Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
If they reset ELO it makes sense they don’t have enough data to differentiate that many levels on the high end where it gets much more granular in skill gaps and much smaller groups.

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

She throws two cards at a time

It all seems like a hold over from an older design. Being able to toggle to throwing one (2?) at a time and the visual makes it seem like she was previously more like a charge healer where you would want to only throw one at a time for more healing. Now you just hold mouse left click and it’s pretty much a beam with regimented gaps, which is odd. Also the fact that it has a unique aiming mechanic fits the idea of singular but more impactful heals on a charge more than her current concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

I've been losing constantly when playing Moira even while doing decent, I think she's a decent healer but you can't really do too much with her past that unless the other team is very bad and squishy

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It annoys me that the weekly challenge of "win 10 games with two different roles" doesn't give you info on how many games in what roles you've won

Look under your lifetime challenges and you'll see wins for Vanguard (Tank), Assassin (DPS), and Medic (Support) roles.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BabyRyoga posted:

I don't know if there has been an official comment on it in the last few days, but it's pretty obvious the system is either really glitched, or most people are getting downranked pretty hard

They confirmed your MMR has been modified and you WILL start in lower ranks for comp several weeks before OW2's launch

quote:

You can expect to start in lower Skill Tier Divisions after placement matches and progress the ranks throughout the season.

All players that were ranked in Competitive prior to Overwatch 2 will have their rank modified post-launch. Overwatch 2 is a very different game, so we applied a formula that gives returning players an opportunity to redefine their rank when they dive into updated Competitive. Most players will find their rank is slightly lower when they start out, as they will be learning new concepts and metas. However, players who got to learn more about the game in our betas, or who follow the Overwatch League, may find themselves ranked higher than ever.

From here: https://overwatch.blizzard.com/en-us/news/23857518/initializing-systems-updating-competitive-play-for-overwatch-2/

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

teagone posted:

They confirmed your MMR has been modified and you WILL start in lower ranks for comp several weeks before OW2's launch

From here: https://overwatch.blizzard.com/en-us/news/23857518/initializing-systems-updating-competitive-play-for-overwatch-2/

Well, they say "slightly lower", not going from the right half of the bell curve to literally the lowest division in the game which seems pretty common, so I can't help but think they probably hosed something up along the way.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It doesn't really matter. I haven't seen anything weird like Top 500 being dumped into Bronze. If you're that much underranked you'll climb out faster than OW1. And if not, well...

Ranked system seems overall improved except for overtime rules on some maps. Payload should default to time remaining if both teams finish instead of going to a third round.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BabyRyoga posted:

Well, they say "slightly lower", not going from the right half of the bell curve to literally the lowest division in the game which seems pretty common, so I can't help but think they probably hosed something up along the way.

GMs being placed into diamond is relative to plats dumped into silver. I haven't seen anything "broken" or whatever among high-level players so there likely isn't anything wonky going on with lower ranked placements either. I've never played tank before in comp ever and only played the first 12 seasons of comp in OW1 as support. I think placements did a pretty good assessment dumping my trash rear end tank queue into Silver 5, but in less than a week and after learning to play tank more, I've already been adjusted to Gold 4. If you're meant to climb you will, if you're placed low and are hardstuck, get better. It's pretty simple.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Bottom Liner posted:

Ranked system seems overall improved except for overtime rules on some maps. Payload should default to time remaining if both teams finish instead of going to a third round.

The reasoning for this from OW1 was to not overly incentivize people to pick speedy characters to maximize speed over all else. I remember Jeff saying something like wanting slow push characters and teams to have a fair shot at winning. The goal of the game mode is to capture enough points, and time just gives you an advantage instead of being the win condition.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

teagone posted:

GMs being placed into diamond is relative to plats dumped into silver. I haven't seen anything "broken" or whatever among high-level players so there likely isn't anything wonky going on with lower ranked placements either. I've never played tank before in comp ever and only played the first 12 seasons of comp in OW1 as support. I think placements did a pretty good assessment dumping my trash rear end tank queue into Silver 5, but in less than a week and after learning to play tank more, I've already been adjusted to Gold 4. If you're meant to climb you will, if you're placed low and are hardstuck, get better. It's pretty simple.

