Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
oh seems like Alicent canonically did NOT kill the girl

https://www.elitedaily.com/entertainment/what-happened-dyana-house-of-the-dragon-director-explained

quote:

Thankfully, it’s since been revealed that Alicent did not, in fact, poison this poor girl. Speaking to The Hollywood Reporter, the episode director, Geeta Patel, explained the showrunners “were talking about Alicent paying her off and that she would disappear” and confirmed “the tea was definitely to prevent pregnancy — the same tea Young Rhaenyra got” earlier on in the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

I'm glad my read on the scene was right, and that it was an attempt at making Alicent more likable, not less so. It heightens the tragedy of the coming war more if both she and Rhaenyra are at least somewhat sympathetic.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
Oh my god, she didn't poison that girl you terrible TV watchers.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Yeah there was no point in her giving her money if the tea was poison.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Metis of the Hallway posted:

Well, their argument was that the money was a trick to convince her to drink the tea, and would be recovered from her corpse pretty quickly after.

Not that I agreed with it -- just stab her if you're gonna kill her, no poison required -- but there's logic to it.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Metis of the Hallway posted:

We never saw the bag open.

Maybe it's full of uranium. The poison gold.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Xiahou Dun posted:

AAAAAUUUUUGGGHHH!!!!
The bag! The bag is red hot!
Alicent, you rat! You weren't trying to bribe my silence, you were giving me the ol' spicy rock!

How could you give your own serving girl the spicy rock?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Why would Alicent even want to kill that poor girl? Like she explicitly stated in the scene, the girl has no incentive to tell anyone since people would just say that she seduced the prince and blame her. Even if she somehow managed to have his child, and everyone believed it was his, it still wouldn't matter. It is considered perfectly normal and acceptable for men to sire bastard children with random servants; the child would have no claim to anything, and no one would care.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

Okay, but the theorycrafting earlier in the thread suggests that GoT takes place on Earth millions of years in the future, potentially after a nuclear war or some other bad event, where would they get a bag of uranium, smartypants? That city that's full of shoggoths and other Lovecraftian monsters? Please :colbert:

But seriously, the scene was pretty clear it was the plan B tea, some queensguard would've just shanked the girl if Alicent didn't care. "You are no son of mine" right after that, too? Come on people.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

I'm glad my read on the scene was right, and that it was an attempt at making Alicent more likable, not less so. It heightens the tragedy of the coming war more if both she and Rhaenyra are at least somewhat sympathetic.

I definitely thought her forcing her employee to have an abortion and giving no consequences to her rapist made her much more likable. I really sympathized with the poor queen.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I'm just glad that it was ambiguous in a way that didn't just seem like bad writing.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Plan T

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Nah that was what Daemon's first wife did

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Schrodinger's Tea

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

D-Pad posted:

I definitely thought her forcing her employee to have an abortion and giving no consequences to her rapist made her much more likable. I really sympathized with the poor queen.

Yeah I also didn't exactly find her sympathetic when she flipped the switch from "i believe you" to "but noone else will"

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Who were the two ladies on the steps in the moonlight? I was lost in that scene, ngl

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Oct 11, 2022

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

By GOT moral standards, not murdering someone on a whim makes you likeable.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol people thought it was poison

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

If Alicent wanted her dead this would be a dumb way to do it. She could just whisper something to Cole and never even have to be in the same room as her.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just caught up on the latest episode and what a relief that King Goon finally got everybody to stop bickering and everything's going to be okay forever now alright it's all gonna be okay King Goon fixed everything! :byodame:

Paddy Considine has been so good in this, and I love Daemon being delighted to have Aemond as a contender for the role of the family's smirking rear end in a top hat troublemaking rear end-kicker.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Jerusalem posted:

Just caught up on the latest episode and what a relief that King Goon finally got everybody to stop bickering and everything's going to be okay forever now alright it's all gonna be okay King Goon fixed everything! :byodame:

I agree! What a series finale. Looking forward to the next GOT spinoff show.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

ruddiger posted:

Who were the two ladies on the steps in the moonlight? I was lost in that scene, ngl

the head maid (who knows about dyana) and sonoya mizuno doing a bad french accent

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

My man just wanted peace in the kingdom, a happy family, and time to play with his LEGO.

RIP :smith:

His sister looking at him and clearly thinking,"Holy poo poo I dodged a bullet not getting named heir all those years ago :stare:"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

i say swears online posted:

I mean, it is, isn't it? Just likely not fatal to anything but the embryo. Maybe I'm misremembering, but they make a point of saying that it needs to be brewed by someone who knows what they're doing to be safe. I took that to mean that the challenge is in making it bad enough for the body to gently caress up the embryo but not so bad that it kills the woman.

Of course it was not poison in the sense of Alicent intending to kill the girl, which is/was the real contention. You're clearly meant to think it a possibility, or at least, believe the girl believes the possibility is there - and Alicent being aware of that belief.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

It's called moon tea in the books and is the GoT equivalent of historical abortifacients like pennyroyal tea. Gets mentioned a whole bunch in the various books to the extent that whenever 'tea' is mentioned you'd expect it to be the plan B tea.

sad question
May 30, 2020

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Dude should have named Daemon hand from the start. I still honestly believe the guy would have earnestly and vigorously protected the interests of his older brother.
I like that Daemon is generally a nice and calm fella but when he gets in any way exited he turns into Charlie from Always Sunny in wildcard mode.

