Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
A YouTuber playing the game on the nightly version explains how to make iron:

https://youtu.be/RZGAYzItazw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
So apparently bears can attack things through a fence. So that's fun. Luckily I got there after only half my herd died. :(

On an unrelated note I'm looking for Olivine and I read that it doesn't show up on the prospecting pick. Is that true?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Travic posted:

So apparently bears can attack things through a fence. So that's fun. Luckily I got there after only half my herd died. :(

On an unrelated note I'm looking for Olivine and I read that it doesn't show up on the prospecting pick. Is that true?

I believe that it does not, yes. Its just a stone type rather than an ore, so uhhhh hope you spot it as surface deposits?

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Arrath posted:

I believe that it does not, yes. Its just a stone type rather than an ore, so uhhhh hope you spot it as surface deposits?

drat. And Peridotite mainly spawns as the bottom layer. Guess I'm gonna have to do some branch mining.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Travic posted:

Not through a fence, over it. You bear-proof at 2 high fence. They can reach over a 1 high fence.

Travic posted:

drat. And Peridotite mainly spawns as the bottom layer. Guess I'm gonna have to do some branch mining.

Or look for high mountains with a cliffside. I've seen peridotite as ground layer a few times, as well as nuggets of olivine on the ground, though that obviously doesn't mean it doesn't mostly show up on the bottom layer.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Olivine only shows up on the prospecting pick in it's short range, node search. Just like quartz. Find a peridotite area and start exploring caves. Always works for me!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Tunneled into a random hillside to gather stone to roof my house, found a bountiful lead vein 2 blocks in. Nice!!!

After burning half my pick's durability gathering loose stones I realized that shale is not slate.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Yeah peridotite can show up as a surface level rock type. It did on spawn, along with limestone, at the first world I created. Which I then deleted, because hey, what are those two even good for, right :negative:

Travic posted:

I think a two-blocks-high fence (or stone wall) can fix that, along with the odd chance of your animals climbing out or predators climbing into your corral during wintertime when snow builds up (though that last one became a lot less likely when one of the recent updates adjusted the 'invisible height' of fences)

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Thanks for the help. Managed to find a little olivine. drat these caves are nasty. Even with chain mail they're wrecking me. I may have to upgrade to plate.

Travic fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 9, 2022

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Are you using a shield in your off-hand? I don't really go caving, but from what I gather for other players, shield have become pretty much mandatory if you're going into the nastier areas, like deep caves or a bear den.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

SexyBlindfold posted:

Are you using a shield in your off-hand? I don't really go caving, but from what I gather for other players, shield have become pretty much mandatory if you're going into the nastier areas, like deep caves or a bear den.

No I wasn't. I figured I needed my off hand for light. I can switch that up though.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

After reading about VS a lot I just started playing it with some friends. It's refreshing that a survival game actually takes some to get started instead of everyone running with diamond gear in the first hour or so.

A few things that did annoy us were Drifters spawning in our first huts ("bases") and spawn-camping us as well. Is there a way to tone them down in the server settings?

Also night was pretty miserable if you had just died.

After I had finished making my soil cave to cook some cattails in, I thought I'll be clever and dug a moat around it to see if I could trap some meat. Well, I could, but when I went to collect some piglets, a big boar came and made short work of me. (next time I got wiser and trapped the piglets in a smaller space, but they still yielded just one slab of meat between them.)

All in all a fun evening and it'll be more fun to continue tomorrow, but I'm not sure if I'll ever make it to the higher levels, since it seems to be very complicated just to advance from the basic stick age.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I am firmly within the, "surface drifters are dumb and unnecessary" camp, so I'd advise just outright disabling temporal rifts and arguably, temporal storms. You can change those I think in an active server by running it through the server console https://wiki.vintagestory.at/index.php/World_Configuration. Before doing so, I recommend saving the default.vcdbs, default.vcdbs-shm, default.vcdbs-wal, and playerdata.json files just in case it resets your world. Those last 4 files are what you need in order to restore a world and the players within it. We run our server on Nitrado, sometimes the server gets updated but for whatever reason it wipes to default. I've been through 4 resets and after uploading those 4 files, we've got our game world back.

Removing surface rifts means drifters aren't on the surface unless there's a cave nearby. Drifters still spawn in caves.

