Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

gently caress yeah! Walleye that size are the tastiest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Hell yeah! Walleye and Perch are my favorite fish to eat. I just had some of both yesterday.

It was prepared by a restaurant, but whatever. It was right on Lake Erie, and fishing boats launch from the town harbour so it was at least reasonably fresh and not frozen!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Walleye is basically king poo poo of fresh water fish as far as eating. Not that other fish aren't also outstanding, but that ugly mf just can't be beat. Sad I have to drive so far to even have a small chance to catch them down south.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Sickening posted:

Walleye is basically king poo poo of fresh water fish as far as eating. Not that other fish aren't also outstanding, but that ugly mf just can't be beat. Sad I have to drive so far to even have a small chance to catch them down south.

I once ate some rainbow trout from a high elevation lake that got infested with introduced crawfish. Their stomach was just stuffed with the little goobers.
The meat was as red as ocean run salmon and just as oily. It was amazing.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
Haven't had much opportunity to fish this summer so it was great to have some time outside!

I went boat camping on a lake for a couple of days. The campsite was on a river inlet just down from a waterfall.
Cutthroat trout were feeding within view of the campsite. Even managed to catch one!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Nice fish, and man that scenery! This thread turned up above the bass (guitar) megathread in my bookmarks tonight, I clicked this thinking it was the bass thread and immediately said that's a fuckin trout. Then I realized it was indeed in the right thread.

MoonCricket
Oct 26, 2002
Yea wish we had that sort of wilderness down here. Nice pictures, nice place

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Clear water is so pretty and yet so hard to fish.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
It was a beautiful spot! Central Vancouver Island.
Near crystal clear water but the trout were hungry. Old standby black woolly bugger did the trick.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I'm looking to get a new fillet knife. I've used cheapo Berkeley and Rapala knives over the years and I'd like something that holds an edge.
I don't really want to go all out on a wusthof or anything. Are there decent mid-priced knives worth the premium? I've been seeing the Bubba Blade 7.5" and Dalstrong 7" come up but thought I'd query the thread.

Fresh water btw. Mostly cleaning Walleye, Bass, and the occasional Pike. I don't fillet trout.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Math You posted:

I'm looking to get a new fillet knife. I've used cheapo Berkeley and Rapala knives over the years and I'd like something that holds an edge.
I don't really want to go all out on a wusthof or anything. Are there decent mid-priced knives worth the premium? I've been seeing the Bubba Blade 7.5" and Dalstrong 7" come up but thought I'd query the thread.

Fresh water btw. Mostly cleaning Walleye, Bass, and the occasional Pike. I don't fillet trout.

I bought a Morakniv with composite handle for like $30 on Amazon. Am very happy with edge retention and quality.

https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Companion-Filet-Knife-6-1/dp/B08LZTWM8P/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=B08LZTWM8P&th=1

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Math You posted:

I am lazy and just use an electric knife. Its faster and easier, but less elegant. I have owned a few and I can't say there are any that I would have an issue with.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Sickening posted:

I am lazy and just use an electric knife. Its faster and easier, but less elegant. I have owned a few and I can't say there are any that I would have an issue with.

Sorry I should have noted I do most of my fish cleaning in the Backcountry

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Math You posted:

I wouldn't buy a corded electric knife. Bubba's even sell you two rechargeable batteries. If you mean not even batteries, then fair enough.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 19, 2022

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Math You posted:

Got my dad a North Arm fillet knife a couple years ago. Still sharp after probably a few hundred walleye and bonus I don't have to clean fish cause he won't let me touch the thing. Little expensive but probably one of the few fishing things actually worth splurging on considering how long they last.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

For any of you trout, panfish, or BFS enthusiasts in general.... let me tell you that I have been doing a ton of bfs fishing. About any species I can fish for in texas and oklahoma. I have tried a bunch of rods. I have owned a wide selection of reels. Let me wasted money, my time, and my terrible opinion know some things that I have learned.

DAIWA GekkaBijin AIR TW PE is the best bfs reel that exists. Its like 260 bucks right now straight from japan and its pretty easy to find. The drag is as good or better than you expect on light spinning gear with the better casting. I just don't know how the loving thing could be improved upon any more. You can throw the tinnest poo poo on this for trout, panfish, all the way up to stuff for bass all in a single loving reel. It even looks loving cool. After about 6 months of fishing my rear end off with this thing, it makes me not want to fish with anything else. Everything else feels like wasted money.

