Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Ambitious Spider posted:

Shin ultraman streaming anywhere? Or do I have to check local theatres?

It's a fansub of some sort I think, it's mentioned in the toku thread, watched it at a friend's house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Ambitious Spider posted:

He didn’t write the script, though he did wrote the script for Mohawk which rules and is good watch for picnic at hanging rock, especially on indigenous peoples day.

I’ll come back to my 10 and 11 a bit later, since I haven’t written anything for them yet (although they’re Hocus Pocus and Suspiria so I doubt I’ll be anywhere near untrod ground), but I just finished:

12. Mohawk (2017)

The first hour or so of this movie is an action film with survival horror elements about a Mohawk woman—played by arguably the most famous Indigenous actor of the last ten years, Kaniehtiio Horn—and the other two-thirds of her throuple trying to rally some Native allies against the Amerikkkans during the War of 1812.

The last half hour or so, though, is when she’s pushed to the brink and has to summon more than just her strength to combat a small, renegade group of militiamen led by Ezra Buzzington and his crazy-rear end ears. Here is where we go horror mode as our genocidal baddies are picked off one by one.

One of the lead character’s two lovers is an Englishman played by Eamon Farren who lives among the Mohawk. I mention him because I’d basically only seen him as Audrey’s son on Twin Peaks: The Return, where he is a massive piece of poo poo; here he comes off sweet and likable, and if this movie was made just a liiittle later when we’re all proudly doing gay stuff, I bet he and Calvin (her other lover, a Mohawk) would’ve kissed too! Alas.

I’m probably gonna three-star it on Letterboxd, but if any of the stuff mentioned here appeals to you and you’re down for watching some musket sniping stuff before anyone starts swinging a hatchet check it out.

Anyway, as far as horror elements, you’ve got being stalked in the wilderness. You’ve got a handful of gruesome kills. You’ve got the vengeful left-for-dead. So although I think it might be debatable, gently caress it, we’ll count it. Free Turtle Island, death to Amerikkka, land back y’all.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Dipped my toes into the thrillerish side of things for a couple of these.

11.Gaslight (Bingo: Zombie Honeymoon) - I've known this was the source of the term gaslighting, so have been interested in watching it for a while. It is, unsurprisingly, the quintessential example of gaslighting. Paul is so abusive and manipulative to somebody who never does anything, it is a touch disturbing to see such an abusive relationship. Extremely well written, good payoffs, good stuff. 4/5

12. Dude Bro Party Massacre 3 - The sequel to 2 previous (nonexistent) movies, this follows a murdered frat-bro's twin as he joins his brother's frat trying to uncover the truth. Presented as a lost VHS recording, complete with fragments of commercials. The jokes are hit and miss, but pretty nonstop and doesn't dwell on any misses for too long so it's pretty entertaining throughout. I really appreciate that it doesn't rely heavily on any references like scary movie/etc - the humor is pretty standalone. It even has some pretty creative kills. Wouldn't say there's much depth here, but definitely worth tossing into the rotation for some laughs. 3.75/5

13. One Hour Photo - (Bingo: Yuppie Nightmare): It was pretty interesting to see Robin Williams in this role, and he did a great job of just being slightly...off. Does a good job of just kinda building up tension, - he's just always a little bit awkward and a bit too clingy, and you're never sure how far he's going to go. Lots of little uncomfortable moments and at the end it's more of a tragic story. Didn't realize immediately until after that what he did to the cheating father was what had been done to him as a child - it was in the end just outrage that somebody blessed with such a good life could squander it. The little Neon Genesis Evangelion bit was also pretty funny. 4/5

14. Psycho (Bingo: Highbrow Horror) - I guess it should be obvious it's been remastered, but wow this looked great. The kills were amazingly intense for how little they actually showed. Great preformances all around, and the story was gripping. The first kill actually happened way earlier than I would have thought, but the movie continued as a sort of tense crime mystery, and it was great. I had an idea of the twist, but it still had a satisfying climax. I think the psychology at the end hasn't aged too well, but otherwise a masterpiece. 5/5

15. Deadstream (Bingo: Hausu) - A cancelled streamer tries to face his fear and regain his following by staying a night in a haunted house. Wow, this was great! The best combination of humor and actual scares I've seen - the humor really kept me fully engaged which elevated the impact of the scares. The livestream element was really pulled off well - lore dumps, random chat comic relief, fun camera setups, and providing the motivation to stick around. There was obviously a lower budget here, but it was so clever with the scares that it never mattered. Saw it with a couple friends, and would definitely recommend that - it's great. 5/5

16. Sadako VS Kayako (Bingo: Masters of Horror) - Went with Koji Shiraishi for the bingo, but this ended up being pretty disappointing. You'd think something called Sadako VS Kayako wouldn't have a bit of fun, but it played everything pretty straight - with so many movies behind them this doesn't really work too well. It kinda ran a pretty straightforward death house and cursed video plot side by side, then introduced a weird exorcist who felt like he was pulled right out of an anime, and used that to bridge the gaps. Perhaps the biggest issue was it was just slow, there were a handful of fun scenes, but it just took forever to get to any of them. 2/5

New watches: 1: The Empty Man 2: Triangle, 3: Fright Night 2011 4: The Blair Witch Project 5. Werewolf Castle 6. The Gate 7. Shock 8. Chopping Mall 9: Gaslight 10: Dude Bro Party Massacre 3 11: One Hour Photo 12: Psycho 13: Deadstream 14: Sadako VS Kayako
Rewatches: 1: Ravenous 2: Noroi: The Curse
Decades 8/10: 1940s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, 2010s, 2020s

Lhet fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 10, 2022

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Whoa whoa wait, time out.
Hatchet for the Honeymoon (1970)
Il rosso segno della follia
Directed by Mario Bava

🎃 Masters of Horror 🎃

"I'm just an ordinary girl. I adore luxury. I'm terribly lazy."

If I told you that Hatchet for the Honeymoon was a very stylish movie about a serial killer who murders women as soon as he can after they are married, that he does this because of some kind of bizarre unresolved childhood trauma involving his mother, and that he manages to descend further into madness as the movie progresses, you should believe me. It looks great, but it's not a top-tier Bava.

👻👻👻/5

October Challenge 4/31
1. Blood Feast (1963), 2. Sunshine (2007), 3. Relic (2020), 4. Mortuary (2005)

Spooky Bingo 10/36
1. Rodan (1956), 2. Carrie (2013), 3. Gargoyles (1972), 4. Ticks (1993), 5. Penda’s Fen (1974), 6. Crimson Peak (2015), 7. A Field in England (2013), 8. The Ghost of Yotsuya (1959), 9. Carnival of Sinners (1943), 10. Hatchet for the Honeymoon (1970)

Total 14/?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Osteology
-watch a movie with "Bone(s)", "Skull(s)", "Skeleton(s)", or other osteological terms in the title.

#48.) Bone Eater (2007; Tubi)

An animate super-skeleton is awakened by construction activity on a Native American graveyard, and it starts going around disintegrating offenders.

Somehow not late enough in Wynorski's career to prevent him from signing up William Katt, Walter Koenig, Bruce Boxleitner (as the local sheriff), and Michael Horse. Sure, Katt gets killed off after three minutes of screen time, and Horse gets to film almost all of his scenes while sitting down, but still. The tiny-town vibes are done well, which is odd, since the characters are so thinly rendered, even the ones with whom we spend the most time. The sheriff gets scenes showing us that he's a worried father, that he's at odds with his native heritage, that he has the support of his co-workers, and so on... but none of it really sticks to flesh out his presence on-screen. It's a lucky break for Wynorski that his chosen cast has enough charisma to carry the movie without too much drag.

