Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i could be wrong, but my conspiracy theory for apex legends is that ea just paid hella twitch bounties that streamers don't have to disclose to play the game, and it eventually stabilized enough where everyone was playing it

sometimes you can just bribe influencers to promoting the dumbest games out there, and i wouldn't be surprised of epic could do something similar with a ut game if they just committed to it. if epic can make people play fortnite through affiliate programs and sponsorships, surely they can do anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

They did sponsor streamers to play Apex near launch but AFAICT it was all disclosed, as is legally required at least for US based streamers

You can look back at the VODs of Shroud playing for the first time and there's a giant APEX LEGENDS PARTNER overlay

IIRC Splitgate did the same thing, which is probably part of why it had a decent start, but as soon as the money ran out everyone stopped streaming it and the playerbase collapsed

repiv fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 10, 2022

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Iirc the headlines correctly, (at least some) influencers got a million dollars each

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
apex plays pretty well so it's not that weird that it's popular

i used to play quake champs quite a bit but it's super dead now unfortunately

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
That’s really too bad; the speed and twitchy shooting was the perfect compliment to all the momentum / inertia in Tarkov. Sometimes it just feels nice to ride instant-acceleration skates through Hell.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

repiv posted:

They did sponsor streamers to play Apex near launch but AFAICT it was all disclosed, as is legally required at least for US based streamers

You can look back at the VODs of Shroud playing for the first time and there's a giant APEX LEGENDS PARTNER overlay

IIRC Splitgate did the same thing, which is probably part of why it had a decent start, but as soon as the money ran out everyone stopped streaming it and the playerbase collapsed

And if the big streamers have got the game noticed, all the smaller streamers will just play it to try and get noticed while it's the hot game. It wasn't as genius as when Riot had Valorant beta access as a Twitch drop so loads of people had streams muted in the background hoping for a key drop which kept the game up in the most viewed games on Twitch before it had even officially launched.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

kliras posted:

i could be wrong, but my conspiracy theory for apex legends is that ea just paid hella twitch bounties that streamers don't have to disclose to play the game, and it eventually stabilized enough where everyone was playing it

sometimes you can just bribe influencers to promoting the dumbest games out there, and i wouldn't be surprised of epic could do something similar with a ut game if they just committed to it. if epic can make people play fortnite through affiliate programs and sponsorships, surely they can do anything

Many games have done this, VALORANT also paid streamers a lot to play it. Here’s the thing though: they paid a lot fewer streamer than you think for less time than you think. If a game is good shroud or whoever will keep playing it for significantly longer than the couple hours that were actually sponsored. Then, if a shroud is playing a new game then other streamers will play too to interact and stay longer term if it’s fun. This is what happened with Apex’s early days - it looked like they paid for some huge twitch takeover or something but they really only paid one or two big names at a time.

This success meant that the strategy was tried for other games. A game that tried this strategy and completely fell on its face was Amazon’s Crucible. I remember watching Seagull play that game and it was really funny because while he couldn’t really bad mouth it contractually he sure could drat it with faint praise. You could also set a watch by the contractual start/stop times.

Another game that tried it was Ubisoft’s entry into the battle royale genre, Hyper Scape. They got some brief traction with a lot of people playing for a week or two but it didn’t have the depth for long term interest so it trickled to nothing. Ubisoft tried paying some streamers after that initial burst and it didn’t catch.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Another game that tried it was Ubisoft’s entry into the battle royale genre, Hyper Scape. They got some brief traction with a lot of people playing for a week or two but it didn’t have the depth for long term interest so it trickled to nothing. Ubisoft tried paying some streamers after that initial burst and it didn’t catch.

