Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yes yes you've left your grumbly whiner opinion, we get it

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Oct 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the only Magic youtube persons i really actively like are Brewer's Kitchen and Nizzahon. the former because he's just hilarious and silly, and the latter because he never tries to be funny or entertaining, just informative

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

I’m watching some Brewer’s Kitchen for the first time and drat, you’re right, these are good as hell. Very well edited, too.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

flatluigi posted:

i don't really give a poo poo about that person personally but i'm kind of tired of every youtube video that gets posted in here getting met with some level of hostility

there's a very simple explanation for that: most MTG YouTubers are really bad. and even if they're good, the lovely thumbnails prime people to hate them before they even click play

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Jim Davis does suck to listen to also he’s bad at the card game of magic the gathering. I’m hostile to him

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

I like watching Nummy, he's good at limited and fun to watch

BoshNRoll is good too

that's all the video content I watch.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

quote:

Announcement Date: October 10, 2022

Standard:

The Meathook Massacre is banned.

Modern:

Yorion, Sky Nomad is banned.

MTG Arena Effective Date: October 13, 2022

Magic Online Effective Date: October 10, 2022

Tabletop Effective Date: October 10, 2022

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/october-10-2022-banned-and-restricted-announcement

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Am i getting 4 mythic wildcards then? :toot:

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

youre literally braindead if you dont put bankbuster in your deck and fable is so ubiquitous people splash red for it alone but hyeah lets ban the card at random not even all black decks play for reasons we cant even articulate

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

kalel posted:

most MTG YouTubers are really bad

Yeah, the only ones I watch anymore cover eternal formats on mtgo (despite only playing Arena myself). I guess that makes it niche enough of an audience that they don't feel compelled to do wacky personalities and/or obvious clickbait all the time.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

40 lbs to freedom posted:

youre literally braindead if you dont put bankbuster in your deck and fable is so ubiquitous people splash red for it alone but hyeah lets ban the card at random not even all black decks play for reasons we cant even articulate

i thought their reasoning in the article was fine? it's still played a lot and it's made playing any small creature deck over the last year hell. still gotta fear farewell but at least you're not actively hosed if you want to play tokens anymore

i think fable is annoying but i think it's going to be less of an issue with meathook gone, since people will be incentivized to play more decks with smaller creatures and that'll make maindecking more direct/single-target removal for small creatures more reasonable. bankbuster is a solid card but i think it's silly to call it bannable

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

So craft meathook (I just did) and don't craft Yorion since it's only a modern ban right?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Algid posted:

So craft meathook (I just did) and don't craft Yorion since it's only a modern ban right?

yeah, you don't get wildcard refunds for bans for formats that aren't on arena.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I have a feeling they're expecting at least one major archetype from Brothers' War to be token generation - which makes sense for an artifact heavy set. This feels like a preemptive ban more than anything (though agreed, Fable was probably the only card in Standard worth banning right now).

Algid posted:

Yes, craft Meathooks. Don't craft Yorions for WCs.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
okay bannning Meathook is stupid as gently caress. Blood on the Snow rotated out so i guess the answer to aggro is "more aggro" or "run Red or White"?

BotS is not the card that's making Black oppressive lmao.

last night i played against someone who successfully won by just casting bad Commons. that's why people don't like Black. hand disruption is just too good right now

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I'm not going to miss meathook

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm not going to miss Meathook either but I feel that's a weird ban.

EDIT: I wish they had banned Paradox Engine in Historic Brawl

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 10, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i get the reasoning that maybe banning Invoke or something was punishing Black too narrowly, but Meathook is still a dumb ban when Black just had a sweeper rotate out

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

precision posted:

i get the reasoning that maybe banning Invoke or something was punishing Black too narrowly, but Meathook is still a dumb ban when Black just had a sweeper rotate out

meathook isn't just a sweeper, it also makes restabilizing after getting swept much harder because of the permanent incidental life gain/loss

i do think that if it's true that their metrics say that most black cards are around the same power level and there's no real spike across the board (which, anecdotally, i agree with) that meathook getting bopped has the highest likelihood of getting less played archetypes back into the meta

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

lol, i played one game of the archetype thing as timmy. on the draw, gishath and vivien in hand. oppo shits his hand but doesn't do much. drop vivien and +1, hit the non-dragon board wipe creature, play gishath, hit for 7 and drop a pile of dinos. gg

i feel like i pretty much got the full experience

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I haven't been playing a ton but I really don't get the ban. Black's strong but it's a fun, challenging adversary.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

flatluigi posted:

i thought their reasoning in the article was fine? it's still played a lot and it's made playing any small creature deck over the last year hell. still gotta fear farewell but at least you're not actively hosed if you want to play tokens anymore

i think fable is annoying but i think it's going to be less of an issue with meathook gone, since people will be incentivized to play more decks with smaller creatures and that'll make maindecking more direct/single-target removal for small creatures more reasonable. bankbuster is a solid card but i think it's silly to call it bannable

i think there are plenty of other reasons why aggro sucks rear end right now with meathook being like #9 on the list and banning it just makes problematic cards in the format even more problematic. idk what world youre living in where you think this will make fable worse do you feel good using a whole card to remove a fable token? do you tihink wedding announcement and wandering emperor needed to be even stronger than they already are? single target removal has never seemed worse as long as ive been on arena (graveyard trespasser sanctuary warden titan of industry ao etc etc) and i dont think lacking meathook makes it any better?? also the only good single removal is infernal grasp which is also still black anways????????