D-Pad posted:

Well those are just everyday royal things. She might still punish him by not inviting him to her birthday.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I mean, it is, isn't it? Just likely not fatal to anything but the embryo. Maybe I'm misremembering, but they make a point of saying that it needs to be brewed by someone who knows what they're doing to be safe. I took that to mean that the challenge is in making it bad enough for the body to gently caress up the embryo but not so bad that it kills the woman.
Nah it's 100% true it can gently caress you up and you could end up Lysa Tully level of crazy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

sad question posted:

I like that Daemon is generally a nice and calm fella but when he gets in any way exited he turns into Charlie from Always Sunny in wildcard mode.

Vaemond stopping just short of saying bastards, and Daemon's almost excited look as he eagerly egged him on to say it, knowing it would give him an excuse to kill him, was great. Matt Smith really is doing a great job.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Still lolling thinking about that shot of daemon slicing the velaryon brothers head in half and the tongue still poking out right after viserys says he'll have his tongue for that

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
:smug: "He can keep his tongue."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr07fqVYgFY

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i say swears online posted:

The show had its first legit incredible episode so the absolute dumbest chowderheads are gonna start barging in here now to insist Mikes Voice poo poo.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I mean, it is, isn't it? Just likely not fatal to anything but the embryo.

Ah yes, embryo poison as we all call it.

That DICK! fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Oct 11, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

exmarx posted:

sonoya mizuno doing a bad french accent

I was wondering when they'd get back to her and her spy ring(?)

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Some of you people are terrible at watching television.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I thought the point of the tea scene was to establish Aegon went from weird kid jerking off onto the street to actual sex criminal, not really do anything for Alicent’s sympathy.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Alicent obviously didn't kill the maid. The show plays the scene and surrounding scenes so that the question of if Alicent would poison the maid enters your mind, but you have to apply some thought to it and realise that no, she didn't. The intrigue of whether she would go that far is part of what makes the scene interesting.

They are playing with this a lot at this stage of the show - when are people being genuine, how awful is this character in reality - and so far, the answer has mostly been no they aren't that evil, Laenor lived etc.

Then there will come a point when one of them goes way farther than we expect.

TheCardhouse
Oct 7, 2005

Nah she was pressured into that answer. The source interview is here: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/house-of-the-dragon-episode-8-interview-1235235825

The actual exchange they had was:

quote:

At the start of the episode, there was the scene with Dyana, who was then noted as missing. Is she just recovering or transferred to another part of the Red Keep? What are we supposed to assume happened to her when she didn’t return?

I think we’re all waiting for the answer on that. I know [showrunners Ryan Condal and Miguel Sapochnik] were talking about Alicent paying her off and that she would disappear.

Okay. But the tea really was just to prevent pregnancy and Alicent was being sincere — she didn’t secretly, like, have her killed or something.

Oh, the tea was definitely to prevent pregnancy — the same tea Young Rhaenyra got. But after this, I am curious where we go with that character. Does she come up again?

She understood what the interviewer clearly wanted to hear and she didn't want to make it obvious (more than the show already did) that Dyana was killed, so she compromised and said that yeah it was just a contraceptive tea but that she had absolutely no idea what happened to her after that. Maybe we'll even see her again! (lol no we won't)

Consider if she had responded with something like "You tell me, what did you think after watching the episode?". Refusing to answer would have spoken for itself but even if you ignored that and only focused on the episode, the only way to answer is that they didn't directly tell us but they did everything else to imply that Alicent killed her to guarantee her silence. That's why people are asking the question to begin with.

D-Pad posted:

The implication in universe to the girl was it was plan b tea, that is what the queen wanted her to think. The implication to the audience was she killed her. Really isn't any reason to show the following scene where she is missing and the queen very uncharacteristically hugs the other serving woman looking for her if she was just holed up with some bad cramps or down the road with a big bag of gold.

This post gets it. It was her daughter Helaena she hugged not a serving woman but it's still right. It's Chekhov's gun: they wouldn't have told us Dyana was missing for no reason. They had a reason and that reason was to let us know it wasn't just Plan B Tea. The ominous double speak during the conversation ("I know you won't tell anyone", "it's best to be certain") is just icing on the cake.

The reason Alicent gave her the bag of coins first was so Dyana didn't suffer by knowing she was about to die, as she was otherwise starting to realize when she insisted she'd never tell anyone else. Alicent was willing to kill to guarantee her silence but she knew it wasn't her fault so there was no reason she needed or wanted to make it more painful than it had to be. She's amorally pragmatic, not sadistic.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Jim gif

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Can’t believe that dastardly Hollywood Reporter interviewer pressured the director into giving false answers.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Aegon getting cancelled is a season 2 arc for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

wizardofloneliness posted:

Can’t believe that dastardly Hollywood Reporter interviewer pressured the director into giving false answers.

Now im gonna ask you that question again, and this time, you're gonna loving get it right, ok? Would. Viserys. And. Thomas The Tank Engine. Be. Friends.