Do not buy shimano bfs reels. If you have never used bfs before, its going to seem like its amazing. They just aren't as good as the Daiwa air reels. So much so I feel like they are at best, 40% worse. I wish I had known a few years ago, but here we are. Not worth the money at all.

Rods have been less important for me. There are so many options at so many price points and performance is just too hard to measure. All I give a poo poo about is going light as I can while picking between fast and moderate tips so I can fish single hook vs treble. Thats its. There was a youtube person talking about this Jenko Double Down BFS Casting Rod for a while, I thought the rod looked dumb and never bought it. After trying it out though through a friend, I have to say its maybe the best general purpose bfs rod that exists. It might look a little dumb imo, but you can just do about everything with it.

So long story short, new daiwa BFS reels replace all spinning reels for me and don't buy shimano BFS garbo.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Oh and yay for never having to use a spinning reel ever again.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

What's bfs

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Baitcasters that can cast much lighter lures and use much lighter line. Basically any reason you use a spinning reel.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
That's cool, thanks for the heads up. Personally, I don't enjoy casting with spinning reels. Baitcasters are fun to use imo

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdsVAu5iDzc&t=570s

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
Caught a beautiful little coho salmon on a beach within walking distance of my home. It's very rare for me to see the salmon within reach of my extremely limited casting capability. A real treat!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Puget sound?

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
Close! I'm on the east coast of Vancouver Island.

MoonCricket
Oct 26, 2002

Sickening posted:

DAIWA GekkaBijin AIR TW PE is the best bfs reel that exists.

I JUST dropped in this thread with the idea of a dedicated blue gill / crappie type rod and reel. I had some questions I had typed up and posted but I just reread your reply more thoroughly and you answered many of them.
1/64 crappie jigs with 1" plastic is good to go. Any specific rod recommends?

MoonCricket fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 10, 2022

MoonCricket
Oct 26, 2002

Sickening posted:

Oh and yay for never having to use a spinning reel ever again.

This reel looks loving awesome and I'm ordering one. I have to find and pick out a rod now

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

MoonCricket posted:

I JUST dropped in this thread with the idea of a dedicated blue gill / crappie type rod and reel. I had some questions I had typed up and posted but I just reread your reply more thoroughly and you answered many of them.
1/64 crappie jigs with 1" plastic is good to go. Any specific rod recommends?

Compared to a spinning rod? Yes, I feel its almost as easy on modern BFS reels. Light braided line (the japenese lines are just better) and a well tuned modern BFS reel makes it pretty painless. The drag is also an amazing thing and makes the entire thing possible.

MoonCricket posted:

This reel looks loving awesome and I'm ordering one. I have to find and pick out a rod now

This is hard to answer because there are so many options. It mainly depends on what your goals are. If its trout, shorter rods and even two piece rods are more of an option and there are tons out there.

Personally I have these rods.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-micro-lite-graphite-casting-rod-black
https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Dobyns_Sierra_Ultra_Finesse_Casting_Rods/descpage-SSUF.html

The first rod and most like it are what I would generally prefer for the more ultra light scenarios. Creeks and streams fishing for trout and panfish. Short rods with shorter handles which I can fling little lures. You almost have to go off the path to find good rods like this,
but they are everywhere if you look. They are also pretty cheap in this type of situation. Lots of rods in the 20 buck range if you don't mind two piece rods (two piece rods are a big selling point for people needing to hike or go through heavy cover to reach remote streams).

The second is more of your bass and other larger end of the BFS targets where longer rods make more sense. Good ones in this category can also be more expensive without really giving you a lot of bang for your buck. I only ever suggest going down this rabbit hole until you have tried the short ultra light rods first or you just have some money to burn.

MoonCricket
Oct 26, 2002

Sickening posted:

Light braided line (the japenese lines are just better)

Been using power pro and seaguar leaders. What japanese line should I look for I can easily get in the US?