The super-skeleton is mute, so it doesn't have much opportunity to build up a sense of character, but it does have a sweet dust-horse that it rides when it needs some extra speed. It also doesn't get much variety to its kills; it touches someone, they dissolve into dust. Nice and clean for SyFy S&P, at least. The story bumps along like you expect it to, with the evil land developer running afoul of the good local people, a chosen one rising to the occasion, and expendable employees getting wasted just for getting in the way of the monster. But it's told without too much bad material bogging it down, and the actors are overqualified for what's going on, so it grew on me more than I expected.

“What you're doing is wrong, Dad, and you know it.”

:spooky: Rating: 5/10

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

- (26). Warm Bodies (2013)
Written and directed by Jonathan Levine; Based on Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

A rewatch that I made while I was feeling very sick and having a terrible day and just needed a little pick me up. And while this wasn’t nearly as funny or comedic as I thought it would be it ended up being the sweet pick me up I needed. I probably haven’t seen it in close to a decade I remembered very little about it. The basic premise is all a little silly of course. Even watching it I’m not entirely sure why our heroine fell in love with a zombie aside from her friend’s observation that choices are limited in the apocalypse. There’s actually a totally cool little story even without the Romeo and Juliet thing. That whole theme feels more like the place where the story idea began but then kind of went somewhere else. The core theme of just a rejection of cynicism and the message that not giving up is important is the one that resonates more. Again, its a little hokey. The whole thing is corny for sure. And maybe I was just really low and needing a pick me up. But the basic theme of the Boneys and the Humans both having given up on living and that actually fighting to live is the quite literally magic cure to all this? Again, very corny but very sweet.

My understanding is the book actually gets more corny with it so I’m glad they toned it down a little. Its still very blatant and very silly but the movie does its best to deal with all of this as straight as it can. And its a refreshing change of course from the grueling knock down depression of other zombie media. Or horror. Or the internet. Or the world. Sometimes you gotta just watch a fairy tale. And that’s kind of what this is. Its not really presented like that. Its not really presented like a Shakespeare adaption either. The CGI doesn’t age awesome. The Boneys could have been more threatening. John Malkovich looks like he worked one day. I don’t know if it was a mistake to cast Dave Franco as the dead boyfriend or genius because he’s kind of a douche. Weirdly I think a zombie is Rod Corddry’s more serious role I’ve ever seen him play.

There’s a lot you could nitpick here and it might just be a little too twee or cheesy for you. At times it felt that way to me. But it ended up being exactly what I needed at that time. Just a light fun little movie with a nice message.

Franchescanado posted:

:spooky: SPOOKY BINGO 2022 Edition :spooky:
Whispers in the Dark
rewatch safe

-watch a film with a commentary (filmmaker, fan, special features, podcast)
-watch a new edit of a film you've seen before (e.g., director's cut, uncut version, fan edit)

- (27). Event Horizon: Slashed (2008) aka Killer Horizon aka a fan edit of Event Horizon (1997)

I love Event Horizon. I guess its polarizing. People don’t much like Paul Anderson and he obviously didn’t quite pay off with the promise of this early film instead just becoming a full-time wife guy. And Event Horizon isn’t without its flaws. It definitely doesn’t fully pay off on its hell idea and a lot of horror fans will be mad about that and not like the more actiony/quippy thing it does. God, people hate “quips” these days. And that seems to have been the driving force behind this fan edit I watched.

I’m not sure where I got the fan edit from. Someone shared it with me years ago and while I’ve never watched a fan edit I was curious since I like the original. Maybe this is the wrong way to approach these? Maybe you should only watch fan edits of movies you didn’t like and want to see improved? Its not that I don’t think there’s room for improvement for Event Horizon, its that the approach here just seemed terrible. The most generous interpretation I can give is that the editor wanted to remove the iffy CGI and moments of levity to make a tighter, more atmospheric horror. To that end on paper it kind of makes sense. You remove some jump scares, some light character moments, some exposition. It should work right? The problem is the result is a rather incoherent movie. So much of the explaining moments are gone but so are so many important moments where we get to know the characters and setting. There’s the famous scene where Sam Neill explains what a worm hole is. Its been memed and was even referenced in Thor: Love and Thunder. Well this edit cuts that scene up to remove some jokes. And not only does it give the seem an awkward flow but it cuts out part of the explanation. Its so weird. Like some of the cuts are so small they’re literally just to remove a one line joke. Cursed quip! But the editor’s desire to increase the severity of the tone of the movie doesn’t work because you just create the feeling of something missing. Its like those videos people make of sitcom scenes with the laugh track removed. Its awkward because that’s not how the scene was written, filmed, or edited. You’ve just removed something and that black space is noticeable.

And poor Richard T. Jones is drat near entirely cut from the movie. I mean maybe a couple of his sexual jokes don’t age well but man… its not a great look to cut the black dude nearly entirely out of the movie just because he told a lot of jokes.

That’s the big problem. This whole thing just has a very clumsy awkward feel. The original might have some pacing issues and maybe even you think it had tone issues and was too light. But this doesn’t fix that stuff, its really just makes it worse. And then there’s all these other random shots plugged in from other movies. And they’re just terrible. And its not just jokes. Laurence Fisburne’s encounter with a burning man is entirely removed from the film. But the scenes where he explains or reacts to it are still there. So like… what’s he talking about? Instead of the actual scene in question there’s a bunch of clips from movies like Deep Impact, Sunshine, and the Exorcism of Emily Rose tossed in. I get it. We’re going for a more Hell vision type psychological thing… but its not working. These scenes don’t fit and the movie isn’t reacting to them, its reacting to stuff you took out. But you know what we do have? Puzuzu. You know that one quick scene of him in The Exorcist that is so freaky because you can blink and miss it? Well what if we put that in here but like 12 times?

I really just hated this. And fair, I wasn’t in a great mood to start. And fair, I really like the original so I didn’t necessarily think it needed to be fixed. And fair, I like quippy action movies so that didn’t feel like something that had to be purged out of this movie. But I dunno. This is my first fan edit and I don’t know how likely I am to do it again. Obviously different people have different levels of skill. And some movies are probably more likely to be something I’d appreciate seeing edited. I’ve even been tempted to track down or do something like piecing the It movies together into one more book accurate story. But I dunno. I probably should have just watched the commentary track of Event Horizon.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I’ll come back to my 10 and 11 a bit later, since I haven’t written anything for them yet (although they’re Hocus Pocus and Suspiria so I doubt I’ll be anywhere near untrod ground), but I just finished:

12. Mohawk (2017)

The first hour or so of this movie is an action film with survival horror elements about a Mohawk woman—played by arguably the most famous Indigenous actor of the last ten years, Kaniehtiio Horn—and the other two-thirds of her throuple trying to rally some Native allies against the Amerikkkans during the War of 1812.

The last half hour or so, though, is when she’s pushed to the brink and has to summon more than just her strength to combat a small, renegade group of militiamen led by Ezra Buzzington and his crazy-rear end ears. Here is where we go horror mode as our genocidal baddies are picked off one by one.

One of the lead character’s two lovers is an Englishman played by Eamon Farren who lives among the Mohawk. I mention him because I’d basically only seen him as Audrey’s son on Twin Peaks: The Return, where he is a massive piece of poo poo; here he comes off sweet and likable, and if this movie was made just a liiittle later when we’re all proudly doing gay stuff, I bet he and Calvin (her other lover, a Mohawk) would’ve kissed too! Alas.

I’m probably gonna three-star it on Letterboxd, but if any of the stuff mentioned here appeals to you and you’re down for watching some musket sniping stuff before anyone starts swinging a hatchet check it out.

Anyway, as far as horror elements, you’ve got being stalked in the wilderness. You’ve got a handful of gruesome kills. You’ve got the vengeful left-for-dead. So although I think it might be debatable, gently caress it, we’ll count it. Free Turtle Island, death to Amerikkka, land back y’all.