It's complicated to advance from stage to stage, but each stage gives you a lot of things to do.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
My comfort setting especially for the "well I guess I'll just idle in the dark" result of night death is to turn off inventory drop on death. There's enough going on to be worried about corpse runs even besides just spawning in pitch black. I have no real complaints about drifters or wolves and bears this way and it's not like the amount of running dying entails with or without your spawn point manually set is any less of a punishment.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've made it into a point where I can mine copper and get some copper tools, but the next big step seems to be getting advanced smithing with bronze. I haven't managed to find any tin yet, so any ideas where I should be looking? (I'm guessing it's gonna be those deep, dark caves where the drifters will tear me apart whenever I delve down)

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Focus instead on finding sphalerite and bismuthinite (for bismuth bronze), or panning bony soil for silver and gold nuggets (for black bronze). Tin is often very hard to find, and a bit of a trap honestly.

And make sure you're using your prospecting pick liberally.

MrGreenShirt fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 13, 2022

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
I haven't managed to find any iron yet, but I did find some meteoric iron. Will ore blasting bombs work on that?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

TeaJay posted:

I've made it into a point where I can mine copper and get some copper tools, but the next big step seems to be getting advanced smithing with bronze. I haven't managed to find any tin yet, so any ideas where I should be looking? (I'm guessing it's gonna be those deep, dark caves where the drifters will tear me apart whenever I delve down)

Unless you get lucky with surface tin, you need to wander around using the prospecting pick to look for tin. If it shows tin in that square, it's somewhere in that square, but it might be pretty deep.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

LLSix posted:

Unless you get lucky with surface tin, you need to wander around using the prospecting pick to look for tin. If it shows tin in that square, it's somewhere in that square, but it might be pretty deep.

Once I started using that map marking mod finding tin or whatever else has been substantially easier.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
ok i'm sold. when do we port gregtech to this

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

quote:

Feature: Can now chisel pumpkins in (the real life months) October and November. Includes a glowy chisel material for extra spook.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Some other small detail I appreciate is that if you go far enough north during the summer, the days get longer and the nights become brighter too. When you hit the polar region, the sun almost hits the horizon at by 24:00 but not quite, so you get this really cool and surreal midnight with a permanent sunset.

This game has problems, but the detailed weather and seasons is not one of those problems.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Yeah I do have to remember when I pop through my static translocators I've got, because they go ~10k in north/south directions which means the time when I should leave in order to get home before it's too dark becomes different in each area.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Alcohol brewing guide is a bit unclear: does every type of alcohol require the building of a boiler and condenser for distilling or is some of it simply fermented in a barrel?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

TeaJay posted:

Alcohol brewing guide is a bit unclear: does every type of alcohol require the building of a boiler and condenser for distilling or is some of it simply fermented in a barrel?

You can just dump fruits in a barrel and ferment them, they last like 60 days after fermenting for a week. Good way to keep fruit for the winter if you have no other means and a huge crop of berries about to freeze.

E: you do need the fruit press though.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Anime Store Adventure posted:

You can just dump fruits in a barrel and ferment them, they last like 60 days after fermenting for a week. Good way to keep fruit for the winter if you have no other means and a huge crop of berries about to freeze.

E: you do need the fruit press though.

Correct. For brewing of the grain origin alcohols, you grind them into flour first them combine them with water in a barrel.

This brings you to the first stage of alcohol, wine (fruits) or ale (grains). These have a decently long shelf-life in a good cellar. To get to the never spoiling alcohol, you need the distillery setup.

You can then take that alcohol and distill it one more time to make aqua vitae, which can be used to mass produce HP providing bandages, but they do "dry out" so it's better to carry a stack of plain bandages and a bucket or jug of aqua vitae and combine as needed, as I understand it.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Is there something more to fruit trees? I've checked the 5-6 trees in my area every few days and they all progressed to "Fruiting" then stayed there all through the year. Now its winter so its too late.

Also for a cementation furnace does the coal under the furnace have to be coke or charcoal or can it be regular coal?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Fruit trees seem to be a bit buggy still, every patch seems to have a fix for "fruit tree updates not activating during chunk activation"

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

zedprime posted:

Fruit trees seem to be a bit buggy still, every patch seems to have a fix for "fruit tree updates not activating during chunk activation"

Oh well :(. Next year I'm uprooting all of them and making an orchard at home. So hopefully they'll update correctly.

In other news: Wow helve hammers are nice. They take a lot of fat to set up the windmill and hammers, but they are so nice.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Travic posted:

Also for a cementation furnace does the coal under the furnace have to be coke or charcoal or can it be regular coal?