Sickening posted:

This is hard to answer because there are so many options. It mainly depends on what your goals are. If its trout, shorter rods and even two piece rods are more of an option and there are tons out there.
Trout is the reason I bought my original 2pc 5ft rod/reel for and it is a basspro $50 shimano/ugly stick beater. I am fine hiking into creeks and such with this rod reel but also that use I bought it for I fully accept I will break the rod one day. I'm in the southeast and the sipsey wilderness is stocked with trout year-round but I have drifted away from hiking to kayaking more frequently.

Sickening posted:

Personally I have these rods.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-micro-lite-graphite-casting-rod-black
https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Dobyns_Sierra_Ultra_Finesse_Casting_Rods/descpage-SSUF.html

The first rod and most like it are what I would generally prefer for the more ultra light scenarios. Creeks and streams fishing for trout and panfish. Short rods with shorter handles which I can fling little lures. You almost have to go off the path to find good rods like this,
but they are everywhere if you look. They are also pretty cheap in this type of situation. Lots of rods in the 20 buck range if you don't mind two piece rods (two piece rods are a big selling point for people needing to hike or go through heavy cover to reach remote streams).

The second is more of your bass and other larger end of the BFS targets where longer rods make more sense. Good ones in this category can also be more expensive without really giving you a lot of bang for your buck. I only ever suggest going down this rabbit hole until you have tried the short ultra light rods first or you just have some money to burn.

I fished as a kid with my uncle and recently got back into it so I had a base to start with BUT rod choice has been my achilles heel and a few I have had second thoughts. In kayak accessible water would you still opt for the shorter rod vs say a 6-7ft rod? My vision is slinging small jigs for preferably crappie but really any panfish meal-worthy

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

MoonCricket posted:

Been using power pro and seaguar leaders. What japanese line should I look for I can easily get in the US?

Trout is the reason I bought my original 2pc 5ft rod/reel for and it is a basspro $50 shimano/ugly stick beater. I am fine hiking into creeks and such with this rod reel but also that use I bought it for I fully accept I will break the rod one day. I'm in the southeast and the sipsey wilderness is stocked with trout year-round but I have drifted away from hiking to kayaking more frequently.

I fished as a kid with my uncle and recently got back into it so I had a base to start with BUT rod choice has been my achilles heel and a few I have had second thoughts. In kayak accessible water would you still opt for the shorter rod vs say a 6-7ft rod? My vision is slinging small jigs for preferably crappie but really any panfish meal-worthy

I prefer shorter rods while kayaking.

MoonCricket
Oct 26, 2002

Sickening posted:

I prefer shorter rods while kayaking.

Hey thank you for throwing all those thoughts out there. Changed my plan for the better by far

MoonCricket fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 10, 2022

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I need to try the BFS thing because my spinning gear never gets used.

As I have dipped my toes in the Daiwa baitcasting waters I find myself wanting to move more that way. I've been using a Zillion SV TW on my jerkbait rod and it is spectacular. I don't touch the spool tension knob and run between 6 and 12 on the brake dial (max of 20 I think). I thought the clicking drag was gimmicky but in actual use it's very nice.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Easychair Bootson posted:

I need to try the BFS thing because my spinning gear never gets used.

As I have dipped my toes in the Daiwa baitcasting waters I find myself wanting to move more that way. I've been using a Zillion SV TW on my jerkbait rod and it is spectacular. I don't touch the spool tension knob and run between 6 and 12 on the brake dial (max of 20 I think). I thought the clicking drag was gimmicky but in actual use it's very nice.

The latest braking tech really leaves me setting an optimal spool tension for casting distance and then never touching it again. All other reel manufacturers but Shimano have figured out that an easy to access brake knob is way more convenient.

The clicking drag is just so good.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I've only ever used spinning reels, as I only ever have one rod with me and I need to be able to do everything with it. Small and medium lures, trolling, jigging, etc.
My understanding is the baitcasters are really only for... casting baits. Do the BFCs just cast smaller baits than traditional ones? Is that enough for them to work with a single rod setup?
They sound pretty cool but I'm just not familiar enough with them to know if I'd run into issues.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Math You posted:

I've only ever used spinning reels, as I only ever have one rod with me and I need to be able to do everything with it. Small and medium lures, trolling, jigging, etc.
My understanding is the baitcasters are really only for... casting baits. Do the BFCs just cast smaller baits than traditional ones? Is that enough for them to work with a single rod setup?
They sound pretty cool but I'm just not familiar enough with them to know if I'd run into issues.