Glad you mostly enjoyed it

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

It’s good! My personal rating is entirely subjective, I tend to like schlock more than well-made well-acted stuff lol

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

25: Crush The Skull

Holy wild tonal swings, Batman. I'll give credit where it's due, the movie doesn't slow down for a loving second, no matter if it's trying to do three genres in a single scene. A gang of burglars decide to carry out the typical One Last Big Score, only to discover the home belongs to a serial killer who locks himself in with them. So it's a home invasion movie, but backwards. The script is very Tarantino "everyone is irreverent and talks about off-topic stuff in a very rapidfire way", but enough of the gags land to be tolerable, and the performances are a good deal above what you'd expect from a movie on such an obviously low budget. Even got some pretty gnarly kills as a bonus.

3 out of 5!

25/31, watched: Scary Movie, Final Destination 4, Happy Death Day, Final Destination, No One Gets Out Alive, Smile, Freaky, Body Bags, Alien Psychosis, The Invisible Man, The Last Exorcism, Final Destination 2, Werewolves of the Third Reich, Unfriended, Final Destination 3, Hellraiser (2022), Deadstream, Final Destination 5, Village of the Damned, Piranha 3D, The Awakening, The Ruins, Sissy, Happy Death Day 2 U, Crush The Skull

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Yuppie Nightmare
The podcast With Gourley and Rust are doing a season of "Yuppie Nightmares", where wealthy/affluent happy people are “punished” for their success, or have their lives upturned by intruders, or accidentally invite problems into their lives.
-watch a film that qualifies as a Yuppie Nightmare.

#49.) The Vagrant (1992; Tubi)

A businessman buys a new home and moves in, only to be made increasingly distressed by a homeless man who lives in an empty lot across the street and keeps appearing in the house.

Bill Paxton plays Graham Krakowski, so perfectly yuppie that he could have been plucked from the pool of Patrick Bateman's co-workers. The very sight of the homeless man drives him to trembling fright, and with his unthinkable fear of losing his job, it's easy to understand why he's so fearful. It's not just the property value impact of the man's presence, it's the possibility he represents, the depths to which Graham could fall. As such, Graham can't just ignore him; he spies on the man with binoculars, he dreams about him, and his obsession quickly starts to impact his life. He suspects himself of sleepwalking, of rearranging things in his house in his sleep, of possibly committing murder in his sleep. His performance at work, where he's up for a promotion, starts to suffer. His whole life begins to disintegrate. And then the story takes some even weirder turns. Hell, the finale even takes place in a location that's like a cross between Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2's Battleland and Doctor Heller's carnival home from Mystery Men.

Mel Brooks served as executive producer, which should give some idea of the levels of absurdity this film reaches. The humor can go from very broad to very dark, and it put me in mind of Serial Mom more than once. I was somewhat disappointed with the development route they took with the homeless man, but it eventually became bonkers enough to win me back over. A really inventive musical score, too, pulling in all sorts of noises (cash registers in Graham's introductory theme, for instance) to evoke the shattering states of Graham's life. For something with a poster that's little more than a Home Alone joke, this went way above and beyond my expectations.

“We cannot apprehend a citizen on the basis of what he eats. Read the Constitution.”

:spooky: Rating: 8/10

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

11. Deadstream (2022)

I watched this because of everyone talking it up in the general horror thread, and I’m happy to say it delivered on the hype. This is like the 8th review of it in here so I won’t bother going deep into it, I’ll just echo the sentiments that it strikes a really good balance between mostly being a comedy while still having some genuine creepiness to it. The effects/creature work is really good, too.

4/5

12. Prince of Darkness (1987) [Masters of Horror]

This loving whips, I’m mad it took me until now to see it. Everything is good. Donald Pleasance rules, Victor Wong rules, Jameson Parker’s mustache rules, Dennis Dun’s terrible jokes rule. The plot isn’t particularly intricate but it all works and makes sense, which is always a gamble when you base a whole movie on some bit of metaphysics that you like the sound of.

The horror in this movie doesn’t really come from physical violence (though there is plenty), which makes the action sequences pretty fun when they’re just fights between normal-rear end people. I lost it during the climax when the way to get rid of several threats is just to chuck them out a window and worry about them later.

I can’t really be effusive enough with my praise here. Great writing, great direction, sentient goop in a 7-million-year-old container, Prince of Darkness has it all.

5/5

13. Puppet Master (1989) [Full Moon]

For something that spawned ten million sequels, this movie is really bad. It’s interminable, just glacially paced. Almost every shot feels like it lasts longer than it should, and it’s bloated with exposition and tacked on nudity. You can have a slow horror movie if the payoffs are good, but they’re pretty bad here. The stop motion puppetry is cool, but it’s clear that they couldn’t get the puppets to interact with the actors without looking like poo poo so all we get is a bunch of cutaways and, like, puppet arms in shots while everything else is just implied. The puppets themselves are only okay, too. I can see why Blade is the popular one, since he has the eyes that pop out and is the most straightforward, just being “the one with the knife hand”.

Part of why I dislike this might be because of my own preconceptions, I thought the puppets were supposed to be good guys (at least in a broad sense), but they’re just murderous here because they exist? They don’t actually seem to have anything to do with the villain has going on, especially since they kill him too, so I don’t know why you needed the villain at all. It’s revealed in like one line that he told the puppets to do it, but like, just make the movie about the loving puppets and get rid of this boring dude.

With this being so bad and the franchise ending up in the hands of actual neo-nazi adjacent creators, I don’t think I’m going to bother with any further entries.

1/5

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

24. Deadstream
USA, 2022. Dir. Vanessa Winter, Joseph Winter

:spooky:Hausu:spooky:

A cancelled youtube streamer tries to make his big comeback by livestreaming a night in a haunted house. Fantastic. Utterly fantastic. From the delightfully obnoxious main character, to the whole concept, to the effects, set design, editing, and creature work. Everything was top notch. Loved the justification and usage of the multiple camera setup, and the occasional popping in of the live chat. The writing was hilarious, and the scares were actually effective. This right here is the horror comedy gold standard. Highly, highly recommend.

9/10.

Stray thoughts:

Above all, I loved that there were setups and payoffs for practically everything that happens in this movie. Every single goddamn thing. Just very, very clever writing.

The little detail of him carrying around a cassette player with a spooky music mixed tape for atmosphere. Great.

What the hell was the deal with Mildred and picking his nose? Why, just why? Love that super-long finger reveal too.

Quote of the movie: "In the words of my manager, you've taken things too far. Way too far."

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I'm in for 15 this year.