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Gonna spend my free wildcards on Zur jank. Also with meathook gone just splash a single white mana and cleavecast Path of Peril.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 10, 2022

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

i think there are plenty of other reasons why aggro sucks rear end right now with meathook being like #9 on the list and banning it just makes problematic cards in the format even more problematic. idk what world youre living in where you think this will make fable worse do you feel good using a whole card to remove a fable token? do you tihink wedding announcement and wandering emperor needed to be even stronger than they already are? single target removal has never seemed worse as long as ive been on arena (graveyard trespasser sanctuary warden titan of industry ao etc etc) and i dont think lacking meathook makes it any better?? also the only good single removal is infernal grasp which is also still black anways????????

i know sometimes i feel like people are playing a completely different meta than me when they post about cards they dislike but i don't know if i've felt that more strongly recently than right now. i think you and i have completely different reads on what cards are issues in the format and even what cards see much play overall

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

what are the first 8 reasons?

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
If meathook is banned, does path of peril become a playable card?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

jim davis soundboard: "look at how they massacred my boy"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have seen a lot of the other three cards but I don't think I've seen Ao in standard lol

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

Whooping Crabs posted:

the meta have to shift a bit before it would be. it is certainly possible with meathook gone but right now the black only mode isnt hitting all that much.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Yeah path of peril can come in as a sweeper but meathook was exceedingly good at board clear, stabilizer and win con. Every removal spell after it lands just makes the hole for agro to dig itself out from deeper.

It's like invoke despair or t3feri or Uro it does one thing too many on a card that would have been played without it

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Whooping Crabs posted:

nah, i think it's much more likely that you see depopulate and more farewells than path of peril. not being able to hit 3+ mana creatures until you're at 6 mana is a huge downside, and at 6 you'd much rather have all the modes that farewell gets you

i'd even think you'd see vanquish the horde first.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Bye hook.

Maybe monored aggro could work now.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Meathook ban is good and opens the door to really shake up the meta. Invoke gets significantly worse in a go-wide meta and not being able to fire off meathook to wipe up mirror breaker/wedding annoucement tokens or other go wide strats is going to give breathing room for both aggro. Similarly, it indirectly impacts Liliana by making it harder to keep her alive rather than just sweeping the small stuff, keep your sheoldred, and dropping Liliana in the same turn.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have seen a lot of the other three cards but I don't think I've seen Ao in standard lol

I'm playing it in my very mid esper legends deck, but the deck is not good.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Good to see Intrepid Adversary unbanned with Meathook gone.

King Darius the Extra Large also becomes a card I will think about.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

precision posted:

okay bannning Meathook is stupid as gently caress. Blood on the Snow rotated out so i guess the answer to aggro is "more aggro" or "run Red or White"?

BotS is not the card that's making Black oppressive lmao.

last night i played against someone who successfully won by just casting bad Commons. that's why people don't like Black. hand disruption is just too good right now

yeah black's power level has been really high recently. nothing really stands out as a problem but they're all extremely good value: hook, trespasser, Lili, invoke despair, sheoldred, sorin, underdog, evolved sleeper. not to mention lolth, deadly dispute, blood on the snow, eye twitch, and shambling ghast forming the core of last year's post-rotation mono black deck

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

if banning meathook changes anything at all ill come in this thread with my hand up and be the first to say im dumb and wrong but i dont think itll do anytbjng to make any of these bxx midrange decks any less godlike or make any of the aggro creatures any less bad .

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
With hook gone I could see WR agro being more of a thing. It's a deck with nice reach and with less cheap lifegain on a sweeper it might be able to close out a game against black midrange, but it just needs the card draw it lost when showdown of the skalds rotated.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

i think there are plenty of other reasons why aggro sucks rear end right now with meathook being like #9 on the list

After 300 games of aggro I can confirm that Meathook is at least #2 on the list. Every other common problem I've had can be dealt with burn cards or dmg in some way, except for white's depopulate

thespaceinvader posted:

Bye hook.

Maybe monored aggro could work now.

It worked pretty well last month, I had a 65% win rate to Mythic. And I wouldn't even consider myself great at playing. Should be even better now but I've been playing a lot more white decks with depopulate than I did in September.

goodness fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 10, 2022

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
is there a burn spell in standard right now good enough to deal with sheoldred? because while meathook was a problem for aggro decks, sheoldred is a big fat brick wall for monored aggro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

is there a burn spell in standard right now good enough to deal with sheoldred? because while meathook was a problem for aggro decks, sheoldred is a big fat brick wall for monored aggro.

Rending Flame gets you 5 damage at instant speed for 2R. It was in a gruul aggro list I found online and I'm sure is for Sheoldred