Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

UPDATE: I bought a new clutch lever and gear lever from a place in Italy, and for good measure a new brake disc and pads. Looking forward to getting absolutely rinsed by Swiss customs charges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I replaced the clutch lever which was super easy. Brembo included all the clips and bushings and even a little sachet of grease with the lever, and amazingly some very clear instructions. A+ would replace again.

I got a new gear lever too but it looks like a pain in the dick to replace and the existing one wasn't that bent. I got out the vise grips and bent it more or less back to original shape.

I also got a bike lift which will get the whole thing off the ground and enable me to replace the front disc. It seems a good design but came one nut short in a key bit of the mechanism so I wasn't able to finish building it. Very frustrating.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That is probably a bog standard M6~M8 (can't tell the scale) nylok nut that you can buy for 45 cents at your local hardware store.

Or 15 cents in bulk from Amazon, or 3 cents from AliExpress if you want to wait a month. One day a couple of years ago I splurged and bought fifty dollars' worth of miscellanous metric hardware from AE, which is like 1000+ individual nuts and bolts, and it's so nice to just be able to pull out whatever you need on the spot in situations like yours.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 30, 2022

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Speaking of which, today my bike work was: I replaced the two awful cheesy rusted half-stripped JIS screws on the cap of my front brake reservoir with nice shiny new stainless steel hex-drive ones. Now I'm taking a well-deserved break. Please, no need for applause.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Sagebrush posted:

That is probably a bog standard M6~M8 (can't tell the scale) nylok nut that you can buy for 45 cents at your local hardware store.

Or 15 cents in bulk from Amazon, or 3 cents from AliExpress if you want to wait a month. One day a couple of years ago I splurged and bought fifty dollars' worth of miscellanous metric hardware from AE, which is like 1000+ individual nuts and bolts, and it's so nice to just be able to pull out whatever you need on the spot in situations like yours.

Exactly it's a M8, I'll head to the grumpy local quincaillerie and see what he has. They didn't provide Nylok so I was sticking on some blue loctite on the essential bolts.

Yeah I should do the mixed nuts thing. Amazon doesn't exist in my country and I don't think I can get an assortment but will just get some bits and pieces.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Amazon is essentially Aliexpress with local distribution centres. A lot of what you find on Amazon, is also available on Ali/Ebay/Wish/Dealextreme/whatever.

If you live in the EU, then you can search on Ali for products that are stocked at the warehouses in Poland, for instance. That cuts down on delivery time a lot.
There are many more warehouses, it's to look into it to see if there's one in your (or your neighboring) country.

Amazon doesn't have a distro centre in my country because they tried to influence our national law makers to cut back on employee rights. Employees in our existing distro centres (for instance the ones of https://www.bol.com or https://www.bax-shop.nl) are already absolutely miserable, but Bezos thought they weren't miserable enough yet. I don't know what the exact things Amazon wanted to change, but probably change laws that currently say that a worker needs to receive their schedule a week in advance, is entitled to 12 hours of rest between work days so you can't schedule a day shift right after a night shift and stuff like that.

Luckily, for now, our law makers didn't bend, and if you want amazon crap, you can just get it from Aliexpress and the polish warehouse, or from Amazon Germany.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Oct 1, 2022

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I'm ex-EU which makes customs annoying especially for small things like this.

Ultimately I've failed with this stand. The stand lifts the bike on a sleeve which attaches to an engine mount bolt, and a nylon bushing that goes into the swingarm pivot. The English instructions say to "loosen the engine mount bolt" which, OK but it goes through and out the other side of the frame. Reading the German instructions it says to remove the bolt and re-insert from the other side.

I don't have a long enough socket to hold the nut on the other end of the engine mount bolt... and I'm a bit reluctant to just unbolt the engine as it's only held to the frame by the two engine mounts. People online seem to have done it with no problems though.

https://www.motea.com/media/montageanleitungen/constands/adapterplatten/421404.pdf

This guy managed it on a 900ss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWJBiWaRRlQ

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I worked on my kawa Gt 550z today adding heated grips, 12v +usb power and cyclops led main bulb.

And I found PO fun.
In the front below the tank behind the oil cooler is the stock unobtainable cdi

It is unplugged but left in place??
The cdi in use is by the battery in the rear..

The air duct spring clamps was apparently replaced with baling wire sometime ago, and none of the 4 was actually in their grove..

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lol if I had a stand telling me to loosen an engine mount bolt I would immediately throw it in the bin, what the gently caress?

That just looks like a really crap attempt at an Abba stand, a thing that does the thing you want it to do but without dismantling your bike.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Right? gently caress.

