Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

ninjewtsu posted:

the witch from mercury is about schoolkids engaging in a (nominally) safe 1v1 duel competition that their social life revolves around. despite being safe for the duelists the stakes on each duel are absurdly high, potentially deciding the future trajectory of the participant's lives. corporations are directly looking into these child-activities and have a vested interest in their outcomes.

this is gundam yugioh. the fights are gundam's version of duel monsters.

https://twitter.com/rittano/status/1577263048766939137

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Incidentally, I'm figuring that it's Papa Jeturk, not Delling, who's a dead man walking, and it may well be that he won't even survive past the next episode. Delling's all-in on ruling by terror, and that means the consequences for trying to assassinate him will be extreme and gruesome. Plus, narratively speaking, it's how he gets to show off how he's remained top dog for so long in an environment this chaotic and brutal.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm curious to see what ship lady's deal is. Smuggler for her fellow Earthicans?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/Ninjamaster_73/status/1579303910832939008

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm curious to see what ship lady's deal is. Smuggler for her fellow Earthicans?

Seemed pretty clearly to be character actress Margo Martindale straight off the pages of Bojack Horseman’s writing for her.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

personally i think we should have had more screentime devoted to mio and sulleta getting to know eachother

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

apparently the most recent issue of newtype specifically talks about how this gundam was written to appeal more to women/young girls, which i think makes a lot of sense in terms of the utena inspiration, stuff like elan's 'i wont fall in love...,' letting mio yell at her dad, etc.

obvs shoujo stuff can still have heavy politics and war themes (i mean this is clearly having some of that), and, say, 00 was clearly meant to appeal to girls some too, but i feel like this is the first gundam where the show is bottom-up aimed at that demo rather than just making a gundam show but with hotter guys being sadder like 00, seed, or wing. so i do think some amount of the narrative focus is being shifted around due to that intention. if the goal is to get younger women who have never seen a gundam before watching, it'd explain the decision to leave heavy lore dumps about previous wars out of the first few episodes, for instance.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

personally i think we should have had more screentime devoted to mio and sulleta getting to know eachother
well suletta was in gay baby jail for the entire ep and the first ep had to get a lot done in a pretty short amount of time. we'll probably get more of that in ep 3 or 4, either before or after the next duel.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Stairmaster posted:

Right now the whole thing is that they're being forced together by circumstance. They're both pawns of their parents. They can get to know each other as they go along.

I do like how they're making Miorine the prime mover here. She's the one with the forceful personality that's actually bending the course of events, and Suletta is her knight in shining armor. It's a good dynamic, and not one new to Gundam

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I like the bread that had a logo on it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Right now the whole thing is that they're being forced together by circumstance. They're both pawns of their parents. They can get to know each other as they go along.

I do like how they're making Miorine the prime mover here. She's the one with the forceful personality that's actually bending the course of events, and Suletta is her knight in shining armor. It's a good dynamic, and not one new to Gundam
its sort of an interesting inversion of utena because while anthy wasnt passive exactly she was very much playing the passive role socially and her actions were carefully calculated and relatively subtle. mio just barges into everywhere she can get and makes demands, even though she knows she doesnt have any power.

the inversion of anthy growing roses to mio growing tomatoes is also kind of interesting. roses are pretty, but tomatoes are a more practical, 'earthy' kind of thing to grow.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

The amount of food was clearly not enough for Suletta and she leaped into Mios arms for more tomatoes.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Stairmaster posted:

Suletta hasn't even gotten to have a single normal day at school yet, so I'd wager this is coming.

It's actually funny to think about how Suletta's school experience so far has been "rescue a student in space, immediately get sucked into a duel with the school's top bully, get mobile suit jacked, fight and win said duel, then get thrown in prison".

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Kanos posted:

Suletta hasn't even gotten to have a single normal day at school yet, so I'd wager this is coming.

It's actually funny to think about how Suletta's school experience so far has been "rescue a student in space, immediately get sucked into a duel with the school's top bully, get mobile suit jacked, fight and win said duel, then get thrown in prison".

"thanks mom"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kanos posted:

frankly sounds better than my high school experience

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Kanos posted:

"Just like one of my animes!"

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I hope we get to see more of the world outside the school/a corporate board room soon. Let me see how the common earthian/spacian lives.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

First it's bread watermarks, next it'll be bread DRM

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

frankly sounds better than my high school experience

There's only so many megacorp princesses to go around, not everyone can get engaged to one.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
that first bar of "Mission Accomplished" always tickles me

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

That short novella thing mentioned that suletta spent a ton of time watching animes about school and building up some crazy fantastical idea of school in her head, in lieu of any real social interaction with peers. I think "concept of social interactions is largely formed by watching anime" might be an interesting angle for them to use for suletta, but if they did that they'd almost certainly have her trying to be meta or self aware and I really hope they don't go in that direction with it.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I figure if Delling gets offed, the success will be all sorts of poo poo. As much as a tyrant as he is, he also kept everyone focused and got all the hate directed at him too. As much as papa Jeturk was angling to take him down and replace him in one go, he's demonstrated no qualities that'd allow him to just be a substitute or a compelling replacement. Obviously he could be obfuscating poo poo all the way to the end but given how much the show likes to hint at things, I don't think this would be a thing it'd hide from us.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I should note that Vim Jeturk appearntly has a good relationship with Delling, he literally says that the assassination is nothing personal.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

ninjewtsu posted:

That short novella thing mentioned that suletta spent a ton of time watching animes about school and building up some crazy fantastical idea of school in her head, in lieu of any real social interaction with peers. I think "concept of social interactions is largely formed by watching anime" might be an interesting angle for them to use for suletta, but if they did that they'd almost certainly have her trying to be meta or self aware and I really hope they don't go in that direction with it.

to be fair their school is extremely anime, in fact it's entirely anime.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I fully get the impression that Prospera/Elnora knows, and is counting on, basically everyone in the benerit group being thoroughly tired of Deilling’s poo poo at this point and eager to find an excuse to dump his fanatical rear end. She almost certainly let Jeturk in on something, and it makes sense: either A, Aerial is a GUND-arms suit and Mercury has solved the pilot-killing issue to the point that a 17 year old girl can safely use it, which makes the technology suddenly extremely viable and Deilling’s witch-hunting org is now an obstacle to profit and success; or B, they’ve radically advanced drone tech to the point that it matches GUND-arms performance, at which point it’s still an extremely valuable tech and Deilling stands to gently caress it all up for everyone because he’s crazy and fanatical. Either way, Jeturk and other members of the group are served with the same facts: they stand to make a shitload if money if they allow Mercury to continue their shenanigans, and Deilling has openly volunteered himself as an obstacle, and in their capitalist minds getting rid of him is more important enough to risk his wrath.

Seems likely to me that the AI takes the brunt of the data storm to safeguard the pilot. So shes able to bullshit around Aerial being a gundam since the pilot stays safe.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Argas posted:

I figure if Delling gets offed, the success will be all sorts of poo poo. As much as a tyrant as he is, he also kept everyone focused and got all the hate directed at him too. As much as papa Jeturk was angling to take him down and replace him in one go, he's demonstrated no qualities that'd allow him to just be a substitute or a compelling replacement. Obviously he could be obfuscating poo poo all the way to the end but given how much the show likes to hint at things, I don't think this would be a thing it'd hide from us.
yeah the only way to make the killing of Delling not seem like a cool thing to do is if we found out that he was a Q-style secret good guy who was really was concealing a Terrible Gundam Secret from your ankle-biting usurpers like Jeturk & others.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So with all the shock when Prospera talks about drone technology can we assume that the war Delling fought in was primarily fought with drones? I'm not expecting something like an AI apocalypse war akin to the Calamity War or an 86-style killbots romp. Maybe just a war where drone combat got so nasty in targeting organic soldiers that it's another technology that is feared for its destructive power. It would also make the Wing comparisons even stronger.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TenementFunster posted:

double-standard lovely dad!

https://twitter.com/wakoudo2929/status/1579468878052483072

'dubstep lovely dad!'

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

:shobon:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

So with all the shock when Prospera talks about drone technology can we assume that the war Delling fought in was primarily fought with drones? I'm not expecting something like an AI apocalypse war akin to the Calamity War or an 86-style killbots romp. Maybe just a war where drone combat got so nasty in targeting organic soldiers that it's another technology that is feared for its destructive power. It would also make the Wing comparisons even stronger.

I'd think if it was that bad, you'd have more people going full burn the witch there when Suletta's mom brought up drones. Gundams we're a hypothetical war crime. Drones actually saw the battlefield. One would seem more relevant than the other.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/BeeDubsProwl/status/1579295127503134720

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I think their school shorts are super dumb looking... Guel's supposed to be this badass pilot guy but he's wearing white knee-length shorts... AFTER LABOR DAY

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Buschmaki posted:

I think their school shorts are super dumb looking... Guel's supposed to be this badass pilot guy but he's wearing white knee-length shorts... AFTER LABOR DAY

As someone who had to wear shorts as part of school dress code, I can confirm that they are in fact dumb as hell.

e: Shorts and over-the-calf socks :barf:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Well they won't be white any more

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

i really like the score for this show. the composer looks to have mostly done live action besides the PSO anime, the gundam twilight axis ona, and shinkalion. hope he gets to score some more anime

enjoying the actual show too, the "ace" getting completely shredded in ep 1 was hilarious.

did i miss when they said what a "witch" is in the context of the show, or do we not know yet? they used the term a lot in ep 2

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

JoeGlassJAw posted:

i really like the score for this show. the composer looks to have mostly done live action besides the PSO anime, the gundam twilight axis ona, and shinkalion. hope he gets to score some more anime

enjoying the actual show too, the "ace" getting completely shredded in ep 1 was hilarious.

did i miss when they said what a "witch" is in the context of the show, or do we not know yet? they used the term a lot in ep 2

witch = gundam in this setting

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I thought it meant Gundam pilot

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

"Witch" got mentioned in the prologue episode, too, though more metaphorically. When Delling was comparing the purging of gundam technology to being the Hammer of Witches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Runa posted:

"Witch" got mentioned in the prologue episode, too, though more metaphorically. When Delling was comparing the purging of gundam technology to being the Hammer of Witches

So you're saying

It's the Gundam Hammer