1. Dracula 3000 (2004)
RIP Coolio. A group finds an abandoned spaceship and hops aboard to find out what happened. Spoiler: It was a vampire! This one is really dumb and unfortunately it's not especially fun to go along with it. Coolio seems like he's having a good time in it and he delivers the best line in the movie: "Did I ever tell you how many times I'd see you and want to ejaculate all over your bazonkas... All the times I stayed up late, high as a kite, in the non-gravitational atmosphere, while I stroked my anaconda, and dreamed about your snow-white rear end" It also stars Erika Eleniak, the playmate who was in the cake in Under Seige, and Tiny Lister, Deebo from Friday. Watched with some friends to have a laugh but we mostly ended up talking about other stuff because there wasn't a whole lot to it. I did love that when you finally see the vampire on the ship he doesn't look "outer space" at all. He has the powdered face and the frilly collar and everything and that was good for a laugh. 2/5

2. V/H/S Viral (2014)
I liked the first two of these but thought this one was mostly forgettable with one exception. I really really liked the segment "Parallel Monsters." It starts off with the premise that a man has created a portal to an alternate dimension that appears very similar to his own. He and the parallel universe 'him' swap universes for 15 minutes. The setup is great because it could go in so so many different ways and the director lays on the strange little bit by little bit and the whole experience is fantastic. I loving loved it. I looked up the writer/director afterwards and saw that he also directed Timecrimes which I really enjoyed also. I don't have much to say about the other entries. Many of them are only 10-15 minutes long but barely felt like they could remain interesting for that time. 2/5 overall but "Parallel Monsters" is a 5/5

3. Goodnight Mommy (2014)
Cold and unsettling and effective. Goodnight Mommy is about twin boys who suspect that something strange is going on with their mother after she returns from the hospital with bandages on her face. The story kept things interesting by very subtly shifting from seeming like there is something strange about the mother to realizing that actually there's something strange about the boys themselves. It was incredibly unpleasant but that was definitely the aim here. 4/5

4. Deadly Mile High Club (2020)
The friend that put this on said it was a Lifetime Original. It's about a flight instructor who loses her husband in a terrible plane crash but later meets a young married man also named Jake who she'll kill to be with. The plot is so so so goofy which keeps the entire thing entertaining. Our protagonist Tanya Jackson has Jake fly down to 500ft while they are near his house and OH what's this? Jake's wife is kissing another man in their front yard?? Another flight instructor is trying to steal Jake away?? This will not do! There's an incredible sequence near the end where Tanya uses chloroform to knock out Jake's wife and then load her into a box to dump in the ocean. Jake shows up as she's about to take off and they end up having sex on top of the box that his wife is inside while the plane is on autopilot. It's a great time if you wanna laugh with some friends. 4/5 for entertainment value.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Bingo: I am playing it.

Let me list off what I’ve watched so far and what I’m counting it for—

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (Golden Years)
Puppet Master (Full Moon)
Chopping Mall (Glitches)
The Blair Witch Project (V/H/S)
We’re All Going to the World’s Fair (Scream, Queen!)
— Another word on this: Jane Schoenbrun is the director, writer, and editor on this film. They are, per their personal site, “a non-binary American filmmaker, writers and curator committed to making and supporting personal, art-driven cinema”, and to that end they assembled a film that is about a lot of things but, among them, dysphoria. I think it’s a particularly interesting instance of queer film because no one in it is explicitly transgender. Schoenbrun has mentioned in multiple interviews that dysphoria was on their mind while making the film, but that transness was not; still, it’s a movie about using the Internet to perform, about the way you are perceived by other people and struggling with whether it matches your self-image. The ending, told from JLB’s perspective, is chilling and sad to me, because it presents a caricature of Casey as feminine, as misguided and girlish. JLB misimagined a fully human person based on his prejudices, his wishes, the assumptions he’d made. I don’t think it’s uncommon for cis people (like me! I know I’ve done this and it is shameful!) to do the same when their trans friends come out to them. You do not necessarily have insight into the inside of a person behind their performance, whether that be of gender or in an online game. And maybe it’s worth noting that “Casey”, the teenager’s chosen appellation, is a gender-neutral name.
Creepshow 2 (Tales of Terror)
The Lighthouse (Highbrow Horror)
— Do you wish to debate me on this?
Deadstream (Hausu)
Blood Beat (The Devil Made Me Do It)
— Technically it wasn’t the devil. It was an evil samurai. From the war maybe? This one I’ll brook some debate. If you insist.
Mohawk (Picnic at Hanging Rock)

And now, jumping back briefly from 12 (Mohawk) to 10 and 11…

10. Hocus Pocus (1993)
Bingo Category: Halloween is Special

*annoying voice* Where my 90s kids at????

Hocus Pocus is the jewel in the crown of Freeform’s Halloween programming and has been since Freeform was ABC Family, which is why I’ve chosen to fill this particular bingo box with it; it may have been theatrically released in July of 1993 but it’s hard to argue that these days it’s not considered a special lil treat for October consumption, and while it may not be my longtime Halloween favorite—I’m not even sure I’d seen it before last night!—it certainly is a lot of people’s.

It’s cool that a trio gets hanged, a little girl dies in the first couple minutes, Sarah Jessica Parker and a random bus driver are insanely horny, and no one can stop talking about virginity. When the witches make it to the 90s there’s a kid in a Michael Myers mask and a clown suit. Doug Jones had live moths tweezered into a latex sack in his mouth for a two-second visual gag. And there’s a lot of black cat action, which as a person who has one in their life, is right up my alley.

👍 for the young or far-too-young-at-heart.

11. Suspiria (1977)
Bingo Category: Masters of Horror

I accidentally made last night a witchy double feature!

The Master of Horror in question is Dario Argento, although his mastery has atrophied by (almost) all accounts in the intervening decades.

I haven’t really touched Italian cinema at all so the dubbing threw me off and had me double- and triple-checking whether it was supposed to look and sound like that, but ultimately I loved it—the colors and the visual effects already made large portions of the film feel dreamlike, and the ADR’d dialogue and sound effects just played into that.

Are the rest of the Three Mothers this good? Should I watch them? Let me know!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Are the rest of the Three Mothers this good? Should I watch them? Let me know!

I enjoy them, but Suspiria as the crown jewel pretty much stands as its own thing. Dario is my fav horror director though, I recommend checking out lots of his films. A few of the top ones I'd recommend:

Deep Red, Opera (1987), Tenebrae, Bird with the Crystal Plumage, and as a producer Demons (1985).

Inferno is solid and a smooth watch, but I'd follow up Suspiria with some of his other films myself. Even just to mix it up and give Inferno less of a direct comparison. Mother of Tears is very much latter cheesy B-movie feeling stuff, but I do enjoy it as its own thing.

And your post has pushed Hocus Pocus up my watch list too, haven't seen that since I was a kid.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 11, 2022

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

41) The Sadness - 2021 - Shudder

I wasn't really planning on watch this the moment I started hearing "It's Crossed: The Movie". I've skimmed an ish, read the Wikipedia and it's pretty much the sort of thing a 13yr old wannabe edgelord would come up with while yelling "IT'S EXXXXXXTREME!". Also adds to my stance that Garth Ennis has some serious issues considering what I've seen in his work.

So, with that said, why the hell would I sit through this?

Well, chatting with a friend in one of my movie discussion groups, we ended up talking a bit about this one. They'd seen it, understood where I was coming from, and suggested I should give this one a try on the argument of the differences between The Boys comic and the show. It was a solid point, the show's decent enough and the comic is wannabe edgelord dreck.

Watching this, yeah, it's vastly better than the Crossed comic it's inspired from. Story focuses on a couple trying to reunite with total chaos erupting around them. It's still a total downer of a film and very much a not for everyone film, but there is some sane restraint. We see plenty of the violence the infected are capable of, and we're given just enough to convey the other horrific things they do without it being figuratively rubbed in our faces.

The effects are excellent. If I helm a horror film, I want this effects team. The actors did a great job. The pacing was good. While I will likely never watch this again, it was a decent watch.

Franchescanado posted:

:spooky: SPOOKY BINGO 2022 Edition :spooky:
V/H/S

-watch a Found Footage film
-watch a film that was released direct-to-video in the VHS era

42) Deadstream - 2022 - Shudder

If this doesn't count for the Found Footage challenge, I'll pick a different movie.

Plotline follows an internet personality's show gone horribly wrong at a haunted house.

This was pretty good. The actors were amazing. They totally pulled off the obnoxious Youtuber type and amateur paranormal investigator angle. The effects were very good for the budget. The humor works incredibly well if you've sat through a fair amount of Youtube. The pacing flow fit perfectly for the story.

I haven't been able to say this often, but I highly, HIGHLY, highly recommend this.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

#17: Savageland

V/H/S

Not really much to add to what has already been said. It's pretty good. Acting is generally strong across the board, story is well told. It straddles a fine line between making the events of the night exciting without pushing them into too scripted to be believable.