I really just wanted a front paddock stand and this looked like a convenient option instead

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Get an Abba stand, it'll let you get both wheels off the ground at once without trapping the fork or steering yokes. It's fiddlier to use than normal paddock stands but gives you more options.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
My wife's car is getting work done at the mechanic (because I can't be arsed to bust off seized Korean suspension bolts that experienced one too many Canadian winters) and I blew a tire on my Mazda yesterday, so today I took her to work on the bike

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Last time I had the Honda out I hit the horn button to get the nth person staring at their phone after the light has turned green to move, and only got a comical sounding fweuhhhhh.

It was just a loose connection but I dropped a freeway blaster in anyway since the stock horn is so piddly sounding. Nice and loud now.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://i.imgur.com/RwL5mBD.mp4

My excuse is that I've never seen black gravel used anywhere around here before. The truth is that I was careless and inattentive and missed the clear signs of loose poo poo sprayed all over the road before I even turned in.

Damage to the bike itself seems to just just be some scratches and a bent shifter, I was (eventually, see below) able to ride it home. This is the second time those soft saddlebags have served as impromptu frame sliders. I'm glad I was on the Yamaha instead of the 919 because dropping that bike like this would break my heart.

The icing on the cake, though, is that my battery gave out while I was looking the bike over and I couldn't get it started again.

I'm less ashamed of dropping the bike than I am to admit that I never learned how to bump start a motorcycle. I gave it a couple of halfhearted attempts but I know I would have worn myself out before getting it to work. So instead, I texted my dad, and sat down to enjoy actually a quite pleasant Sunday evening while waiting for him to come give me a jump start.

It's the original battery, nearly 3 years old now, and I suppose it was already on its way out. It had started once immediately after the crash but then I shut it down, with the ignition left on for 5-10 minutes, and after that it would crank but not hard enough to start.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I frigging hate gravel, one of my favorite local roads happens to line a quarry and it completely saps any fun you can have on it since you never know where there's gonna be a pile of the stuff.

T-rex just did another run of their sliders for the 919 if you don't have any yet

https://www.t-rex-racing.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=N33

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

FBS posted:

https://i.imgur.com/RwL5mBD.mp4

My excuse is that I've never seen black gravel used anywhere around here before. The truth is that I was careless and inattentive and missed the clear signs of loose poo poo sprayed all over the road before I even turned in.

Damage to the bike itself seems to just just be some scratches and a bent shifter, I was (eventually, see below) able to ride it home. This is the second time those soft saddlebags have served as impromptu frame sliders. I'm glad I was on the Yamaha instead of the 919 because dropping that bike like this would break my heart.

The icing on the cake, though, is that my battery gave out while I was looking the bike over and I couldn't get it started again.

I'm less ashamed of dropping the bike than I am to admit that I never learned how to bump start a motorcycle. I gave it a couple of halfhearted attempts but I know I would have worn myself out before getting it to work. So instead, I texted my dad, and sat down to enjoy actually a quite pleasant Sunday evening while waiting for him to come give me a jump start.

It's the original battery, nearly 3 years old now, and I suppose it was already on its way out. It had started once immediately after the crash but then I shut it down, with the ignition left on for 5-10 minutes, and after that it would crank but not hard enough to start.

Glad you're ok! When you tried to restart the bike did you take your key out and turn the ignition back to the on position again?

When I tipped my yamaha over it also wouldn't start on me, but I realized that there is like an auto kill switch or something if the bike detects that it fell over. Taking out the key and restarting the bike reset it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It is called a tip-over switch and it works on that exact logic for reasons you can probably work out.

On most carbureted bikes the problem takes care of itself but on injected stuff it'll just keep on chugging till it's told to stop, hence the switch.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I love the tipover switch because it's so crude and simple it's the kind of engineering even I could do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2A9rN7EYYY

It's definitely the battery. Back in the garage today (after a 30min ride home) it started instantly at first, then struggled a bit after 5 minutes with the lights on and after 10 minutes would only click at me without cranking. I've got it back on the tender now. Is there any reason not to replace this battery immediately?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You could try charging it but I'd say a lot of your capacity is permanently lost by now.

Also most modern tip-over switches are much smaller and work on mercury sloshing around :science:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I think he's explaining the current wrong, unless I misheard. From what I can see: When centered, the ring rides on what appears to be an insulator. No current is flowing in this state.
Once it slips off the insulator, it makes contact with the curved bus bar.
When the ring hits the two raised copper bits, contact is made between bus bar 1 and 2. Current flows.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

I think he's explaining the current wrong, unless I misheard. From what I can see: When centered, the ring rides on what appears to be an insulator. No current is flowing in this state.
When the ring hits the two raised copper bits, contact is made between bus bar 1 and 2. Current flows.

I didn't have volume on, but that's exacly what's happening.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

TotalLossBrain posted:

Yep, that certainly looks like it's closing the circuit when tipped over, with the ring making a connection between the metal part of the U-shaped middle bit, and the pins on the flat bits in the end.