I think charcoal, anthracite, and coke count.

Helve hammers are the best, yeah. Eventually when you get two set up you can process so many plates and so many blooms/blister steel relatively easily. I've got two helve hammers (one bronze cap, one iron cap) in series on a pair of windmills that with a few hits of a hammer (either on the plate with the "smash" toggle or iron bloom with the "split" toggle) I can fully occupy my times making loads of all three of the above with 4 forges working.

Both the helve hammer and the pulverizer use a toggle that are in line with each other so you can line them up next to each other and they'll pass on the power train without needing additional axles. You could probably even design a windmill that needs no axles, the rotor just connecting directly to some oddly placed helve hammers :v:

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Sokani posted:

I haven't managed to find any iron yet, but I did find some meteoric iron. Will ore blasting bombs work on that?

If anyone's wondering, bombs won't mine the meteor but they do have the 10% chance to destroy the chunks.

Not that it would matter, since you need an iron anvil to work with meteor anyway so it doesn't work as a replacement.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Apparently there's a bug in the game which prevents sealing a fruit juice (cranberry in this case) barrel if there's a two decimal amount of liquid there. So is there any way for me to drink 0,02 litres out of my 29,12 litres of juice so I could seal it since the bowl takes 0,1 litres and I can't put more juice in there since it's December and no more cranberries?

Also, is there a wooden equivalent for a jug? Like, a tankard? Didn't find anything.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Its so hard to find a decent looking area of relatively flat land (and I'm not talking perfectly flat, I can deal with small elevation changes, but not constant little mounds).

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

TeaJay posted:

Apparently there's a bug in the game which prevents sealing a fruit juice (cranberry in this case) barrel if there's a two decimal amount of liquid there. So is there any way for me to drink 0,02 litres out of my 29,12 litres of juice so I could seal it since the bowl takes 0,1 litres and I can't put more juice in there since it's December and no more cranberries?

Also, is there a wooden equivalent for a jug? Like, a tankard? Didn't find anything.

If you make two barrels, you can empty all but the annoying amount using a bowl or cup or whatever, that will have even amounts. Then you can just drink that little tiny bit left in there.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

If you make two barrels, you can empty all but the annoying amount using a bowl or cup or whatever, that will have even amounts. Then you can just drink that little tiny bit left in there.

True big brain thinking right here

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

I feel like I saw this in Die Hard 3.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Its so hard to find a decent looking area of relatively flat land (and I'm not talking perfectly flat, I can deal with small elevation changes, but not constant little mounds).

I'm not sure how exactly VS handles biome generation and such, but there's definitely areas like grasslands or plains, that are quite flat except for the odd sinkhole or mound. What I do is build my house into (and around) one of such mounds, so that I might take advantage of that little extra height when it's time to add windmills. Downside of the grasslands is that they're usually low fertility soil, but any decent farm will have you running around for terra preta anyway, so :shrug:

You might want to consider the Mining Tools mod, which adds an excavator, which is basically a beefed-up shovel that can dig up soil materials in a 3x3 pattern. It can make short work of any ugly mound blocking your view.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

You can also take my approach of building in “interesting” terrain which means taking tons of fall damage off of cliffs and cursing just how many god drat shovels and pickaxes you actually need.

(Don’t do this.)

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

You can also take my approach of building in “interesting” terrain which means taking tons of fall damage off of cliffs and cursing just how many god drat shovels and pickaxes you actually need.

(Don’t do this.)

And the realization of just how many stairs you'll need to make to keep from having to jump up every. single. hill.

I do wish the game had a passive 'desire path' kinda function. As you keep walking over blocks, the grass gets trampled to where it doesn't grow big stalks anymore, then turns the block face to dirt, then packed looking dirt.

That way after a while of living in an area I can figure out where to build my paths and stairs based off of past experience!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I feel like I kinda hit a slump at copper age. I can make tools, but on a multiplayer server with friends I have to move farther and farther for copper and I haven't found any tin to move on to bronze age (I know you can make it from other than tin itself too). The prospecting pick never seems to pick up anything, and even when it does it's usually a miniscule chance of a poor deposit.

So I guess I'm having trouble finding anything rarer than copper. Every cave is filled to the brim with drifters, and I even made some lamellae armor which holds up a bit but they still get me as soon as I run out of arrows.