There's one line in the beginning about how it's not a story that really grabbed national attention, which is pretty silly. I think that's mainly a budgetary restriction, they couldn't afford to stage big protests or have a bunch of actors in for a montage of national news coverage or the like. Which I understand, but I do think the lack of that, "this sleepy town suddenly became world famous" aspect hurts the movie, especially since it does lean so hard into the political aspect.

But that aside, it's a solid fake documentary and that rarest of things, a unique zombie movie. Check it out.

and with that, my first bingo

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
For me the ending to Inferno is clearly superior to Suspiria, gigantic Grim Reaper beats no gigantic Grim Reaper every time.

I've always liked Inferno more than most people though.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I wasn't intending to drat Inferno with faint praise, but Dario has so many sweet hits, I think could hook a new fan easier than going straight through that trilogy. Cool stuff for sure.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

4. Eye in the Labyrinth (1972) aka L'occhio nel labirinto
Directed by Mario Caiano

A woman has a dream her doctor boyfriend was murdered so she tracks down his last whereabouts at a villa by the shore. She finds a bunch of people doing drugs and having sex there and the host invites her to stay and join them. She does so she can find out what happened to her boyfriend. A little too many layers to this giallo as Largo from Thunderball has his own schemes going on while the movie is happening.

5. The Case of the Bloody Iris (1972) aka Perché quelle strane gocce di sangue sul corpo di Jennifer?
Directed by Giuliano Carnimeo

A model is found murdered in an apartment elevator and later the model she was going to see is also found murdered. This frees up her apartment for two new models to move in and be attacked by the killer. Some good red herrings add to the tension and one of the models tries to figure things out. A pretty good giallo, and not just because of Edwige Fenech.

6. Yellow Fever: The Rise and Fall of the Giallo (2016)
Directed by Calum Waddell
Behind the Screams

A documentary about what giallo is, where it came from and where it went. Focuses heavily on Dario Argento, apparently because this was made as a bonus feature for the Tenebrae blu-ray. It’s alright as a documentary but All the Colors of Giallo was much better and much easier to find.

7. A Bay of Blood (1971) aka Ecologia del delitto
Directed by Mario Bava

Some teens are partying and having sex by a little lake when they get killed in rather bloody ways. An early early slasher film that is apparently one of the inspirations for Friday the 13th since they lifted two kills straight from it. It differs from F13 as the main story is about who gets to inherit the lake so it can be redeveloped into a vacation resort or not but the kills are pretty Jason-like. Another great Mario Bava movie that’s worth watching, especially for seeing the roots of the slasher genre.

8. Strip Nude for Your Killer (1975) aka Nude per l'assassino
Directed by Andrea Bianchi

You watch so many gialli you start to get used to the flagrant nudity, then I put on this movie. I think this is the most I’ve seen of Edwige Fenech and she is not one to hide her body. As for the story, it opens with a model having a heart attack during an abortion so the doctor dumps the body in the woman’s apartment and runs away. The doctor turns up murdered in ritualistic fashion and then others from the model’s agency start turning up murdered in the same way. A pretty good giallo if you can get past the excessive nudity.
I just remembered there's a good gag where Edwige offers her boyfriend a cup of coffee and he asks for milk in it and she, in proper Italian fashion, demands to know why he wants to ruin a perfectly good cup of coffee.

1. Who Saw Her Die? (1972) 2. Death Walks at Midnight (1972) 3. Death Walks on High Heels (1971) 4. Eye in the Labyrinth (1972) 5. The Case of the Bloody Iris (1972) 6. Yellow Fever: The Rise and Fall of the Giallo (2016) 7. A Bay of Blood (1971) 8. Strip Nude for Your Killer (1975)

~Bingo card to be posted later~

duz fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 11, 2022

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

11. Audition

A producer tries to find a new wife... with spooky results.

Wow, this lives up so much to its reputation. It's excellent.
Before the climax, I kept wondering why that was all anyone talked about. All of the build up is really good. It's a very believable story about someone completely missing a lot of red flags in a new relationship. It was refreshing to see someone make the bad horror choices in that context instead of just they're dumb kids. I was a kid, but I never went to a murder house and said the murder ghost rhyme and lit the murder demon candles, that's just dumb.
Once things start to fully go off the rails the movie becomes more unhinged and artistic. It's really well done and such a great juxtaposition to the earlier, calm, bright scenes.
And then you get to the climax, and yeah, I can see how most people would forget the rest of the movie. It's all so good. So tense and such good performances and so well shot and so horrifying while being relatively ungruesome.
Anyone read the book? Is it good?

5/5

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Punk Vacation
-watch a film that heavily features punks.

#50.) Deadly Punkettes (2014; Tubi)

A girl finds her dad's guitar and decides to form a pop-punk group with her friends. Once one of them dies unexpectedly and is replaced, strange things start happening to the remaining members.

Starts off with a sex scene involving Andy Dick, which probably makes this the creepiest thing I'll watch this month. Lots of garage and studio performances, moving up to low-budget music videos, which helps pad out the run-time. The horror aspect doesn't kick in until the third act, and when it does, it kind of pops in out of nowhere. It almost felt like the last third was a horror short, and then they decided to stretch things out to feature length, and ended up with a straight drama about a band's rise to semi-fame that they stapled onto the short.

The camera-work is slightly above home movies level, with practically everything handled in Handicam, regardless of the scene's tone. Then again, that makes the haunting and visions scenes come off with more of a dream-like vibe, so it works, in an odd way. I think I'll need to see more of this director's work to really get a grip on how I feel about his style.

“You know, like big-titted MILFs and stuff.”

:spooky: Rating: 4/10

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

#11: Glorious (2022)
:spooky:SPOOKY BINGO: Femme Fatale dir. Rebekah McKendry:spooky:

I wanted to like this more than I did. Maybe it would've worked better as short or with a stronger lead actor.

Even then, the philosophy felt very stoned-freshman-level deep, and the twist of finding out the protagonist is actually a serial killer who murdered the woman he's been missing the whole movie, like, 10 minutes before the credits roll, again, something I'd expect in a creative writing class. It also holds everything up every so often for a joke and I just never thought anything of them landed. And it feels weird to say this but the neon pink soaked horror aesthetic is starting to feel really derivative at this point. No one's done it better than From Beyond, anyway.

It's not a waste of 80 minutes though. The film swings for the fences on scope and ambition, the special effects, when they show up, are really well done and squirmy and wet, and the film manages do a hell of a lot with its one room setting of gross rest stop bathroom. A fun enough distraction, but don't expect any real scares or for the script to really grapple with the weirdness and queerness of its glory hole setting and its higher ambitions, despite that being the bulk of the advertising.

#12: Haxan
:spooky:SPOOKY BINGO: Highbrow Horror:spooky:

Absolutely captivating. What nominally begins as documentary on the history of witchcraft, complete with pans and closeups on medieval manuscripts and some truly gorgeous physical models of early astronomical systems (worth watching for some of these alone) quickly digresses into a series of straight-up silent horror vignettes--but even before that the director is thrilled to leave the camera lingering on drawings of women eating out the devil's rear end in the night. You'll see horned up friars and the witches who wanna get railed by them, some fantastically costumed, androgynous devils, stop motion ghouls, demon pregnancies, killer camera tricks, surprisingly affective torture scenes, dancing pigs, and more!