Hyperscape also had extremely deep Twitch integration (viewers could influence the game they were watching in various ways, and level their battlepass just by watching streams) and it still wasn't enough to get streamers to care after the money ran out

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

repiv posted:

not the explicit sponsorships that were probably negotiated directly, but the smaller bounties

a lot of streamers just happened to decide to check out the game around the same time outside season starts, which was just very weird when they weren't fps streamers per se

there's always the big launch push, but games definitely fade after that without more sponsorship to back it up

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Apex added fun physics and movement, and combat mechanics count for a lot. Fortnite went ahead and copied the Apex running/sliding idea, and the abilities feel like the good part of Overwatch (superpowers) without the bad part (everybody on the one payload, chokepoint map design). Look at how many people keep opening their wallets to Destiny, usually complaining about it on the internet for a year afterward, because of the ‘gunplay’. Which is to say, Destiny is the closest thing to a modern “DooM clone” boomer game because it has power fantasy mechanics (monsters flinch, you don’t) and movement that’s faster than CoD without going full esports hyper-precision the way most multiplayer boomer shooter games like Quake Champions or Splitgate do.

The reality is most people aren’t good at video games, so esport games where the ceiling for skill expression is very high and the more skilled player usually triumphs is bad for most people. It’s a boot stomping in your face forever. This is why everyone says Overwatch fell off at one year in, just about the time the first OWL press announcement went out. It’s why Fortnite’s biggest step in returning players was letting people opt into matches where the building mechanic is removed entirely.

Those people who can swivel their camera around and instinctively build a ramp to a floating platform with three walls learned a skill that is useful only in Fortnite. I don’t have time at my age to learn new skills specific to one game or suffer, I play zero-build because my old Quake 3 rail gun aim and my many years honed knack for calculating bullet drop off and lead time distance are much more important for the lack of any new mechanics.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Craptacular! posted:

Apex added fun physics and movement, and combat mechanics count for a lot. Fortnite went ahead and copied the Apex running/sliding idea, and the abilities feel like the good part of Overwatch (superpowers) without the bad part (everybody on the one payload, chokepoint map design). Look at how many people keep opening their wallets to Destiny, usually complaining about it on the internet for a year afterward, because of the ‘gunplay’. Which is to say, Destiny is the closest thing to a modern “DooM clone” boomer game because it has power fantasy mechanics (monsters flinch, you don’t) and movement that’s faster than CoD without going full esports hyper-precision the way most multiplayer boomer shooter games like Quake Champions or Splitgate do.

The reality is most people aren’t good at video games, so esport games where the ceiling for skill expression is very high and the more skilled player usually triumphs is bad for most people. It’s a boot stomping in your face forever. This is why everyone says Overwatch fell off at one year in, just about the time the first OWL press announcement went out. It’s why Fortnite’s biggest step in returning players was letting people opt into matches where the building mechanic is removed entirely.

Those people who can swivel their camera around and instinctively build a ramp to a floating platform with three walls learned a skill that is useful only in Fortnite. I don’t have time at my age to learn new skills specific to one game or suffer, I play zero-build because my old Quake 3 rail gun aim and my many years honed knack for calculating bullet drop off and lead time distance are much more important for the lack of any new mechanics.

Zero-build mode rules and sliding down hills while sniping people and then jumping into a car that bonks people 30 feet away is just fun. No need for voice chat, no ults or supers, just shooting (and blasting kamehamehas)

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Overwatch’s worst sin is the horrid time-to-kill. Every time I get legged with a Ks-23 in Tarkov I’m still a little bit thankful it’s not Overwatch.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
OW has high TTK because it's barely a shooter. It's more akin to Blizzard trying to create WoW PvP Battlegrounds with a flat leveling curve (i.e. none) and an entire class's worth of abilities broken up across multiple characters

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Shumagorath posted:

Overwatch’s worst sin is the horrid time-to-kill. Every time I get legged with a Ks-23 in Tarkov I’m still a little bit thankful it’s not Overwatch.

I haven't played overwatch in a while, but there used to be ways to kill / die faster, McCree headshots were a big one. All the CS / other shooter players that I knew gravitated towards that.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

mccree headshots don't exist anymore because they had to rename mccree after the blizzard employee he was named after was fired for sexual harassment

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I thought he was just in the picture no that he did anything?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

repiv posted:

mccree headshots don't exist anymore because they had to rename mccree after the blizzard employee he was named after was fired for sexual harassment

Sexual harassment doesn't quite cover having a room called the "Cosby suite" that you bring drunk female interns and convention goers to.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Twerk from Home posted:

I wonder if Nvidia has ever considered partitioning into fast and slow RAM, that could be a great way to get to where they need capacity-wise without jumping to 16GB.