Mostly fair points, but I think the error in the system here is looking at MMR values vs percentiles.

Plats going down to silver vs GMs going down to diamond makes sense in purely MMR values, but not so much in terms of relative skill level. You'd essentially have someone at the 75th or so percentile going down to the 35th percentile, vs someone at the 99th percentile going down to the 90th.

Usually the area where this is problematic is when they try to balance team MMR values rather than individual player MMR values but that isn't really here nor there. It will all balance out, but it will lead to some rather miserable games in the mean time.

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
I'm really enjoying this but I also never really played OW1 much at all, few games here and there but it never clicked too much, seems to be a bit of negativity from older players looking at the User reviews on metacritic XD

Game is free and seems fun? You can pay for cosmetic poo poo if that floats your boat? There's no real pay to win right?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

BoonyPC posted:

Game is free and seems fun? You can pay for cosmetic poo poo if that floats your boat? There's no real pay to win right?

Not really. They probably should put new heroes a bit lower in the free BP (like maybe level 30 or something) but, that isn't too big of a factor.

I think people are more upset that the game doesn't feel like it rewards you at all for just playing anymore unless you have the premium BP, and even then, less so than with the lootboxes in OW1.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

BoonyPC posted:

It's not free if you want to have the same hero selection as your opponents. Then you have to either pay with money or your time.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
What happens if you don't unlock the character in the BP before the BP ends?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BabyRyoga posted:

Mostly fair points, but I think the error in the system here is looking at MMR values vs percentiles.

Plats going down to silver vs GMs going down to diamond makes sense in purely MMR values, but not so much in terms of relative skill level. You'd essentially have someone at the 75th or so percentile going down to the 35th percentile, vs someone at the 99th percentile going down to the 90th.

Usually the area where this is problematic is when they try to balance team MMR values rather than individual player MMR values but that isn't really here nor there. It will all balance out, but it will lead to some rather miserable games in the mean time.

The real argument here is to ignore MMR values vs percentiles and accept that maybe the reason they intentionally lowered rank placements was to keep you in-game longer/playing more. This increases the chances of you buying content from the shop and can also be used to pad concurrent playerbase stats to please investors or some poo poo, lol.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Kwolok posted:

What happens if you don't unlock the character in the BP before the BP ends?

quote:

There will be ways to earn past heroes in future seasons, so everyone will have the opportunity to earn heroes by playing! Heroes from past seasons will return in new hero challenges, or you can acquire them in the shop with Overwatch Coins.

There's an FAQ at the bottom of this article: https://overwatch.blizzard.com/en-us/news/23824003/overwatch-2-explained-battle-pass-shop-hero-unlocks-and-more/

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

I've been doing my 7 open queue wins 'cheevo.

It's funny how the official role queue comp is 1 tank 2 others
In Open queue the Meta is 1 DPS and 2 others.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Torb has a highlight intro and at least one spray that reference upgraded turrets

I still use the spray. I know it's better for the game the way it is but I miss superturrets so much.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

adhuin posted:

I've been doing my 7 open queue wins 'cheevo.

It's funny how the official role queue comp is 1 tank 2 others
In Open queue the Meta is 1 DPS and 2 others.

Yup, and Hog with a shield to play behind and 2 heals is basically unkillable.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
If people are really worried about the rank soft reset just wait a couple weeks for the playerbase to stratify again into their more appropriate ranks and then if you feel you're ranked lower than you should then you can climb quickly.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I owned OW1, got the founders pack, been playing a few games over the last couple of days with no issues.

Then just now I had to log into the game with my email and password+authentication and now I'm locked out of 20 heroes.