Even beyond all that, the film just looks beautiful. Sets are lavishly designed and fully lived-in, the cinematography is excellent, and most striking of all is the use of light and shadow in gorgeous black and white. Special shout out to the middle ages being dirty. Characters have terrible dental hygiene and poorer folks are sun weathered and covered with grime. I dunno why but I love that detail. Anyway, Haxan does a great job making witchcraft look cool as hell and the church look evil. There's some weird Freud stuff in the back end, but that just makes the rampant hypersexuality even more entertaining. And it ends with a call for more understanding and sympathy for women, for the ill and the elderly, and the poor. I'm really glad I watched this one.

and with that, I've hit a bingo :gaz:

not sure if I'll keep filling out the squares or just watch more of the stuff I've already queued up. We'll see!

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
9. Hellraiser (2022) (first viewing)

After ten Hellraiser movies of what I am reliably told are of rapidly declining quality--I never got past the one where a Cenobite shoots CDs at Jadzia Dax--here's a fresh adapation of Clive Barker's novella The Hellbound Heart. Our protagonist is Riley, a struggling drug addict who's living with her brother, Matt, but running out of goodwill fast. Riley's boyfriend, Trevor, enlists her help for a warehouse break-in, during which they uncover only a safe with a mysterious puzzle box. As fans of the series know, solving this puzzle box unleashes the Cenobites, bizarre creatures who demand sacrifices in return for extreme sensations that purportedly blur the line between pleasure and pain (read: it's just pain). I know we're all talking about this one, but it also just came out, so I'll tread carefully on spoilers. The overall look and tone are there. The Cenobites all have distinct, deformed looks, like they've been flayed alive and must be in constant pain. Jamie Clayton brings the appropriate sense of gravity to the Pinhead role, as well. Generally, the movie seems to set itself up to replace the franchise's prior undertones of sexuality with those of substance abuse and addiction, but that ends up just being window dressing, so it feels thematically hollow. And, although the movie is a solid two hours, the characters are underdeveloped, so the final character arcs of Riley rejecting the Cenobite's "gifts" when she realizes they come with strings attached and the fate of the antagonist in which Voight turns into a Cenobite aren't quite earned, particularly the latter. That's a bit disappointing, since some of director David Bruckner's prior efforts, like The Ritual and The Night House, were anchored by these aspects. Still, this is a solid, if unspectacular, recalibration for the franchise.

SPOOKY Bingo: This one checks off "They Always Come Back."

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

Gripweed posted:

[b]#17: Savageland

There's one line in the beginning about how it's not a story that really grabbed national attention, which is pretty silly. I think that's mainly a budgetary restriction, they couldn't afford to stage big protests or have a bunch of actors in for a montage of national news coverage or the like. Which I understand, but I do think the lack of that, "this sleepy town suddenly became world famous" aspect hurts the movie, especially since it does lean so hard into the political aspect.

This stood out to me too because all the dumbass political cartoons were on point for an incident like this becoming a national flashpoint for anti-immigrant sentiment. Might have been a script revision issue where in a previous draft they played up a coverup and burying the evidence of what happened more.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

18) The Taking of Deborah Logan (2014)
Trailer
Seen on: Tubi

V/H/S
-watch a Found Footage film

Medical students filming a documentary on the affects of Alzheimer's disease on its victims and the stress on their caretakers get more than they bargained for when they start following the life of an elderly Virginia woman, who is deteriorating quickly - both mentally and physically. When unexplainable phenomena begins occurring and old secrets come to light, it become clear that sinister forces are at play.

Found footage movies feel like a dime a dozen anymore, and any one really needs something to set itself apart from the pack. This movie manages to place itself in an above-average position in the genre on the strength of the lead actresses, stalwart soap actress Jill Larson (as the titular Deborah Logan) and Anne Ramsey as her daughter, Sarah. In a small amount of time, these two manage to make you feel like you're seeing a relationship that has twisted and turned for decades; Larson in particular puts on a hell of a performance, going from sweet and demure to unpredictable and terrifying and Ramsey is entirely relatable as the person who is watching a loved one disappear mentally. Of course, there's more to this one than just Alzheimer's, and the movie has no shortage of spooks; there are quite a few good ones, and the ending in particular has one shot (that you've likely already seen in gif form even if you haven't seen the movie) that is an effective peak to everything. It's kind of funny that the leads are so good because the med students themselves are standard found-footage character fare, although there's one rear end in a top hat of a character who I actually appreciated because he dips out of the movie at the halfway point once things start getting unexplainably spoopy ("The bitch levitated onto the counter!!"), like maybe one time out of what feels like thousands that a character does the smart (though selfish) thing. The movie introduces a mystery about halfway through that I feel could have been pushed back, because once it's revealed, you can immediately see where it's going, but it's entertaining enough that I agreebly went along for the ride. Also, why did it have to be snakes?

19) Fright Night (2011)
Trailer
Seen on: Amazon

They Always Come Back
-watch a remake, reboot or a prequel to a film

High-schooler Charlie Brewster has a problem - a charming vampire has moved in next door and no one believes him. Soon the creature turns its attention to Charlie and his friends, and the only one who can help them is a cynical entertainer.

So the description I wrote above is basically one for the 1985 original. This remake uses about that much of the plot, as well as character names and a couple of call-back lines to the original, but everything else about it is its own beast. The thing is, if I had not seen the 1985 original, or if it had never existed, I would have been okay with this movie, maybe even impressed by it. The cast is filled with actors I like in other movies, it's slickly made and entertaining, and this is by any account nowhere near a bad movie. It's action-packed, gruesome and witty at times.

But.

The 1985 version exists, and it's one of my favorite horror movies ever, and this remake is "Fright Night" in name only; even though it shares characters and plot, it no longer shares the spirit that made the first one so good. Gone is the charming, debonair Jerry Dandrige played by Chris Sarandon (one of my favorite movie vampires, ever). Colin Farrell's Jerry Dandrige is played as an alpha male sexual predator, and an angry one at that. Charlie Brewster is no longer a horror geek, he's a geek who's shed his geek friends and is now tenuously part of the cool kids. Evil Ed is now interminably played by Christopher Mintz-Plasse as the one who initially believes in the vampire before getting turned and revels in his new condition (I feel sorry for this guy, whenever I see him he's just "McLovin as an 'x'," here the X being a monstrous vampire). Charlie's girlfriend Amy is now one of the popular girls. Everything about the characters is just very 2000s, which I suppose is fitting, but they also turn Roddy McDowell's wonderful Peter Vincent into a flashy Chris Angel-magician type - I mean, I know they had to update the "horror host" job - but they screw up his character by having him already KNOWING there are vampires, and in fact his parents were killed by Jerry, which is just ugh come on please. I mean, I like David Tennant and all, but he's wasted in this role, and the movie does nearly NOTHING with the character who was so critical to the original film. You lose all of the charm and suspense of the original and replace it with CGI blood and action scenes and a Children of Man/War of the Worlds extended one shot with the camera weaving in and out of a car during a chase scene and Buffy-speak (screenplay by Buffy's tv creator/writer Marti Noxon, in fact). About the only things I liked in this movie were that they gave Charlie's mom an extended role, and Toni Collette is very good in it, and there's one really good shock moment about halfway in where Charlie is rescuing one of Jerry's victims (not in the original but an example of something new that worked here). I instinctively avoided this one on its release, and I'm glad to confirm that I had every reason to do so. Fright Night 2011 is a perfectly fine horror flick for its time, but as a fan of the original, so much of it just struck me as wrong.

