Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Giant Ethicist posted:

Also: Hi, thread friends, I've decided to say t'heck with it and start putting my translations up on Mangadex. I'm starting with Uramachi Sakaba and will be working my way through that and then moving on to Q-Rais content like Monya, Chako, and so on over the next little bit. So feel free (if you're a user of that site, or if you've been looking for a way to share Uramachi Sakaba) to give it a look and share the link around: https://mangadex.org/title/168678f1-7b60-4821-9878-cb8be86d88bc/uramachi-sakaba

this rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Julet Esqu posted:

For those of you who came in late,

Tiffany is lovingmostly dead

I can't believe Coach Thorp went loving "woke".

Hippocrass fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 11, 2022

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Nov 10, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jun 9-10, 1992)

Big Nate

Oh so we're just dropping the bullying subplot then?

Blind Alley

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The rainbow kick I know is in soccer, when you lob the ball over an opponent. What is it in American football?

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Bruceski posted:

The rainbow kick I know is in soccer, when you lob the ball over an opponent. What is it in American football?

Not a thing as far as I can tell.
The writer may have intended it to be the soccer thing, but either doesn't understand soccer, or doesn't understand American football.

Maybe both.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Hippocrass posted:

Not a thing as far as I can tell.
The writer may have intended it to be the soccer thing, but either doesn't understand soccer, or doesn't understand American football.

Maybe both.

I think it's intentional.

Tobias was originally on the soccer team when Gil noticed he was good at kicking and snagged him for the (American) football team.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's (slightly extended for a reason that will be evident in a few days time) Blueberry: Boy, I'm sure nothing untoward will happen at THIS wedding!, or Stanton employs only the best, or Now, I'm no priest and it's nowhere near the same level as Robert the Bruce stabbing that boy to death... But I think this is grounds for an excommunication

Samovar fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 11, 2022

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Julet Esqu posted:

Tobias was originally on the soccer team when Gil noticed he was good at kicking and snagged him for the (American) football team.
Okay fine, but based on everything I know about football, and what the strip told us about the game situation, it's impossible for a kicker to a) kick the ball, b) field the kick, and c) score a touchdown.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Last panel would make a good avatar, with the text as title!

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

Julet Esqu posted:

Ok. And the "woke" thing? I really know nothing about Gil Thorp except that one of the 'Left Behind' guy wrote it for awhile.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

howe_sam posted:

Okay fine, but based on everything I know about football, and what the strip told us about the game situation, it's impossible for a kicker to a) kick the ball, b) field the kick, and c) score a touchdown.

Not impossible, just incredibly goddamn unlikely. Onside kick where the ball goes more than 10 yards (or is touched by the other team) that the kicker then scoops and scores.

You'd have better odds of shuffling a deck of cards and dealing out 4 royal flushes.

EDIT:
To take all the football terminology out of that:
Milford is losing 7-0
Milford scores, takes the 1 point kick, makes it 7-7.
Instead of kicking the ball as far as he can downfield, Goofus pops the ball up and starts running.
He then catches it at least 10 yards down field from where he kicked it (or the other team tried to catch it, had it bounce off a dude's hands, and the kicker snagged the loose ball).
Kicker somehow miraculously bobs and weaves through 6 to 11 guys (11 on the field at a time, but normally there's 5 guys close up on a kick return who would already be behind the kicker when he grabs the ball) to the far end of the field for a touchdown, making it 13-7 Milford - no need go for 1 or 2 points, they're up with no time on the clock, game's over.

thisusedyet fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 11, 2022

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Hippocrass posted:

Ok. And the "woke" thing? I really know nothing about Gil Thorp except that one of the 'Left Behind' guy wrote it for awhile.
Tobias is trans

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Giant Ethicist posted:

Also: Hi, thread friends, I've decided to say t'heck with it and start putting my translations up on Mangadex. I'm starting with Uramachi Sakaba and will be working my way through that and then moving on to Q-Rais content like Monya, Chako, and so on over the next little bit. So feel free (if you're a user of that site, or if you've been looking for a way to share Uramachi Sakaba) to give it a look and share the link around: https://mangadex.org/title/168678f1-7b60-4821-9878-cb8be86d88bc/uramachi-sakaba

Hell yea~ I'll def have to share with peeps~

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
b]Heathcliff[/b]

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

:blastu:

Classic Arlo and Janis (November 04, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

someone awful. posted:

Tobias is trans

Ah ok.