The short answer: yes. This was my exact issue long ago. Check out the video below. Not my favorite youtube person, but the video puts it into perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjZHs5cbRn8

I personally target fish all the way from bluegill all the way up to freshwater striper in a single fishing setup. This is the only way to do it in my opinion in a single real.

MoonCricket
Oct 26, 2002
On the BFS reel talk and this is all new to me. I have the gekkabijin on the way along with the basspro light casting rod. Looking for my line now -- The daiwa j-braid grand x8 is standing out in 6lb. If I am reading it all right I think this is the closest to 0.6 GOU that the gekkabijin is rated for? Other ones that stood out is the Varivas options (maybe the super trout in orange) that actually list the GOU but from first looks varivas is twice the price. Any thoughts? This will be for light jigs to light bobbers for panfish/crappie mostly and some trout of the stocked variety.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

So a bfs is a baitcaster with a smaller lighter spool for casting lighter gear?

My only experience with a baitcaster of any kind is my vintage 80's abu ambassadeur and i can't figure out how to set it up and use it. I take it out every so often to try to figure it out but i always wind up just using spinning gear.

Fortunately i have no complaints about spinning gear in general, it's always been easy / problem- free for me.

titties fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 11, 2022

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

MoonCricket posted:

On the BFS reel talk and this is all new to me. I have the gekkabijin on the way along with the basspro light casting rod. Looking for my line now -- The daiwa j-braid grand x8 is standing out in 6lb. If I am reading it all right I think this is the closest to 0.6 GOU that the gekkabijin is rated for? Other ones that stood out is the Varivas options (maybe the super trout in orange) that actually list the GOU but from first looks varivas is twice the price. Any thoughts? This will be for light jigs to light bobbers for panfish/crappie mostly and some trout of the stocked variety.

This is what I have used so far.

https://www.amazon.com/Yo-Zuri-Superbraid-Floating-Braid-Green/dp/B01MF5T3HQ/ref=sr_1_57?crid=2MUDXJVMPPLV9&keywords=braided+fishing+line&qid=1665449137&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI4LjIyIiwicXNhIjoiNy43NSIsInFzcCI6IjcuNDgifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=braided+fishing+line%2Caps%2C114&sr=8-57

I have also used various 14 pound japanese lines of various names I can't remember that I could only buy on their websites and have shipped to the US. Japanese lines are just better because they are stronger for their diameter and smoother. They are less abbrasion resistant though so they aren't idea for your tradition 1/2-3/4 ounce bass lures. BFS has way different needs and diameter and smoothness are more imporant.

At the end of the day power pro 10 pound would also be an easy academy outdoor purchase. That ore the 10 pound strike king contra also is pretty good as well as suffix 10 pound. In American line, 10 pound is my sweet spot.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

This might sound kinda whiny but I'm frustrated with my fishing game and trying to reason through what i can do to improve things. I've done alright this year as a newbie I guess, but I've spent a lot of time going to water that wasn't productive or wasn't fishable and I'm not sure how to tell if i'm trying to fish unproductive water or just need to get gud.

The biggest annoyances I've had:

Vegetation. I've done a handful of 1-2 hr trips and lots of short drives this year that ended up with me at a lake with 50 feet of lily pads or hydrilla all the way around the bank. I realize you /can/ fish that stuff say if you're a bass guy but goddamn if I know how just trying to float fish or throw a spinner or jig.

Getting to the fish from the bank.

Fishing pressure. Driving an hour or two away from the city is doable in the technical sense but it sucks to spend the time and gas to get to a hydrilla farm or watch guys on boats catch 'em 100 yards away all day.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I love baitcasters for jigging shallow water rockfish… still like 80ft down. 12lb test hits the sweet spot for fun not constantly snapping gear off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Crab Dad posted:

I love baitcasters for jigging shallow water rockfish… still like 80ft down. 12lb test hits the sweet spot for fun not constantly snapping gear off.

My setup of choice as well, big baitcaster with 15lb braid and a smaller weight than the deckhands want me to use, my 3oz sinker will get it down just as well as the 8oz sinkers you're recommending.. just not at the speeds that will knock out other fish on the way down.