Hot Dog Day #89
Mar 17, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Morbid Hound

Assault on Precinct 13, 1976

One of John Carpenter's movies before Halloween. In lots of ways, more of an action thriller than a horror film, but the thriller part is cranked up way hard and it is all about tension, not to mention violent and brutal, so Assault on Precinct 13 got its place in the broad and wide definition of horror. An old police station L.A. is about to get shut down and there's a small staff there to oversee its shutdown. Bunch of weapons have been stolen and are now in the hands of a gang, who gun down some guy who own them money. A little girl gets killed too and the dad shoots the gang member who did it and flees to the station. The gang is out for blood and follows him. To complicate things, a bus transporting prisoners stops at the station to use the holding cells while they call for a doctor as one of the prisoners got sick. The phone and power get shut down just as all this happens, and the few people in the station are now in the middle of a siege against a gang with military assault weapons. And these guys are just straight up cold killers with regard for their own lives as killing the dad takes priority over all else. They are just like expressionless robots. Or zombies. This is as close to a zombie movie as you'll ever get from John Carpenter. And you got his cool score playing as usual. I didn't like this movie as much as I thought I would, but still very much glad I finally watched it.

Hot Dog Day #89 fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 11, 2022

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

18. The Brood
Marriage Gory

Filling a blank spot in my Cronenberg history, and it's a really good one! I'm surprised I hadn't seen this one before. A movie about generational trauma and the ugliest possible divorce, the movie maintains a good level of tension and confusion throughout until it suddenly explodes into a gory, awesome twist. Some of the effects are a little hokey with time and haven't aged quite as well as Cronenberg's other films, but when it's good it's great. Absolutely going to be giving this one a rewatch in the upcoming months as I chew over the movie's themes a little more.

Rating: 7.4/10 Skin Welts

Related, with this one it's a SPOOKY BINGO two ways now:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

October 10 - The Haunting of Sharon Tate

I didn't go into this one expecting it to be good, but I remembered it being controversial for the very obvious reasons. So I thought it might make for something interesting to talk about.

After returning to her Hollywood home, Sharon Tate begins having visions of her own murder and becomes convinced that the strange visitor to her door is out to get her.

The script plays out like someone read Wikipedia entries and just dropped everything into it. There's no characters, just people reciting facts at each other. Seriously, it just never stops. It's trying to be serious movie and then there's things like "Who was that at the door?" "I don't know, he said his name was Charlie something..." [huge musical sting]. The script is one of the worst things I've ever encountered. It's shallow, cowardly, reduces the characters to cookie cutter outlines whose only traits are what they recite from their biography.

The obvious comparison is Once Upon a Time in Hollywood which came out around the same time because it also trades on the real life Manson murders and had Sharon Tate as a significant part of the movie. They also reverse history having the home invaders killed. But Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is a good movie about a transitional moment in the town that the murders represent. The Haunting of Sharon Tate is basically a true crime podcast that turns into a mediocre slasher flick. It's a movie that wants to play out the murders as a lure to get you to watch it.

In a weird way, this would be a more troubling movie if it wasn't so incompetent. It's so bad that it doesn't even have anything to say except some vague stabs at "fate" which is about as lazy of theme as you could apply here. But if it was trying to present the real history or give us a more nuanced view of the people or address the messy relationships or even present the Manson family as anything more than cheap versions of every home invasion movie villains you've ever seen, then it would feel even more cruelly exploitative. As it is, I doubt anyone would bother watching this unless it's because they know it's a bad movie.

Since I know someone is going to ask, Polanski does not appear in the movie, they don't address that he drugged and raped a child a few months before the start of the movie, and Sharon just says that she thinks he's having an affair which is something that fills her with as much emotion as asking someone what toppings they want on their pizza.

Extra negative points for the film that I just confirmed: they use Charles Manson's actual music in the movie.

Since this is a movie all about Hollywood, it's my Behind the Screams film:

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 11, 2022

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

October 10 - The Haunting of Sharon Tate

I didn't go into this one expecting it to be good, but I remembered it being controversial for the very obvious reasons. So I thought it might make for something interesting to talk about.

After returning to her Hollywood home, Sharon Tate begins having visions of her own murder and becomes convinced that the strange visitor to her door is out to get her.

The script plays out like someone read Wikipedia entries and just dropped everything into it. There's no characters, just people reciting facts at each other. Seriously, it just never stops. It's trying to be serious movie and then there's things like "Who was that at the door?" "I don't know, he said his name was Charlie something..." [huge musical sting]. The script is one of the worst things I've ever encountered. It's shallow, cowardly, reduces the characters to cookie cutter outlines whose only traits are what they recite from their biography.

The obvious comparison is Once Upon a Time in Hollywood which came out around the same time because it also trades on the real life Manson murders and had Sharon Tate as a significant part of the movie. They also reverse history having the home invaders killed. But Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is a good movie about a transitional moment in the town that the murders represent. The Haunting of Sharon Tate is basically a true crime podcast that turns into a mediocre slasher flick. It's a movie that wants to play out the murders as a lure to get you to watch it.

In a weird way, this would be a more troubling movie if it wasn't so incompetent. It's so bad that it doesn't even have anything to say except some vague stabs at "fate" which is about as lazy of theme as you could apply here. But if it was trying to present the real history or give us a more nuanced view of the people or address the messy relationships or even present the Manson family as anything more than cheap versions of every home invasion movie villains you've ever seen, then it would feel even more cruelly exploitative. As it is, I doubt anyone would bother watching this unless it's because they know it's a bad movie.

Since I know someone is going to ask, Polanski does not appear in the movie, they don't address that he drugged and raped a child a few months before the start of the movie, and Sharon just says that she thinks he's having an affair which is something that fills her with as much emotion as asking someone what toppings they want on their pizza.

Since this is a movie all about Hollywood, it's my Behind the Screams film:

This movie concept is definitely on the far side of trashy. I realize filmmaking basically froze in 2020, so it's hard to say that it killed her career or that there was a career to kill, but Hilary Duff likely would have better served herself doing anything else.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

#18: Ring

They Always Come Back

No, not the American The Ring or the Japanese Ringu. The original. The made-for-tv faithful adaptation of Koji Suzuki's novel, Ring. Technically this was Ring Kanzenban, the slightly expanded version of the TV movie that was released on laserdisc, the last home video release this movie ever got. I'm guessing the nudity is what was added for the laserdisc version

Folks, it's not good. With something like this you're always rooting for it to have some unique charm or element that didn't make it to the big budget adaptations. And I guess this does have the charm of mid-90s Japanese TV. I'm personally a fan of early Heisei Kamen Rider so at first I was like "oh hey it looks like that, it looks exactly like those 20 year old children's superhero shows I've seen" but that can only take you so far.

The later adaptations change the lead from some guy to a single mom, and they cut the second most prominent character, an old school friend who is very mysterious and cool and knows a lot about supernatural stuff for some reason. This version is much more faithful to the book and keeps both those characters, and is much worse for it.

The deaths aren't spooky. They're just random heart attacks. And there isn't an existing urban legend about the video that kills you in seven days. the guy just has a hunch that these unconnected heart attacks are connected and starts to investigate.

Let's talk about the tape. In Ringu and The Ring, the tape is great. It's unearthly and unsettling and weird. In Ring it is so, so bad. It's in full color, it starts with a volcano exploding for some reason, instead of unsettling imagery there's dice being rolled over and over again and then a bloody fetus? And remember when I said there isn't an existing urban legend about the killer tape? So how does he figure out it's the tape then? The tape literally ends with text explaining that you are going to die in seven days because you watched the tape.

And they don't even show you the whole thing! They keep cutting back to the guy watching it, who acts like he's being physically hurt by watching it while stuff from the video appears in the room. You gotta make the audience watch the whole video in one go, that's so basic and necessary for making this movie work.

So that's why this movie doesn't work, but I haven't even gotten into why it's loving awful. In this version, Sadako ended up in a well because a man tried to rape her, found out she was intersex, and then threw her in a well.

Don't watch Ring, folks. Don't read the novel either. Enjoy the later movies that managed to make something good out of this garbage.

At least it got me my second bingo

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Whoa whoa wait, time out.
The Purge (2013)
Directed by James DeMonaco

🎃 Yuppie Nightmare 🎃

"I promise everything is going to be okay."