I guess on older bikes it just grounds out the ignition or something like any old lawnmower kill switch, but on EFI bikes (at least my SV650) it just a signal wire telling the ECU what's going on so it can stop doing engine.
The one time I've dropped a bike, I had to cycle the ignition key before it would fire up. I vividly remember standing there cranking it feeling like an idiot for a few seconds before realizing.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I ended up using the stupid stand because it's what I have. It's... ok, I wouldn't recommend getting one but it's stable and gets the bike airborne.

I got a skid plate / belly pan which I thought would look nice but basically you can't see it. Also it bolts to the engine via the generator and clutch cover bolts rather than any part of the frame so presumably wouldn't even function very well. Sad!

Front wheel off and new rotor and pads on. The rotor is the generic Brembo one but has a slightly different design from the original.

The wheel now spins freely for a couple of rotations when I spin it, but I can hear the pads touching the surface slightly unevenly through a rotation, and it's making me a bit paranoid. I know a slight about of drag is normal but should it be completely even?

I cleaned the rotor mating surface with a rag before putting the new one on and it's all torqued properly. Going to take it up the street and see how it feels.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just ride it it'll be fine

Your engine bolt needing to get taken out to use the stand is far more concerning

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Replaced a failed ignition coil and finally diagnosed the charging issue with my 71 Yamaha R5.

I had been blaming the mechanical voltage regulator but I finally dug it out and took a look at it. The contacts were fine and the resistances were pretty close to factory spec.

Since that could no longer be blamed I checked the rotor and found it open circuit. Time to hit up ebay. We had a local guy who was an automotive electric repair guy, he could have had this rewound in an afternoon. Sadly he passed away last year and people like him are few and far between.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Discovered my seat cover has started to split

I know some of y'all have talked about it being fairly easy to recover yourself but I know that's exactly the type of project I will never get around to, so I'm gonna get pricing from a local upholsterer, and if it turns out to be fairly expensive I'll probably get a Corbin or a Sargent like I've been considering for a while now anyway

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Your local upholsterer will definitely not cost more than an aftermarket seat.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Agreed, even if they replace the foam AND recover the seat it shouldn't be more than an off-the-shelf aftermarket seat

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh, yeah I understand that. The ZRX stock seat is one of those ones that's very plush and comfortable when you're throwing a leg over it in the showroom, but not so much in use. I find that after an hour or so it contributes to fatigue more than it alleviates it, so I'd been thinking about a Corbin or similar before this anyway.

I guess what I should have said is that, while paying someone to repair the seat to stock or near-stock condition will most likely cost less than aftermarket, I'm not the biggest fan of that seat, so if the incremental cost to buy the aftermarket instead is not too bad, I'm going to strongly consider it.

E: I have not tried an airhawk, a beaded seat or a sheepskin.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Today was my first chance for a ride since I dropped the MT, and the weather was spectacular. I had a really pleasant 90 minutes on the Honda, and then I got to learn how to plug a tire.

Whatever I ran over was pretty big, it left a big hole and took a chunk out of the fender on its way out. The tire fully deflated in what felt like 5-10 seconds. A friendly local stopped almost immediately and fetched a portable air tank so I didn't have to gently caress with the CO2 cartridges in my flat kit, and the plug seems to have held up pretty well on the ride home.

This tire has maybe 800 miles on it but with the puncture in the groove (and it broke a belt) should I talk myself into a proper internal patch, or suck it up and replace the tire?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If that lovely plug is holding air, a proper internal puncture repair would serve you just fine for the foreseeable future. If that plug fixed it then the hole is not so big as to be unfixable.

I'll add that the hole being in the groove is actually fortunate because the repair won't have to deal with getting mashed into the road.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 22, 2022

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The last time I had to use a repair plug it lasted the remainder of the tire's life, at least 5000 miles. If it holds air I'd run it, just check your pressure often until you're sure.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Same, I once plugged a tire right on the tread and it lasted the life of the tire just fine.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Washed, waxed, put away for the winter. Not this early by choice, mind, just wary of what the Doc's gonna say on Nov 2nd that might take me out of action completely for a while. Better to take care of this while the weather's good and I'm still mobile lol.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Gf's bike wouldn't start this morning and there was a mysterious smell of gas. At least once it got light out the leak was easy enough to find:

because as soon as I turned the key the main line started pissing petrol all over my leg

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Fuuck, that's looking like a new fuel injector.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Yep! £15 and a 2 week wait from aliexpress, or £100 to get a used one off ebay in a few days :negative:

e/ ended up managing to find one from a different seller for £54. Still way too much for what it is, but what can you do.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 24, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chinabikes :allears:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Outsourcing! It's got a yamaha badge but it says Jianshe right there on the frame stamp :cmon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Huh so EFI can break. Imagine that.