Both the current gen Xboxes have a fast/slow RAM split, so developers are dealing with it already.

K8.0 posted:

They had it on the 970 and it was awful, any time a game needed more than 3.5gb of ram performance took a big hit. Consoles can tolerate it because they're designing for fixed settings on fixed hardware and can explicitly manage everything. On PC it's just not worth the problems it causes.

Like class action lawsuits.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Meanwhile, my rear end is sitting over here, crying, in the ashes of what was once TF2.

Both of 'em, but mostly the one with big stompy robots.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Whose my 4090 5am crew holler acha boy

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Steam Deck will make lining up a lot more tolerable.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Taima posted:

I'm going from a 3090 to a 4090, and HOPING I AM GOOD AT 9 EASTERN.

my cats thirsts for heat

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Subjunctive posted:

The Steam Deck will make lining up a lot more tolerable.

A linux-based AMD device played in line waiting for a nVidia GPU for your windows machine.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

jokes posted:

A linux-based AMD device played in line waiting for a nVidia GPU for your windows machine.

Yeah you should be playing on an nvidia APU.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

jokes posted:

It's a Linux machine now! Gaming works on Linux! It's insane!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

hobbesmaster posted:

Yeah you should be playing on an nvidia APU.

That's the Switch.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

:thejoke:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I probably won’t be getting a 4090 but I am super interested in seeing the reviews and benchmarks

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

MarcusSA posted:

I probably won’t be getting a 4090 but I am super interested in seeing the reviews and benchmarks

I am interested in seeing the mad rush to get a video card that will kill so many psus.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

If I can order a FE tomorrow I'll probably bite. That or one of the cheaper Asus models

Not going to be upset if I'm forced to wait

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

im here for the videos of people unboxing their 4090 before realising it doesn't fit in their case

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Can't wait for the inevitable "We BLEW THE BREAKERS!" vid from Linus

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Think the AIBs are getting hosed on the 4090’s margins again?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Think the AIBs are getting hosed on the 4090’s margins again?

No. But they will be once they end up oversupplied and forced to cut prices again.

edit: AIBs were living it up when the prices were high and they could sell 3080s for $1000+. It wasn't until they were forced to do such heinous things as "sell a graphics card within 10% of its MSRP" that they started feeling the squeeze. This generation will be similar, except the price gouging is built into the MSRPs.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 11, 2022

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I like that Asus TuF for 1599 or I might be down to splurge a little on the MSI AIO model. If I can't get it day 1 then no biggie.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

3080 12GB is holding it down for me just fine over here, not too worried about getting a 4090 at this time.

Enjoy it, though, big spenders! If the IRS ever gets me my fuckin' tax return for 2021 things may change, but until such time as that, welp. Hey if any of you who do get such outrageous goods designed for as much power as can be put through them, let me know how they undervolt since I'm sure that's next on the priority list for y'all

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Agreed posted:

3080 12GB is holding it down for me just fine over here, not too worried about getting a 4090 at this time.

Enjoy it, though, big spenders! If the IRS ever gets me my fuckin' tax return for 2021 things may change, but until such time as that, welp. Hey if any of you who do get such outrageous goods designed for as much power as can be put through them, let me know how they undervolt since I'm sure that's next on the priority list for y'all

Same. Maybe if it fit in my mITX case I’d be tempted. Anyways I’ve already finished Cyberpunk and I can’t think of any other game that would se a significant bump from a 3080

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Does repasting with MX-4 on a launch 3070 really help with GPU temps?

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

Taima posted:

Hell yeah, already took Wednesday as a sick day

This'll be the first non-used card I've bought since the 7800GS I got in high school to keep my lovely AGP machine going. I think it'll be a decent upgrade from my 2070 for 3440x1440 stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

mobby_6kl posted:

It's probably been a literal decade since I played UT2004 but I remember the vehicles being perfectly fine. We aren't talking about race cars after all, the tanks, Manta, etc. were all fine and didn't detract from the experience at least.

Yeah the vehicles were great, especially for a circa-2004 FPS game. Fond memories of doing goofy stuff like getting teammates to ride on the wings of the Manta (which was basically one of the fastest ways to convey 3 or 4 dudes--or a flag carrier--across a map).