Since I've never seen this, I wasn't sure how well this would fit the Yuppie Nightmare criteria, but it's "I never thought leopards would eat MY face" in movie form.

The premise of The Purge doesn't make a lot of sense. If you're watching it and you've decided not to bail out, you kind of have to accept it. That doesn't make it any less goofy. I'm sure there are easier ways to get where it wants to go. It could not be any more heavy handed but if it came out in the last few years I'm sure there would be people wondering while all of these nice white folks couldn't just talk about their shared interests over a bottle of Pinot Grigio.

👻👻.5/5

October Challenge 4/31
1. Blood Feast (1963), 2. Sunshine (2007), 3. Relic (2020), 4. Mortuary (2005)

Spooky Bingo 11/36
1. Rodan (1956), 2. Carrie (2013), 3. Gargoyles (1972), 4. Ticks (1993), 5. Penda’s Fen (1974), 6. Crimson Peak (2015), 7. A Field in England (2013), 8. The Ghost of Yotsuya (1959), 9. Carnival of Sinners (1943), 10. Hatchet for the Honeymoon (1970), 11. The Purge (2013)

Total 15/?

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Gripweed posted:

#18: Ring

They Always Come Back

No, not the American The Ring or the Japanese Ringu. The original. The made-for-tv faithful adaptation of Koji Suzuki's novel, Ring.

Sounds utterly bizarre in the not-fun way. I had no idea it existed but thank you for watching it in our place.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

This movie concept is definitely on the far side of trashy. I realize filmmaking basically froze in 2020, so it's hard to say that it killed her career or that there was a career to kill, but Hilary Duff likely would have better served herself doing anything else.

Hillary Duffs career is not only not dead but she’s the star of the inexplicably exists in 2022 sitcom spin-off of How I Met Your Mother. So she’s doing great.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

TerrorVision
-Watch a made-for-TV film

#51.) Summer of Fear (1978; Tubi)

After the death of her parents, a cousin is taken in by her rich relatives. Since she's from the Ozarks, one of her cousins begins to suspect the orphan of being a witch.

Yes, the Ozarks are characterized as a place full of creepy superstitions. That was cute. I dunno, I just didn't find much in this film to hook me in. I liked the importance of folklore in solving the situation, and that there was a fight in a darkroom (don't get those too often in movies), but the made-for-TV nature of the film seemed to be what was hobbling it from generating more interest for me. Craven's direction was fine, and the stunts (I'm thinking of the stompy horse in particular) were done well. Some more variety to Linda Blair's performance would have been nice, since she's the lead, but you can't have everything. Not terrible, but also not memorable.

“Well, we all make events occur, every day of our lives.”

:spooky: Rating: 5/10

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I always wanted to get a print of this framed and hang it up, just to see how long before someone called me on it.

The Descent -- (Niel Marshall ; 2006)

I had a busy, lovely Monday so I decided to treat myself and watch probably my favorite horror film of the last 20 years.

Yeah, this still holds the gently caress up ; I had a pretty good time. On the off chance someone hasn't seen it, then go do that now but also : an all female group of spelunkers is exploring a cave when they're trapped by a tunnel collapse and have to try to find a way out. Also there are cannibal bat monsters. Cannibats.

But that sounds like a movie we've all seen 6 times on the Syfy Channel while drunk at 2 AM. This bothers to make that cave the absolute most terrifying thing in the world, long before the bat monsters come in. They do a great job of getting you to care about a lot of characters very quickly, so every times someone even scrapes their hand on a rock you're empathizing with them.

Look you've either gone to go watch it or you won't by now, so I'm just gonna tell an anecdote. When I turned this on, I happened to get a text from my sister so I threw in, "Hey, I just got to THAT scene in The Descent," Which was the least helpful thing to say because the entire loving thing is THAT scene. Did I mean when the bat monsters first attack in the cave and everyone starts dying? Or what about the tunnel collapse, or just the lemonsqueeze leading up to it? Or how about the climbing axe to the neck? Those god drat rope burns?!?

Nah, I meant when her daughter and husband get their heads remodeled at highway speeds.

Great god drat movie. Right up there with The Thing. Huh, weird that those both have single-gender casts.

10/10
17 down, 14 to go

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

10. Body Bags (1993), Shudder

This movie was pretty great. John Carpenter is clearly having a blast as the Coroner (and the way the wraparound story plays out is pretty great). Yeah sure the three stories are a little by-the-numbers, but they've still got their share of spooks and body horror and gore. I think "Hair" was the weakest of the three, but I'll admit I didn't see the ending coming. I liked seeing Mark Hamill (I can't think of much other live-action stuff I've seen him in outside of Star Wars, to be honest), and the other random horror director cameos sprinkled throughout were a nice touch.

1. 'Tales from the Crypt' (1972)
2. 'Trilogy of Terror' (1975)
3. 'Southbound' (2015)
4. 'The Vault of Horror' (1973)
BONUS: 'Smile' (2022)
5. 'Creepshow' (1982)
6. 'The House That Dripped Blood' (1971)
7. 'All Hallow's Eve' (2013)
BONUS: 'Deadstream' (2022)
8. 'Cat's Eye' (1985)
9. ' The Monster Club' (1981)
10. 'Body Bags' (1993)

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

#18: Hellbound: Hellraiser II (1988)

I was dubious about learning more of the mythology—I appreciated the first for keeping the Cenobites otherworldly and mysterious, and didn't want some elaborate explanation of how the puzzle box works or whatever—but using it as an opportunity to introduce more weird poo poo that's only tangentially explained is great. The matte paintings of the labyrinth with the divine octahedron are particularly rad.

Is anyone going to argue I shouldn't skip all the other sequels before watching the reboot?

#19: Debug (2014)
Spooky Bingo: Spaced Invaders

Six convicted hackers serving a forced labor sentence on a maintenance ship in space are tasked with rebooting the operating system of an unmanned freighter, which turns out to be a rogue AI happy to kill to defend itself.

I didn't find much to enjoy here even by the standards of a direct-to-streaming sci-fi horror movie. At their best, you can get some interesting ideas given more room to breath than they might in something with a higher budget. This is a worse version of a Paul W. S. Anderson movie, including multiple inexplicable martial arts scenes to represent the hacking.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Movie #9

Highbrow Horror
-watch a film featured in the Criterion Collection

Jigoku, 1960

Two men are involved in a fatal hit and run that kills the head of a minor crime family. Shiro, consumed by guilt, wants to confess and soon everything around him starts to unravel.

Half revenge drama, half a Buddhist version of Inferno, examining the layers and forms of hell in graphic detail. Religious (especially Catholic) horror always gets me good, long after I stopped going to church, and this film affected me in the same way. The whole final act I was completely frozen.

Everyone's just slightly off in one way or another and there's some doppelganger business going on. A woman dies and shortly after the same actress appears as another character. Lynchian is an overused term for anything surreal in film, but this one actually does feel like something Lynch would be way into (17 years before Eraserhead.) If you like his films, you'll find a lot to appreciate here.

The sleazy jazz soundtrack, the thinness between dream and reality, the absolute filth below the surface of everything, the atmosphere in this film is absurdly thick. The first and second half are wildly different, but both extremely moody nightmares of a different sort.

A very bleak film for all but the devil figure, having the time of his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Sir Kodiak posted:

Is anyone going to argue I shouldn't skip all the other sequels before watching the reboot?

Aye, 3 has fans, just a few pages ago on ye horror thread it had some love. I myself enjoy it a good deal. It's like the Robert Englund having fun in Freddy sequels of Doug Bradley's Pinhead. And it has some of my fav Pinhead quotes.

It has Motorhead in the end credits too, the best band of all time.