What the poo poo is this?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
A minor complaint, but I've noticed that the animation that plays when you get hit and staggered by Sigma's rock attack is cut off at the end. I'm not sure if this is intentional or a bug, but it doesn't play all the way through like before: you just get halfway staggered then suddenly pop back up. It's subtle, but I can see the difference.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Do endorsements actually do anything

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Shroud just placed Silver 1 on DPS after absolutely murdering people on Widow if that makes you guys feel any better

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

your suggestion would create large amounts of time where the game is already over instead of the current system where almost every second of play is relevant barring specific setplay situations

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

AndyElusive posted:

I owned OW1, got the founders pack, been playing a few games over the last couple of days with no issues.

Then just now I had to log into the game with my email and password+authentication and now I'm locked out of 20 heroes.

Logging out and in usually fixes this

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Bottom Liner posted:

Yup, and Hog with a shield to play behind and 2 heals is basically unkillable.

This is probably not a popular opinion, but I kind of feel like that if tanks need to be raid bosses for role queue, they should probably be limited to one in other modes too. Open queue and a bunch of the non-No Limits arcade modes. I was in a Total Mayhem the other day that was locked in perpetual overtime for ten or more minutes. Both sides had two tanks and two healers locked on the point. I don't know if it actually ended, I got bored and left.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

AndyElusive posted:

I think all of battle.net just started having problems

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Mind over Matter posted:

This is probably not a popular opinion, but I kind of feel like that if tanks need to be raid bosses for role queue, they should probably be limited to one in other modes too. Open queue and a bunch of the non-No Limits arcade modes. I was in a Total Mayhem the other day that was locked in perpetual overtime for ten or more minutes. Both sides had two tanks and two healers locked on the point. I don't know if it actually ended, I got bored and left.

Total Mayhem is always like that

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Macaluso posted:

Total Mayhem is always like that

Anecdotally not to that extent though. I like the mode and it can lock for sure, but that's by far the worst I've ever seen. No one was dying, nothing was happening, it was just dumb.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Mind over Matter posted:

Anecdotally not to that extent though. I like the mode and it can lock for sure, but that's by far the worst I've ever seen. No one was dying, nothing was happening, it was just dumb.

I can say OW1 had plenty of Total Mayhem matches I was in where no one was dying, or at least the tanks and healers weren't, and overtime frequently went 10+ minutes. Hollywood would always be the longest I've found

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Man, people are really toxic in game.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Macaluso posted:

I can say OW1 had plenty of Total Mayhem matches I was in where no one was dying, or at least the tanks and healers weren't, and overtime frequently went 10+ minutes. Hollywood would always be the longest I've found
I'm P sure I have a record of like 25+ minutes of objective time because of overtime as Winston during a TM match in OW1.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Mystery Heroes owns, this dumb new tank balance in other modes just leans MH even harder into being a ridiculous Overwatch slot machine.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Been playing some DVA and friendship ended with Orisa, DVA is now my best friend.

Although I made some super dumb moves that I'd never get away with in comp, or really against anyone that knows what they're doing.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Time Crisis Actor posted:

Yeah it's annoying. Every game in comp someone is trying to put the blame on someone. "Tank diff", "DPS diff". People can't just shut the gently caress up and play. Had a couple of funny interactions trying to be ultra positive and winning people over though. Feels good when chat starts off toxic but we turn it around.

If it's really egregious please start reporting. Lets put this voice transcription to the test.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i have pot so im going to play one compet game prolly lose not care and play QP

like god intended

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Best one so far has been #TeamDiff

Well yes, better team won.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Time Crisis Actor posted:

actual authentic OW2 voice chat coms:

me: Ana 1, Ana 1
me: Nice, on genji next
angry dude: MAN SHUT THE gently caress UP YOU ARE LIKE A SPORTS CASTER
me: uh.. making calls?
angry dude: ITS UNRANKED
me: yeah, and i'm practicing making calls like I would in any actual game
angry dude: JUST SHUT THE gently caress UP YOU ARE SO ANNOYING

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

To be fair, people on casual formats are there, because they don't want to tryhard.

You can't become better at comp, by playing casual formats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

What the gently caress is diff