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

Wh...what?
That's not what gluten is.
The 'flower' 'flour' pun doesn't even remotely work like that.

gently caress you Holbrook

Hippocrass fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Oct 11, 2022

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Sep. 13, 1953)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Dang I love Arlo and Janis. Look at how expressive that third panel is!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

Nice (Gross) that this kid grows their genitals on their head in the spring.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Do they cut the king's hair and beard as soon as it's clear they're getting a new one or

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 10/10/02

Brenda Starr 8/15-17/49

Smokey Stover 8/6/50

Everyday Movies 8/27/35

"My son Joseph has no head for nothin', so I have to let him go to college."

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

thisusedyet posted:

Not impossible, just incredibly goddamn unlikely. Onside kick where the ball goes more than 10 yards (or is touched by the other team) that the kicker then scoops and scores.

You'd have better odds of shuffling a deck of cards and dealing out 4 royal flushes.

Oh sure, but the game was tied at halftime so it couldn't have been an onside kick as time was winding down. The only thing that makes sense is the kid recovered a fumble on a punt return, but that's not how you'd announce it so I stand by my decision that as described it's an impossible play.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

A Rainbow kick in American Football (as opposed to Soccer)?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

This kid's so good at sports he's winning the game w/ impossible plays, yet transphobes would have him kicked off the team. I hope we've all learned a lesson from this.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Whatever they're trying to describe, they didn't.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

It just goes to show: with the right amount of training and practice, anyone of any gender or orientation can eat an entire football in one bite.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple: The Silvery Moon

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple Website

John Allison posted:

This comic was a bear to draw. It took twice as long as normal. I don’t know why. I just couldn’t frame myself. The next day I came back and fixed it in 20 minutes flat. Sometimes it’s best just to walk away.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

goatface posted:

Whatever they're trying to describe, they didn't.

My best guess is that Tobias faked a drop-kick or punt, kept the ball, and ran for a TD

Or he intentionally fumbled the ball & rainbow-kicked it to himself & yadda yadda.

Getting a soccer reference in, as well as (possibly) the forced pun, was irresistible to the writer.

VVV edit I'm talking about rainbow kick=heel-kicking the ball up over your back & headVVV

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 11, 2022

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
But that would not be a rainbow kick. I don't know if it would be possible to do a rainbow kick with a ball of that shape, maybe if you gave Neymar an hour or two he could work it out. I have no idea what action the character supposedly did.

Whatever they are describing, they have failed. They needed to draw it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

goatface posted:

But that would not be a rainbow kick. I don't know if it would be possible to do a rainbow kick with a ball of that shape, maybe if you gave Neymar an hour or two he could work it out. I have no idea what action the character supposedly did.

Whatever they are describing, they have failed. They needed to draw it.

Come on now, we've all seen the art in Gil Thorpe. If they'd have drawn it nobody would have any clue.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

The_Other posted:

Steeple: The Silvery Moon

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple Website

:munch:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Squishy posted:

Come on now, we've all seen the art in Gil Thorpe. If they'd have drawn it nobody would have any clue.

But at least it would be funny.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I kind of want to hang out with the casual Satanic grannies.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Galley Slaves

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (December 13, 1934)

Peanuts (October 14, 1975)

Two Olds Ruining A Perfectly Good Game

Crankshaft, guest starring Lillian's abject fear of praise.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (May 12, 1939)

Olive & Popeye (Shadia's day on)

Out Our Way (January 22-24, 1940)

Three rode out, one came back. :rip:

While the whole "decoding the past" thing is relatively fresh on our minds, it took me this long to figure out that the reason the little brother with the least amount of worries of any character in this whole outfit was called the "worry wart" is because he's the little wart that makes his big brother worry. The meaning got flipped around at some point, like how "literally" doesn't literally mean "literally" anymore.

Anyway, enough of that, here's a guy busting his rear end on an icy sidewalk.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

"I'd tell you what I meant, but I don't actually get speaking lines in this comic."