too.

This is the thing about companions: Any that are playable are inherently broken because of how magic works as a limited recourses game.
And any that aren't playable are fine but then no one cares because they're not playable.

Also lutri is good, cool, and perfect.

Yeah I'm a very casual player and awful at evaluating cards, but it was obvious just from glancing at companions that if any of them were tournament viable then everyone would be sick of them showing up constantly just when needed.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k15jCfYu3kc

Prof finally published his take on $999 4 pack of proxies.

OH poo poo he knows about the MTG 30 simulator! :laffo:

Jiro fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 10, 2022

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Jiro posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k15jCfYu3kc

Prof finally published his take on $999 4 pack of proxies.

OH poo poo he knows about the MTG 30 simulator! :laffo:

I'm late on this (not because I didn't hear but because I was kinda busy when news broke). Simulators are nice, but does anyone have a link to someone smart who has a math breakdown of the odds? All the links Google is giving me are ones on Reddit, which is having a moment right now.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Magnetic North posted:

I'm late on this (not because I didn't hear but because I was kinda busy when news broke). Simulators are nice, but does anyone have a link to someone smart who has a math breakdown of the odds? All the links Google is giving me are ones on Reddit, which is having a moment right now.

it's a simple division:
One rare per pack, of a pool of 113, but there are twice as many duals so:
20/123. 16ish percent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

HootTheOwl posted:

it's a simple division:
One rare per pack, of a pool of 113, but there are twice as many duals so:
20/123. 16ish percent.

I don't understand where the 20 comes from. Also, how do the old border cards fit into this? They're in their own slot, right? So doesn't that change the odds?